Georgia is OU’s best case scenario

Posted 9 day(s) ago 5709 Views 147 Replies
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Georgia is OU’s best case scenario

Freshman QB. Guess how many yards they average per game passing?

I already looked it up for you.

They are 99th in country averaging 170/game.

Uhhhhhhhhhhh. That’s worse than mediocre.

Prediction: it will not be difficult to make them one dimension. And they’ll take shots downfield, but Fromm won’t be able to make us pay. (Unless he Trevor Knights is, then it doesn’t matter anyway. We lose.)

Make them one dimensional and we win. Despite our tackling woes. Best case scenario for us was a team with one dimensional offense. Will hide our defensive questions.

We got this.
    3 users like OUMallen's post: BoomSoon2016, chris9996, eyeballjr

I'm Scuuuuured

(111th if you rank by yards per game)
    The following users like this post: HolaKyle

Originally Posted by Ohio sooner View Post
    I'm Scuuuuured
    Quit being a ****.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like everything else, it's going to come down to our defense.

If the defense shows up, we can annihilate anyone.
    3 users like CrimsonOberon's post: BoomSoon2016, RedRiverBaron, TahoeSooner

No worries. Mike will bust out the 2-9 15 yards off the LOS defenbse.

Originally Posted by CrimsonOberon View Post

How can we be sure? Has that ever happened?

Originally Posted by OUMallen View Post
    Freshman QB. Guess how many yards they average per game passing?
    Watching that game made me appreciate Baker even more. Their QB was not so good.
    The following users like this post: SA OSO

No question. Then Bama and Clemson will beat each other hope. We couldn't ask for more as far as the venue either.
    3 users like fmamk's post: Bear_Jew, BoomSoon2016, OUMallen

Originally Posted by CrimsonOberon View Post

Our defense never seems to struggle against SEC offenses. Not a coincidence.

Originally Posted by fmamk View Post
    No question. Then Bama and Clemson will beat each other hope. We couldn't ask for more as far as the venue either.
    If they beat each other and we beat Georgia, do we automatically win the title?
    The following users like this post: Good Grief

Originally Posted by tennsooner View Post
    How can we be sure? Has that ever happened?
    Our defense played good on Saturday. If not for two low probability TD passes by Kenny Hill our blowout of TCU looks even better

Would you rather face Kenny Hill or a true freshman in Fromm? Hill is not good but at least he has wheels.

Georgia's RB's are amongst the best unit in CFB. But a more single dimensional run attack is about as good of a draw as OU could get in a championship playoff.

I was most worried about Auburn and Stidham in the playoffs. Georgia obviously manhandled Auburn without Kerryon. After watching that game, I felt a lot more comfortable. Auburn's offense is pretty bad without Pettway and Kerryon. Stidham does not have the pocket skills, vision, moxie nor arm strength / accuracy of Baker.

If Georgia fans think they are going to replicate that performance against OU, they haven't watched us much this year. Guarantee they haven't seen anything like OU's offense.

Rodney and Sermon force lb's to respect the run, while Brown/Jones/Badet pose legit deep threat every down that lengthens the field and leaves a lot of open space to cover tight ends, full backs, running backs and quick slants.

Oh and we have one of the best offensive lines in the country led by Heisman winning quarterback who is one of the most efficient qb's to ever play the game completing nearly 3 out of every 4 throws he makes. That's an amazing stat.

If we come out in rhythm, Georgia's D will be dizzy by the end of the first quarter
    5 users like smusooner's post: Adonijah_Aijalon, BoomSoon2016, CrimsonOberon, OUMallen, TheRooster

Who is their backup thats the concern. Our D needs to be careful and not knock the starter out too early.

8-9 in the box. Do it Mike. DO IT.
    4 users like SportyJames's post: ClosetSoonerFan, HolaKyle, Sooner 1234, Soonertodd

I say we load the box ,single coverage with our corners and get into a shootout .

I want their qb throwing it 45-50 times .

They’ve got a three-man rotation at RB that will be tough to keep up with and what will be most important is our offense not coming out sputtering after a few weeks off. UGA is a ball control offense and has a playmaking defense. If we come out firing and moving the chains effectively I like our chances.

Originally Posted by SportyJames View Post
    8-9 in the box. Do it Mike. DO IT.
    Co-sign. Make Fromm beat us with his arm. If they can do that, they deserve it.
    3 users like OUMallen's post: Doctor X, HolaKyle, SportyJames

Originally Posted by SoonerVikeThunder View Post
    Who is their backup thats the concern. Our D needs to be careful and not knock the starter out too early.
    Like against Auburn last year? We will be fine if we can get to Fromm.
    The following users like this post: SoonerVikeThunder

On ESPN you hear them talking about how UGA has a stable of RBs. LOL, so do we, and our QB can complete a forward pass consistently. Congrats UGA on winning he SEC for the first time in 12 years, but this is as far as you go. Sorry.
    6 users like SportyJames's post: BoomSoon2016, CrimsonOberon, Section31, TahoeSooner, TheRooster, VarsityO28

Originally Posted by Tx Sooner View Post
    Our defense never seems to struggle against SEC offenses. Not a coincidence.
    Bama pretty much shredded us...we were fortunate they kept throwing the ball. On the other hand, their NFL defense had a hard time keeping up.
    2 users like Section31's post: Hammer2Bones, SoonerNow

Hopefully Mike doesn't try to experiment with a two man front against this run heavy team.
    2 users like FtwTxSooner's post: Eclipse, HolaKyle

I love the fact that if we win, Clemson or Bama only has a week to prepare, too. Both of those teams have mediocre quarterbacks as well.

I like our chances here. The matchups really couldn't be better.
    6 users like IndySooner's post: BoomSoon2016, ChSooner, Greek Sooner, HolaKyle, ScottsdaleSooner, tcrb

Originally Posted by Section31 View Post
    Bama pretty much shredded us...we were fortunate they kept throwing the ball. On the other hand, their NFL defense had a hard time keeping up.
    Well, I wouldn't say they shredded us. Lots of yards and points, but that was the tradeoff we accepted for blitzing every down. The other side of that story is OU sacked McCarron 7 times, the most he was sacked in a game in his entire career. Defense was a huge factor in winning that game with all the tackles for loss and forcing turnovers.

K State and WVU without Grier were bad at passing too. It didn't really help the D much. Hopefully they turned a corner and Kenneth Murray learns about gap assignment in the next month.
    2 users like nomad's post: HolaKyle, SA OSO

Originally Posted by OUMallen View Post
    Co-sign. Make Fromm beat us with his arm. If they can do that, they deserve it.
    Fromm's best throws are on 10-15 yard out routes to the sideline.

I'm sure the UGA offensive coaches have intentionally built that part of his game as they are lower risk throws.

Those out routes take time to develop. If Obo can just be disruptive it will significantly compromise the true Fresh QB. And I'm not convinced Georgias current receiving corp is capable of doing anything we haven't seen a 1000x in the Big 12
    2 users like smusooner's post: BoomSoon2016, OUMallen

Originally Posted by smusooner View Post
    Fromm's best throws are on 10-15 yard out routes to the sideline.

I'm sure the UGA offensive coaches have intentionally built that part of his game as they are lower risk throws.

Those out routes take time to develop. If Obo can just be disruptive it will significantly compromise the true Fresh QB. And I'm not convinced Georgias current receiving corp is capable of doing anything we haven't seen a 1000x in the Big 12
    I have noticed a difference in how Stoops calls defense towards the end of the season and post season. He does seem to call more blitzes and are more aggressive with their front than they seem to be earlier in seasons. I don't know the reason for this, but it seems to be the case. I'm pretty sure OU's defense will be very aggressive with run blitzes and pass rush against Georgia. Take the running game away and Georgia is anemic on offense. We could give up some big plays being aggressive, but I don't think Georgia can beat OU with big passing plays. Goal is simple. Take the running game away.
    2 users like Tx Sooner's post: smusooner, tcrb

You think GA has an RB on the level of Derrick Henry?
    Cuz Yeldon couldn't do shit to our front.
    The following users like this post: ChSooner

Well, I wouldn't say they shredded us. Lots of yards and points, but that was the tradeoff we accepted for blitzing every down. The other side of that story is OU sacked McCarron 7 times, the most he was sacked in a game in his entire career. Defense was a huge factor in winning that game with all the tackles for loss and forcing turnovers.
    I watched the game. Their RBs looked bigger and stronger than our DL in that game. Anyway, it was a total team effort that year. We didn’t have athletes on defense that year. We have athletes on defense this year, they just have to play well AND TACKLE.

Originally Posted by 85Haymaker View Post
    Maybe. They are pretty well thought of.

Why is this game being compared to a game that will have happened four years ago when it's played against an entirely different team both by name and by athletes on the field? (that's not a dig against you, I just quoted you because yours was the last post on the subject).
    The following users like this post: smusooner

Originally Posted by 85Haymaker View Post
    Their RBs are really good. Very few are on Derrick Henry's level but that OLine Bama put out there was top nothc. Huge holes vs OU's undersized DLine. Saban wanted to send AJ out with a bang and it backfired.
    The following users like this post: Section31

They are good RB's, but nothing different than other great RB's OU faces. Auburn's RB's Pettway and Kerryon Johnson were supposed to be great last year. Pettway did ok, but nothing spectacular against the OU front. Johnson did nothing. JK Dobbins went for 181 against Indiana and considered the next great thing then rushed for just 72 yards against OU.

Bottom line is that OU almost never gets beat by getting dominated by a great rushing attack. QB draws and tricky things like that give us problems. Passers capable of big stats in the passing game can give OU problems. There's very little chance that OU gets dominated by a power running game, I just haven't seen that happen.
    6 users like Tx Sooner's post: ClosetSoonerFan, CrimsonOberon, HolaKyle, smusooner, Spade1000, TheRooster

Its astonishing to me that so many SEC fans never even watch Oklahoma or any other Big 12 teams during the regular season. Those people live in a co****.

Been reading comments from Georgia fans, such as:

"That OU coach looks like a 5th year senior QB and not a head coach." (dude's first time to even see Riley was yesterday on ESPN)
    "Their coach is young, but I like him better than that Stoops douche" (probably never heard of Riley until yesterday)
    "OU hasn't seen a defense all year."
    "OU hasn't seen a defense in 3 years." (what about TCUx2 and Auburn, Ohio State?)

those people need to come up out of their collards and take in something other than SEC football. then you have the typical FANLOVE posts, where fans of Mizzou (vomit), A&M (double vomit) offering support for their dream teams, Alabama and Georgia.
    3 users like Bustarime's post: ChocoLab, Section31, TheRooster

Originally Posted by RockFlagandEagle View Post
    Their RBs are really good. Very few are on Derrick Henry's level but that OLine Bama put out there was top nothc. Huge holes vs OU's undersized DLine. Saban wanted to send AJ out with a bang and it backfired.
    Yeldon was really good... And it took a Derrick Henry level RB to get Bama back in it. If our D can get one stop in q1, it's gonna be a miserable day for GA.

Originally Posted by Bustarime View Post
    Its astonishing to me that so many SEC fans never even watch Oklahoma or any other Big 12 teams during the regular season. Those people live in a co****.

Been reading comments from Georgia fans, such as:

"That OU coach looks like a 5th year senior QB and not a head coach." (dude's first time to even see Riley was yesterday on ESPN)
    "Their coach is young, but I like him better than that Stoops douche" (probably never heard of Riley until yesterday)
    "OU hasn't seen a defense all year."
    "OU hasn't seen a defense in 3 years." (what about TCUx2 and Auburn, Ohio State?)

those people need to come up out of their collards and take in something other than SEC football. then you have the typical FANLOVE posts, where fans of Mizzou (vomit), A&M (double vomit) offering support for their dream teams, Alabama and Georgia.
    Same old story that all SEC fans say before games. What else are they going to say? They should look into Kirby's Smart's bloodshot eyes in press conferences after pulling all nighters to try and figure out any way to stop the OU offense, and then come back and tell us about this "SEC Defense" thing.
    The following users like this post: Bustarime

They are good RB's, but nothing different than other great RB's OU faces. Auburn's RB's Pettway and Kerryon Johnson were supposed to be great last year. Pettway did ok, but nothing spectacular against the OU front. Johnson did nothing. JK Dobbins went for 181 against Indiana and considered the next great thing then rushed for just 72 yards against OU.

Bottom line is that OU almost never gets beat by getting dominated by a great rushing attack. QB draws and tricky things like that give us problems. Passers capable of big stats in the passing game can give OU problems. There's very little chance that OU gets dominated by a power running game, I just haven't seen that happen.
    Auburn's offense sucked last year. Terrible. Several other teams that held them to minimal offensive gain.

Dobbins got a whopping 13 carries against OU this year for 5.5 yards per carry v OU's rb's getting twice as many carries for 3.3 yards per carry.

If you take away the option teams and g5 schools, Georgia has the 6th ranked rushing attack in the nation.

Just as Georgia hasn't seen a total offense like OU, OU hasn't played against any teams that utilize the rushing attack like Georgia does (and yes, tOSU has the 15th ranked rushing attack but most of their carries came from J.T. that game, not a stable of rb's).

I don't say this to say that OU is doomed but the comparison is not good at all. OU hasn't seen a running attack like Georgia's all year. It will be fun to see how it works out.
    The following users like this post: blackfrancois

It's a convo about how Mike will ploy the defense against an sec offense rather than how he schemes the b12...mind you it would be better to compare to the Auburn game last year which coincidentally included the sec leading rusher whom Mike's D shut down and includes some of the same guys on our D
    Originally Posted by OKIRISHFAN View Post
    Why is this game being compared to a game that will have happened four years ago when it's played against an entirely different team both by name and by athletes on the field? (that's not a dig against you, I just quoted you because yours was the last post on the subject).

Originally Posted by OKIRISHFAN View Post
    Dig at ME? You're being even dumber than usual. I was replying to people comparing the games. Good grief...you quoted me because you're an idiot

Yep I thought if they would have ran more it might be a different game but with us getting a big lead at half I felt more confident that we would put them in passing situations and allow Striker to do his thing

Dig at ME? You're being even dumber than usual. I was replying to people comparing the games. Good grief...you quoted me because you're an idiot
    Hence the reason I said I wasn't taking a shot at your post, just quoting it because it was the last post about a four year old gamethat was being discussed. I didn't say you were the origin of the conversation.

Who peed in your post toasties this morning.?

Georgia didn't score until the 2nd quarter of the SEC Champ game. If they play like that, I think we are up early and big. Their defense looks really good, but we have so many weapons, and I don't think and team in the SEC calls offense like Lincoln does.

It's a great scenario because it's a cool match-up of 2 programs that have never played for some reason. And it's the playoffs. And it's the Rose Bowl.

As far as the match-up, who knows. No common opponent or even style, both head coaches relatively new, so no telling how it will go. We'll want a shoot-out and they'll want a deliberate game and limit possessions. We'll see who gets their way.
    6 users like Velo Sooner's post: Bear_Jew, blackfrancois, BoomSoon2016, JSandlin, OKIRISHFAN, svsooner

If we hadn't blitzed, they'd have killed us even worse. That was basically the best our defense could have played, and they still gave it up in chunks, so I think the "shredded" description is apropos. The turnovers (not all of them forced, mind you; McCarron's first INT was a head-scratcher) were certainly the key. I don't mean to dog our defense that game, because they definitely came up with critical plays, but so many things fell in our favor that game. It was special in its own right. (Not "Miracle on Ice" special, but the same general idea.)
    2 users like ouwxgrad's post: Good Grief, Section31

Originally Posted by JKSooner View Post
    Georgia didn't score until the 2nd quarter of the SEC Champ game. If they play like that, I think we are up early and big. Their defense looks really good, but we have so many weapons, and I don't think and team in the SEC calls offense like Lincoln does.
    The part our critics miss is, we're NOT a traditional spread team. Anderson is a legit power back with speed. Sermon is a bruiser and Mark Andrews is a traditional TE. Throw in a bruising FB in Flowers and we're anything but an air raid offense.

I personally think the defense struggled a bit this year because they are built to compete in the CFP and just survive the Big 12 schedule.. Maybe not.
    4 users like Section31's post: Adonijah_Aijalon, BoomSoon2016, CrimsonOberon, ThreeHatBilly

As far as us being able to make Georgia one-dimensional, yes, I think we have a great chance to do that, but it's not like that, by itself, will guarantee a win. K-State was one-dimensional as heck and ripped us up anyway, and Georgia's ground game is better than theirs by a good bit.

Originally Posted by ouwxgrad View Post
    As far as us being able to make Georgia one-dimensional, yes, I think we have a great chance to do that, but it's not like that, by itself, will guarantee a win. K-State was one-dimensional as heck and ripped us up anyway, and Georgia's ground game is better than theirs by a good bit.
    Ya...tho our DBs typically get ripped on, our front 7 hasn't been challenged like they will in the Rose. UGA is an offense that can neutralize OU's offense by getting 4-5 yards a play.
    2 users like RockFlagandEagle's post: OKIRISHFAN, ouwxgrad

I think a couple of Georgia players got in trouble after the game; the hell with "we want to play their best" blah blah blah ... suspend these fools.

Ya...tho our DBs typically get ripped on, our front 7 hasn't been challenged like they will in the Rose. UGA is an offense that can neutralize OU's offense by getting 4-5 yards a play.
    Could be. We'll see which OU D-line shows up; the talent has flashed here and there, and they've got a month to put it all together. (TBH, I'd prefer making Georgia one-dimensional through the air. Fromm doesn't worry me. That running game does, a bit.)

That's what makes this game so intriguing to me. I've seen too many times when a good rushing attack and good defense can neutralize a good offense.

On the other side, I'm looking forward to seeing this offense go up against a fast defense. I'm a fan of how Riley spreads the ball around, especially getting rb's involved in the passing game. Looking forward to seeing if he can out scheme that defense. Wouldn't be shocked if he does.

I think it's the best matchup and probably will be the most entertaining game of all the bowls.