R.I.P. Ralphie May

Posted 13 day(s) ago 908 Views 30 Replies

R.I.P. Ralphie May

Happened Oct 6th. I just heard today.

The following users like this post: smot

Dude was a consistent killer. RIP.

The lack of sorrow for Ralphie on this board is pathetic. Those clips Beelze posted are some of the best stand-up work of all time.

He was a good one. His fat monkey routine was funny as shit.

Someone tell Gabriel Iglesias that the beetus and heart disease has their eye on him now.

He was awful. Not remotely funny. Neither is Gabriel.
    3 users like Tao Chemical's post: blackfrancois, Breadburner, KCRuf/Nek

I have a friend that loved Ralphie. I never found him remotely funny. And when he talked about having sex (which was about every 3 minutes) made me nauseous.

Yall ****ers are crazy. Those clips are funny. But honestly, I have t seen a bunch of his stuff, saw him live in Houston and he killed.

Fwiw, Bill Burr thinks he was one of the best in recent years. Like music, we all have our own taste.
    The following users like this post: beelzeBob

Happened Oct 6th. I just heard today.
    you must be a huge fan.
    2 users like KCRuf/Nek's post: Breadburner, Keef

Originally Posted by smot View Post
    The lack of sorrow for Ralphie on this board is pathetic. Those clips Beelze posted are some of the best stand-up work of all time.
    You have not seen many acts if you think this guy was that funny...
    2 users like Breadburner's post: blackfrancois, KCRuf/Nek

Yes and no. I've probably watched two comedians on tv the last few years, Louis CK and Bill Burr. I'm not much on watching tv, especially comedians and musicians. Some things are best live. I go to the Improv about once a month so I'm exposed to a lot of acts. I see a bunch of guys eating their balls which the casual fan who only watches the really polished comedians doing comedy specials doesn't 't see. When I saw Ralphie he absolutely killed, and it wasn't just me the whole club was rolling.

Gonna see Pablo Francisco this weekend. Have no idea what to expect.

Yes and no. I've probably watched two comedians on tv the last few years, Louis CK and Bill Burr. I'm not much on watching tv, especially comedians and musicianss. Some things are best live. I go to the Improv about once a month so I'm exposed to a lot of acts. I see a bunch of guys eating their balls which the casual fan who only watches the really polished comedians doing comedy specials don't see. When I saw Ralphie he absolutely killed, and it wasn't just me the whole club was rolling.

Gonna see Pablo Francisco this weekend. Have no idea what to expect.
    Maybe it's just the atmosphere, but there really is something about seeing it live. Hell, I once saw a show where Argus Hamilton was the headliner, and he had the place rolling and calling for an encore.

Originally Posted by Mississippi Sooner View Post
    Maybe it's just the atmosphere, but there really is something about seeing it live. Hell, I once saw a show where Argus Hamilton was the headliner, and he had the place rolling and calling for an encore.
    Yeah maybe. The ones that really kill are the guys (and gals) who work the crowd and can go off script and still deliver. You don't get that in the big theaters and arena shows. Ralphie interacted and gave everybody shit. Another dead fat guy that did that was Patrice O'Neal. He just walked out and started talking to the audience and straight murdered.
    The following users like this post: Mississippi Sooner

Yeah maybe. The ones that really kill are the guys (and gals) who work the crowd and can go off script and still deliver. You don't get that in the big theaters and arena shows. Ralphie interacted and gave everybody shit. Another dead fat guy that did that was Patrice O'Neal. He just walked out and started talking to the audience and straight murdered.
    Totally agree. That's where Robin Williams excelled, too. That's what true improv is supposed to be.

Totally agree. That's where Robin Williams excelled, too. That's what true improv is supposed to be.

Robin Williams was a ****ing hack. He was the Carlos Mencia/Dennis Leary of the 70's and 80's.

Don Rickles, Red Foxx, and Robin Harris are some of the best that would improvise and go after an audience.

Originally Posted by S00nerJay View Post
    Robin Williams was a ****ing hack. He was the Carlos Mencia/Dennis Leary of the 70's and 80's.
    Usually I'd say it's a bit early to be drinking but it is Texas weekend.
    The following users like this post: SiggyPoke

Originally Posted by KCRuf/Nek View Post
    Usually I'd say it's a bit early to be drinking but it is Texas weekend.

He was a hack, he was a joke thief. If by drinking, you mean a sober person might be a little nicer instead of calling him out for the con artist that he was...then yeah maybe. I suppose he could act a little.

you must be a huge fan.

I think the dude was funny as hell, but not quite up to the likes of Bill Hicks and Doug Stanhope.

He was a hack, he was a joke thief. If by drinking, you mean a sober person might be a little nicer instead of calling him out for the con artist that he was...then yeah maybe. I suppose he could act a little.
    Yeah. Whatever man. Who exactly did he steal from?

Originally Posted by beelzeBob View Post
    not quite up to the likes of Bill Hicks.

like comparing meatloaf* to led zeppelin.

* not the singer, the dish.
    The following users like this post: KCRuf/Nek

Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post

like comparing meatloaf* to led zeppelin.

* not the singer, the dish.

That was a contrast not a comparison. Shake yer head at yoself.

This is now the comedian smack thread.

This is now the comedian smack thread.

"My opinion is better then yers."

-All of Landthieves
    The following users like this post: Mississippi Sooner

For my money, it doesn't get any better than that dang Dane Cook and the blue collar guys.

Originally Posted by AlSwarengin View Post
    For my money, it doesn't get any better than that dang Dane Cook and the blue collar guys.
    pesos?
    The following users like this post: KCRuf/Nek

Yeah. Whatever man. Who exactly did he steal from?

Who didn't he steal from?

Larry David
    John Witherspoon
    He did Ray Romano's entire set on the Tonight Show
    Dick Cavett
    Tom Kinney
    Williams actually paid royalties to a comic named Steven Pearls for stealing his entire act
    Pat Morita

Could go on, but it would be easier to ask, "Who didn't he steal from?"

He had a reputation so bad that comics wouldn't go on after him. Before his death, Williams went on the Marc Maron podcast and basically admitted to his thievery, but he called it "sampling."

I know he is beloved for some of his shit. But he really was a piece of garbage if you read about some of the shit he did to people. Like I said, he was Carlos Mencia before Carlos Mencia.

There’s an interesting bit about joke thievery in Dick Cavett’s autobiography:

“I needed a joke about eating out in New York, and somehow I hit on the idea of a Chinese-German restaurant. The punch was, “The food is delicious. The only problem is, an hour later you’re hungry for power.” I told it to Rollins (Jack, Cavett and Woody Allen’s Manager), who howled and said I had a biggie there. That night was a smash, and from then on it never failed, even when everything else did. Three days later, I was flipping through the daily papers, and my joke leaped out at me from Earl Wilson’s column. Except it was attributed to Rip Taylor at the Copa.”

“Naively and furiously, I called Taylor and asked him to stop doing my line. He said, “Oh, did I say that?,” and laughed heartily at the joke. I didn’t realize that the witty things attributed to celebrities in those columns are rarely said by them. Often they are phoned in by a guy who gets a hundred dollars a week to plant funny sayings for that person, and when he doesn’t have any he steals them.”

“From that point on, my best jokes would appear in Earl Wilson or elsewhere, attributed to Pat Henry or Jackie Vernon or London Lee, and once even to Woody, who had himself been the victim of this pernicious practice.We both had a good laugh over his getting one of mine. But the situation continued to gall me, and I would look out over the audience at the club some nights wondering which was the creep who was making more than I was off my material.”

“The print thievery didn’t hurt as bad as seeing and hearing your joke on Laugh In, television’s Niagara Falls of plagiarism, or on the Red Skelton Show, which survived for a year on Woody’s best jokes, or in the mouth of some crap comic on the Ed Sullivan Show, where it would stand out like a jewel in his otherwise vimitorious act and get a hand.”

“Sometimes I would call Woody to report the latest theft of one his jokes. He finally asked me to stop, because, number one, it pained him and if he didn’t know about it he would feel better, and, number two, it didn’t matter because the crap comics would always be crap comics, and although it hurts to have your jokes stolen, something about you puts you forever in another category and world from them, or at least that is what you tell yourself. He was right.”
    The following users like this post: blackfrancois

Who didn't he steal from?

Larry David
    John Witherspoon
    He did Ray Romano's entire set on the Tonight Show
    Dick Cavett
    Tom Kinney
    Williams actually paid royalties to a comic named Steven Pearls for stealing his entire act
    Pat Morita

Could go on, but it would be easier to ask, "Who didn't he steal from?"

He had a reputation so bad that comics wouldn't go on after him. Before his death, Williams went on the Marc Maron podcast and basically admitted to his thievery, but he called it "sampling."

I know he is beloved for some of his shit. But he really was a piece of garbage if you read about some of the shit he did to people. Like I said, he was Carlos Mencia before Carlos Mencia.
    I always hated the son of a **** and now I feel better knowing I have a reason. Thank you.

Your avatar’s a comedy act.