Zero Turn Mowers

Posted 10 day(s) ago 1618 Views 53 Replies
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Recruitment Zero Turn Mowers

I've been out of the game for a while when it comes to ZTR Mowers. I haven't needed one for about 10 years now but am in the process of building a house on a bigger lot so I will need a ZTR. I don't need a 60" for sure....heck I'm thinking like a 48" cut. My question is...for the money, what are the best ZTR mowers out there? I have always been an Exmark fan, but MAN those things are pricey. I don't need the "best" mower out there, just the best value.

I would love to hear what you guys suggest.

TIA

Hustler raptor hd series.
    The following users like this post: BehindEnemyLines

Originally Posted by dyabolical View Post
    There is a dealer in Broken Bow that will sell you a 42 inch Hustler for $2799. That is heck of a deal, considering I paid almost 8 grand for my Grasshopper 5 years ago.

Originally Posted by Bustarime View Post
    There is a dealer in Broken Bow that will sell you a 42 inch Hustler for $2799. That is heck of a deal, considering I paid almost 8 grand for my Grasshopper 5 years ago.
    where are grasshoppers and hustlers made?

I've owned 2 hustlers and been happy with them. Depending on the terrain you are mowing you might want to consider a Ferris. Ferris provides a smoother ride if you yard is kind of bumpy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Originally Posted by 87sooner View Post
    where are grasshoppers and hustlers made?
    Both are manufactured in Kansas

Walker mowers. /thread.

I have a Husqvarna and have had no probs

I have a 48", but wished I had gone with the 54". Not because of cutting capacity, but the 54" comes with larger tires and more traction.

i have about an 11 year old deere.....727a.....
    i would recommend you find one of these with low hours
    stick with the green deck models....kawasaki engines...
    the new residential models with yellow decks are low quality made in china crap....

The key to winning any game.

automower, Installed one of these, works great, keeps my bermuda at 1.5 inches constantly. Two suggestions, (1) mow with a regular mower first without leaving too much clippings on the yard and (2) Don't use the weather timer feature. Its been awesome. I think anyone with bermuda can appreciate it being always maintained at 1.5 inches.

Originally Posted by bmrsnr28 View Post
    automower, Installed one of these, works great, keeps my bermuda at 1.5 inches constantly. Two suggestions, (1) mow with a regular mower first without leaving too much clippings on the yard and (2) Don't use the weather timer feature. Its been awesome. I think anyone with bermuda can appreciate it being always maintained at 1.5 inches.
    OMG...thats brilliant.

How does it transition to a fenced backyard?

My yard is 1.5 acres all open. I guess you could frame out a 2X2 section of the fence if it was wooden and I don't think that would look bad. When I asked the dealer he said if people have big enough yards with a fence they just buy two. They make smaller units as well. I would think eventually they would come out with some kind of magnetic fence or one that operates on a close range wireless signal.

Stay away from Kawasaki engines....
    The following users like this post: SoCaliSooner

Originally Posted by Breadburner View Post
    Stay away from Kawasaki engines....
    Never had a problem with mine. I'm still using my 2003 John Deere JX75 push mower with 6.5 hp Kawasaki. Still starts on the first pull.

Originally Posted by kingswitz View Post
    Never had a problem with mine. I'm still using my 2003 John Deere JX75 push mower with 6.5 hp Kawasaki. Still starts on the first pull.
    Talking zero turns....I know 2 people with Kawa's on their zero turns both are having trouble....1 has had trouble since it was new....

Talking zero turns....I know 2 people with Kawa's on their zero turns both are having trouble....1 has had trouble since it was new....
    you have stupid/methburner friends who don't know wtf they're doing.....like that's a surprise...
    like your "logic".....kawasakis are fine on a push mower but not on a ztr.....brilliant...
    do you know anything about anything?

you have stupid/methburner friends who don't know wtf they're doing.....like that's a surprise...
    like your "logic".....kawasakis are fine on a push mower but not on a ztr.....brilliant...
    do you know anything about anything?
    Please pull your head out....Not to mention the fact your reading comprehension sucks....And work on those daddy issues....

For residential, hustler seems like a good choice. They have a better seat and handles than the equivalent model Deere. We bought a residential Deere z355r and it is good for mowing rental properties. . Mulch control option is nice. We have a commercial Deere Z915B for our house. It is 4 acres of converted cow pasture. I would have destroyed a residential mower in the first mow. If going Deere I would get at least a 5 series or start looking for auctions with used commercial mowers. It seems like many farmers last purchase is a commercial Deere zero turn as I have seen several pop up at local farm auctions.

Please pull your head out....Not to mention the fact your reading comprehension sucks....And work on those daddy issues....

you're an idiot who gives bad advice..
    i have deere generator with a suburu.....deere power washer with honda......deere ztr with kawasaki.......the best small engines made....
    what specific problems did your methhead friends have with their kawasakis?

I own a couple Hustlers. A 48" and a 60". The 48" is about 6-7 years old. The 60" is about 3 years old. We mow...a lot. Acres and acres. One has a Kawasaki engine and the other is a Honda I think. Doesn't matter though, neither have caused me a minute's problem. I don't have time to **** with them, so I take them to Dave's Small Engine in Noble at the start of the season and have blades replaced, oil and hydraulic oil replaced, filters, belts checked, etc. Usually costs me about $150 for both mowers. Then we run the shit out of them all summer. Rinse and repeat. Good mowers.
    2 users like Slytherin's post: Bob, Section31

Originally Posted by dyabolical View Post
    Hustler and Big Dog are the same mower and manufactured in the same plant with different paint schemes. Big Dogs cost less and usually have a some incentives on them.

Nothing wrong with Kawasaki engines. They are very good engines.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    3 users like Tundra's post: 87sooner, Bustarime, Section31

Originally Posted by SoonerPT View Post
    Hustler and Big Dog are the same mower and manufactured in the same plant with different paint schemes. Big Dogs cost less and usually have a some incentives on them.
    I have a Big Dog with a Kawasaki engine. Excellent product. I work it pretty hard and it still runs like new after 5 yrs.

Find one with a welded deck instead of the stamped stuff. Welded decks are rugged and wont's rust out as quickly over time. Keep them clean and they'll last indefinitely. The key for any motor is to keep the oil and filters changed. Personally I believe Honda motors run smoothest of them all, followed by the Kawasaki.
    The following users like this post: SoonerPT

Most ZTR owners are aware of MTD.

When you buy a riding mower at Home Depot, Lowes, etcetera; they are built by a company called MTD. Even if they carry the name of John Deere, Cub Cadet, etc. These mowers are built for homeowner use, and thus have inferior spindles, mowing decks of lighter gauge steel, and other lesser quality components.

Mowers built for commercial use are not available at big box stores. They are typically found at tractor dealers and individually-owned mower shops.

You can buy a commercial grade John Deere, Toro, and other ZTR's, or you can buy a homeowner version of the same brand, at Lowe's or Home Depot. But they don't carry commercial grade mowers.

A lot of people that don't do their homework believe a John Deere is a John Deere, no matter what. Make sure you find out if its at a commercial grade mower or a homeowner version. I'm pretty sure that certain brands of ZTR mowers (Hustler, Grasshopper, Ferris, Scag, Dixie Chopper, and a few others) are all commercial quality.

Originally Posted by Bustarime View Post
    Most ZTR owners are aware of MTD.

When you buy a riding mower at Home Depot, Lowes, etcetera; they are built by a company called MTD. Even if they carry the name of John Deere, Cub Cadet, etc. These mowers are built for homeowner use, and thus have inferior spindles, mowing decks of lighter gauge steel, and other lesser quality components.

Mowers built for commercial use are not available at big box stores. They are typically found at tractor dealers and individually-owned mower shops.

You can buy a commercial grade John Deere, Toro, and other ZTR's, or you can buy a homeowner version of the same brand, at Lowe's or Home Depot. But they don't carry commercial grade mowers.

A lot of people that don't do their homework believe a John Deere is a John Deere, no matter what. Make sure you find out if its at a commercial grade mower or a homeowner version. I'm pretty sure that certain brands of ZTR mowers (Hustler, Grasshopper, Ferris, Scag, Dixie Chopper, and a few others) are all commercial quality.
    wrt deere....if it has a yellow deck and a briggs motor......run...

also....if you plan to keep it a while.....deere will have parts available for many years...
    in 10-15 years.......will the off brands even be in business?.....
    you can still get deere parts for 50 year old tractors....

Not sure if akkurate. Hustlers are all welded steel. Pretty sure the BD mowers have cheaper/lighter steel in them. Could be wrong, but I don't think so.

Drive around and see what commercial guys are using...hustler, walker, scag and ferris are all top notch. JD and Kubota need to stick with tractors.

wrt deere....if it has a yellow deck and a briggs motor......run...

also....if you plan to keep it a while.....deere will have parts available for many years...
    in 10-15 years.......will the off brands even be in business?.....
    you can still get deere parts for 50 year old tractors....
    Commercial ztr parts are available no matter the manufacturer...in fact, there's literally only a few people that manufacture the parts.

Originally Posted by Slytherin View Post
    Not sure if akkurate. Hustlers are all welded steel. Pretty sure the BD mowers have cheaper/lighter steel in them. Could be wrong, but I don't think so.
    Same company. My Big Dog is all welded steel. Looks like a Hustler but it's red. Of course with most any brand, they make low-end to high-end products, so could be that some could have stamped decks. I haven't seen any though.

Originally Posted by sOUltrain65 View Post
    Same company. My Big Dog is all welded steel. Looks like a Hustler but it's red. Of course with most any brand, they make low-end to high-end products, so could be that some could have stamped decks. I haven't seen any though.
    My guess is there's some difference in "quality"...the steel may be a gauge or two thinner, etc

Originally Posted by Section31 View Post
    Commercial ztr parts are available no matter the manufacturer...in fact, there's literally only a few people that manufacture the parts.
    sure they're available.....if the company is still in business....
    can you still get parts for dixon mowers?

My guess is there's some difference in "quality"...the steel may be a gauge or two thinner, etc
    It is. I've looked at the BD mowers at Tractor Supply, etc. and they're nowhere near as stout as the Hustlers. Pretty much same money, only no bulldog to make you feel tough. (JK BD owners).

sure they're available.....if the company is still in business....
    can you still get parts for dixon mowers?
    http://www.dixonztrparts.com/?utm_so...0aAkJ8EALw_wcB

BTW, looks like Dixon was supplied by the same manufacturer supplying Husqvarna.

BTW, looks like Dixon was supplied by the same manufacturer supplying Husqvarna.

husqvarna bough dixon....then killed it off.....

husqvarna bough dixon....then killed it off.....
    So there are parts just like I said

So there are parts just like I said
    probly not for long...
    and if husqvarna goes under......forget about it...

you learn the hard way in the farming business.....if you buy stuff without green paint...
    The following users like this post: Perfect Beast

Pretty sure your wrong but I wouldn't swear to it, I do know they both come out of the same plant.

probly not for long...
    and if husqvarna goes under......forget about it...

you learn the hard way in the farming business.....if you buy stuff without green paint...
    Meh...like I said, there's a few people that manufacture parts for all these ZTRs....the parts are interchangeable across many makes and models.

Meh...like I said, there's a few people that manufacture parts for all these ZTRs....the parts are interchangeable across many makes and models.
    I hate that you post quoted the PCCNN87, and it pains me even more to agree with him, but he's right as rain on this one. Farming without green equipment is a losing proposition. In all ways. Parts, service, and most importantly resale value. I have a JD tractor that I gave about $70K for about 10 years ago. It's worth over $80K right now. I see 4440 JDs with 10s of thousands of hours selling for more than their original purchase price almost 40 years ago.

I have a Kubota tractor I gave about $23K for about 15 years ago. It's worth maybe $8K and it's in perfect condition.

The JD ZTR mowers you buy from a dealership (the HD models) are very highly rated mowers. I run the Hustlers because a) they've been good to me, and b) I have a small engine shop that services them well.

I hate that you post quoted the PCCNN87, and it pains me even more to agree with him, but he's right as rain on this one. Farming without green equipment is a losing proposition. In all ways. Parts, service, and most importantly resale value. I have a JD tractor that I gave about $70K for about 10 years ago. It's worth over $80K right now. I see 4440 JDs with 10s of thousands of hours selling for more than their original purchase price almost 40 years ago.

I have a Kubota tractor I gave about $23K for about 15 years ago. It's worth maybe $8K and it's in perfect condition.

The JD ZTR mowers you buy from a dealership (the HD models) are very highly rated mowers. I run the Hustlers because a) they've been good to me, and b) I have a small engine shop that services them well.
    ZTRs aren't farm equipment...that's the point. If JD ZTRs were highly rated, commercial mowers would be using them. I've maybe seen one or two on a commercial mower's trailer EVER. They aren't terrible... Obviously, but there are manufacturers that do lawns better IMO...not to mention cost.
    The following users like this post: Coach

Case IH- Real tractors for real farmers.
    The following users like this post: Section31

I'd be worried about someone coming by and taking it.
    But that's pretty slick! Cut a hole in the bottom of the fence for it to run through and have the yard mowed by the time I get home from work!

Originally Posted by 1stTimeCaller View Post
    Case IH- Real tractors for real farmers who want to drive 200 miles for parts and want to watch their investment depreciate to zero.
    fi

Pretty sure your wrong but I wouldn't swear to it, I do know they both come out of the same plant.
    My Big Dog is all steel plate (not a stamped deck). They may make a cheap version, but don't know why they would with all the cheap models available elsewhere.
    The following users like this post: SoonerPT

Has GPS tracking and a loud ass alarm if it is taken off the property. Only thing I'm worried about is pissed off lawn guys or teenagers just smashing it. Scares the shit out of the deer so I don't worry about them, lol.

Originally Posted by Dagnorbert View Post
    I'd be worried about someone coming by and taking it.
    But that's pretty slick! Cut a hole in the bottom of the fence for it to run through and have the yard mowed by the time I get home from work!

Has GPS tracking and a loud ass alarm if it is taken off the property. Only thing I'm worried about is pissed off lawn guys or teenagers just smashing it. Scares the shit out of the deer so I don't worry about them, lol.
    What would a deer do to it?