That made me laugh.
    Me threeeeee.

His Royal Highness the Honorable King of LandThieves Esq. III

I always enjoy the poors and their humor

Originally Posted by SoCaliSooner View Post
    Lol. It was pretty ****in funny, right?
    2 users like Maximus's post: Mjcpr, Petro-Sooner

Rufus: I live in Hollister, which is about 35 minutes inland from Monterey. I've lived in Hollister for close to 10 years and go to Monterey fairly often for one reason or another. Been in the SF Bay Area (previously lived in San Jose, San Carlos, San Francisco and Mountain View before Google minions gobbled up everything in sight) for a little over 17 years so I'm happy to share what I can. As others have posted, you are indeed going to find a cost of living - especially housing - that is on a different planet from Oklahoma and, for that matter, the rest of the U.S. We got lucky - we bought our house during the 2008 downturn but we were prepared for it...you could see it coming a mile away and had saved up our 20%. In any event, definitely look into renting if you want to stay in the Carmel/Monterey area since any house under $1M is not going to be that nice and/or in an area that is not that great...there are some dicey areas around the old Fort Ord area.

Also consider towns outside Carmel/Monterey if you're willing to drive 30-45 minutes to/from work: Salinas, Watsonville, Hollister, Aromas etc. All these places have their good/bad parts of town but what place doesn't? Before I get into TLDR territory I'll sign off now. Please feel free to PM me - I'm happy to share what I can. Tons of stuff to do out here for you and your family but the cost of living requires a little bit more planning than usual. Good luck!
    3 users like SFsoonersfan's post: Breadburner, nocalsooner, pphilfran

Originally Posted by SFsoonersfan View Post
    Rufus: I live in Hollister, which is about 35 minutes inland from Monterey. I've lived in Hollister for close to 10 years and go to Monterey fairly often for one reason or another. Been in the SF Bay Area (previously lived in San Jose, San Carlos, San Francisco and Mountain View before Google minions gobbled up everything in sight) for a little over 17 years so I'm happy to share what I can. As others have posted, you are indeed going to find a cost of living - especially housing - that is on a different planet from Oklahoma and, for that matter, the rest of the U.S. We got lucky - we bought our house during the 2008 downturn but we were prepared for it...you could see it coming a mile away and had saved up our 20%. In any event, definitely look into renting if you want to stay in the Carmel/Monterey area since any house under $1M is not going to be that nice and/or in an area that is not that great...there are some dicey areas around the old Fort Ord area.

Also consider towns outside Carmel/Monterey if you're willing to drive 30-45 minutes to/from work: Salinas, Watsonville, Hollister, Aromas etc. All these places have their good/bad parts of town but what place doesn't? Before I get into TLDR territory I'll sign off now. Please feel free to PM me - I'm happy to share what I can. Tons of stuff to do out here for you and your family but the cost of living requires a little bit more planning than usual. Good luck!

so what kind of people live in $800k houses....in not so great areas?
    The following users like this post: Maximus

The point is that it is just ridiculously expensive and I happen to know the area. Thanks.

Originally Posted by 87sooner View Post
    I would like to know this as well. So, people who can afford an $800k pad in a not so great area...what exactly does that demographic look like? All I know is that this whole situation sounds fubar.
    2 users like Maximus's post: 87sooner, Spade1000

Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
    I would like to know this as well. So, people who can afford an $800k pad in a not so great area...what exactly does that demographic look like? All I know is that this whole situation sounds fubar.
    https://www.zillow.com/homes/?search...ble%22:true%7D

You can find some affordable places in Hollister, but the prices rise exponentially depending on how nice of an area you pick. Mobile homes are starting at $175,000, that's definitely some sticker shock for an Okie.

Probably insecure dickheads like you....

You can find some affordable places in Hollister, but the prices rise exponentially depending on how nice of an area you pick. Mobile homes are starting at $175,000, that's definitely some sticker shock for an Okie.

you're missing the point....

Good news! California's minimum wage increases to $11/hour on Jan 1.

But seriously, California makes sense if either you make great money or you love your job. And of course, a combination of the two is nice. I live 80 miles inland, in the great San Joaquin Valley. My son attended UC Santa Cruz which is on the north side of Monterey Bay. I loved the many trips we made to the area the four years he was there. A day trip there or Napa or Tahoe or Yosemite or San Fran etc etc etc is a mini-vacation that re-energizes mind and body and probably souls for those who have one.

My Number One touristy recommendation on the central coast is the Hearst Castle, near Cambria. Mind-blowing how this one-percenter lived back in the day.
    2 users like nocalsooner's post: acheman8, brokebacksooner

I live in the Bay Area so like an hour away from where you're talking, but just FYI when you get to this area, we have OU Clubs in SF and a new one in Silicon Valley which is based in Mountain View. So for any of you OU transplants in the area, just know that we have people getting together for FB/BB games with designated bars/restaurants/winery's owned by OU alums.
    3 users like iMAX386's post: nocalsooner, Rufus T Firefly, Spade1000

I’m guessing hoards of salad pickers, packed in like sardines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The following users like this post: Spade1000

That one time we met up and had lunch at Don Cuco I think you were living in TO...? I'm sure even before you moved back you saw the building and development of that area along with Simi and even Camarillo. We own three different residences in three different counties and kicked around selling and custom building something but between what we own and what/where my in-laws own we may just hold onto them so our kids have somewhere to live. It's all wrapped up in a trust anyway.
    My beloved Ventura County is burning, and with winds expected to gust in the 80 mph range today, it will be worse.

Good luck to all you

Originally Posted by TheBoots View Post
    My beloved Ventura County is burning, and with winds expected to gust in the 80 mph range today, it will be worse.

Good luck to all you
    I just started a 5 week vacation on Sunday and less than 48 hours later, shit jumps off. I’m probably getting mandatory recalled today but that’s going to cost them.

I just started a 5 week vacation on Sunday and less than 48 hours later, shit jumps off. I’m probably getting mandatory recalled today but that’s going to cost them.
    Wait....Are you admitting to starting these fires to cash in on OT?

This one's a beaut, Clark. Nearly 600 sq ft AND already has the cement wall/fence. Only $345k.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...ct/8_zm/0_mmm/
    The following users like this post: Maximus

Originally Posted by Mjcpr View Post
    This one's a beaut, Clark. Nearly 600 sq ft AND already has the cement wall/fence. Only $345k.

It has that indoor plumbing you folks have heard so much about and has literally zero axles or tires.

It has that indoor plumbing you folks have heard so much about and has literally zero axles or tires.
    Then how do you get it out of the way of the fires when the state is burning down? Seems like poor planning.

Then how do you get it out of the way of the fires when the state is burning down? Seems like poor planning.
    Let it burn. Insurance rebuilds at twice the size. Sell for two-three times as much.

Let it burn. Insurance rebuilds at twice the size. Sell for two-three times as much.
    That doesn't sound like the water squirter mission statement to me. But, nearly 1,200 sq ft does sound spacious. I never really looked at natural disasters as a positive but maybe you're on to something.

that sparks an interesting question....
    on a million dollar house out there......the property is clearly worth more than the 1000 sq/ft 75 year old house sitting on it......
    do you only insure the cost to rebuild? ....probly no more than $150k-$200k?

The following users like this post: 87sooner

Originally Posted by nocalsooner View Post
    Good news! California's minimum wage increases to $11/hour on Jan 1.

But seriously, California makes sense if either you make great money or you love your job. And of course, a combination of the two is nice. I live 80 miles inland, in the great San Joaquin Valley. My son attended UC Santa Cruz which is on the north side of Monterey Bay. I loved the many trips we made to the area the four years he was there. A day trip there or Napa or Tahoe or Yosemite or San Fran etc etc etc is a mini-vacation that re-energizes mind and body and probably souls for those who have one.

My Number One touristy recommendation on the central coast is the Hearst Castle, near Cambria. Mind-blowing how this one-percenter lived back in the day.
    I'm over that way often. Mother-in-law lives just south of Fresno so I drive over Pacheco Pass to jump on 99 South. I bet you can see the Sierras on clear days.

Originally Posted by iMAX386 View Post
    I live in the Bay Area so like an hour away from where you're talking, but just FYI when you get to this area, we have OU Clubs in SF and a new one in Silicon Valley which is based in Mountain View. So for any of you OU transplants in the area, just know that we have people getting together for FB/BB games with designated bars/restaurants/winery's owned by OU alums.
    Just open to OU alums only? Lifelong OU fan but went to college out of state.

Originally Posted by iMAX386 View Post

This is a must! Thanks

Shouldn’t you be out there putting the wet stuff on the red stuff???

Originally Posted by acheman8 View Post
    Shouldn’t you be out there putting the wet stuff on the red stuff???

Let me answer that for him..

Every OU club is open to any Sooner Fan.
    The following users like this post: Bear_Jew

You have to show your OU student ID before we let you in.

Originally Posted by Rufus T Firefly View Post
    This is a must! Thanks
    If you guys want I can post the Facebook pages for the 2 groups here in the bay area. That's where the watch parties get posted.

Originally Posted by Rufus T Firefly View Post
    This is a must! Thanks
    But would you really want to join a club that would admit someone with your avatar?

Very east coast!

But would you really want to join a club that would admit someone with your avatar?

Very east coast!

I'm bi (coastal).

I laughed when the link to this house was posted. I actually know the owner - very young family with 2 kids - and she just got an offer yesterday and is now starting the closing process. I don't think she got $345K but probably not far from it ($330k-$345k). She bought about - I think - 5 years ago as a short sale and paid $80k!!! Now she's sold it for close to mid-$300K! That's a pretty good profit. She's going to roll that over to a bigger house for her family. Happy for her. I told her to repaint that god awful bedroom since a pink room is painful to look at but I guess it doesn't matter anymore. From $80k to over $300K in just around 5 years.
    The following users like this post: Mjcpr

Almost $600/sq. foot. Unbelievable.

Originally Posted by Five View Post
    Almost $600/sq. foot. Unbelievable.
    In some cases, it's actually the land that holds the value more than the structure.
    The following users like this post: Mixer!

I'm over that way often. Mother-in-law lives just south of Fresno so I drive over Pacheco Pass to jump on 99 South. I bet you can see the Sierras on clear days.
    I'm at the north end of the SJ valley. I can see Mount Diablo on a clear day.

I'm at the north end of the SJ valley. I can see Mount Diablo on a clear day.

Looks like you’re in the Delta area

In some cases, it's actually the land that holds the value more than the structure.
    Oh yeah I know. I lived in Monterey for a couple of years. If you can hear or smell the ocean, the value skyrockets. Oh and there aren't many places in Monterey proper that you can't hear or smell the ocean.