What if Army beats tOSU?

Posted 8 day(s) ago 2551 Views 85 Replies
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Suicidal Pony What if Army beats tOSU?

Actually, the broader question is: What if tOSU ends up 8-4 or 7-5. How does that effect us?

I'm not convinced that the Buckeyes are very good, and I think they could drop 3 or more games over the season. Urban rightfully gets a pretty big benefit of the doubt, but Barrett really is a pretty average QB. That last miss on the wide open receiver was really really bad.

Yup, it's Wednesday.
    Last edited by soonerlarry; September 13th, 2017 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Lost a day somwhere.

Originally Posted by soonerlarry View Post
    Actually, the broader question is: What if tOSU ends up 8-4 or 7-5. How does that effect us?

I'm not convinced that the Buckeyes are very good, and I think they could drop 3 or more games over the season. Urban rightfully gets a pretty big benefit of the doubt, but Barrett really is a pretty average QB. That last miss on the wide open receiver was really really bad.

Yup, it's Tuesday.
    Where in the Hell is it Tuesday at? It's Wednesday last time I checked.
    5 users like BobStoopsGinger's post: CrimsonOberon, FackYouMS, Lbarnum86, RockFlagandEagle, SA OSO

We'll all shrivel up and turn to dust.
    5 users like OkieThunderLion's post: freedombird, ken.carlyle, okie52, SiggyPoke, TheRooster

Originally Posted by OkieThunderLion View Post
    Yes we all do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The following users like this post: Stinger_1066

Originally Posted by BobStoopsGinger View Post
    Where in the Hell is it Tuesday at? It's Wednesday last time I checked.
    Maybe he forgot to hit "post" last night.

Saying that, zero if OU runs the table. Very little if OU ends up with 1 loss.
    3 users like RockFlagandEagle's post: BobStoopsGinger, CalSOONER, soonerlarry

Sorry to disappoint, but tOSU will beat Army by 50. Way too much talent on that roster. Now Michigan and/or Pedo State might beat them, but they're not losing 4 or 5 regular season games.
    The following users like this post: king47sooners

tOSU will out talent everybody on their schedule besides Michigan, just like they did to Indiana. Urban will have them rolling by game 4. OU handled the most talented team in the nation on their home field.

The old "they're not as good as we thought they were bit." Right on cue. Well, a bit later than usual, actually.
    3 users like Bob Swilkinson's post: Adonijah_Aijalon, freedombird, yfzracer111

I would certainly savor the irony of Army beating the Pokies right after OSU carpetbagged the '45 NC from them.
    3 users like The Mork Daddy's post: ouwasp, SA OSO, thatsoonerfan89

Originally Posted by BoomSoon2016 View Post
    Sorry to disappoint, but tOSU will beat Army by 50. Way too much talent on that roster. Now Michigan and/or Pedo State might beat them, but they're not losing 4 or 5 regular season games.
    I'm afraid pedo state is gonna end up in the final four. Which makes me sick because they shouldn't even have a team anymore.
    6 users like traxx's post: boomer8390, BoomSoon2016, manateepower, TheRooster, Troker, tycat947

Army doesn't throw. Their O fits what tOSU does well.
    2 users like Rufus T Firefly's post: HorpelKrufkin, Manu

Yup, it's Wednesday.
    tOSU handed Indiana their ass despite Indiana playing very well most of the game. Indiana just dusted Virginia last weekend. I'd be surprised if Army stays within 3 td's of tOSU.
    The following users like this post: CrimsonOberon

I could see them losing 3 games this year. Having said that, I will be rooting hard for them to win out until CFP.

The following users like this post: soonerlarry

Originally Posted by awr90 View Post
    tOSU will out talent everybody on their schedule besides Michigan, just like they did to Indiana. Urban will have them rolling by game 4. OU handled the most talented team in the nation on their home field.
    While I basically agree with you, this isn't actually the point of the thread.

They lost 2 of their last 3 games by a total of 62 to 16. Is it possible that they lose 4 games? yes. What if they do?

Originally Posted by Bob Swilkinson View Post
    The old "they're not as good as we thought they were bit." Right on cue. Well, a bit later than usual, actually.
    They're ranked 9th. Last week they were ranked 2nd. AP just being OU haters ranking them that low?

Originally Posted by The Mork Daddy View Post
    I would certainly savor the irony of Army beating the Pokies right after OSU carpetbagged the '45 NC from them.

Never go full retard man....
    The following users like this post: king47sooners

They're ranked 9th. Last week they were ranked 2nd. AP just being OU haters ranking them that low?
    Ummm ... yeah. They lost, they dropped. That's what usually happens. Besides, psst, here's a secret: September rankings don't actually say a whole lot about how good or bad a team really is.

Meh, give Meyer a few weeks.

He may be out of pixie dust, so don't expect big miracles......but he will get them playing better defense pretty quickly. Big 10 passing isnt that great either....so a little improvement goes a long way for them.

If he turns Kevin Wilson loose, they will be serviceable on offense. More than 3 losses would be shocking.
    The following users like this post: dirtstar

Jfc. I guess I need to clarify. I don't have a strong opinion either way on how good tOSU is, and I can't think of anything I care less about than whether tOSU wins 10 games or 2 games . . . . . . . . OTHER than how their record effects our position in the CFP debate.

I think it will effect our position.
    tOSU absolutely got a benefit last year once we ran the league table and won the conference. Would they still have gotten into the CFP if we'd gone 7-5?
    I don't know, but it's certainly possible they wouldn't have. A lot of people already thought other teams should've gone instead.

If tOSU is as good as we think they are, we can prolly lose a game and get in. If not, I'm not totally sure.

If army beats them my erection will last at least one more week
    5 users like Ohio sooner's post: Adonijah_Aijalon, boomer8390, MyT Oklahoma, Troker, XingTheRubicon

Technically speaking, I would also savor that scenario you describe. It would be great! However, I see a flaw in your thought process.

Originally Posted by OkieThunderLion View Post
    Not before a new "Stoops to tOSU" thread is started.

Originally Posted by Bob Swilkinson View Post
    Ill take that over "Akron has the best Dline OU will face all season."

Sent from my LG-M210 using Tapatalk
    3 users like Adonijah_Aijalon's post: jakel, OU_On_My_Mind, SplitTD

I bet that made a whole lot of sense to you as you were waking and baking...not so much now...BOOMER!

**** you, Wednesday.

I don't see that it really matters what anyone else does to tOSU. Even if they drop a game. or two (or three), I can't see anyone else doing to them what we just did: which is, go into their house and kick the ever-living shit out of them on both sides of the ball.

That game was less about how bad tOSU might be, and more about how good Oklahoma IS.

We played so well we brought our B-game and still left with a multi-td victory--which actually should have been even uglier (something closer to 40(+)-16). That we shot ourselves in the foot a few times is the only reason the score was as close as it ultimately was.
    5 users like CrimsonOberon's post: BoomSoon2016, MyT Oklahoma, Stinger_1066, TheRooster, theSeanDon

Originally Posted by CalSOONER View Post
    **** you, Wednesday.
    5 users like traxx's post: CalSOONER, Mazeppa, soonerlarry, SportyJames, theSeanDon

Jfc. I guess I need to clarify. I don't have a strong opinion either way on how good tOSU is, and I can't think of anything I care less about than whether tOSU wins 10 games or 2 games . . . . . . . . OTHER than how their record effects our position in the CFP debate.

I think it will effect our position.
    tOSU absolutely got a benefit last year once we ran the league table and won the conference. Would they still have gotten into the CFP if we'd gone 7-5?
    I don't know, but it's certainly possible they wouldn't have. A lot of people already thought other teams should've gone instead.

If tOSU is as good as we think they are, we can prolly lose a game and get in. If not, I'm not totally sure.
    I think you're correct that it CAN matter, depending on which scenarios play out. If they're vying for a position with another (let's say 1 loss) p5 program like USC and let's say just for giggles ND or Texas went 9-3. Why would an 8-4/7-5 tOSU provide any more "prestige" than the wins against the aforementioned teams with better records?

I think in the scenario you pose, the perception of conference strength then becomes a big deal once again (and I mean that for all the conferences not just the Big 12. It might be that the ACC is not all that great this year).

I said this before the season even started (and it's "documented" on this site) that the tOSU game was THE most important game of the season for OU and changing the perception of the Big 12 AS LONG AS tOSU finishes in the top 10. If they don't, you just beat another 8-4 team.

Remember 2015 all of the arguing and fighting about ND and OU and who deserved that forth spot? Now it became a moot point because ND lost the last game to Stanford, but what was the argument? It was, "Who had the best wins". And I would argue that by seasons end, the win against an 8-4 Tennessee (a team that was highly touted before the year started) was not even a factor in the decision making process. It was all about beating Baylor, TCU and OSU.

But OU looks impressive so it might be this isn't even an issue by the end of the season.

I think tOSU was expecting to roll us like last year. They have super athletes and I fully expect them to win games.
    The following users like this post: SoonerNow

What if Oklahoma loses to Tulane?

What day of the week is this?
    The following users like this post: OKIRISHFAN

Tulane plays Army next week. So maybe Army beats tOSU and then loses to Tulane who we've already beaten.
    Either way, that Army- Tulane game could tell us a lot.
    The following users like this post: SoonerNow

Even if they lose 3 games the rest of the way, the best part of beating a blue blood program is the built in excuse of "well they didn't care anymore because they lost a game early." That excuse has worked before no?

Either way. We beat 'em first, highly ranked and at home.
    The following users like this post: ouwasp

Originally Posted by Ohio sooner View Post
    If army beats them my erection will last at least one more week
    Will it swell even more when the national narrative then becomes how overrated OU is because they only beat a team that just lost to Army??

No, I would say eighth or ninth is just about right. We have a lot of problems, and whether there is the will/ability to correct them is an open question right now.

I want Ohio State to win every game the rest of this season. Win them all by a score of 77-0. I want them ranked #1. I want JT Barrett to be runner-up to Baker Mayfield for the Heisman. I want Ohio State and Oklahoma to have a rematch in the Rose Bowl. The Granddaddy of Them All.

Then I want the Sooners to burn their village, **** their horses, and ride off on their women.

Horse raping? That is not an OU tradition.
    3 users like Hallucinogenic_Toreador's post: jakel, Matthias, SoonerNow

Go Bucks! The more they win the better we look.

Technically speaking, I would also savor that scenario you describe. It would be great! However, I see a flaw in your thought process.
    Yeah, I was half-asleep and missed the "t" at the front of the OSU part. On that note, I will now ...

If Army beats OSU then that would make our win look bad immediately (and Army has been better of late, but no one who follows the Mules is thinking that). As much progress I've seen in the Mules, we are just hoping for a second straight Navy win at seasons end. My guess is that a victory over the Buckeyes won't happen.

Is Ohio State a top 10 team, maybe or maybe not. Can't tell yet. Do I think they'll lose 4-5 game like the OP said, very doubtful? I think they are a bare minimum a top 15 team.

Here is how I think their schedule plays out:
    Indiana ---> W (1-0)
    Oklahoma ---> L (1-1)
    Army ---> W (2-1)
    UNLV ---> W (3-1)
    Rutgers ---> W (4-1)
    Maryland ---> W (5-1)
    Nebraska ---> W (6-1)
    Penn State ---> L (6-2)
    Iowa ---> W (7-2)
    Michigan State ---> W (8-2)
    Illinios ---> W (9-2)
    Michigan ----> L (9-3)

I think they are still in the top 15 with a 9-3 record, and really the Penn State game is at home, and the Michigan game is winnable for them if Michigan doesn't improve a lot.
    The following users like this post: Zimwillett

If the committee has any interest in creating an incentive for teams to play these big time non conference games as home and homes (as opposed to in Jerry World or Atlanta), they'll give OU plenty of credit for winning in Columbus regardless of how they finish. Plus, I think there are enough "football" people on the committee who understand just how difficult it is to go on the road and win a game like this. Seriously, go look at the schedules of the other contenders and tell me how many true road wins (in or out of conference) would be better than OU beating Ohio State in prime time in front of 100k.

All that said, I don't really accept the premise. I don't think Ohio State is as bad as OU made them look. I'd be utterly shocked if they finished the season with anything more than 3 losses. They just have way too much talent for most teams to deal with.

Originally Posted by acheman8 View Post
    Will it swell even more when the national narrative then becomes how overrated OU is because they only beat a team that just lost to Army??

Naw mang... I hope they continue to doubt us.

Fellas no way they lose to army. Relax. Ohio covers

What if tOSU blows them out?
    2 users like AppalachianSooner's post: Lbarnum86, Vodnik

Well this is ridiculous. tOSU was even more one dimensional last year than this year, we just sucked. They beat Michigan without being able to throw downfield. Michigan is 10 degrees worse this year than last. Only team i see REALLY pushing them is Penn St. I really like the RB for them. I dont know enough about the QBs in that conference to say whether theres any more of a threat outside of that...but iowa st couldve beat Iowa and maryland only threw on texas bc the guy was basically a RB.

JT wont get better i dont think but their WRs, DBs, and hopefully for them their coaching staff, will.

That said...OU goes undefeated...i dont care what happens to them, but maybe we should...we did annex that a$$

Ohio has two more losses but Army ain't one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk
    The following users like this post: land burglar73507

Oklahoma gets credit for beating the #2 team in the country. That reputation would be tarnished if said #2 team went on to record a 1-11 season, which is highly unlikely. Certainly, it is possible for OSU to lose 4 or 5 games and every year it seems a preseason Top 10 team defies the prognosticators and performs much worse than predicted. I hope that team is not OSU. In any event, Oklahoma beat the #2 team in the country and regardless how bad that team looked to the entire college football watching world, the Sooners were rewarded with a #2 or #3 ranking as a consequence. As much as OSU looked "that bad," the Sooners looked "that good."
    The following users like this post: Avi