Year Prediction

Posted 9 day(s) ago by OUrage2129 Views 72 Replies
Page 2 of 2 1 2
    11-2. Lose to Ohio State and Okie State in regular season. Beat Okie State in Big 12 Title Game rematch. Go to Cotton Bowl and play Georgia.

Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    please read this instead: "then" vs "than".

thanks.
    Oklahoma got a 2 seed in the playoff winning my a touchdown in the semifinal vs Penn State and a game winning FG vs USC. Magic is coming for this team. Especially with the mindset Baker Mayfield has.

And got and gets.

11-3

W -- UTEP (30-17)
    L -- tOSU (21-38)
    W -- Tulane (48-20)
    W -- Baylor (28-21)
    W -- Iowa State (31-17)
    W -- Texas (37-24)
    W -- Kansas State (28-24)
    W -- Texas Tech (51-10)
    L -- Oklahoma State (25-38)
    W -- TCU (35-30)
    W -- Kansas (48-17)
    W -- West Virginia (48-37)
    W -- Oklahoma State (45-21)
    L -- Florida State (31-34)

Originally Posted by Lbarnum86 View Post
    I find it strange that everyone picks our opponents to get better and OU to stay the same, as if our team exists in a vacuum. Texas has beaten us exactly 2 times since 2009, both times when we were the better team. Once as a send off for their good not great coach, and the other as an act of desperation to save their team from being a laughing stock.

Key points in both, in 2013...we had severely mediocre QB and OC play, and in 2015 we had a subpar OL and a 1st year starter at QB.

2016 wouldn't have been as close as it was if it werent for a bogus INT non-call, our starting FS getting injured, our starting CB getting knocked out, and Mixon fumbling twice on his own accord. They arent' good. Their players aren't world beaters. 2018 will be a tough out, and UT this year will give us everything they have but its just as likely this looks like the 2012 game as it does last year.

tOSU is the only team on our schedule with noticeably better talent, and their offense managed a whole yard more per play than ours, they just happened to be able to bomb 30 yard TD passes over our 5'10 CBs who had never played CB on our team. Cool.

Call it what you want, LR is now the head coach, the old "OU always drops one" thing was Bobs mantra, we dont know how LR will do. What we do know, is that these are all the same players he coached last year so they'll progress regardless of who the HC is. We'll be a better team than we were last year, even if our RBs took a major step back.

I'm going into this year with a clean slate. New coach, new expectations.

My OU Football Updated Game by Game prediction
    Week 1: Oklahoma vs Utep: Oklahoma wins 59-3
    Week 2: Oklahoma vs Ohio State: Oklahoma wins 31-28
    Week 3: Oklahoma vs Tulane: Oklahoma wins 48-6
    Week 4: Oklahoma vs Baylor: Oklahoma wins 41-13
    Week 6: Oklahoma vs Iowa State: Oklahoma wins 52-17
    Week 7: Oklahoma vs Texas: Oklahoma wins 42-28
    Week 8: Oklahoma vs Kansas State: Oklahoma loses 38-35
    Week 9: Oklahoma vs Texas Tech: Oklahoma wins 70-34
    Week 10: Oklahoma vs Oklahoma State: Oklahoma wins: 42-34
    Week 11: Oklahoma vs TCU: Oklahoma wins 45-35
    Week 12: Oklahoma vs Kansas: Oklahoma wins 69-9
    Week 13: Oklahoma vs West Virginia: Oklahoma wins 49-17
    Big 12 Title Game: Oklahoma vs Oklahoma State: Oklahoma wins 49-34
    College Football Playoff: 2. Oklahoma vs 3. Penn State: Oklahoma wins 35-28
    College Football National Championship Game: Oklahoma vs USC: Oklahoma wins 45-42
    2 users like ShreyK21's post: laxtothemax12, OUVarsityXV

Another Championship, and OU beats tOSU and Texas

Originally Posted by ShreyK21 View Post
    College Football National Championship Game: Oklahoma vs USC: Oklahoma wins 45-42
    Ripping off somebodies list again?

My prediction if that happens: I shoot my wad

Originally Posted by OUVarsityXV View Post
    "Me. Gambini, that is a lucid, intelligent, well thought-out objection....overruled!"
    Ha! One of my all-time favorites!
    2 users like drnlaw's post: ab5sr, OUVarsityXV

OU 11-1 in regular season. Beats TCU b12CG. Goes to playoff...

Beats Auburn in Semi and beats FSU for #8
    2 users like HighwayBill's post: BozzyBoy, OUVarsityXV

I think OU will go back to the playoff. Think they lose to tOSU and run the table. Hard to tell what happens after that.
    The following users like this post: BozzyBoy

If that lists come true. I will personally guarantee you show up in the Teacher Misconduct thread. Start thinking of a candidate.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

With a new coach im worried about the teams ability to bounce back, without a experienced coach like Bob, If we lose the tOSU game I don't think we can run the table. Which makes that game all the more Important.

Originally Posted by Streak86 View Post
    With a new coach im worried about the teams ability to bounce back, without a experienced coach like Bob, If we lose the tOSU game I don't think we can run the table. Which makes that game all the more Important.
    Hopefully we can bounce back in the just in case scenario.

Poll results: everyone thinks we are losing to Texas.

What this means is by default everyone thinks Herman is a way better coach than Riley. Talent wise, this year's game shouldn't be a competition.

Originally Posted by OrangePeanut View Post

What this means is by default everyone thinks Herman is a way better coach than Riley. Talent wise, this year's game shouldn't be a competition.
    Shouldn't that have been the case for the past several years, especially since they've had no one worth anything at the most important position on the field? It's not completely about coaching to me, and I doubt it's that way with other posters either. It's part of it, but not THE reason.

Originally Posted by OKIRISHFAN View Post
    Shouldn't that have been the case for the past several years, especially since they've had no one worth anything at the most important position on the field? It's not completely about coaching to me, and I doubt it's that way with other posters either. It's part of it, but not THE reason.
    What is "THE reason" then?
    Motivation? See coaching
    Preparation? See coaching
    Readiness? See coaching
    Game plan? See coaching

If it's not talent or any of those reasons, I'm really curious what has so many people ready to just roll over and die vs Texas.

Texas beat OU on inspired performances for Macks departure and savings Strongs job. Last year OU broke the game open and the players got ****y and let them back in it.

What is "THE reason" then?
    Motivation? See coaching
    Preparation? See coaching
    Readiness? See coaching
    Game plan? See coaching

If it's not talent or any of those reasons, I'm really curious what has so many people ready to just roll over and die vs Texas.

Texas beat OU on inspired performances for Macks departure and savings Strongs job. Last year OU broke the game open and the players got ****y and let them back in it.
    That's my point: I don't think it's ONE reason.

I think it's that they APPEAR to have an upgrade in coaching (which is why I said it partially the reason) as he did some good things with less talent at Houston.

I think it's recent history in that as I stated the last several years they've competed and won some with less talent (at least in some positions).

I think that some of are the unknowns about OU, i.e. running backs and wide receivers.

Some people have stated that they think OU will lose one they're not supposed to lose and that's the one (so in that scenario it's none of the above but rather a matter of fate)

I'm not conclusively speaking for everyone. I'm just saying I've seen several reasons and I don't think that it's just because of the coach alone, although that's a pretty big deal.

I think the annual "lose one we aren't supposed" prediction has to go with Bob Stoops. That became his biggest knock over the back-end of his career. Riley has a clean slate. Do I think we will go undefeated and win the NC? No. I will say a three-peat should be what we expect from this squad.

9-3 regular season. Losses @ Ohio St., @ Okla.St., and @ Kansas St. We barely get past Texas Tech at home.

We miss the Big "12" championship game by losing a tiebreaker with K.State. We go on to lose a competitive bowl game to finish 10-4. There will be some bright spots along the way. Next year we regress to 8-4 under a new QB. Fans will question whether Lincoln Riley was the right pick. By 2019 the Riley era comes into its own and we are back in the playoff conversation.

EDIT: added 2018 prediction.

Herman is going to have some struggles this year and maybe even next. It is a totally different game to go from being the hunter to the hunted every week. Getting Houston psyched to play big guys because they don't respect you is a lot easier than convincing a locker room full of top talent that expects to win that they're some sort of underdog every week. Even the top brass in Austin don't like playing the underdog card. Probably makes them feel like they may not actually be any good.
    The following users like this post: BozzyBoy

Originally Posted by Lbarnum86 View Post
    I find it strange that everyone picks our opponents to get better and OU to stay the same, as if our team exists in a vacuum. Texas has beaten us exactly 2 times since 2009, both times when we were the better team. Once as a send off for their good not great coach, and the other as an act of desperation to save their team from being a laughing stock.

Key points in both, in 2013...we had severely mediocre QB and OC play, and in 2015 we had a subpar OL and a 1st year starter at QB.

2016 wouldn't have been as close as it was if it werent for a bogus INT non-call, our starting FS getting injured, our starting CB getting knocked out, and Mixon fumbling twice on his own accord. They arent' good. Their players aren't world beaters. 2018 will be a tough out, and UT this year will give us everything they have but its just as likely this looks like the 2012 game as it does last year.

tOSU is the only team on our schedule with noticeably better talent, and their offense managed a whole yard more per play than ours, they just happened to be able to bomb 30 yard TD passes over our 5'10 CBs who had never played CB on our team. Cool.

Call it what you want, LR is now the head coach, the old "OU always drops one" thing was Bobs mantra, we dont know how LR will do. What we do know, is that these are all the same players he coached last year so they'll progress regardless of who the HC is. We'll be a better team than we were last year, even if our RBs took a major step back.
    You are so right about the 2016 OU/TX game. That game should have been a 21-24 point OU win. Horrible call on the 1st interception and on the first Mixon fumble. Texas had no hope of stopping the OU offense other than bad calls by the officials(OU outgained them 700 to 450 in yardage, and most of UT's came late). Then late in the game, OU's defense tackled like Texas Tech. OU lost the turnover battle 4-2 and never felt as though they would lose.

Originally Posted by boomsoon7 View Post
    Herman is going to have some struggles this year and maybe even next. It is a totally different game to go from being the hunter to the hunted every week. Getting Houston psyched to play big guys because they don't respect you is a lot easier than convincing a locker room full of top talent that expects to win that they're some sort of underdog every week. Even the top brass in Austin don't like playing the underdog card. Probably makes them feel like they may not actually be any good.
    He wasn't some crazy motivator though. You don't need to be an elite coach to motivate a group of 5 team to play OU in your home town. What happened to them vs SMU?