Applebees & IHOP closings

Posted 11 day(s) ago 2182 Views 79 Replies
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Can't remember that last time I ate at either one of these places.

Applebee's closing up to 135 restaurants; 25 IHOP locations could close

I won't miss them.

Some of you fatties might.

The Glendale, Calif.-based parent of Applebee’s and IHOP restaurants said Thursday that as many as 160 locations could close throughout this fiscal year.

DineEquity Inc. revised expectations for the full fiscal year during its quarterly earnings call, saying that 105 to 135 Applebee’s restaurants could close, compared to previous expectations that 40 to 60 locations could shut down. These closures will be determined based on criteria such as store profitability, operational results and “brand quality standards.”

I've done some late night drunk IHOP within the past year or so but I don't think I've set foot inside an Applebee's in at least 10 years.
    3 users like mgsooner's post: CrimsonHeaven, Val on the Getner, wendyaveli

Good riddance.

Originally Posted by VUGear View Post
    Because they suck. IHOP makes crap that not even Applebee's would serve.

I like butter pecan syrup though I have a love/hate relationship with pancakes. Pancakes are one of those foods that always sound and smell better than they are. After eating pancakes with syrup, I always feel like shit from all the sugar.

When I see Applebees, I'm always reminded of the story of Matt Leinart's visit to Oklahoma and how the staff treated him to Applebees which cemented his decision not to attend Oklahoma.
    The following users like this post: Crazyivan

Food Network, technology, and the like have definitely shifted consumer preferences. No longer can chains serve average to below-average food and charge $20 for it. People expect more these days....

Olive Garden, Outback, Ruby Tuesday's......you're up to bat.
    4 users like soonervegas's post: AcousticSoup, KCRuf/Nek, Organic Potatoes, sooner59

IHOP? Really? Place is where all the drunks go. Can't see why that place would be doing bad business.

Crapplebees sucks. Next to go is probably Ruby Tuesdays or Outback Steakhouse.

I havent been to an Appkebees in a long time. There was a time where the had a good product and service but not any more. There are plenty of local places around here where you can get a much better product for less.
    The following users like this post: Bk2X

Never had Applebee's but IHOP used to be a place I would go twice a week after midnight.

Every once in awhile I get dragged to one of these types of places for lunch by some of my less...cosmopolitan...co-workers.

Chili's a a few years ago, absolutely god awful. Ordered a club sandwich and I'd rather just spread some french's on some wheat bread with some grocery store deli ham. Never again unless I'm essentially taken at gunpoint.

Outback a couple of years back, literally all I could taste was salt. The entire meal was like a salt lick.

Olive Garden a couple of times in the past couple of years, honestly not bad. The salad is good, the breadsticks are decent, the soup is decent. Some of their sandwiches and pastas aren't bad either. I wouldn't choose to go there myself but in a pinch it's doable.
    4 users like mgsooner's post: Clark W. Griswold, KCRuf/Nek, Morningwood, SiggyPoke

iHOP is awesome . . . great place to stop in for a meal when traveling.

Haven't eaten at an Applebee's in forever.
    The following users like this post: KCRuf/Nek

Shame, my dad (82) and one of his elderly friends go to Applebees every Wednesday like clock work and eat and drink a Bloody Mary. That is the only time the friend ever gets out of the house. Sad. Also, my dad takes him to the liquor store, lol, elderly drinker!
    3 users like ProudSoonerMom's post: lonetreebill, SoonerAtty, wendyaveli

Originally Posted by ProudSoonerMom View Post
    Shame, my dad (82) and one of his elderly friends go to Applebees every Wednesday like clock work and eat and drink a Bloody Mary. That is the only time the friend ever gets out of the house. Sad. Also, my dad takes him to the liquor store, lol, elderly drinker!
    Your dad is an enabler.
    3 users like Stinger_1066's post: lonetreebill, ProudSoonerMom, SiggyPoke

Originally Posted by Strangers View Post
    IHOP? Really? Place is where all the drunks go. Can't see why that place would be doing bad business.

They want in so bad they drive cars right inside:

An Oklahoma woman sentenced to serve seven years in prison for crashing her sport utility vehicle into an IHOP restaurant while drunk.

From 2009/NW OKC Exp IHOP

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.koco....collom/4286714
    The following users like this post: KCRuf/Nek

Originally Posted by Stinger_1066 View Post
    Your dad is an enabler.
    You wish you had someone buying your booze.
    The following users like this post: OU48A

Originally Posted by KCRuf/Nek View Post
    You wish you had someone buying your booze.
    I only drink what I can afford to buy myself.

Your dad is an enabler.
    He also enjoys the eating! Enabler, ok.
    The following users like this post: Stinger_1066

Haven't been to any of them but Chilis in many years, mostly college.

Applebee's a few times drunk for happy hour apps. Tried a quesadilla burger there once and like it...drunk tough.

IHOP I can't remember because it never happened before midwife in college. You get the idea.

Ruby Tuesdays blah. Outback blah. Olive Garden I'd pass but the unlimited soups and salads with bread sticks aren't bad.

Chili's I do like their chicken crispers and one of their new burgers. Otherwise, I'll pass. I try not to eat at chains in gereral unless it's the only option.

Originally Posted by mgsooner View Post
    Every once in awhile I get dragged to one of these types of places for lunch by some of my less...cosmopolitan...co-workers.

Chili's a a few years ago, absolutely god awful. Ordered a club sandwich and I'd rather just spread some french's on some wheat bread with some grocery store deli ham. Never again unless I'm essentially taken at gunpoint.

Outback a couple of years back, literally all I could taste was salt. The entire meal was like a salt lick.

Olive Garden a couple of times in the past couple of years, honestly not bad. The salad is good, the breadsticks are decent, the soup is decent. Some of their sandwiches and pastas aren't bad either. I wouldn't choose to go there myself but in a pinch it's doable.
    3 users like SiggyPoke's post: pphilfran, Stinger_1066, StroudSooner

ill admit, on a random late night, i do get down on the quesadilla burger @ the Mustang location.

I don't eat at Applebee's. Big menu, but all their food is kind of meh. Nothing that I lures me back.

IHOP on the other hand makes pancakes.....I love pancakes. Eat there 5 or 6 times a year.

Chili's will always hold a special place in my heart. I had to live in Mexico City for 2 years for a consulting project. I thought the food was, for the most part, terrible. However, there was a Chili's across the street from my apartment and the food tasted exactly like the American version. So, although the food was average by American standards, it tasted like Ruth's Chris to me at the time.

I've always called Applebees "Crapplebees." I've only been a few times, but I'm shocked that place lasted as long as it did. Not a fan.

IHOP is a staple of life.

Applebees is a shithole. God save the grand slam!

Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    Never had Applebee's but IHOP used to be a place I would go twice a week after midnight.
    I can't remember the last time I was able to stay up until midnight twice in a week, much less be out somewhere. I'm so old :-(

Originally Posted by S00nerJay View Post
    I like butter pecan syrup though I have a love/hate relationship with pancakes. Pancakes are one of those foods that always sound and smell better than they are.
    Definitely had better cakes, but that BP syrup more than makes up for that deficiency. That place has been our post-Christmas Eve church service dinner tradition now for nearly 20 years.

Last time I took the wife to IHOP it costs $30 for breakfast. Breakfast. $4 orange juice. Commercials seem like everything is sugar. Just a rip off.

Have you ever heard someone say, "You know what sounds good.....Applebees." Nope, me either.
    The following users like this post: nocalsooner

Instead of IHOP, if there's a First Watch near you, try that. It's one of my go tos for when I rarely get out for breakfast.
    2 users like sooner59's post: EdwordL, Strangers

What's next?!?! Waffle House?!?!? Gawddamn liberal millenials! You all better stay off my gawddamn lawn!

Originally Posted by lonetreebill View Post
    What's next?!?! Waffle House?!?!? Gawddamn liberal millenials! You all better stay off my gawddamn lawn!
    Millennials love Waffle House. I can tell you that much.

Originally Posted by Strangers View Post

TGI Fridays?

Originally Posted by Silentsniper1516 View Post
    Millennials love Waffle House. I can tell you that much.
    and Waffle House is cheap.....you can still play ball there.

Originally Posted by TexasSucks View Post
    TGI Fridays?
    Haven't been in years but I like their Jack Daniels burger. And I hear they have unlimited $10 apps now. I could probably contribute to their closing.

Originally Posted by lonetreebill View Post
    4 users like KCRuf/Nek's post: EdwordL, lonetreebill, Mixer!, ThievingMagpie

i went to an applebee's recently and couldn't believe how bad the piped music was. it was a loud form of modern rock crap à la vans warped tour and every awful band with a number in their name. i couldn't believe how dreadful it was and told everyone at the table that this place isn't half bad, save the loud shit they make you yell over. anything would have been 1,000 times better: jazz, psychedelic rock, avant-garde, fusion, classic rock, soul, indie, symphonic, calypso, folk, sludge rock, lo-fi, house, big band, goth, classic country, bossanova, ...
    ****in' a n y t h i n g.
    a n y t h i n g.
    a n y t h i n g.

Originally Posted by sooner59 View Post
    Haven't been in years but I like their Jack Daniels burger. And I hear they have unlimited $10 apps now. I could probably contribute to their closing.
    Speaking of:

http://gawker.com/my-14-hour-search-...-ap-1606122925

The day after "Endless Appetizers" was announced, I went to TGI Friday's in the Brooklyn neighborhood of Sheepshead Bay. I wanted to challenge the hubris of a company co-opting the infinite for a marketing gimmick. I wanted to demand accountability from copywriters.

I wanted to call their bluff and eat appetizers until they kicked me out, to seek the limit of this supposedly limitless publicity stunt.

I soon learned the limit does not exist.
    The following users like this post: sooner59

Now if only the food courts in malls would close.

Originally Posted by nocalsooner View Post
    Or just close malls. Hoi polloi central...

Frankly, I'm amazed Applebee's has made it this far. Who chooses to go there if a viable alternative exists? It makes Chili's look positively sophisticated.

IHOP? Gross, but serves a drunken night purpose.

Lol @ the poseurs itt

Anyone who doesn't enjoy Chilis margs + fajitas + bottomless chips/salsa doesn't know about the finer things in life

Your dad is an enabler.
    Whatever Sting, at their age I figure they can do as they wish.

About 15 years ago, I took my family to IHOP. My young son ordered pancakes and bacon. The fact that I remember this is an indication of how bad it was: Each strip of bacon was severely undercooked (let's call it pork sashimi) in places and severely overcooked (burnt to a coal-black) in other places.

If you **** up bacon and you're a breakfast place, there's no hope.
    The following users like this post: Stinger_1066

Originally Posted by Seneca39 View Post
    Or just close malls. Hoi polloi central...

Frankly, I'm amazed Applebee's has made it this far. Who chooses to go there if a viable alternative exists? It makes Chili's look positively sophisticated.

IHOP? Gross, but serves a drunken night purpose.
    this is the key....they tend to locate where few viable alternatives exist....
    take enid for example.....you have a bunch of chains...... a whole bunch of independent "authentic" mexican restaurants......and fast food
    there are very few independent non-mexican restaurants and the quality isn't much different than chilis/applebees..
    the best non-chain is a place called costello's.....and it will set you back about $30-$40/person........
    i can cook the same quality at home for a heck of alot less....

Originally Posted by nocalsooner View Post
    Hey now. I gotta sample my bourban chicken. And I've seen some decent places in food courts before. If you're eating on a budget of course. However at the outlet mall in West Palm Beach, FL (across the street from my old place), every Sunday there would be a Mexican stand outside where they cooked in front of you. I'd load up on amazing food and go home and watch football all day and stuff my face.
    The following users like this post: ThievingMagpie

Oh he knows.
    2 users like KCRuf/Nek's post: ProudSoonerMom, Stinger_1066

IHOPs are quite popular with HS school kids. Growing up after FB games we would all go for pizza.

Nowadays its IHOPs that are packed after games

Speaking of age, you responded to the same post twice.

Spoiler:
      Spoiler:

LT. Where only the elite upper crust of society hang out

Applebees has always sucked but I would eat there everyday if the other option was Olive Garden. On the other hand, on road trips IHOP has satisfied the kids and myself many times.
    3 users like Makaveli's post: 87sooner, KCRuf/Nek, PokeJ

Interesting. I stopped in Bryan/College Station last night and the local Crapplebee's was right across the street. I walked over, had a single ****tail (that they measured), and ordered some wings (as hot as they could make them was my request when asked "what kind?") and a side salad. To go. Got to my room and the salad was warmer than the wings. Seriously. Limp greens, soggy croutons, and wings that were some of the worst I've ever eaten. When I get 9 wings and only eat 6? They're really ****ing bad. Good riddance.
    The following users like this post: PokeJ

Originally Posted by Slytherin View Post
    Interesting. I stopped in Bryan/College Station last night and the local Crapplebee's was right across the street. I walked over, had a single ****tail (that they measured), and ordered some wings (as hot as they could make them was my request when asked "what kind?") and a side salad. To go. Got to my room and the salad was warmer than the wings. Seriously. Limp greens, soggy croutons, and wings that were some of the worst I've ever eaten. When I get 9 wings and only eat 6? They're really ****ing bad. Good riddance.
    But how was the ****tail?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Originally Posted by PokeJ View Post
    But how was the ****tail?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Weak. As was the fat-assed bartender with a big braid going crooked down her neck and wearing a hat sideways who poured it. She was going on and on bragging to some new, young bartender about how it got rocking in there during football season. It is Bryan/College Station after all.

Originally Posted by Final.Answer? View Post
    IHOP is a staple of life.

Applebees is a shithole. God save the grand slam!
    Denny's?

Originally Posted by Slytherin View Post
    i bet you eat at applebees all the time...and love it..
    probly even have an applebees credit card....