SEC Speed Josh Rosen: College football and studying are incompatible - trashes Bama

UCLA quarterback Josh Rosen says college football and studying are incompatible

“Look, football and school don't go together,” Rosen told the website last spring. “They just don’t. Trying to do both is like trying to do two full-time jobs. There are guys who have no business being in school, but they’re here because this is the path to the NFL. There’s no other way.

“Then there’s the other side that says raise the SAT eligibility requirements. OK, raise the SAT requirement at Alabama and see what kind of team they have. You lose athletes and then the product on the field suffers.”

I knew a guy in college that was a football player under Schnelly. He wanted to be an Engineering major. Schnelly told him he couldn't major in that AND play football, and to pick between the two because he wouldn't have time for both. He chose to be an Engineer.

Rip on Bama all you want... nobody said a word when Pete Carroll was doing it at USC, Californy boys.
    5 users like 49cent's post: BoomSoon2016, ChpThril, SCV Sooner, soonergrad, soonerschooner

You can read it how you want. The way I read it is, if you raise academic standards anywhere the pool of players goes down when you do. He used Alabama because they are unquestionably the top dog in college football. UCLA certainly lets in athletes who would never in a million years qualify otherwise. Overall, their standards are tougher than Alabama or OU for athletes, but not by as much as most people think.

His comment about football and school is nothing new. College football is like a full time job, at least during the season. A full time job makes full time classes a ****. Ask anyone who worked full time while going to college. Even at Stanford, athletes in major sports are discouraged from taking time consuming majors.
    5 users like palisooner's post: BoomSoon2016, soonerschooner, soonirvana, Widescreen, Yuck Fu

Read the full article, this young man is shooting it straight. I didn't read this as a hit peice.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    5 users like Spade1000's post: EufaulaSooner, goldenokiebear, Hammer2Bones, soonercoop1, Widescreen

Originally Posted by Spade1000 View Post
    Read the full article, this young man is shooting it straight. I didn't read this as a hit peice.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    As long as he realizes putting forth 40-50 hours of effort outside of class/study time isn't unique to football players or athletes in general.

Note: For the record I did BOTH (job and school) and was a very average to below average undergrad student.
    3 users like soonervegas's post: OU48A, SoonerCAS, Stinger_1066

Originally Posted by soonervegas View Post
    As long as he realizes putting forth 40-50 hours of effort outside of class/study time isn't unique to football players or athletes in general.

Note: For the record I did BOTH (job and school) and was a very average to below average undergrad student.
    Exactly. A lot of other students work full time in order to pay for their education.

All Josh Rosen has to do is go play a game to pay for his.

Nothing wrong with that, but don't whine about it.

He actually has it easier the some other students do.
    6 users like Stinger_1066's post: cbsooner, Mephistopheles, OU48A, SoonerCAS, soonerschooner, StatGeek

I'm okay with his prediction coming true. I love college football but the standards should be raised. The attitude that school doesn't matter is precisely why this country has gone to shit. Let the product suffer.
    3 users like Lout's post: ShreyK21, TIMB0B, whiskeytangofoxtrot

....didn't bother Steve Davis, he did both at a high level and preached on Sundays.... Rosen sounds whiney

SS
    2 users like South slider's post: StatGeek, Stinger_1066

Originally Posted by palisooner View Post
    Overall, their standards are tougher than Alabama or OU for athletes, but not by as much as most people think.
    I'd bet that if UCLA wanted a guy bad enough they would let him in with the minimum NCAA standard just like OU or Bama would (provided he qualified by the Pac's minimum standard as well).

I'll take the Allen kid at Wyoming over Rosen

Rosen has said some interesting things over the years.

IIRC, when in HS, he mentioned he didn't really care if he played football. Hard to be great at something that you don't care if you did or not.

Total snowflake mentality.

Can't wait until he flunks out of the NFL and finds out the real world isn't a 40 hour weeks either. If you want success in a career, you'll be at work early and stay until the work is done.....depending on the job, facilities that run 24/7 don't do that without some people putting in extra time. Forty hours a week gives you a dead end career.
    5 users like meandmybutt's post: freedombird, OU48A, SCV Sooner, soonerschooner, StatGeek

Wait until he has to study a playbook in the NFL.

Jesus, are millenials completely helpless? All I heard last summer was this guy was the best NFL QB in college.

Man up you ****. Hell, even Vince Young didn't say this and he's brain dead.
    4 users like Final.Answer?'s post: ouwasp, SoonerBornPanda, soonerschooner, StatGeek

Doing both is tough. Doing both well is even tougher. Doing both and having any resemblance to a normal college life... well, that doesn't happen.

(And yes, some do both well, including people that work full time. The difference is that the person working full time has a job that likely sucks compared to what they want to do. On the football field, these kids are studs and school sucks compared to playing - or even practicing.)
    2 users like LostCreekSooner's post: blackfrancois, freedombird

I did neither and got neither migraines nor concussions. There both overrated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Originally Posted by meandmybutt View Post

Can't wait until he flunks out of the NFL and finds out the real world isn't a 40 hour weeks either. If you want success in a career, you'll be at work early and stay until the work is done.....depending on the job, facilities that run 24/7 don't do that without some people putting in extra time. Forty hours a week gives you a dead end career.
    This dude comes from a rich family. He ain't worried.

Originally Posted by Yuck Fu View Post
    ....good, a **** with zero survival skills....easy target during the zombie apocalypse

SS

Originally Posted by sperry View Post
    He's dead on.
    No, he's not. Then reason is that he points at Bama, making it seem as if only Bama, or the SEC or teams in the South, have the problem. I'd bet a million bucks that no more than a third of UCLA football players could get admitted to the school without football.

For football and basketball, this is a national problem. Anybody who thinks his teams are not affected is hopelessly naive. Anybody who thinks his team's jocks do not find Easy A-B classes is hopelessly naive.

Originally Posted by WoadBlue View Post
    No, he's not. Then reason is that he points at Bama, making it seem as if only Bama, or the SEC or teams in the South, have the problem. I'd bet a million bucks that no more than a third of UCLA football players could get admitted to the school without football.

For football and basketball, this is a national problem. Anybody who thinks his teams are not affected is hopelessly naive. Anybody who thinks his team's jocks do not find Easy A-B classes is hopelessly naive.
    Do you think it's any different at Notre Dame? Or North Carolina? Or Stanford? The median freshman SAT is from a more recent year than the football numbers, but I think the gaps are still pretty accurate. And assuming that some kids do come in at or above the freshman average, how many kids in Stanford's recruiting class are below 1000 in order to drag the average down that low. The reality is that ANY university that has highly selective admissions standards and is trying to be competitive, much less elite, in the foosball is going to be bringing kids in who have no business being on that campus and trying to find ways to keep them eligible.

The football SAT numbers are from 2008 too, which is when Harbaugh was at Stanford and shows what a hypocritical POS he was when he attacked Michigan for making academic compromises for football players.

Stanford: 1176 (1475) -299
    UCLA: 990 (1305) -315
    Cal: 984 (1355) -371
    Ore: 969 (1105) -136
    Wash: 963 (1230) -267
    USC: 955 (1380) -425
    Ariz: 948 (1107) -159
    Ariz St: 937 (1145) -208
    Ore St: 928 (1100) -172
    Wash St: 920 (1030) -90
    3 users like Vic Ferrari's post: ShreyK21, whiskeytangofoxtrot, Yuck Fu

Originally Posted by WoadBlue View Post

I like that a UNC fan has an opinion on this. Regardless of what I think of it
    2 users like Hang Half a Hundred's post: Q-Ball, RockE

He will likely be poor someday....won't take Long

He will likely be poor someday....won't take Long
    We are talking about Joshua Ballinger Lippincott Rosen here. Guys with four names don't go broke. Lol.
    The following users like this post: Stinger_1066

We are talking about Joshua Ballinger Lippincott Rosen here. Guys with four names don't go broke. Lol.
    Agree. We're not talking about Manziel type stupid here. He's a douche, but since when do rich, connected, relatively intelligent Jewish douches fall on their faces in LA?

Originally Posted by Vic Ferrari View Post
    Do you think it's any different at Notre Dame? Or North Carolina? Or Stanford? The median freshman SAT is from a more recent year than the football numbers, but I think the gaps are still pretty accurate. And assuming that some kids do come in at or above the freshman average, how many kids in Stanford's recruiting class are below 1000 in order to drag the average down that low. The reality is that ANY university that has highly selective admissions standards and is trying to be competitive, much less elite, in the foosball is going to be bringing kids in who have no business being on that campus and trying to find ways to keep them eligible.

The football SAT numbers are from 2008 too, which is when Harbaugh was at Stanford and shows what a hypocritical POS he was when he attacked Michigan for making academic compromises for football players.

Stanford: 1176 (1475) -299
    UCLA: 990 (1305) -315
    Cal: 984 (1355) -371
    Ore: 969 (1105) -136
    Wash: 963 (1230) -267
    USC: 955 (1380) -425
    Ariz: 948 (1107) -159
    Ariz St: 937 (1145) -208
    Ore St: 928 (1100) -172
    Wash St: 920 (1030) -90
    It's interesting that the elite schools have the biggest discrepancy. It looks like Stanford might not take some of the athletes that the lower end state schools do but the rest of them look like they pretty much do take some. But as you said, Stanford takes some guys that wouldn't have a prayer of getting in without football.
    Last edited by Yuck Fu; August 12th, 2017 at 04:22 PM.

Originally Posted by Vic Ferrari View Post
    Agree. We're not talking about Manziel type stupid here. He's a douche, but since when do rich, connected, relatively intelligent Jewish douches fall on their faces in LA?
    When your folks are wealthy then it's a lot easier to be a snow flake or a **** up. I guess Rosen's dad is some high fallutin' spine surgeon at UC Irvine and his mom comes from a family with deep pockets.

I bet Manziel is starving despite being a colossal screw up given his family's cash. Rich people shouldn't be allowed to spawn star athletes. It ain't fair.

It's interesting that the elite schools have the biggest discrepancy. It looks like Stanford might not take some of the athletes that the lower end state schools do but the rest of them like like they pretty much do take some. But as you said, Stanford takes some guys that wouldn't have a prayer of getting in without football.
    Yeah. They might not dip as deep into the well as some of the other schools, but they still take kids who'd have no chance of ever getting into Stanford otherwise. Then again, they do this for legacies, developmental admits etc. I knew someone who worked in the Clinton White House and said Chelsea was a B student with 1200 SATs. The only super-elite schools that really don't do that are Chicago, MIT & CalTech, and that's probably in big part because those schools don't really appeal to the Chelsea Clintons and Winklevoss twins of the world in the first place versus Harvard-Yale-Princeton and Stanford.
    The following users like this post: Yuck Fu

Wait till Josh Rosen becomes a parent. He will find that football or any full-time job simply doesn't jive with being a parent.

You do it anyway.

what about baseball? those play 237 games in the spring.

What I took from this confirms my opinion that there should be an amateur football league created (for 18 to 23 year olds). A growing number of student-athletes argue they should be paid to play in college, while I think that's fine, but you must take away the athletic scholarship in return. They can apply for academic scholarships if they qualify. Not all kids will reach the academic standards for college, but if they can play in an amateur league that compensated them during those NFL development years, it would keep their chances of a professional career afloat. My only stipulation would be that the amateur league is hard-nosed with disciplinary measures like the military.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Originally Posted by palisooner View Post
    You can read it how you want. The way I read it is, if you raise academic standards anywhere the pool of players goes down when you do. He used Alabama because they are unquestionably the top dog in college football. UCLA certainly lets in athletes who would never in a million years qualify otherwise. Overall, their standards are tougher than Alabama or OU for athletes, but not by as much as most people think.

His comment about football and school is nothing new. College football is like a full time job, at least during the season. A full time job makes full time classes a ****. Ask anyone who worked full time while going to college. Even at Stanford, athletes in major sports are discouraged from taking time consuming majors.
    UCLA raises their standards for football players above the NCAA minimum? Is this documented anywhere?

1. No. That's outdated thinking. You don't have to work 60 hours a week to not have a dead end job.
    2. You realize he's probably working a lot more than 40 hours a week right now right?

What percentage of full time students average 40-50 hours working (or doing school-related extra-curricular activities) outside school? What percentage of engineering students?

I'd guess extremely low, but I don't know.

I'm not sure I knew anyone who did this. I knew people who worked part time. I knew people involved in extracurricular activities. I had one friend on the track team (still <40 hours a week, in season).

I'm not sure I knew anyone who worked 40 hours and went to school full time.

What do you mean by average to below average student? That you put in an average to below average amount of time between work and school combined? Or that you performed at an average to below average level as a student?

It's interesting that the elite schools have the biggest discrepancy. It looks like Stanford might not take some of the athletes that the lower end state schools do but the rest of them look like they pretty much do take some. But as you said, Stanford takes some guys that wouldn't have a prayer of getting in without football.
    Some guys? I'd wager well over 90% wouldn't have a chance.

edit: only factoring in academics, not any affirmative action policies.

Originally Posted by MI Sooner View Post
    Some guys? I'd wager well over 90% wouldn't have a chance.

edit: only factoring in academics, not any affirmative action policies.

Probably true but I hate to dog Stanford about it because the stats posted indicate that Stanford still pretty much only takes solid to above average students for football. It's clear most of the other schools probably take some guys that are more toward the NCAA minimums. Maybe not as many as OU or Bama or other schools but obviously some.

A cousin of mine was offered by Stanford with a B+ average in high school. They told him they'd help him raise that to an A. He played at Washington instead.

Originally Posted by Balko View Post
    A cousin of mine was offered by Stanford with a B+ average in high school. They told him they'd help him raise that to an A. He played at Washington instead.
    he didn't want the A or what?

Originally Posted by beelzeBob View Post
    I knew a guy in college that was a football player under Schnelly. He wanted to be an Engineering major. Schnelly told him he couldn't major in that AND play football, and to pick between the two because he wouldn't have time for both. He chose to be an Engineer.
    Anyone notice Jordan Thomas changed his major?

Originally Posted by RockE View Post
    he didn't want the A or what?
    He figured B+ was his ceiling. Also, he wanted to play for Don James.

We ain't come to play school.