If OU wins #8, what's your lasting view of Coach Stoops?

Posted 11 day(s) ago by MarkStoops1945 Views 63 Replies
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Originally Posted by MarkStoops View Post
    Coach******

Pondered this on my drive home today...

If LR can somehow drive this team to a CFP and NC, how much will we look back on it and credit Bob?

At this point, to say a lot of what was built here is not Stoops' doing would be a lie.

It was he who brought in (with help of the staff) SoonerSquad17

It was he who brought in LR

It was he who beat 'Bama that ultimately led to all of the upgrades and new facilities/better talent

Will our lasting impression of Stoops be that towards the end he just couldn't get it done or will it be that he had a team that he knew could do it and in a rather selfless act, handed over the reigns, knowing it may have had a lasting impact on his legacy.

Thoughts?
    Riley's success or failures will not alter my views of the Stoops era.

Or the Blake era.

Or Schnellys year.

Or Gibbs' era.

Or......etc. to Wilkenson and before.
    The following users like this post: OU812

A good, not great coach, who got comfortable too quickly, and whose talent for coaching was slightly overshadowed by bad coaching hires, complacent recruiting, and great difficulty accepting criticism.

Stoops will go down as one of the better coaches in the game, but not one who lived up to his full potential.

I put two type Os on your mother.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    FIFY

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Originally Posted by manateepower View Post
    A good, not great coach, who got comfortable too quickly, and whose talent for coaching was slightly overshadowed by bad coaching hires, complacent recruiting, and great difficulty accepting criticism.

Stoops will go down as one of the better coaches in the game, but not one who lived up to his full potential.
    This is hilarious. You realize there's only a half dozen + coaches that have won national championships during Stoops tenure

Bob Stoops further solidified his "greatness" in the way he transitioned his program.

The greatest leaders have transition plans for when they step down. (Not naming a successor is one of the few knocks against Alexander the Great)

Bob probably had it in mind to pass the torch to Josh H and then realized he wasn't the guy to carry the legacy.

So he stayed with it for a few more years than he likely wanted so that he could find the right successor.

I'm sure Bob was as excited as anyone on Saturday because he was realizing the full spectrum of his "plan".

Lincoln Rileys win on Saturday is one of the biggest this program has experienced including any during Bob's tenure.The residual effects are enormous for Lincoln's success and the future of our program.

Without Bob's remarkable ability in leadership, no way Lincoln inherits a potential NC on a platter.

Back to the original point, how many national championship winning coaches in the last 2 decades have left their program in such a fine state?

Urban left Florida in a pile. Mack Brown's program is garbage (as always). Pete Carroll left USC in flames. Les Miles left LSU in a decent state but not top 5.

You can say Bobby B left FSU in good shape for Jimbo, but it wasn't his call.

Dabo, Nick and Jimbo are still active. And I'm guessing they will likely follow Bob's model.

I genuinely think Bob Stoops may have established a whole new bar for how college coaches treat their position and legacy.
    3 users like smusooner's post: goldenokiebear, SplitTD, tennsooner

Lurking for years but finally had to respond, you guys really need to let it go.

Stoops himself has said every year is different and every team is different.

The question posed is ridiculous. It is as ridiculous as those saying Stoops won #7 because of John Blake. If Stoops deserves any credit for #8, then Blake deserves credit for #7.

I think there is a huge hole in the collective psyche of those that supported Stoops, do or die, for the past 10 years when it was clear it was time for him to go. They can’t even accept the FACT that Stoops himself knew it was time to move on. They were wrong and those that questioned Stoops’ fire were right.

There is no question in my mind Stoops wanted to win #8, he just couldn’t. He left the program to someone that he believed could and for that he should be commended. But to suggest he is responsible for #8 is just asinine. He had 18 years, more than enough time to get #8 and he failed. I believe in his hearts of hearts he knew that was the expectation and it was no longer as important to him as those demanding it.

Stoops was a great football coach that morphed into a good football coach. The reasons for that I don’t know, but I suspect it has more to do with human nature than anything. There are few people that can give their all to something professionally for nearly 20 years and Stoops stopped doing that about 10 years ago, which is absolutely forgivable. What isn’t forgivable is hanging on for whatever reason after you realize the gig is up. It took a while but Stoops rectified that.

Lasting impression hasn’t changed much with the exception of witnessing him rooting for OU against tOSU. That warmed my heart. He has always been a great person and if big boy football were just about that OU would have all the national championships. It isn’t. This is not to say he couldn’t be a great football coach again IF he could or wanted to find that fire again.

Finally, none of what I just wrote has anything to do with whether or not Lincoln Riley, the Head Football Coach of the University of Oklahoma Sooners, wins #8 this year of 5 years from now. Stoops will have had nothing to do with “coaching” these players. Last I checked the ability to do that wins national championships.

Please stop.
    The following users like this post: SoonerNow

Coach******

Will our lasting impression of Stoops be that towards the end he just couldn't get it done or will it be that he had a team that he knew could do it and in a rather selfless act, handed over the reigns, knowing it may have had a lasting impact on his legacy.

Thoughts?

Originally Posted by gieog View Post
    Lurking for years but finally had to respond, you guys really need to let it go.

The question posed is ridiculous. It is as ridiculous as those saying Stoops won #7 because of John Blake. If Stoops deserves any credit for #8, then Blake deserves credit for #7.

I think there is a huge hole in the collective psyche of those that supported Stoops, do or die, for the past 10 years when it was clear it was time for him to go. They can’t even accept the FACT that Stoops himself knew it was time to move on. They were wrong and those that questioned Stoops’ fire were right.

There is no question in my mind Stoops wanted to win #8, he just couldn’t. He left the program to someone that he believed could and for that he should be commended. But to suggest he is responsible for #8 is just asinine. He had 18 years, more than enough time to get #8 and he failed. I believe in his hearts of hearts he knew that was the expectation and it was no longer as important to him as those demanding it.

Stoops was a great football coach that morphed into a good football coach. The reasons for that I don’t know, but I suspect it has more to do with human nature than anything. There are few people that can give their all to something professionally for nearly 20 years and Stoops stopped doing that about 10 years ago, which is absolutely forgivable. What isn’t forgivable is hanging on for whatever reason after you realize the gig is up. It took a while but Stoops rectified that.

Lasting impression hasn’t changed much with the exception of witnessing him rooting for OU against tOSU. That warmed my heart. He has always been a great person and if big boy football were just about that OU would have all the national championships. It isn’t. This is not to say he couldn’t be a great football coach again IF he could or wanted to find that fire again.

Finally, none of what I just wrote has anything to do with whether or not Lincoln Riley, the Head Football Coach of the University of Oklahoma Sooners, wins #8 this year of 5 years from now. Stoops will have had nothing to do with “coaching” these players. Last I checked the ability to do that wins national championships.

Please stop.
    So Stoops is just a "good coach". Must be a lot of good coaches running around with an 18 year tenure, one of the highest winning %, a National Champ ring, 10 Big 12 titles, victories in all 5 major bowl games and a slew of other accolades.

Who else out there compares to that?

If we were to try and quantify what "good" means, I think it would be reasonable to say "performs between 80-90%" of coaches whose tenures coincided simulatenaously.

Bob Stoops is easily better than 90% of the coaches that have been active during his time period.
    The following users like this post: dog-knee

Originally Posted by CrimsonOberon View Post
    He left the team stronger than when he arrived.
    I don't know, man.

Blake really had them on the verge!
    The following users like this post: Yuck Fu

Originally Posted by gieog View Post

Please stop.
    First posts aren't supposed to be this wordy. Come in softer with your introduction next time.
    2 users like RockFlagandEagle's post: Adonijah_Aijalon, South slider

If we win, I'd say Stoops will be remembered as the guy that put us back on the map, and put LR in the perfect position to win. However, deserved or not, he'll have a little bit of a reputation of a guy that couldn't quite get it done at the very top. A comparison that comes to mind is Tressel (outside of leaving in shame) due to how they both rejuvenated big name programs, but also had some big time losses. Overall though, I can think of maybe one coach I'd take over Stoops during his era, and that's Saban. He did almost everything right, and I got to grow up with some awesome football because of him.

Big 12 Bob

Nothing was more important than winning the conference. That was always the stated goal. #1 goal. Everything else was icing on the cake. That's why that's the best we got for 16 years.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

Originally Posted by OkieThunderLion View Post
    I don't know, man.

Blake really had them on the verge!
    That turd actually really believed that. As he put it shortly after Stoops won the National title. " All he could do was think and wonder what might have been had he been given just a little more time"

Originally Posted by tennsooner View Post
    That turd actually really believed that. As he put it shortly after Stoops won the National title. " All he could do was think and wonder what might have been had he been given just a little more time"
    I do love the whole "Blake recruited most of those guys" argument. Yeah, Blake was such a great recruiter that Stoops had to go to South Dakota to find a QB who could complete a pass. Everyone recruits well elite schools. There is enough history and resources to overcome some incompetence.

Originally Posted by manateepower View Post
    I do love the whole "Blake recruited most of those guys" argument. Yeah, Blake was such a great recruiter that Stoops had to go to South Dakota to find a QB who could complete a pass. Everyone recruits well elite schools. There is enough history and resources to overcome some incompetence.
    Blake was such a great recruiter he never came close to a top 20 class in any year. Yeah he could knock them dead.
    The following users like this post: manateepower