For everybody that says Stars don't matter

Posted 15 day(s) ago 2808 Views 74 Replies
Page 1 of 2 1 2

For everybody that says Stars don't matter

That game just proved why you need top 10 classes to hang with teams like tOSU, Clemson, etc for 4 full Qs. All those freshman that are out there making plays against other top recruits. There wasn't a 3 star freshman on the field last night. If class of 2018 and 2019 turn out to be as good as the 2017 class OU will win an NC in the next 3 years.

Originally Posted by awr90 View Post
    That game just proved why you need top 10 classes to hang with teams like tOSU, Clemson, etc for 4 full Qs. All those freshman that are out there making plays against other top recruits. There wasn't a 3 star freshman on the field last night. If class of 2018 and 2019 turn out to be as good as the 2017 class OU will win an NC in the next 3 years.
    The best player on the field was a walk on at one point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He was, everyone misses at times, but talent matters and it showed last night.
    3 users like Mballard85's post: cbsooner, mbm422, Vodnik

We too deep! Oklahoma football will cash in on recruits with that show on the road.

"This will not be the highlight of our season"
    Lincoln Riley
    5 users like TahoeSooner's post: MyT Oklahoma, Ohio sooner, RDC212, SA OSO, SoonerRO

Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    The best player on the field was a walk on at one point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yea Baker is an outlier.
    4 users like awr90's post: BobStoopsGinger, Free electron, RDC212, Zack

Of course they do...without stars we wouldn't have matter. Well, a little hydrogen and helium but certainly, no football

We simply need good players and they come with various stars next to their names. It's not about star system. It's about a team's evaluation of talent. If top rated classes and a collection of 4 and 5 star players is necessary then OU didn't belong on the field with Ohio State.
    2 users like Tx Sooner's post: CrimsonOberon, StatGeek

People will point to exceptions, but that is what they are: Exceptions.
    4 users like manateepower's post: BobStoopsGinger, Hang Half a Hundred, RDC212, Vodnik

I'm pretty sure tOSU recruiting rank has been much higher than OUs the past three years...
    2 users like IKE93's post: ouwxgrad, StatGeek

I get your point. SS17 was showing out, but Motley should've had two picks and has was a 3 star. I do like Lincoln's approach "no matter your age/experience" if you're good you will play. Should be good for the croots!
    2 users like OUVarsityXV's post: CrimsonOberon, SA OSO

Tyreece Lott was actually a three-star, but I do see your point.
    2 users like CrimsonOberon's post: mizzOUstu702, StatGeek

We have all seen the numbers even though some continue to deny them......far greater success ratio with higher star rated players.
    The following users like this post: Vodnik

Originally Posted by IKE93 View Post
    I'm pretty sure tOSU recruiting rank has been much higher than OUs the past three years...
    far higher. Coaching, and heart matters
    2 users like jakel's post: IKE93, tennsooner

You don't have to have the best recruiting class to win. You just need a good enough class to win. Our latest recruiting classes have improved the overall talent on this team. That's his point.
    5 users like Jason's post: Homebrewed, Jive Turkey11, manateepower, p23570, Soonerfan65

Originally Posted by jakel View Post
    far higher. Coaching, and heart matters
    Agree that is very important. Additionally Barrett didnt have his (best game of the season) like he did against us last year. Our defense gets some credit for that as they played so much better!

Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    You don't have to have the best recruiting class to win. You just need a good enough class to win. Our latest recruiting classes have improved the overall talent on this team. That's his point.
    Same point I was making...BOOMER!
    The following users like this post: Jason

Yea Baker is an outlier.
    What about the walk on receiver who caught the TD
    3 users like IKE93's post: Homebrewed, jakel, StatGeek

I do agree with the overall sentiment but we had one top 10 class, 2016 was ranked 19th. To have an Ohio State/Bama/Clemson sustained level of dominance, you need to be top 5-10 year in and year out. We're able to compete right now because of someone like Baker whom you can't hope to replicate and hitting on some three stars

Murray was a three star a lot of people weren't happy about and Motley left some people scratching their heads.

Just as an interesting note, Murray's offer sheet was incredible for a guy whom the composite barely had as a top 500 player and 247 had outside of the top 1000
    2 users like TheBorenSupremacy's post: dirtstar, Homebrewed

Originally Posted by TheBorenSupremacy View Post
    I do agree with the overall sentiment but we had one top 10 class, 2016 was ranked 19th. To have an Ohio State/Bama/Clemson sustained level of dominance, you need to be top 5-10 year in and year out. We're able to compete right now because of someone like Baker whom you can't hope to replicate and hitting on some three stars

Murray was a three star a lot of people weren't happy about and Motley left some people scratching their heads.

Just as an interesting note, Murray's offer sheet was incredible for a guy whom the composite barely had as a top 500 player and 247 had outside of the top 1000
    which murray?
    2 users like p23570's post: SoonerNow, TheBorenSupremacy

Originally Posted by OUVarsityXV View Post
    I get your point. SS17 was showing out, but Motley should've had two picks and has was a 3 star. I do like Lincoln's approach "no matter your age/experience" if you're good you will play. Should be good for the croots!
    Yep, Parnell Motley was a three-star. So was Obo Okoronkwo. So was Matt Romar, Du'vonta Lampkin, Kenneth Murray, a couple of people on our offensive line, Emmanuel Beal, etc. Our wide receiver corp even has a few guys who walked on (Myles Tease and Lee Morris, who looked like a boss).

Our coaches definitely mixed in highly rated recruits to go with those guys. Still, on paper we should have gotten our heads caved in to Ohio State's four and five-star talent; instead, we're sitting here 2-0.

Did anyone else click this because they were confused about a Dallas Stars thread being here?
    2 users like Mosh For Jesus's post: cbsooner, RedRiverBaron

Last night at least OU had a huge talent advantage in coaching.
    Lincoln Riley’s game plan, schemes and play calling were a masterpiece for the ages.
    He did it with walk on players and a lot of freshmen players.
    The will to prepare at a winning level still matters no matter the star ranking.
    3 users like OU48A's post: CrimsonOberon, MyT Oklahoma, Soonerfan65

What about the walk on receiver who caught the TD
    Eric Wren is a walk-on also I think. Ben Powers isn't technically a walk-on but he wasn't recruited by anybody out of high school so he went to JC.
    The following users like this post: IKE93

Murray and Lott were a 3-star and so was Calcaterra until the last updates.

Of all the things you could've taken from last night, "recruiting stars matter" was definitely NOT one of them.

Star players matter. OU had Baker. He was the star.

Stars don't matter. Coaching does
    3 users like Makaveli's post: AllSooner, IKE93, StatGeek

My opinion is that over large numbers stars do matter. The correlation between highly ranked recruiting classes and winning football games is undeniable.

That being said, in any given individual case it's irrelevant. It's only the skill set and work ethic that a player possesses that matters.

Best said recruiting rankings are a large tool in the recruiting arsenal because it would be near impossible for a coach to a assemble a team of diamonds-in-the-rough to compete for championships. You want to have the type of system in place that is willing to dig a little deeper to find those kind of guys that were overlooked and undervalued for one reason or another......and they are out there.
    5 users like SoonerWithoutaName's post: freedombird, Homebrewed, manateepower, MyT Oklahoma, s221506

Breaking news! Recruiting matters....

You're still a lousy poster.
    The following users like this post: tennsooner

All those freshman that are out there making plays against other top recruits. There wasn't a 3 star freshman on the field last night.
    Soooo ... we can at least all agree that this statement proves the OP is full of it, right?
    2 users like ouwxgrad's post: Homebrewed, jakel

What were the star rankings of the 4 OU players that scored TD's.
    The following users like this post: Homebrewed

Lawton/Ft. Sill, OK, USA, North America, Western Hemisphere

I think we can agree that a team full of walk-ons, 2 & 3 stars won't be able to win conference and national championships, which is the OU standard, but if everyone is content with 6-9 wins with the rare 10-11 win season, then OU needs to bring back every assistant coach we've fired since 2012.

The OP is correct. You need those COACHABLE 4 & 5 stars that are ready for the NFL or damn near ready. As evidenced, those players make the difference when you're a blue blood program with national championship aspirations. In my opinion, the offense, thanks to Riley, Gundy and Bedenbaugh, can recruit against any program for prime offensive talent.... and get them. The defense isn't quite there yet, but it has vastly improved since 2012 and is almost back to the OU Venables era. I think everyone wants the Bama or Clemson Venables standard.

More work to do.

One of our TDs was by a walk on. Other TD pass was by a 3 star player. Our best defensive player(Parnell Motley) was a 3 star guy.
    The following users like this post: jakel

Originally Posted by JamesBond View Post
    What were the star rankings of the 4 OU players that scored TD's.
    Total of 10 stars.
    3 users like Widescreen's post: jakel, p23570, tennsooner

Originally Posted by ouwxgrad View Post
    Soooo ... we can at least all agree that this statement proves the OP is full of it, right?
    We can all agree your reading comprehension is sub par.

FRESHMAN 3 stars you dipshits. Obviously there were non freshman 3 stars on the field. Ffs

Yea Baker is an outlier.
    Lee Morris a walk on got a TD

Motley was a 3 star recruit

I believe our starting OL are all 3 stars

Motley a 3 star you want me to go on?
    2 users like SoonerLibertarian's post: freedombird, H82Lose

But we have a five star coach. They don't. Bwahahah
    The following users like this post: freedombird

FRESHMAN 3 stars you dipshits. Obviously there were non freshman 3 stars on the field. Ffs
    Other people already pointed out Tyreece Lott, you dingleberry. (Speaking of subpar reading comprehension ...) You said no 3-star freshmen on the field. Well, there's one. I'm pretty sure Tre Norwood got some PT as well, but regardless, there's one. And that's just among the freshmen; several 3-stars (or less) are making substantial contributions as underclassmen, some of them over guys that had more "stars" coming out of high school, guys like Motley, Lampkin, Chanse Sylvie, Ben Powers, Lee Morris ... So, now that I've completely spelled out how you're full of it, do you think you can comprehend how you're full of it?
    3 users like ouwxgrad's post: freedombird, StatGeek, tennsooner

Recruiting sets your ceiling. Coaching and luck determine how close to it you get. OU's ceiling 2011-2016 was somewhere below a road win over #2. Why one of the most blue-chip-loaded teams lost at home is a question for Urban, not the recruiting services.

OU could have 20, 5 star players and the best recruiting class in the nation five years running and we wouldn't win a title with Landry Jones or Trevor knight. Nothing against them, but an overwhemining majority of 5 star QB's end up being garbage. We've won 12 in a row but having a walk on QB that plays better than any 5 star recruit in the nation. Player evaluation is what matters more than star ratings. Ask Texas or Texas A&M how the star system has worked for them the past decade.
    2 users like Tx Sooner's post: SA OSO, Yuck Fu

Originally Posted by SoonerWithoutaName View Post
    My opinion is that over large numbers stars do matter. The correlation between highly ranked recruiting classes and winning football games is undeniable.

That being said, in any given individual case it's irrelevant. It's only the skill set and work ethic that a player possesses that matters.

Best said recruiting rankings are a large tool in the recruiting arsenal because it would be near impossible for a coach to a assemble a team of diamonds-in-the-rough to compete for championships. You want to have the type of system in place that is willing to dig a little deeper to find those kind of guys that were overlooked and undervalued for one reason or another......and they are out there.
    That's exactly how I feel. On a case by case basis there are plenty of 5 star busts and 2 star studs. However, if you want to see a team full of 2 star players, look at all the East Popcorn States of the world. They get rolled every week, but every once in a while they produce a Jerry Rice or Larry Allen to prove that stars are meaningless. The flip side is over the last 5 years Bama, Ohio State, Clemson, and Florida State have cleaned up in recruiting, and those teams have been pretty solid.

Originally Posted by AppalachianSooner View Post
    Recruiting sets your ceiling. Coaching and luck determine how close to it you get. OU's ceiling 2011-2016 was somewhere below a road win over #2. Why one of the most blue-chip-loaded teams lost at home is a question for Urban, not the recruiting services.
    That's fair to say, on the whole. I do think there's a bit of recruiting service fluff in there (I frankly doubt that Barrett would have lived up to a top-150 recruiting ranking regardless of the coaching he got, for example), but not enough to account for what happened last night.

Originally Posted by SoonerLibertarian View Post
    Lee Morris a walk on got a TD

Motley was a 3 star recruit

I believe our starting OL are all 3 stars

Motley a 3 star you want me to go on?
    According to Rivals Samia, Ford and Evans were 4 stars. A walk on at center and 3 star Orlando Brown.

Originally Posted by CobraKai View Post
    That's exactly how I feel. On a case by case basis there are plenty of 5 star busts and 2 star studs. However, if you want to see a team full of 2 star players, look at all the East Popcorn States of the world. They get rolled every week, but every once in a while they produce a Jerry Rice or Larry Allen to prove that stars are meaningless. The flip side is over the last 5 years Bama, Ohio State, Clemson, and Florida State have cleaned up in recruiting, and those teams have been pretty solid.
    Everyone wants to make broad assertions about star ratings. Is a national collection of 5 star players better than a national collection of 3 star players? Of course. But drive it down to the team level and you'll find that star ratings are less important than player evaluation and finding the right players for the system you play. OU excels at this over most programs. I could name 5 - 10 programs that make big splashes in recruiting and according to star system they beat us, but those teams end the p being mediocre or suck. Alabama is the only team in the nation that really makes the 5 star thing work. Teams like Clemson, Tennessee, Florida, Texas A&M and so many others that kill it in recruiting prove that none of it matters unless you hit on the right QB. No team hits on QB like OU. That's why we're always in the mix.

And Orlando Brown has proven to be a 5 star.
    The following users like this post: ouwxgrad

Originally Posted by zcaa0g View Post
    And Orlando Brown has proven to be a 5 star.
    Yeah, but he's not a freshman, so the OP has decided that he gets to ignore it. Shhhhh ...

Originally Posted by Tx Sooner View Post
    Teams like Clemson, Tennessee, Florida, Texas A&M and so many others that kill it in recruiting prove that none of it matters unless you hit on the right QB. No team hits on QB like OU. That's why we're always in the mix.
    Even when they fall right into our laps without actively recruiting them! Can you imagine TK leading us to the playoffs 2 years ago or going undefeated in conference play last year?

Originally Posted by CobraKai View Post
    According to Rivals Samia, Ford and Evans were 4 stars. A walk on at center and 3 star Orlando Brown.
    Evans was the only consensus 4 star. Rest were 3 stars on other rankings.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Analysis of top rated classes is always presented after the fact and not before. Give it a shot. Let me know which teams that recruit to a better star rating than OU in 2018 will end up being better than OU? Call your shot before results instead of picking out one team that really succeeded with top rated recruits and ignoring the majority that failed with top recruiting classes.

Development is everything. The Oline is full of 3 stars and guys everyone passed over, but bedenbaugh knows who he wants and how to coach them up and so far none of his guys are really washing out.

Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    Development is everything. The Oline is full of 3 stars and guys everyone passed over, but bedenbaugh knows who he wants and how to coach them up and so far none of his guys are really washing out.
    Anybody else recall all the attrition we had on the O-Line under Mangino? Seems like we could never get much depth because guys kept bailing. We don't seem to have that issue anymore.