OU moves up in US News college rankings

Posted 7 day(s) ago 1280 Views 42 Replies

OU moves up in US News college rankings

The 2018 rankings were just released by US News.

The first number is from 2018, the second from 2017.

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges...l-universities

56, 56 - Texas
    75, 71 – Baylor
    78, 82 - TCU
    97, 111 - Oklahoma
    115, 111 - Iowa State
    115, 118 – Kansas
    145, 135 - Kansas State
    156, 152 - Oklahoma State
    176, 176 - Texas Tech
    187, 183 - West Virginia

Interestingly, both Mizzou (#120) and Nebraska (#124) which long claimed the conference was not up to their lofty academic standards are now both ranked well below OU and 6 out of the 10 Big 12 schools.

Tulsa is still tops in Oklahoma at #87.
    6 users like MalibuSooner's post: BoomSoon2016, CrimsonOberon, odin's beard, OU48A, SoonernVolved, StoopTroup

LT: … I believe we're number 2, buddy
    8 users like XingTheRubicon's post: BoomSoon2016, hawkdriver, LandRusher, p23570, SA OSO, soonervegas, thatsoonerfan89, traxx

Originally Posted by MalibuSooner View Post

56, 56 - Texas
    75, 71 – Baylor
    78, 82 - TCU
    97, 111 - Oklahoma
    115, 111 - Iowa State
    115, 118 – Kansas
    145, 135 - Kansas State
    176, 176 - Texas Tech
    187, 183 - West Virginia

Interestingly, both Mizzou (#120) and Nebraska (#124) which long claimed the conference was not up to their lofty academic standards are now both ranked well below OU and 6 out of the 10 Big 12 schools.

Huge jump ......

All those National Merit Scholars are really paying off!
    The following users like this post: StoopTroup

Originally Posted by mgsooner View Post
    Unless someone can show me evidence those NMS scholars provide significant contributions BACK to the university once they've graduated.
    The following users like this post: Fostercluck

So everybody but OU, TCU and KU stays the same or gets worse.

Originally Posted by mgsooner View Post
    If only 3 or 4 eventually become worth billions and give back in a major way, then it pays off.
    They also raise OU’s academic profile which helps attract better professors and more research…
    But I do wish OU students were better with their football attendance

After looking at the list..... with enough money and the right leadership over time OU could eventually climb into the top 60.

The first goal should be to double the endowment… At OU and more than anywhere else..... a great football program is like planting the seeds.

Yea! We're a top 100 school.

OU Ranked Among Top 50 Public Universities in Nation
    By Public Affairs, (405) 325-1701

NORMAN — For the first time in history, the University of Oklahoma has been ranked among the top 100 colleges and universities in the nation, public or private, according to U.S. News & World Report. In its 2018 Best Colleges rankings, OU is ranked among the best national universities as No. 97 overall – up from No. 111 in 2017 – and as No. 44 among public institutions. OU’s petroleum engineering program has been ranked in the top 3 among specialties at engineering schools whose highest degree is a doctorate, and OU’s Michael F. Price College of Business has been ranked among the top 43 best business programs at a public institution.

“This recognition marks a truly historic moment for the university,” said OU President David L. Boren. “The hard work and dedication of all members of the OU family have made this achievement possible. It confirms the high quality of education and standard of excellence that have become synonymous with the University of Oklahoma.”

Earlier this year, OU was recognized as being among the top institutions in the nation for its online degree programs. U.S. News & World Report ranked OU No. 2 in the category of “Best Online Bachelor’s Programs for Veterans,” which includes programs for active duty soldiers. Additionally, OU was named No. 3 in the overall category of “Best Online Bachelor’s Programs” and tied for No. 5 in the category of “Best Online Graduate Criminal Justice Programs.”

The 2018 Best Colleges ranking is the latest in a recent series of major accolades for OU. The Princeton Review ranked OU first in the nation for student happiness among public universities. Bizzell Memorial Library was named among the top 18 most stunning university libraries in the world by Architectural Digest. Additionally, INSIGHT Into Diversity selected OU as a recipient of the Higher Education Excellence in Diversity Award for the second consecutive year.

For the 2018 Best Colleges rankings, U.S. News & World Report based its findings on several key measures of quality, such as graduation and retention rates, assessment of excellence, faculty resources, student selectivity, financial resources, graduation rate performance and alumni giving.

U.S. News & World Report’s complete list of the 2018 college rankings can be found at www.usnews.com/best-colleges.

my younger son is still not impressed.....
    but he'll probly still apply....as a fallback...

So did we have a big student retention improvement recently? Retention and selectivity are two of the categories that have always held OU back with the US News rankings.

56, 56 - Texas
    75, 71 – Baylor
    78, 82 - TCU
    97, 111 - Oklahoma
    115, 111 - Iowa State
    115, 118 – Kansas
    145, 135 - Kansas State
    176, 176 - Texas Tech
    187, 183 - West Virginia

Guess they didn't consider "chances of getting ****d" when scoring Baylor
    The following users like this post: BoomSoon2016

His Royal Highness the Honorable King of LandThieves Esq. III

Originally Posted by brokebacksooner View Post
    Guess they didn't consider "chances of getting ****d" when scoring Baylor
    They did, they were originally 69 but it seemed inappropriate.
    3 users like SoCaliSooner's post: BoomSoon2016, brokebacksooner, R3D Mamba

2 users like GoonerSooner's post: BoomSoon2016, XingTheRubicon

Originally Posted by SoCaliSooner View Post
    They did, they were originally 69 but it seemed inappropriate.
    69 is a consensual score.
    4 users like Nirvana Norman's post: Bear_Jew, BoomSoon2016, lauderdaleOU, odin's beard

Originally Posted by 87sooner View Post
    my younger son is still not impressed.....
    but he'll probly still apply....as a fallback...
    What's his top choice?

Originally Posted by nocalsooner View Post
    What's his top choice?
    depends on what he gets on his act/sat in the next few months....
    if he can get a 34/35 he'll probly try for stanford...
    he also wants to apply to harvard/yale/penn/columbia just for the heck of it.....see what happens...
    he got a 33 last spring....if he can't raise it he's thinking vanderbilt....maybe carnegie mellon......
    also depends on his major......right now he's thinking computer science...

Cal Berkley 21st

Rankings are clearly shit

he also wants to apply to harvard/yale/penn/columbia just for the heck of it.....see what happens...
    he got a 33 last spring....if he can't raise it he's thinking vanderbilt....maybe carnegie mellon......
    Best of luck to him ... hard go wrong with those choices

Originally Posted by Camel at Sea View Post
    So did we have a big student retention improvement recently? Retention and selectivity are two of the categories that have always held OU back with the US News rankings.
    A few years ago they built Wagner Hall just north of the stadium and it's the home of the University College and various programs for retaining students early in their college careers.

Also, the addition of a ton of dorms south of the stadium is mainly focused on upper classmen, as keeping students on campus is another big strategy towards retention and graduation.

Another big factor in all this is the endowment. Now at well over $1 billion, it is used to fund lots of scholarships and faculty positions. Really important since state funding is bad and getting worse.
    2 users like MalibuSooner's post: Camel at Sea, OU48A

Last edited by MalibuSooner; September 13th, 2017 at 05:31 AM.

A few years ago they built Wagner Hall just north of the stadium and it's the home of the University College and various programs for retaining students early in their college careers.

Also, the addition of a ton of dorms south of the stadium is mainly focused on upper classmen, as keeping students on campus is another big strategy towards retention and graduation.

Another big factor in all this is the endowment. Now at well over $1 billion, it is used to fund lots of scholarships and faculty positions. Really important since state funding is bad and getting worse.
    FYI: Saw this today. http://www.ou.edu/content/web/news_e...on-record.html

OU retention rate up to 92% - a new all-time high. I'm guessing this metric is the biggest source of our US News improvement. We probably moved up based on last year's record numbers. Since they were even better this year, hopefully we'll be celebrating an even higher ranking this time next year. Elite football should send applications up and improve our selectivity score in future years as well.
    3 users like Camel at Sea's post: BoomSoon2016, MalibuSooner, OU48A

56, 56 - Texas
    75, 71 – Baylor
    78, 82 - TCU
    97, 111 - Oklahoma
    115, 111 - Iowa State
    115, 118 – Kansas
    145, 135 - Kansas State
    176, 176 - Texas Tech
    187, 183 - West Virginia

When I see this list it reminds me of similar list from the 1970’s that I gave the academic rankings of the old Big 8..... OU was usually ranked 7th just ahead of osu.

It’s gratifying to see OU now ranked ahead of most other old Big 8 universities.... but we have so much more we should do.

The AAU once seemed like a pipedream for OU but with continued steady improvement it is within our reach just as long as we keep pushing OU toward that goal even if it takes another generation of OU people doing it.

Providing OU football with state of the art facilities will help keep OU football great. Great OU football will be a major part of the equation when it comes to donations that improve OU academics.

Baker plants OU flag, OU moves up considerably in rankings. Not a coincidence.
    4 users like RockFlagandEagle's post: BoomSoon2016, Jaiddin, kingswitz, lauderdaleOU

Originally Posted by Crazyivan View Post
    Unless someone can show me evidence those NMS scholars provide significant contributions BACK to the university once they've graduated.
    What kind of significant contributions do you have in mind?

Originally Posted by MI Sooner View Post
    Wondered if you'd chime in.....

Not a huge fan of the USNWR rankings, but USNWR is even less of a fan of the Big XII. Man, what terrible ratings. Texas is the bell cow of the conference and there are six public schools in the Big 10 ranked higher.

has there ever been an analysis done to see if the university/state are benefitting in any way from this program?
    we've had this discussion before....
    the university needs to provide an accounting and results report to justify it's existence...
    taxpayer money is spent on out of state students......taxpayers deserve to know if it's paying off or not...

Those schools suck at football. Tell him to go to OU. He can go to grad school somewhere good. Can you imagine spending Saturday afternoons rooting for the Carnegie Mellon robotics team instead of the Sooners?
    2 users like MI Sooner's post: BoomSoon2016, IndySooner

has there ever been an analysis done to see if the university/state are benefitting in any way from this program?
    we've had this discussion before....
    the university needs to provide an accounting and results report to justify it's existence...
    taxpayer money is spent on out of state students......taxpayers deserve to know if it's paying off or not...
    I had a hard time getting laid in college, leaving more **** for the dumbs. That seems like a worthwhile contribution.

Those schools suck at football. Tell him to go to OU. He can go to grad school somewhere good. Can you imagine spending Saturday afternoons rooting for the Carnegie Mellon robotics team instead of the Sooners?
    my oldest is a sports nut....that's why he's at ou...
    my youngest has little interest in sports...altho he plays basketball...

I don't know much about computer science, but I would think Stanford, MIT, and Caltech would be top notch.....along with Saxet simply due to the number of tech companies HQ'd in Austin.

I had a hard time getting laid in college, leaving more **** for the dumbs. That seems like a worthwhile contribution.
    so you haven't accomplished much eh?
    don't give back to ou?

so you haven't accomplished much eh?
    don't give back to ou?
    I'm a Rhodes scholar. I have a Ph.D. in bio-analysis. I trained with the Navy SEALs for, let's see, seven years. And I won the Heisman Trophy... twice.

And, no, I don't give to OU. Thanks for the subsidized beer drinking for five years, sucker!

I'm a Rhodes scholar. I have a Ph.D. in bio-analysis. I trained with the Navy SEALs for, let's see, seven years. And I won the Heisman Trophy... twice.

And, no, I don't give to OU. Thanks for the subsidized beer drinking for five years, sucker!

so you're a road scholar......you know how to spell bio-analysis......you work with seals in a circus......and you've seen the heisman ceremony....once....
    you're a typical landthieves poster.....

So how is it we are ranked ahead of Kansas, when they are a member of the AAU?

You left out the banging Victoria's Secret models in your spare time.

Ohhhh, maybe for starters at least enough to match what the school gave them.
    The following users like this post: 87sooner

so you're a road scholar......you know how to spell bio-analysis......you work with seals in a circus......and you've seen the heisman ceremony....once....
    you're a typical landthieves poster.....
    You left out my big ego and small ****.

Ohhhh, maybe for starters at least enough to match what the school gave them.
    What did they give me? You can't just assume that they can replace every scholarship student with a tuition paying student. Do you make the same requirement of need based scholarships?

Schools use price discrimination to charge people more who are willing to pay more.

What did they give me? You can't just assume that they can replace every scholarship student with a tuition paying student. Do you make the same requirement of need based scholarships? Schools use price discrimination to charge people more who are willing to pay more.
    First, recipients of needs based scholarships are just that, based on NEED. NMS are merit based, and very much based on hard work, but certainly not, by definition, "need". Therefore, what other reasons are there to distribute such scholarships other than 1) positive public image for marketing, and/or 2) because of their high academic achievement through high school, you anticipate those students will be successful in professional life to the extent there is a good chance they will one day return funds to the university, which can then be plowed back into they system. You know how it works. So all I'm asking is, and for a university like OU I don't believe is an unreasonable question, over the last 20 years, how much money has been distributed in the form of NMS, and how much has been subsequently donated back by former NMS students who did not donate anonymously.

So you put yourself in Boren's shoes, and I'll just make up some numbers for illustration. Let's say that based on my question you find out that ratio is 2:1, meaning you paid out twice as much as was returned. Does that not give you at least some pause as to why you're putting so much effort into bringing in NMS students, and marketing that fact so much?

First, recipients of needs based scholarships are just that, based on NEED. NMS are merit based, and very much based on hard work, but certainly not, by definition, "need". Therefore, what other reasons are there to distribute such scholarships other than 1) positive public image for marketing, and/or 2) because of their high academic achievement through high school, you anticipate those students will be successful in professional life to the extent there is a good chance they will one day return funds to the university, which can then be plowed back into they system. You know how it works. So all I'm asking is, and for a university like OU I don't believe is an unreasonable question, over the last 20 years, how much money has been distributed in the form of NMS, and how much has been subsequently donated back by former NMS students who did not donate anonymously.

So you put yourself in Boren's shoes, and I'll just make up some numbers for illustration. Let's say that based on my question you find out that ratio is 2:1, meaning you paid out twice as much as was returned. Does that not give you at least some pause as to why you're putting so much effort into bringing in NMS students, and marketing that fact so much?
    Money isn't distributed through the National Merit program any more than money is distributed to seniors who get the prime rib for $5 off at the early bird special. Restaurants just know geezers are more willing and able to eat early, and that they're also cheapskates who won't pay the $20 they can charge other people after 6 pm.

Similarly, to a large extent, $0 is what NMS are willing and able to pay to go to OU, so that's the price OU charges. Just like they judge accepted students willing and able to pay $5,000, $5,000 (via need based financial aid).

If OU didn't take needy students or provide NMS their full rides, they could undoubtedly still have the same number of undergraduate students. But it would be a different (worse) class, and a less prestigious school, and those students who still chose to go there might not be willing to pay whatever they pay now to go to that alternative version of OU.

You're asking good questions, and I don't know whether OU would be better off without the NMS program, but you can't just take the number of NMS, multiply by the current tuition, and say that that's what the program costs OU.

Originally Posted by Nirvana Norman View Post
    You left out the banging Victoria's Secret models in your spare time.
    I guess I can't expect you non-NMS rubes to be familiar with high culture like Stuck on You.