**Coaches Fired/Hired/Rumors Thread O’ Destiny ‘17/‘18 **

Posted 50 day(s) ago by BoulderSooner35028 Views 815 Replies
Page 10 of 17 8 9 10 11 12
    Originally Posted by PlayDeep60 View Post
    He was an asst coach there, his wife is a former Vol cheerleader, one of his kids goes there & he was there for the South Carolina game. Do you think just maybe someone asked if he had an interest in the job during his visit? Don't count him out by any means,
    He was a graduate assistant there, '86-87. I'm sure he has great affection for Tennessee, and I'm sure countless people have asked him about his interest. I actually hope he's offered the job and accepts it. At least it would take his name off the "coaches we really want!" list of message-board posters at almost every college program with an opening since 2009.

Originally Posted by Tx Sooner View Post
    Problem with Gruden is he’s likely to bring a quality Pro style system to Tennessee if hired and while that might put up solid win totals and credible bowls, the reality is that Saban eats pro-style systems for lunch. Seems like most of the SEC is comfortable playing for 2nd place. Any team that wants to unseat Alabama should get a Chip Kelly, or Mike Leach type that coach systems that Saban’s defenses struggle with.
    Why no second-tier SEC program has gone after a spread guru is befuddling. Grab a dozen speedsters who didn't get to go to Alabama because they're a little shorter and slimmer, and light it up.
    The following users like this post: Balko

Les Miles is 64. Maybe he could be a transition coach for KU...if he hired someone as OC who could recruit a damn quarterback.

Originally Posted by AppalachianSooner View Post
    Why no second-tier SEC program has gone after a spread guru is befuddling. Grab a dozen speedsters who didn't get to go to Alabama because they're a little shorter and slimmer, and light it up.
    Never happen I’m sure, but how much fun would press conferences be after an SEC matchup of Saban and Leach as an SEC opponent? I could see Saban having a meltdown about Leach’s hurry up offense, while Leach makes fun of his crying.

Hiring a guy like Leach might be a little crazy but someone needs to upset the apple cart because the SEC has become a cakewalk for Alabama and a death sentence for all other SEC coaches.
    The following users like this post: SA OSO

Les Miles seems like Nebraska material all the way to me.

I'm not sure about Gruden in college. I do think we see Gruden coaching again because ESPN is probably gonna cut him loose in a couple years. If Tennessee is smart it'll go after a Chip Kelly or Mike Leach or another spread type system.

Listening to Clay Travis this morning, he's saying:

Chip Kelly to Florida.

John Gruden to Tennessee. He put that one at 50% probability. He did not put a probability on Chip Kelly.

He said he knows for certain that Gruden is already feeling out potential assistants.

He says if Gruden says no, then Dan Mullen is the 2nd choice.

Originally Posted by Balko View Post
    He was a graduate assistant there, '86-87. I'm sure he has great affection for Tennessee, and I'm sure countless people have asked him about his interest. I actually hope he's offered the job and accepts it. At least it would take his name off the "coaches we really want!" list of message-board posters at almost every college program with an opening since 2009.
    His last job in college was as Wide Receivers coach for Pitt back in 1991. His last NFL job was in 2008. So, they are going after a coach who has not been a coach for a decade & is going to be 27 years removed from his last college coaching stint? Factor in Gruden had no patience for 30+ years old quarterbacks & we are to believe he’s now going to be good with 18-24 year old quarterbacks? This just screams big time risk,(as in the kind that can potentially set a program back several decades type risk), when there are way more qualified coaches out there.
    The following users like this post: kopp0e

Originally Posted by Stinger_1066 View Post
    Listening to Clay Travis this morning, he's saying:

Chip Kelly to Florida.

John Gruden to Tennessee. He put that one at 50% probability. He did not put a probability on Chip Kelly.

He said he knows for certain that Gruden is already feeling out potential assistants.

He says if Gruden says no, then Dan Mullen is the 2nd choice.
    If it's Gruden his first call needs to be to Tee Martin as his OC. Martin would be an incredible recruiter for Tennessee. I just get the feeling Mullen isn't leaving State he'll get a healthy raise, has a 2018 recruiting class ranked 15th coming in, has two 4* dual threat qbs(which he's never had) and just about everyone returns. Grantham gets a healthy raise and for the first time in years he has a returning DC.

Originally Posted by SoonernVolved View Post
    His last job in college was as Wide Receivers coach for Pitt back in 1991. His last NFL job was in 2008. So, they are going after a coach who has not been a coach for a decade & is going to be 27 years removed from his last college coaching stint? Factor in Gruden had no patience for 30+ years old quarterbacks & we are to believe he’s now going to be good with 18-24 year old quarterbacks? This just screams big time risk,(as in the kind that can potentially set a program back several decades type risk), when there are way more qualified coaches out there.
    I've always thought that Gruden would flop big time in the college game. He will be a splashy hire, and will probably recruit pretty well just on his name alone....but I dont think that his style will mesh well with college kids.
    The following users like this post: SoonernVolved

Originally Posted by ResidentEvil View Post
    I've always thought that Gruden would flop big time in the college game. He will be a splashy hire, and will probably recruit pretty well just on his name alone....but I dont think that his style will mesh well with college kids.
    Agree.

Yep, I'd be afraid he'd be a much more high profile and charismatic Bill Callahan. Not sure West Coast offenses with 25-word playcalls are a good fit for college kids, and Gruden seems to love that stuff.
    2 users like ChocoLab's post: ResidentEvil, SoonernVolved

Originally Posted by ChocoLab View Post
    Yep, I'd be afraid he'd be a much more high profile and charismatic Bill Callahan. Not sure West Coast offenses with 25-word playcalls are a good fit for college kids, and Gruden seems to love that stuff.
    Yea, wasn't one knock on him that his O was too complicated? That it took a smart veteran to get it down enough to really win at a high level?
    The following users like this post: ChocoLab

Yea, wasn't one knock on him that his O was too complicated? That it took a smart veteran to get it down enough to really win at a high level?
    And that’s why he was known to get into it with his quarterbacks,(who were older & more seasoned than the college kids). This just screams, “Make a splash/name hire to make the fans happy”, but I fear it’s going to blow up in Tennessee’s face if it happens.
    The following users like this post: ChocoLab

Chip Kelly has a deal in principle to Florida.

🔌‏
    @incarceratedbob
    Follow Follow @incarceratedbob
    More
    **BREAKING CFB NEWS**
    Source: Chip Kelly and Florida #Gators have deal in principle to become next HC @FloridaGators barring any last minute snags

https://twitter.com/incarceratedbob/...82778860347398

I would say Florida will be on probation soon, but they’re SEC, so they’re exempt from the rules.

That’s interesting.

His face is so large.
    The following users like this post: TheBoots

Originally Posted by OU812 View Post
    I would say Florida will be on probation soon
    That is why Kelly to FL is the perfect fit

Originally Posted by BobStoopsGinger View Post

@incarceratedbob
    Follow Follow @incarceratedbob
    More
    **BREAKING CFB NEWS**
    Source: Chip Kelly and Florida #Gators have deal in principle to become next HC @FloridaGators barring any last minute snags

https://twitter.com/incarceratedbob/...82778860347398

The source is a sports gambling site?

Really....

The SEC won't have a clue on how to defend him with one week to prepare.

SEC
    SEC

Tis the season when every twitter rumor is considered fact

Originally Posted by chsguy2013 View Post
    No, it says that aTm will pursue Fisher...and an anon source close to Fisher says he will listen. But, anon sources.......I dont believe it for a second.

He would have to be a moron to leave FSU for aTm.

lol we are using "@incarceratedbob" as a source.

Regardless, this would be a great hire for Florida. Wondering why none of these jackwagons has ever thought to bring in a good offensive mind to be a head coach in the conference. Had South Carolina hired Lincoln Riley when they interviewed him two years ago, they'd likely be running away with the SEC this year.

Originally Posted by Silentsniper1516 View Post

1st guy sounds credible, 2nd guy doesn't, especially with less than 700 followers
    The following users like this post: Silentsniper1516

No, it says that aTm will pursue Fisher...and an anon source close to Fisher says he will listen. But, anon sources.......I dont believe it for a second.

He would have to be a moron to leave FSU for aTm.
    I'm not sure. At FSU, he's going to have to fire a lot of his staff this off season. At A&m, he could do what he did at FSU and get paid even more. I think it's a move for a raise, but that won't happen by FSU this year

I can see Saban shit himself as we speak.

Sent from my LG-M210 using Tapatalk

...and in other news, HFC Nick Saban was transported to a Tuscaloosa regional medical facility after unexpextedly hyperventalating, defecating in his khaki's, and repeatedly yelling, "its too fast, its too fast"...
    4 users like TheBoots's post: freedombird, Jaiddin, SA OSO, SportyJames

After his performance with Philadelphia, they can have him. Not impressed.

Originally Posted by Bustarime View Post

Rick Pitino was horrible as an NBA coach. Doesn't mean he doesn't know how to coach at the college level....or impregnate women...or buy hookers.

Go GATA?
    4 users like ATLantaSooner79's post: CalSOONER, Fugue, NickDangerThirdEye, Widescreen

Has Saban approved this hire...??

Lol...You better be happy Texas didn't hire him..This guy will have Florida rolling...
    4 users like Breadburner's post: Bear_Jew, ChpThril, EufaulaSooner, manateepower

Really gonna like seeing ESPN spin the non Defense in SEC in about 2-3 years...
    5 users like Balboa73's post: BehindEnemyLines, ChpThril, SA OSO, SoonerKA1999, StatGeek

Originally Posted by Breadburner View Post
    Lol...You better be happy Texas didn't hire him..This guy will have Florida rolling...
    If he would've gotten Philadelphia rolling, I'd agree with you. He beyond sucked monkey balls and was a catastrophic failure.

After seeing what Saban did with the Dolphins, the Crimson Tide said they weren't impressed and didn't hire him. Wait...

I don't know if this is good for us. Gives SEC teams more experience going against an offense like OU's and they can even start recruiting to slow it down. When we play an SEC team in a bowl game it's not as big of a deal.
    The following users like this post: Dr Sleep

If he would've gotten Philadelphia rolling, I'd agree with you. He beyond sucked monkey balls and was a catastrophic failure.
    Your logic seems a bit flawed.
    2 users like RockFlagandEagle's post: Bear_Jew, Breadburner

Originally Posted by crazy4ou View Post
    I don't know if this is good for us. Gives SEC teams more experience going against an offense like OU's and they can even start recruiting to slow it down. When we play an SEC team in a bowl game it's not as big of a deal.
    Need someone to slay the dragon in the SEC. It will affect OU very little in the grand scheme of things.

A lot of his innovations have been copied so much now, I wonder how successful he'll really be. His strength wasn't in connecting to his players.
    3 users like ChocoLab's post: blackfrancois, EufaulaSooner, StatGeek

Originally Posted by chsguy2013 View Post
    The source is a sports gambling site?

Really....
    Is a flight tracker a better source?

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N...930Z/KGNV/KBDL
    The following users like this post: eyeballjr

Gata got his Gack

He went 10-6, 10-6, and 7-9. That's a pretty good catastrophic failure.

Originally Posted by SoonernVolved View Post
    Gruden's wife graduated from Tennessee and one of his kids is a student there. Him being on campus is not uncommon.
    The following users like this post: SoonernVolved

Sorry...That has shit to do with anything...

Originally Posted by RockFlagandEagle View Post
    His face is so large.
    like the reverend sun myung moon.
    2 users like RockE's post: CalSOONER, RockFlagandEagle