Worst stadium I've been in

Posted 69 day(s) ago 15421 Views 229 Replies
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3

Worst stadium I've been in

Who builds a stadium for 109,000 and uses 4 foot wide walkways and doesn't put in bathrooms? Cool to see the place, but really happy I never have to go back there.
    4 users like BermudaSooner's post: ab5sr, jakel, soonerschooner, tony bologna

Bathroom situation was horrible!!!
    5 users like Dagnorbert's post: FackYouMS, lauderdaleOU, MadMex, soonerschooner, tony bologna

Completely disagree. I loved the stadium, the atmosphere and their fans. I thought it was an amazing trip.
    8 users like IndySooner's post: CrimsonOberon, DustShaker, EMAN, JW3K, MikeLucky, OU48A, SoonerByProxy, svsooner

And I actually thought fans weren't bad. Still one of the worst but not bad. Prolly cuz they didn't respect. Thought it was going to be ez... it was... for us. BOOMER
    4 users like Ohio sooner's post: allanace16, CrimsonOberon, Ruf Nek, StoopTroup

Being under the 2nd level was a nightmare. Could not see the stadium, very obstructed by the low ceiling. I could touch the ceiling above me. Felt like a freaking sardine.

The fans however were awesome. I ended up at an amazing tailgate, full of good hospitality and amazing food! Thanka Buckeye fans!

We were in 12A and the fans were great. We had a lot of space a few minutes into the 4th quarter. The only problem I had was the bathroom situation. Attendants were fun to banter with and they served beer.
    2 users like Prince G's post: OU48A, soonerschooner

Worse than the Cotton Bowl? Wow....

Stadium looked liked it was showing its age on tv with paint peeling. Looked like fun though.
    The following users like this post: RedRiverBaron

Fans were cool, although not nearly as loud as Tennessee. Kinda surprised to see so many of them leave with 11 minutes to go in the game.

The bathroom situation was horrendous.
    3 users like BermudaSooner's post: HOTROD21, lauderdaleOU, soonergrad

Looked like a dump on tv.
    2 users like Makaveli's post: ab5sr, StoopTroup

Originally Posted by IndySooner View Post
    Completely disagree. I loved the stadium, the atmosphere and their fans. I thought it was an amazing trip.
    If OU moved to a western division of the B1G we would be playing these guys home and home every few years….. Then we would play other nice traditional programs on a home and home schedule nearly every year.

On their trip to TOSU Texas fans feared for their lives…. It’s good to see that the fan bases of 2 tradition rich programs like OU and TOSU can get along so well.
    6 users like OU48A's post: DevOUtee, IndySooner, johnintx, lauderdaleOU, Ruf Nek, Sooner1998

Originally Posted by OU48A View Post
    If OU moved to a western division of the B1G we would be playing these guys home and home every few years….. Then we would play other nice traditional programs on a home and home schedule nearly every year.

On their trip to TOSU Texas fans feared for their lives…. It’s good to see that the fan bases of 2 tradition rich programs like OU and TOSU can get along so well.
    Texas fans tried to scare VaTech and Cal fans with their horror stories, and both fanbases reported good times and good treatment. Perhaps the problem lay with Texas fan more than tOSU fan. Among the shagholes, it's become their Woodstock. Everyone was there; everyone has some story to top the others; and all the stories get bigger with each passing year. The truth is probably a fraction of what Texas fans make it out to be.

As for the stadium, it was built in 1922. Even with the major renovation a while back, there's a limit to what they could do in terms of modern amenities. Just take it for what it is. You compromise a bit of creature comfort for the history of the place.
    Last edited by Vic Ferrari; September 10th, 2017 at 01:07 PM.

OU in the Big "Ten" West would be a dream for me. First, I like the regular-season match-ups better than in the current Big "12" (Nebraska every year, like it ought to be!). Second, and selfishly, I'd have a lot more opportunities to see my Sooners than I do now. I live in SE MN, so it's not too much of a stretch for me to get to Minneapolis, Madison, or Iowa City for a 2:30 kickoff and make it back home that night!
    6 users like son of soundtrack's post: lauderdaleOU, MinnesotaSooner, OU48A, oucub23, RockE, Ruf Nek

Originally Posted by BermudaSooner View Post
    Who builds a stadium for 109,000 and uses 4 foot wide walkways and doesn't put in bathrooms? Cool to see the place, but really happy I never have to go back there.

Nope, that would be Tennessee

Originally Posted by son of soundtrack View Post
    OU in the Big "Ten" West would be a dream for me. First, I like the regular-season match-ups better than in the current Big "12" (Nebraska every year, like it ought to be!). Second, and selfishly, I'd have a lot more opportunities to see my Sooners than I do now. I live in SE MN, so it's not too much of a stretch for me to get to Minneapolis, Madison, or Iowa City for a 2:30 kickoff and make it back home that night!
    Herbie Husker is irrelevant now! I don't know that playing them again helps us much. I think that ship has sailed. Herbie is hoping for top 25 finishes and we're hoping for national championships. Ohio State, Michigan and Ped State would benefit us much more if we ever end up in B1G.

They're pouring $42 million into it over the next four years.

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/2016/03..._42_milli.html

Well done, Sooners!
    2 users like Sea Blue's post: Ohio sooner, StroudSooner

Originally Posted by Sea Blue View Post

Well done, Sooners!
    $42M won't begin to fix all the problems with that place. It's core is simply old and not designed for the modern era. Great crowd and atmosphere but the place is a dump. A really, really big dump but still.
    The following users like this post: OklahomaDave

Originally Posted by Vic Ferrari View Post
    Texas fans tried to scare VaTech and Cal fans with their horror stories, and both fanbases reported good times and good treatment. Perhaps the problem lay with Texas fan more than tOSU fan. Among the shagholes, it's become their Woodstock. Everyone was there; everyone has some story to top the others; and all the stories get bigger with each passing year. The truth is probably a fraction of what Texas fans make it out to be.

As for the stadium, it was built in 1922. Even with the major renovation a while back, there's a limit to what they could do in terms of modern amenities. Just take it for what it is. You compromise a bit of creature comfort for the history of the place.
    **** Texas.

Originally Posted by Sea Blue View Post

Well done, Sooners!
    Just by observation on TV, I can't fathom how $42m would begin to tackle the kinds of renovations a place of that age would likely require. I know that sounds goofy, but $42m just isn't that much in terms of big construction these days.
    2 users like OklahomaDave's post: andymancan20, ChocoLab

OMS >> The Horseshoe

Absolutely the most overrated stadium I've ever been to. Low quality, bad concession and bad em worse bathrooms. (Sold beer though)

OMS is significantly better. We are luckier than we realize.
    6 users like OUMallen's post: BajaOklahoma, CrimsonOberon, hawkdriver, oucub23, tony bologna, xunil

They sell beer in the stadium. Definitely not the worst stadium I've ever been in

Originally Posted by RockFlagandEagle View Post
    **** Texas.
    In the pantheon of things that cannot be said enough, this phrase is no lower than No. 1.

I thought it was great. That's what sets apart stadiums like the shoe and ND and the rose bowl from stadiums like Texas A&M and Oregon. Sure all the new gimmicks and technology is cool but you get a bland atmosphere and not a traditional experience with these newer stadiums. A&M fans **** all the time about how they lost the 12th man feel with the renovations. TOSU was a great atmosphere just like TN was.

It isn't the worst I've been in, but there was nothing special about it. Neyland was 7x better. Ours is fway nicer too.
    The following users like this post: soonergrad

Originally Posted by awr90 View Post
    I thought it was great. That's what sets apart stadiums like the shoe and ND and the rose bowl from stadiums like Texas A&M and Oregon. Sure all the new gimmicks and technology is cool but you get a bland atmosphere and not a traditional experience with these newer stadiums. A&M fans **** all the time about how they lost the 12th man feel with the renovations. TOSU was a great atmosphere just like TN was.
    Was I at a different game??? Their atmosphere was not special. Just a lot of people. They got loud in the third quarter like three times. Best part of their home field was their band. They were badass.

Originally Posted by OUMallen View Post
    Was I at a different game??? Their atmosphere was not special. Just a lot of people. They got loud in the third quarter like three times. Best part of their home field was their band. They were badass.
    I wasn't really talking about noise level because they were getting handled most of the game. I just meant the overall atmosphere and tailgating etc was traditional feeling like neyland and others. I can tell you from experience the shoe gets insanely loud when they are winning.
    The following users like this post: soonerschooner

I so wish you guys were in the B1G West. We would finally have a perennial contender from that division. Eventually, hopefully.. again - great win and thanks for visiting.

The people I talked to said the Texas fans reminded them of Michigan fans. And that's not a compliment.

My experience was if you weren't a dick, you would be fine. Walking by the college condos was interesting, but all in fun.

Even after the game they were fine.
    5 users like IndySooner's post: lauderdaleOU, MyT Oklahoma, soonerschooner, Val on the Getner, Yuck Fu

I wasn't really talking about noise level because they were getting handled most of the game. I just meant the overall atmosphere and tailgating etc was traditional feeling like neyland and others. I can tell you from experience the shoe gets insanely loud when they are winning.
    If they only get loud when they're winning, it's not a social atmosphere.

The guts of the stadium very much remind me of ours. We have made more recent renovations, but ours was a dump until the mid 2000s.
    4 users like IndySooner's post: MikeLucky, schoonerdriver, soonerschooner, thunderclapnewman53

if they would have doubled or even tripled the restrooms there still would have been a long line.
    they need probably over 100 port a potty's on both sides of the stadium to make the wait under 10 minutes.

OSU love jerseys, never seen so many men wearing jerseys in my life.
    5 users like thefranchise17's post: MikeLucky, OUMallen, RedStripe, soonergrad, ultimatesooner

Originally Posted by OUMallen View Post
    If they only get loud when they're winning, it's not a social atmosphere.
    Sounds like OU fans during many games
    3 users like Crazyivan's post: ab5sr, Chk, soonergrad

OMS rules make it shit
    The following users like this post: TimPOBSooner

Originally Posted by IndySooner View Post
    The people I talked to said the Texas fans reminded them of Michigan fans. And that's not a compliment.

My experience was if you weren't a dick, you would be fine. Walking by the college condos was interesting, but all in fun.

Even after the game they were fine.
    Texas fans and alums have an obsession with being recognized as an academic peer of Michigan (they're not), so it wouldn't surprise me if they acted like a bunch of smug, "we're better than you", ****s to tosu people and were told to go **** themselves then ran back to Austin crying, "WORST TREATMENT EVAH!"
    5 users like Vic Ferrari's post: Chk, HCF01, OU48A, soonerschooner, Yuck Fu

I didn't think Ohio Stadium was all that bad, but it wasn't as nice as I really expected.

I *do* think OU fans don't know what they have in Owen Field.
    2 users like allanace16's post: Jeremy J, soonerschooner

Originally Posted by Vic Ferrari View Post
    Texas fans and alums have an obsession with being recognized as an academic peer of Michigan (they're not), so it wouldn't surprise me if they acted like a bunch of smug, "we're better than you", ****s to tosu people and were told to go **** themselves then ran back to Austin crying, "WORST TREATMENT EVAH!"
    I've posted this before but I think it is worth mentioning again here.

In the 2005 game (tOSU vs Texas) they panned the crowd a Texas score and somebody had a sheet on which they displayed "Austin is better than Columbus". I thought to myself. What other fan base would even be thinking about something like that in a colossal game like that?

Yep, Texas fans go up there and turn this into the typical Texas dick measuring contest as opposed to just enjoying a great CFB atmosphere and a community that has a lot to offer a true CFB fan.

Originally Posted by Yuck Fu View Post
    I've posted this before but I think it is worth mentioning again here.

In the 2005 game (tOSU vs Texas) they panned the crowd a Texas score and somebody had a sheet on which they displayed "Austin is better than Columbus". I thought to myself. What other fan base would even be thinking about something like that in a colossal game like that?

Yep, Texas fans go up there and turn this into the typical Texas dick measuring contest as opposed to just enjoying a great CFB atmosphere and a community that has a lot to offer a true CFB fan.
    Orange bowl, nothing close

I like that we have ramps instead of stairs. That was quite a hike up after hours of tailgating on my feet.

The concourse was very crowded with long lines for everything. There's not much that can be done at this point to add facilities from what I can tell.

The video board seemed small. I find it easier to track stats and other scores at Owen Field.

The lighting is also weird. We were sitting in the dark watching a lit field. Very weird.

Originally Posted by mexican/ninja View Post
    Worse than the Cotton Bowl? Wow....
    Right? I don't think that's possible unless there are giant poles blocking your view, no bathrooms, and tiny exits. But yeah, y'all go on ahead with that.

Originally Posted by Chk View Post
    Right? I don't think that's possible unless there are giant poles blocking your view, no bathrooms, and tiny exits. But yeah, y'all go on ahead with that.
    I'm 5"11. I have to sit at an angle to be comfortable. I feel sorry for anyone taller than me. Ridonkulous
    The following users like this post: Chk

Originally Posted by Crazyivan View Post
    Sounds like OU fans during many games
    Not true! I sit around plenty of fans who are very loud throughout the game. It takes a whole lot of effort to disagree with every single play called, but they can do it!
    4 users like Chk's post: drnlaw, soonerrhea, soonerschooner, ThreeHatBilly

Originally Posted by mexican/ninja View Post
    I'm 5"11. I have to sit at an angle to be comfortable. I feel sorry for anyone taller than me. Ridonkulous
    The flow into and out of the stadium is stupid. Does it really seem like a great idea to smash a whole bunch of drunk fans who hate each other right into each other???
    The following users like this post: soonerschooner

You guys can talk smack about our team all you want.. ill pile on with you. But our stadium is the bomb. Its historic. You can have all that modern amenity crap... give me an old school football cathedral any day.
    Agree it needs more toilets.

And yes, our band is much better than our team. Maybe they should suit them up.

I enjoyed my trip. Here are some thoughts from my experience in the upper level OU section:

I like that we have ramps instead of stairs. That was quite a hike up after hours of tailgating on my feet.

The concourse was very crowded with long lines for everything. There's not much that can be done at this point to add facilities from what I can tell.

The video board seemed small. I find it easier to track stats and other scores at Owen Field.

The lighting is also weird. We were sitting in the dark watching a lit field. Very weird.
    The following users like this post: SixBean

Great tailgates outside the stadium.

I destroyed one of the port o potties.
    3 users like JBret's post: oucub23, RockE, TimPOBSooner

Can't be worse than the cotton bowl

Originally Posted by noquarter View Post
    You guys can talk smack about our team all you want.. ill pile on with you. But our stadium is the bomb. Its historic. You can have all that modern amenity crap... give me an old school football cathedral any day.
    Agree it needs more toilets.

And yes, our band is much better than our team. Maybe they should suit them up.
    Dude. It ain't that special.
    3 users like OUMallen's post: Ohio sooner, StoopTroup, thefranchise17