If OU wins #8, what's your lasting view of Coach Stoops?

Posted 9 day(s) ago 1908 Views 63 Replies
Results 1 to 50 of 64
Page 1 of 2 1 2
  1. #1

    If OU wins #8, what's your lasting view of Coach Stoops?

    Coach******

    Pondered this on my drive home today...

    If LR can somehow drive this team to a CFP and NC, how much will we look back on it and credit Bob?

    At this point, to say a lot of what was built here is not Stoops' doing would be a lie.

    It was he who brought in (with help of the staff) SoonerSquad17

    It was he who brought in LR

    It was he who beat 'Bama that ultimately led to all of the upgrades and new facilities/better talent

    Will our lasting impression of Stoops be that towards the end he just couldn't get it done or will it be that he had a team that he knew could do it and in a rather selfless act, handed over the reigns, knowing it may have had a lasting impact on his legacy.

    Thoughts?
    The following users like this post: soonerschooner


  2. #2
    Really???
    4 users like No19Sooner's post: chris9996, OU_On_My_Mind, soonirvana, StatGeek


  3. #3

  4. #4
    Originally Posted by No19Sooner View Post
    Really???
    I think it's a legitimate question. National pundits and average fans are already talking about how the team "looked different" under LR.

    I am not being critical or overhyping. I believe this is fair play.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The following users like this post: MarkStoops


  5. #5
    No matter what happens, every member of LandThieves should get a participation trophy!
    4 users like HorpelKrufkin's post: Deepfried, MarkStoops, OSUcowpoke344, Yuck Fu


  6. #6
    GoonerSooner's Avatar
    Posts
    10,235
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    God's Country


  7. #7
    Originally Posted by MarkStoops View Post
    I think it's a legitimate question. National pundits and average fans are already talking about how the team "looked different" under LR.

    I am not being critical or overhyping. I believe this is fair play.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fantastic point!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The following users like this post: RockE


  8. #8
    OU_On_My_Mind's Avatar
    Posts
    1,627
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    With Your Mother

    How about we let him win 8 games before talking about #8.
    3 users like OU_On_My_Mind's post: dog-knee, HouSooner, land burglar73507


  9. #9
    ....I would say he did most everything right, including being honest enough to know that he had taken the program as far as he could....and wise enough to hand off the baton to the future, securing the integrity of his legacy

    SS

  10. #10
    My lasting view of Coach Stoops is respect.

    He left the team stronger than when he arrived.
    '
    He didn't leave under cover of night like Fairbanks.

    He gave Lincoln Riley a loaded team and pristine facilities.

    How could I not respect the hell out of that man? He's a Sooner--now and forever.

  11. #11
    OuachitaSooner's Avatar
    Posts
    8,407
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Philadelphia

    Two typos in the thread title was all I needed to see.
    3 users like OuachitaSooner's post: MarkStoops, son of soundtrack, ThievingMagpie


  12. #12
    barlowd's Avatar
    Posts
    26,822
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Clark's driveway

    Great coach, loyal to a fault but when he left he did it his way
    4 users like barlowd's post: CrimsonOberon, MarkStoops, SoonerNow, SoonernVolved


  13. #13
    Originally Posted by OuachitaSooner View Post
    Two typos in the thread title was all I needed to see.
    I put two typos on your mother.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    4 users like MarkStoops's post: Deepfried, land burglar73507, MarkStoops, OUrage


  14. #14
    The guy gave up millions a year to make sure he was leaving the program at a high level. Few coaches would care about the program that much not to mention all the jobs he turned down to stay at OU. Legend for sure.

  15. #15
    Originally Posted by MarkStoops View Post
    Sad Op
    You have no idea where this program was when Bob came on board.

    Did he have his flaws and failures? Sure.

    But we were one quick loss away from being Nebraska: banished to being an also ran for 3-4 decades.
    5 users like TheBoots's post: CrimsonOberon, GonzOU, johnintx, MarkStoops, SoonernVolved


  16. #16
    OUrage's Avatar
    Posts
    16,752
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    FLORIDA

    Stoops players


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The following users like this post: oupunk


  17. #17
    Originally Posted by MarkStoops View Post
    I put two typos on your mother.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mom jokes? What are you...twelve??
    The following users like this post: OUrage


  18. #18
    Mike Stoops is the best and I would be very pleased if he won his second NC as a DC
    The following users like this post: GonzOU


  19. #19
    I can't believe OP continues to disrespect "If" the way he does. Ever heard of white-out? Are you ON white-out?

  20. #20
    CalSOONER's Avatar
    Posts
    3,147
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Fingerbang World Tour

    Interesting thread, Coach Blake.

  21. #21
    Originally Posted by MarkStoops View Post
    Fantastic point!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You forget to log into your sock acct? Or is this the sock?
    3 users like RockFlagandEagle's post: ATLantaSooner79, Soonerlife, ThreeHatBilly


  22. #22
    I would say bob would have to be above the other great coaches at ou if in fact this team wins the title this year. Simply for not running the program into the ground before he left like most great coaches do. And I think we are seeing the effects of a new voice at head coach. I personally don't know that bob would have beat Ohio state. He probably wouldn't have kept going for those 4th downs after the first one failed and would have kept kicking field goals out of seiberts range even after that miss. I think in a lot of ways he just coached not to lose and I think that had a negative impact on players and their confidence.

  23. #23
    Mazeppa's Avatar
    Posts
    3,507
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Red Fork, Ok

    Originally Posted by MarkStoops View Post
    I think it's a legitimate question. National pundits and average fans are already talking about how the team "looked different" under LR.
    They looked different because they are different. Every team changes from year to year.

  24. #24
    Originally Posted by Mazeppa View Post
    They looked different because they are different. Every team changes from year to year.
    ....John Blake teams excluded


    SS
    Last edited by p23570; September 13th, 2017 at 05:29 AM. Reason: give up

  25. #25
    Mazeppa's Avatar
    Posts
    3,507
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Red Fork, Ok

    Originally Posted by South slider View Post
    ....John Blake teams excluded


    SS

    They got better too, one game a year.
    Last edited by p23570; September 13th, 2017 at 05:30 AM. Reason: responding to posters who can't use the quote feature properly? we expect better out of you.

  26. #26
    Haven't we all already given our opinions on this the past decade. See 2006-2016 game threads for answers you seek.

  27. #27
    Originally Posted by OU_On_My_Mind View Post
    How about we let him win 8 games before talking about #8.
    eh...make it 10 at least. That's usually the beginning for acceptable standards here.

  28. #28
    Even better than it was a few months ago. He is a boss that cares about others. Truly.
    The following users like this post: RockE


  29. #29
    probably him celebrating on the field with Riley and the boys like a proud grandpa and then taking everyone out for domestic beers and $150 cheeseburgers to celebrate
    The following users like this post: Yuck Fu


  30. #30
    SportyJames's Avatar
    Posts
    7,104
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Corpus Christi

    Originally Posted by MarkStoops View Post
    Coach******

    Pondered this on my drive home today...

    If LR can somehow drive this team to a CFP and NC, how much will we look back on it and credit Bob?

    At this point, to say a lot of what was built here is not Stoops' doing would be a lie.

    It was he who brought in (with help of the staff) SoonerSquad17

    It was he who brought in LR

    It was he who beat 'Bama that ultimately led to all of the upgrades and new facilities/better talent

    Will our lasting impression of Stoops be that towards the end he just couldn't get it done or will it be that he had a team that he knew could do it and in a rather selfless act, handed over the reigns, knowing it may have had a lasting impact on his legacy.

    Thoughts?
    Stoops. Legend. Did it his way.

    And thanks for Badet OP.

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    3 users like SportyJames's post: CrimsonOberon, MarkStoops, SoonerNow


  31. #31
    With or without #8, he left the program better than he found it. That is what I will remember.
    4 users like oubassdaddy's post: CrimsonOberon, HorpelKrufkin, SoonerNow, SoonernVolved


  32. #32
    RockE's Avatar
    Posts
    3,391
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Ann Arbor

    Bob's a badass. anyone that wins a NC is a badass. he'll be more appreciated as he sticks around the program while Linc does his thing here.
    The following users like this post: GonzOU


  33. #33
    Originally Posted by MarkStoops View Post
    Coach******

    Pondered this on my drive home today...

    If LR can somehow drive this team to a CFP and NC, how much will we look back on it and credit Bob?

    At this point, to say a lot of what was built here is not Stoops' doing would be a lie.

    It was he who brought in (with help of the staff) SoonerSquad17

    It was he who brought in LR

    It was he who beat 'Bama that ultimately led to all of the upgrades and new facilities/better talent

    Will our lasting impression of Stoops be that towards the end he just couldn't get it done or will it be that he had a team that he knew could do it and in a rather selfless act, handed over the reigns, knowing it may have had a lasting impact on his legacy.

    Thoughts?
    LR chooses No. 2, thank you. https://theplayerstribune.com/ready-...lincoln-riley/

  34. #34
    StoopTroup's Avatar
    Posts
    11,345
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    OKLAHOMA

    Originally Posted by OU_On_My_Mind View Post
    How about we let him win 8 games before talking about #8.
    I have this feeling that it doesn't matter because when it comes down to it, this is Stoops Team without Stoops.

    It's up to Baker and the Team. Lincoln obviously is able to throw some chaos into the offense and so far Mike Stoops is showing why he is still here. After seeing Baker and the Team on the road this weekend, I don't need to see 8 games. I think I just saw the best Team in the Country get the crap beat out of them by a Team everyone said had no chance. Shades of 2000 when we had no chance.
    The following users like this post: GonzOU


  35. #35
    Stoops will end up as more of a legendary coach if Riley gets the NC this year than if he was still coaching. Look at the total devastation most programs go through after replacing a long time successful coach. Of course we'll have to see how it plays out, but he could have set things up from another great decade or two for the Sooner faithful instead of risking a decade of suck like Texas, Notre Dame, Florida State Michigan, and USC went thru because their coach left the program at a low point or hung on too long. I'm certain Stoops knew he had the pieces to make a legit title run this year and it has to be tough to give that up for a competitive guy like him. If we win an NC this year, he'll get a lot of credit and I think he'll get national pride as a coach that serves as a model for others doing it right from start to finish. Made a ton of money, but always put the program first.
    2 users like Tx Sooner's post: GonzOU, SoonerNow


  36. #36
    You're getting way too ahead of yourself.

  37. #37
    I'll credit Stoops for 1.5 national championships.
    The following users like this post: MarkStoops


  38. #38
    My view..

    Sent from my LG-M210 using Tapatalk

  39. #39
    Originally Posted by Adonijah_Aijalon View Post
    My view..

    Sent from my LG-M210 using Tapatalk
    Mazeppa, maybe a Riley and Stoops photoshop project please?

    Sent from my LG-M210 using Tapatalk

  40. #40
    Originally Posted by South slider View Post
    ....I would say he did most everything right, including being honest enough to know that he had taken the program as far as he could....and wise enough to hand off the baton to the future, securing the integrity of his legacy

    SS
    This^^ , great points .. Bob is a great program builder and coach . He resurrected OU . He just got burned out a bit towards the last 4-6 years in brining top recruits , game planning and I this his comminication skills with players deteriorated . staff selections failed him at times .
    He will still be remembered as a winner and a sooner legend coach for all his wins and high character . His exit will be remembered for a long time as one of the top classy and selfless move by finding grooming and assigning an optimal successor in LR.
    The following users like this post: SoonerNow


  41. #41
    Yuck Fu's Avatar
    Posts
    8,096
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Ah so, mutha fucka.

    I think I'll always remember Stoops and his unbridled joy after this year's win over Ohio State. Something he would have never allowed himself to do if he were still head coach. I felt really good for the guy that probably for the first time he was able to relax a little bit and just enjoy Oklahoma football for the first time.

  42. #42
    A lot of fans never gave Stoops credit for the 2000 NC. Wonder what their feelings would be on one in the next 2 years?

  43. #43
    nlight1's Avatar
    Posts
    3,477
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Oklahoma City

    Let's get to the title game first

  44. #44
    My lasting view of Coach Stoops will always be "what if". What if DeMarco hadn't gotten hurt in 08? What if Jason was healthy and Mike hadn't taken the Arizona job before the CCG in 03? Had those things had happened, Bob would have 3 Nattys just like Bud and Barry.
    The following users like this post: VA_Sooner


  45. #45
    Originally Posted by HorpelKrufkin View Post
    No matter what happens, every member of LandThieves should get a participation trophy!
    Yes, I want my participation trophy. I didn't get any participation trophies when I was growing up and I feel left out. It hurt my feelings and screwed me up for life.

  46. #46
    Originally Posted by CrimsonOberon View Post
    My lasting view of Coach Stoops is respect.

    He left the team stronger than when he arrived.
    '
    He didn't leave under cover of night like Fairbanks.

    He gave Lincoln Riley a loaded team and pristine facilities.

    How could I not respect the hell out of that man? He's a Sooner--now and forever.
    Perfectly said.

  47. #47
    Coach Stoops related:

    https://t.co/6TjhzQee1m

    NORMAN, Okla. -- Bob Stoops surveyed his domain at 8 a.m. over a cup of coffee on the back patio of the Belmar Golf Club.
    Except for a couple of workers on a beautiful central Oklahoma morning, the former Sooner coach was alone. While his coaching career had ended, another week of retirement was just beginning.

    "That's Lon Kruger right there teeing off," he said of the OU basketball coach. "And that's the trainer, Alex Brown. He's been here 30 years. They play in about an hour and a half."

    Um, good to know, Bob. Later, Stoops would hit a bucket of balls, work out and enjoy life to its fullest.

    It was -- in Stoops' new normal -- a full day. If you get the idea the man has time on his hands, just watch. Just another day in (retirement) paradise becomes more plural with each sunrise.
    "I've got more that I want to do," Stoops said last week. "What it is, I'm not sure yet."

    Is that Stoops or a Jimmy Buffet lyric? Since shocking the world with his retirement on June 7, Stoops has spent a lot time convincing people he's really done. That and becoming the coolest guy in the world.

    Steak tacos for breakfast last week at Belmar? On Saturday, he shot an 88 at Muirfield Village -- Jack Nicklaus' legendary track in Columbus -- before the Ohio State game.

  48. #48
    Originally Posted by MarkStoops View Post
    If OU wins #8, what's your lasting view of Coach Stoops?
    That he is an excellent gift giver.

  49. #49
    Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    I would say bob would have to be above the other great coaches at ou if in fact this team wins the title this year. Simply for not running the program into the ground before he left like most great coaches do. And I think we are seeing the effects of a new voice at head coach. I personally don't know that bob would have beat Ohio state. He probably wouldn't have kept going for those 4th downs after the first one failed and would have kept kicking field goals out of seiberts range even after that miss. I think in a lot of ways he just coached not to lose and I think that had a negative impact on players and their confidence.
    Riley stopped going for it on fourth down. We missed the first one and then he had Seibert attempt a 37 yarder on 4th and 4 and a 35 yarder on 4th and 1.

    They last two were when we were in wind down the clock and don't get kicks blocked mode. If anything, Stoops would have (and should have) gone for more 4th downs.

  50. #50
    Hell they might as well give it to us now. A lot of people here need to take a deep breath.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: July 22nd, 2015, 04:10 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: April 23rd, 2014, 01:30 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: March 10th, 2014, 10:50 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: August 22nd, 2013, 11:00 PM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: June 29th, 2013, 10:52 PM

Tags for this Thread