OSU Basketball assistant Coach charged in corruption scheme

Posted 28 day(s) ago by Bear_Jew29337 Views 790 Replies
Page 16 of 16 6 14 15 16
    Originally Posted by PokeJ View Post
    Not an expert on the subject. Haven't read the indictments. Were most of the original indictments from Adidas? Will the new indictments be Nike?

OSU is a Nike school. Was Evans playing both sides?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think there are a few angles. I think the money was coming from Adidas, some financial planners, and some agents. I’ve only seen Evans’ name associated with the financial planner, but who knows. Perhaps his involvement was more limited than Louisville or some of the other Adidas schools.

So someone explain something to me. What is the difference between what was being done, which the fbi is calling bribes, and referral fees? Paying someone to suggest to another to use them is the American way. Referral bonuses are SOP in every industry.

Originally Posted by ChpThril View Post
    So someone explain something to me. What is the difference between what was being done, which the fbi is calling bribes, and referral fees? Paying someone to suggest to another to use them is the American way. Referral bonuses are SOP in every industry.
    Tax evasion perhaps?

Originally Posted by OU48A View Post
    Tax evasion perhaps?
    Well thats a whole other charge. They're coming at peeps with bribery charges. I havent really read the charges. So maybe there's something else that im missing inside.

I don’t know exactly, but obviously there are differences between referrals and bribes. I can donate $10,000 to a local politician, and that is OK. If my donation is tied to an expectation that I’ll be awarded a government contract, that is a bribe. I’m not sure how they are differentiated, but I’m guessing the FBI considers this to go beyond simple referral fees. Still, that’s a very good question.

Well thats a whole other charge. They're coming at peeps with bribery charges. I havent really read the charges. So maybe there's something else that im missing inside.

The way I understood it when it first came out was that he was using his status as a state employee to solicit money from outside entities. If I had been shopping Jawun Evans to potential agents it would be fine since I'm not employed by the state of Oklahoma as Evans' coach. That may be way off base, though.

I'm not sure, but Giving payment or favors in return for business is a bribe. Different industries address referral vs bribes differently. Also, if the "referral" fees are hidden, it's a bribe. Another point, if a coach is paid to exert influence on players with regard to what school, agent, etc., it's a bribe and it could be coercion as well.

I'm not a lawyer so I'm not sure how Its applied in this case.

Can state employees receive a referral bonus? Their job may specifically preclude them from receiving one.

Originally Posted by DIB View Post
    Can state employees receive a referral bonus? Their job may specifically preclude them from receiving one.
    State employees have to report all outside income. I know because I have a friend that works for the state. He cant have a second job with any company that bids on a state contract. The state calls it a conflict of interest.

...and if you don't disclose the "referral" it's called a bribe and it's illegal. Getting money or favors under the table in exchange for jobs or contracts for businesss is a bribe.

Originally Posted by DIB View Post
    I worked for a big 6 consulting firm after OU. We did the SAP implementation for the city of Dallas. We couldn’t so much as but a beer for a COD employee. They were well trained to turn down gifts, drinks, donuts, or pretty much anything that could be considered an extra incentive.
    The following users like this post: Bear_Jew

Originally Posted by RockFlagandEagle View Post
    Legally how it would happen is Adidas would cut the recipient a 1099. Since this was all under the table I'm sure it was a cash transaction booked as some sort of refund, repair, cost of goods sold or some such. It would have been buried in their books but I would have a hard time believing it wasn't on their books at all.
    it had to be on their books somewhere.....
    and publicly traded companies like nike could have to answer questions from the sec.....(not that sec....the other one).....wrt their accounting practices...

Originally Posted by CobraKai View Post
    I worked for a big 6 consulting firm after OU. We did the SAP implementation for the city of Dallas. We couldn’t so much as but a beer for a COD employee. They were well trained to turn down gifts, drinks, donuts, or pretty much anything that could be considered an extra incentive.
    Dallas runs on SAP? Cool. I've done several SAP implementations. Getting ready to integrate SAP with an Oracle Cloud app.

Regarding the state employee issue: one of the assistants that was indicted was from USC. They are private, so there must be more to it than just being a state employee.
    The following users like this post: CobraKai

Originally Posted by Stinger_1066 View Post
    Dallas runs on SAP? Cool. I've done several SAP implementations. Getting ready to integrate SAP with an Oracle Cloud app.

Regarding the state employee issue: one of the assistants that was indicted was from USC. They are private, so there must be more to it than just being a state employee.
    They did a long time ago. At least HR/Payroll did.

They may be private, but they still receive money/subsidies from the federal government right? I would think that makes them subject to similar laws regarding bribery that public schools are subject to.

Edit: Found it:

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.si.co...uisville-bribe

The federal government's stake in this topic is multi-faceted. For one, the alleged bribes took place across state lines, meaning the persons travelled to different states or communicated across state lines. Such “interstate" activity triggered the possibility of federal charges for conspiracy, bribery, fraud and other crimes.

In addition, the federal government financially supports both public and private universities, including through financial student aid, grants and tax breaks. From that lens, coaches handle federal resources and those coaches' salaries are partly subsidized through the federal government. Further, these coaches, as one of the complaints details, “have the ability to provide sports agents, financial advisors, business managers and others with access to the student-athletes they coach" and wield “enormous influence over the student-athletes who play for them, in particular with respect to guiding those student-athletes through the process of selecting agents and other advisors when they prepare to leave college and enter the NBA." In at least an indirect sense, then, federal taxpayers are funding corruption in college sports.

4 users like Bear_Jew's post: BoomSoon2016, CobraKai, OU812, tycat947

More indictments coming in the next few weeks, allegedly.
    2 users like OU812's post: Bear_Jew, Vodnik

http://newsok.com/new-york-grand-jur...rticle/5567594

STILLWATER — Oklahoma State University has received a subpoena from a New York grand jury asking for all documents and communications regarding "actual or potential NCAA rules violations" by players and coaches of the men's basketball team, The Oklahoman has learned.

The subpoena demands that OSU either gather the evidence and turn it over to a New York FBI agent by Oct. 17, or have a university representative prepared to travel to New York and appear in person before the grand jury to testify at that time.

"Failure to attend and produce any items hereby demanded will constitute contempt of court and will subject you to civil sanctions and criminal penalties, in addition to penalties of the law, " Joon H. Kim, acting United States Attorney for the Southern District of New York, states in the grand jury subpoena that was dated Sept. 27 and obtained by The Oklahoman through an open records request.
    Last edited by 87sooner; October 11th, 2017 at 11:54 AM.

"FBI's an Oklahoma guy, always been an Oklahoma guy, so..."

it's strange that a grand jury is looking into ncaa rules violations..

I HOPE THE FBI ****S YOU OVER KU

Kansan newspaper requested records involving KU and the FBI probe, and the FBI's response was

“is located in an investigative file which is exempt from disclosure.”

“The records responsive to your request are law enforcement records; there is a pending or prospective law enforcement proceeding relevant to these responsive records, and release of the information in these responsive records could reasonably be expected to interfere with enforcement proceedings,”

http://www.kansan.com/sports/fbi-say...ign=user-share

I was hoping Condi would replace Boren, but she might be too busy:

Mark Emmert picks Condoleezza Rice to lead new committee to fix NCAA basketball
    Grant Hill and David Robinson will also serve on the committee

Also:

'Tip of the iceberg': More charges expected this month in college basketball scandal

One former high-major college coach who retains deep connections in the business said he believes the case will lead to 40 to 50 job openings for head and assistant coaches by the spring.
    2 users like Stinger_1066's post: Bear_Jew, IndySooner

Originally Posted by 87sooner View Post
    it's strange that a grand jury is looking into ncaa rules violations..
    More from Clay and Ellis:

Evidence of men's basketball NCAA violations is just a small part of records the grand jury is demanding.

The grand jury is also demanding that the university provide:

• The personnel file of Evans, the former assistant basketball coach.

• All NCAA certification forms, including drafts and student athlete statements for Evans and "all current students on OSU's men's basketball team."

• All communications related to the above certification forms.

• All documents and communications pertaining to financial aid, including scholarships, for all current student athletes on the OSU men's basketball team.

• All documents and communications regarding actual or potential NCAA rules violations relating to the receipt of money, travel, in-kind benefits or services by OSU players and coaches associated with the men's basketball team, including communications between OSU employees and officers, communications with the NCAA, and non-privileged material from any NCAA or internal investigations.

• All communications between any member of the coaching or athletic department staff of the OSU men's basketball team and financial advisers Christian Dawkins, Martin Blazer and Munish Sood. The grand jury also is demanding communications with any parent of any current member of the basketball team.
    2 users like soonerfan1966's post: Bear_Jew, freedombird

that sounds promising. sounds like we will know soon if evans was flying solo.
    2 users like Keef's post: Bear_Jew, freedombird

Think Baylor
    The following users like this post: OU48A

The FBI is going after all the NCAA documents because it's related to their investigation into the fraud, bribery, and corruption case. Also, they want to determine what schools and coaches are documenting, so when they find all the "off the book" stuff...you have some splainin to do.

This is going to continue to get bigger and wider. I just pray OU isn't involved in any way. This is going to be a huge scandal for college basketball and only a matter of time before it crosses over into CFB and all college sports.
    7 users like OU812's post: Bear_Jew, BoomSoon2016, freedombird, Keef, OU48A, SA OSO, SoonernVolved

i think basketball, football, and possibly softball will be impacted or implicated in some way(softball is verbling 7th graders now). i think baseball will not be as affected because they can already go pro and not attend college(100$ handshakes not included). the question is will the p5 conferences be willing to make any changes to the golden goose. my opinion is it will only be a dog and pony show.

Originally Posted by OU812 View Post
    The FBI is going after all the NCAA documents because it's related to their investigation into the fraud, bribery, and corruption case. Also, they want to determine what schools and coaches are documenting, so when they find all the "off the book" stuff...you have some splainin to do.

This is going to continue to get bigger and wider. I just pray OU isn't involved in any way. This is going to be a huge scandal for college basketball and only a matter of time before it crosses over into CFB and all college sports.
    I would be very surprised if OU was involved in this in anyway unless a coach just went completely ****ing rogue....
    2 users like Breadburner's post: freedombird, tycat947

Originally Posted by Breadburner View Post
    I would be very surprised if OU was involved in this in anyway unless a coach just went completely ****ing rogue....
    that is likely the case at EVERY school involved...
    do you actually think a president or ad gave orders to cheat?
    yeah....u probly do .....you're a methburner......never mind...

Maybe not the AD or president giving the order, but if they knew and looked the other way...

KU has quite a network to buy players. Higher ups may have plausible deniability, but it's not such a reach to think some schools knowingly cheat. They know it's going on and look the other way.

Exactly. I agree that 100% of schools have boosters that cheat. $100 handshakes, fake jobs, etc. But you are correct that some schools and ADs are far more culpable that others. I can 100% assure you that OU’s compliance office (which basically serves as an independent counsel, and has a generally adversarial relationship with the AD) is not the same as other schools. My cousin played baseball at a Big 12 school (not OU). He jokes about the compliance office at said school, and how they only existed to make sure this anonymous Austin, TX-based school didn’t get caught. He had Tommy John surgery and decided to transfer. He finished his career at another Big 12 school and said it was night and day how different the compliance departments were.

At anonymous school 1 (Texas), they overtly paid players and the compliance officers literally trained them on how not to get caught. At anonymous school 2 (Big 8/12 school in Kansas), they were like ****s always trying to bust them for something. This is according to him.
    Last edited by CobraKai; October 12th, 2017 at 09:24 PM.

A family member of mine lives in Kansas City and says there have been lots of TV news stories regarding Bill Self and KU and the shoe controversy. That is all I know.

Originally Posted by MichSooner View Post
    A family member of mine lives in Kansas City and says there have been lots of TV news stories regarding Bill Self and KU and the shoe controversy. That is all I know.
    hmmm, I'm in kc and I haven't seen jack...pretty quiet from all my ku buddies.

Last edited by ouflak; October 18th, 2017 at 12:20 PM.

So Pitino gave an interview and claimed that he conducted and passed a lie detector test proving his innocence.

There were some pretty funny comments that because he’s a vampire he can pass a lie detector test easily lol.

Originally Posted by Bear_Jew View Post
    So Pitino gave an interview and claimed that he conducted and passed a lie detector test proving his innocence.

There were some pretty funny comments that because he’s a vampire he can pass a lie detector test easily lol.

Of course, he administered the test himself, but I'm sure it's legit.

He's a professional liar. A polygraph doesn't mean jack for guys like him who can beat it. He's a lying sum****.
    2 users like OU812's post: Bear_Jew, tycat947

Originally Posted by OU812 View Post
    Of course, he administered the test himself, but I'm sure it's legit.

He's a professional liar. A polygraph doesn't mean jack for guys like him who can beat it. He's a lying sum****.
    Also doesn’t really look for him either way. Either you’re a terrible person, or extremely oblivious to what’s going on within your program.

The following users like this post: OU812

Lol...wut a dumb ****...
    The following users like this post: Boomer6671

"It's not a lie if you believe it."

boynton hired scott sutton to replace evans...

boynton hired scott sutton to replace evans...
    nothing is safer than hiring a Sutton...what could possibly go wrong?