Could Riley be Lured away from OU?

Posted 72 day(s) ago 7671 Views 152 Replies
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3

So assuming LR has a big year in 2017, he's obviously going to get a lot of attention being as young as he is. The SEC is going to have some coaching vacancies this year and teams like Bama, FL, ND etc will within the next couple of years. If a school like A&M or ND or even NFL teams offered LR 6+ mil does he stay or go? I'd like to think he would stay but most coaches don't have the commitment to their school Bob did.
    The following users like this post: ResidentEvil

Originally Posted by awr90 View Post
    So assuming LR has a big year in 2017, he's obviously going to get a lot of attention being as young as he is. The SEC is going to have some coaching vacancies this year and teams like Bama, FL, ND etc will within the next couple of years. If a school like A&M or ND or even NFL teams offered LR 6+ mil does he stay or go? I'd like to think he would stay but most coaches don't have the commitment to their school Bob did.
    This is a question that needs to be directed at OU48. He will have your answer.
    5 users like Yuck Fu's post: Keef, p23570, pphilfran, SoCaliSooner, tycat947

Could he? Yes. Will he? I guess we'll see, but I get the feeling Lincoln has a LOT of Bob in him at this point. He also talks to Leach who knows what he has at OU.
    3 users like IndySooner's post: BajaOklahoma, BoomerSooner2578, hawkdriver

Originally Posted by Yuck Fu View Post
    This is a question that needs to be directed at OU48. He will have your answer.

Why do I get this question LOL
    The following users like this post: Bear_Jew

I think he'll stay, and that's just one of the reasons Joe Castiglione was so high on hiring him immediately. I'd be re-writing that contract of Lincoln's right now if I were Boren and Castiglione, though. I do think that if we're going to worry, OUr main concern should be the NFL, not other NCAAF teams.
    8 users like BoomerSooner2578's post: BajaOklahoma, boomer8390, BozzyBoy, ChpThril, CrimsonOberon, freedombird, hawkdriver, StatGeek

If he does, the cupboard must not be as well stocked as we were led to believe.
    The following users like this post: thatsoonerfan89

Jesus ****ing wept....
    3 users like Breadburner's post: Hammer2Bones, RDC212, sooner28

Really? The guy's had the job for 3 months. You don't think he realizes what he has here and how fortunate he is? At Oklahoma he's also closer to his family in west Texas. Of all the things I'm concerned with as it relates to OU, the very bottom of the list is whether Lincoln Riley will leave after this season.

Yes because OU has never been known as anything more than a stepping stone job to get you where you really want to go.

Originally Posted by BoomerSooner2578 View Post
    I think he'll stay, and that's one of the reasons Joe Castiglione was so high on hiring him immediately. I'd be re-writing that contract of Lincoln's right now if I were Boren and Castiglione, though. I do think that if we're going to worry, OUr main concern should be the NFL, not other NCAAF teams.
    Not sure he would translate into a good NFL coach. Not sure he would want to. If you are successful at OU, the world is your oyster. There are jobs comparable to OU but not a clear cut BETTER job in the country. If it's a money issue, we can take care of that. If it's a facilities issue, we have some of the best. If it's a commitment by "management" to the program, I think we have demonstrated that. Why else would he leave??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    5 users like acheman8's post: BoomerSooner2578, BoomSoon2016, ChpThril, freedombird, Sooner2

Originally Posted by SportyJames View Post
    If he losses 1 game in his career I don't want him here anyway.
    Has anyone purchased firelincolnriley.com yet???

2 users like acheman8's post: pphilfran, SportyJames

Originally Posted by Crazyivan View Post
    If he does, the cupboard must not be as well stocked as we were led to believe.
    Your attempt at logic is pathetic.

Stick to inflammatory rhetoric - exclusively.

Originally Posted by tennsooner View Post
    Yes because OU has never been known as anything more than a stepping stone job to get you where you really want to go.
    well chuck fairbanks did use us to get to the nfl way back when...
    2 users like 87sooner's post: SoonerNow, Stinger_1066

Originally Posted by OU48A View Post
    Why do I get this question LOL
    Cuz you have answered similar questions to this one with what I consider the most accurate answer. Plus your living experience (locales) gives you an excellent perspective on the question.
    The following users like this post: OU48A

now I remember why OP is on ignore.
    10 users like Hallucinogenic_Toreador's post: BOOMER10, Breadburner, greensooner, OU48A, ouwxgrad, RDC212, Soonerfan65, StatGeek, Strangers, ThreeHatBilly

Not a chance. He'll consistently be paid in top 5 coaches in the nation at OU. With some success he could almost have this job for life. He is from Texas and has a great understanding of recruiting grounds and relationships with high school coaches. But, yeah. Here we go again. For some ridiculous reason people thought Stoops could be lured year after year.
    The following users like this post: tycat947

Originally Posted by acheman8 View Post
    Not sure he would translate into a good NFL coach. Not sure he would want to. If you are successful at OU, the world is your oyster. There are jobs comparable to OU but not a clear cut BETTER job in the country. If it's a money issue, we can take care of that. If it's a facilities issue, we have some of the best. If it's a commitment by "management" to the program, I think we have demonstrated that. Why else would he leave??

I agree. I'd also like to echo what Indy had to say about him having a LOT of Bob in him, and that's why Bob was so confident that Lincoln would be his replacement. I think he's a college coach, and why ever leave OU unless you're Catholic and want to be the HC at ND? There are a max of six teams that have OU's pedigree. This is a great program to call home.
    2 users like BoomerSooner2578's post: OU48A, SoonernVolved

Originally Posted by acheman8 View Post
    Has anyone purchased firelincolnriley.com yet???

Yes.

On June 7th, 2017

https://whois.icann.org/en/lookup?na...ncolnriley.com
    2 users like Tobias's post: OrangePeanut, SportyJames

Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    Prolly Meni.

I'm going to buy promotelincolnriley.com based on this thread.
    2 users like RockFlagandEagle's post: hawkdriver, MikeLucky

Oh dear god. I was kidding...

The following users like this post: BoomerSooner2578

In OU's history, how many HCs have left for another college HC job?

Originally Posted by Rufus T Firefly View Post
    In OU's history, how many HCs have left for another college HC job?
    1 to my knowledge; Jim Tatum to Maryland. His successor turned out to be pretty decent.
    5 users like Tobias's post: allanace16, BoomSoon2016, jakel, OrionJc, SoonerNow

Originally Posted by Hallucinogenic_Toreador View Post
    Who tf are you?
    The following users like this post: OrangePeanut

Originally Posted by Yuck Fu View Post
    Cuz you have answered similar questions to this one with what I consider the most accurate answer. Plus your living experience (locales) gives you an excellent perspective on the question.
    My take is this..... Lincoln and his wife are small town type of people (with a degree of sophistication) as are a very sizable percentage of the OU fan base. The Riley's can relate to us well.

I grew up in a small town too. Norman has every amenity located nearby that’s needed for this mind set..

Mrs. Riley has indicated that she was extremely happy to have grown up in a small town. She would likely want her kids growing up “in a place like this”. She once indicated she was very happy to relocate back to this part of the nation…. As long as things are going well and with their young children I could see the Riley's wanting to stay in Norman for a very, very long time. I can’t see Lincoln wanting anyother college job…..

20 years from now when he may be ready for a new challenge and when Jerry Jones is gone and if the Dallas Cowboys coming calling then he might be interested in a job like that.
    JMHO.

PS: I don’t like it when threads like this are started …. Let’s enjoy the journey and help Riley and the program along the way when and where we can.

1 to my knowledge; Jim Tatum to Maryland. His successor turned out to be pretty decent.
    At that point in time, Maryland was probably a better job.

cannot read quoted remark, on ignore. I'll just look at the pictures.

If he wins a bunch of national titles over the next 15 years or so, maybe he decides to take a swing at the NFL. That's about the only way I see him being "lured away."

Originally Posted by OU48A View Post
    My take is this..... Lincoln and his wife are small town type of people (with a degree of sophistication) as are a very sizable percentage of the OU fan base. He can relate to us well.

I grew up in a small town too. Norman has every amenity located nearby that’s needed for this mind set..

Mrs. Riley has indicated that she was extremely happy to have grown up in a small town. She would likely want her kids growing up “in a place like this”. She once indicated she was very happy to relocate back to this part of the nation…. As long as things are going well and with their young children I could see the Riley wanting to stay in Norman for a very, very long time. I can’t see Lincoln wanting any other college job…..

20 years from now when he may be ready for a new challenge and when Jerry Jones is gone and if the Dallas Cowboys coming calling then he might be interested in a job like that.
    JMHO.

PS: I don’t like it when threads like this are started …. Let’s enjoy the journey and help Riley and the program along the way when and where we can.

I admire you folks that responded to this dumb ****ing ass thread. I feel dirty that I am responding to this now, but this actually was some good info.

OP are you 17-18 years old? tell the truth. Why do you negative ****ers ALWAYS looking at the glass half....**** that, there is no glass, no water, we are dying mentality. Speaking of **** suckers, where has eight been hiding? We are playing too good to come on here?
    4 users like H82Lose's post: OU48A, RockE, SitOnMyBoomer, sooneralum2001

Riley to Atlanta!

Well yeah, I know, for the NC game.
    3 users like urquhart's post: acheman8, RockFlagandEagle, thunderclapnewman53

Originally Posted by H82Lose View Post
    I admire you folks that responded to this dumb ****ing ass thread. I feel dirty that I am responding to this now, but this actually was some good info.

OP are you 17-18 years old? tell the truth. Why do you negative ****ers ALWAYS looking at the glass half....**** that, there is no glass, no water, we are dying mentality. Speaking of **** suckers, where has eight been hiding? We are playing too good to come on here?
    This wasn't a negative thread you ****ing retard. It's a valid scenario to consider when you have one of the hottest young coaches in the nation who has the possibility of having a monster first year. LR is THE type of guy NFL teams look for it's a reasonable concern so stfu.

Why do folks think an NFL job is better than the top tier college jobs? Money is the same and less job security in the NFL IMHO. Built in parity in the NFL guarantees down years and firings. OU could be a perennial top 20 team for the next 25 years.

Lincoln Riley is 34 and the head coach of the 1st or 2nd most successful program since WWII and Bob Stoops handed him a situation by leaving on top that sets up Riley for a tremendous start and run. Where are the better jobs?
    2 users like Tx Sooner's post: acheman8, RockE

Originally Posted by Hallucinogenic_Toreador View Post
    He has been on my ignore list for a very long time.
    After a win like this.... its when you find out who really isn’t an OU fan or else are so stupid they are to be ignored.
    2 users like OU48A's post: sooneralum2001, SoonerNow

Amazing how people fear dialogue today. It's a fan's message board. R-E-L-A-X.
    The following users like this post: SCV Sooner

this "kid" was handed the keys to the freaking castle, by a mentor (Bob) he truly likes and respects. He was humbled that this incredible HC'g opportunity fell his way. I would assume that he will be eternally grateful to Bob, Joe, Boren for what is a nearly unprecedented baton exchange. He KNOWS he didn't have to go "pay his dues" at some shitty, no hope program as a HC. He didn't have to move his family 2 or 3 times (like most HC's of elite programs have had to do) to get this gig. How could someone in his shoes even CONSIDER leaving a program and people that handed this to you on a silver platter? I mean, yeah...I guess anything is possible.....but unless Mike Stoops starts bird-dogging Lincoln's wife.....I see no reasonable or even slightly likely scenario that pulls him out of Norman. I'll start to worry about this in like....MAYBE....15 years.
    4 users like gratefulRed's post: BoomerSooner2578, Doctor X, OU48A, SoonerNow

Assuming he doesn't crumble and start blowing games he shouldn't, OU would match any offer out there. Proved that with Stoops. Why else do you think he got a new raise and 5-year extension every other year?

Thought this thread was a joke at first. Than I read it...

Originally Posted by gratefulRed View Post
    I guess anything is possible.....but unless Mike Stoops starts bird-dogging Lincoln's wife.....I see no reasonable or even slightly likely scenario that pulls him out of Norman.
    A credible scenario...

This wasn't a negative thread you ****ing retard. It's a valid scenario to consider when you have one of the hottest young coaches in the nation who has the possibility of having a monster first year. LR is THE type of guy NFL teams look for it's a reasonable concern so stfu.
    lol

the LAST reason we would lose him.....would be the $$$$. This kid is sitting on an absolute gold mine. This win just elevated him to levels of pay that only the top top coaches can demand. Throw in the fact that he'll (very near future) be cashing these checks at the age of 34 means that he'll be potentially able to amass more wealth than ANY HC, past OR present .
    2 users like gratefulRed's post: OU48A, SoonerNow

who fears dialogue? I apparently had a good reason to put this guy on ignore because aside from Recruiter I've never done this on a bbs. ever.

he must be magnificent.

Originally Posted by Soonermarty View Post
    Already?
    it's been 2 games already. i was surprised this guy waited so long. but no, Riley has buckets full of integrity and he sees OU as Bob does. he's at a special place with great people around him.
    2 users like RockE's post: gratefulRed, mrSooner