2018 pre-signing day two deep

This is something that's always fun to discuss in the month leading up to the bowl game especially this year considering all the enthusiasm around the program. We've just won our third consecutive conference title, we're headed for the playoff, our QB is going to win the Heisman Trophy, and we're on the verge of our second consecutive top 10 recruiting class.

Obviously, early entries, transfers (in and out), felonies, grade casualties, and incoming recruits will change all this, but what else do we have to talk about for a month? I assume Zeus and Andrews will be the only early entries and the rest of the juniors will come back.

*denotes returning starter

QB - Kyler Murray, Austin Kendall
    RB - Rodney Anderson*, Trey Sermon, Abdul Adams
    FB - Jeremiah Hall, Carson Meier

LT - Bobby Evans*, Brey Walker
    LG - Ben Powers*, Cody Ford
    C - Creed Humphrey, Jonathan Alvarez
    RG - Dru Samia*, Logan Roberson or Tyrese Robinson
    RT - ??? (Quinn Mittermeier or Erik Swenson or Adrian Ealy)

X - CeeDee Lamb*, ??? (maybe one of the new recruits like Kundarrius Taylor could break into the two deep here)
    H - Mykel Jones, Charleston Rambo
    Y - Grant Calcaterra, Lee Morris
    Z - Hollywood Brown*, Nick Basquine

DE - Kenneth Mann, Isaiah Thomas
    DT - Amani Bledsoe *, Neville Gallimore
    NG - Marquise Overton*, Du'Vonta Lampkin, Dillon Faamatau
    Jack - Mark Jackson, Addison Gumbs

SLB - Caleb Kelly*, Curtis Bolton
    MLB - Kenneth Murray*, Jon-Michael Terry
    WLB - Levi Draper, ???

CB - Tre Norwood*, Tre Brown
    SS - Chanse Sylvie, Prentice McKinney
    FS - Robert Barnes, Kahlil Hauhgton
    CB - Parnell Motley*, Justin Broiles or Jordan Parker

K/P/KO - Austin Seibert
    PR - CeeDee Lamb*
    KR - Marcelius Sutton, Hollywood Brown

By my count, that's six starters back on each side of the ball for a total of 12. However, it's worth noting that several guys that I've listed as new starters have already played a bunch. On offense, as good as Kyler Murray has the potential to be, the drop off at QB is going to be massive. Perhaps it won't be as pronounced as it was when we went from Heupel to Hybl or White to Thompson/Bomar, but it will be noticeable. It's absurd to expect otherwise. Still, it's nice to have an heir apparent at QB and avoid a stupid controversy in the spring leading into the fall. As for the kind of offense we run, Riley has said repeatedly that the Air Raid will never feature a run first QB. That's fine, but I think it would be a mistake to not utilize Murray's skills and incorporate more QB run game into the offense. It will be paramount to stay ahead of the chains and be more of a ball control offense next year. We're stacked as usual at RB. The new FB will have huge shoes to fill. On the OL, I think it makes sense to move Evans over to LT to replace Zeus. Of course, that leaves a big void at RT. The guards are unchanged which is nice, but Erick Wren will be missed at center. Not much to say about the WR position. Somehow, we always seem to be fine regardless of who we lose. I don't think Calcaterra will be as good as Andrews, but we should be really good as a unit.

On defense, we lose both our best pass rushers. Obo gets all the attention, but have you noticed how well DJ Ward has been playing of late? Still, I've liked what I've seen so far from Mark Jackson and Kenneth Mann. Both have made plays when given the chance. For once, depth isn't a concern on the interior DL. We have talent at LB, but we're tissue paper thin. Guys like Bolton and Draper are listed in my two deep, but both are coming off season ending injuries. Who knows how good they'll be? To make matters worse, we only have one LB in the incoming class. I assume that's something the defensive coaches will try to address between now and signing day. We should be pretty good at corner next year. We'll see what we get from the safeties. It always seems to be hit or miss.

Sorry for the super long winded and premature post. Would love to hear everyone's thoughts.

Would like to hear more and have these 2 deeps more frequently in the off season.

Helps me remember.
    The following users like this post: Ruf Nek

I think TFB said Murray was moving to WLB and there's going to be an open spot at MLB (that's IIRC though).
    3 users like Silentsniper1516's post: Bear_Jew, CrimsonOberon, thatsoonerfan89

Good list but that QB spot is not settled. We haven't seen nearly enough of either Murray or Kendall in real game situations to know who's gonna win that. I'll give you Murray has looked good in limited minutes as a red shirt sophomore but remember Kendall looked pretty good as a true freshman. One would assume he's better today than he was a year ago thrown into action. We may have a QB controversy.
    The following users like this post: Ruf Nek

One of the things I’ve been most pleased with is Riley working the younger guys this year. In August it looked like 2017 was probably his only shot for a few years but that’s a pretty good group of young guys with quality experience to work with considering every year there’s some new guys who will step up either out of redshirt, just normal development and next man up or surprise true freshman starters/contributors.

Look around the BIG 12... we’re in as good of shape as anybody for a “rebuilding year.” I still cringe at the thought of Mike returning, though. He clearly can’t get a defense to play well until game 9 or so each year. A few miracle drives this year saved Mike’s ass from us playing in the WhoGiveAShit.com Bowl this year. Hoping for the best this post-season to get that boost great bowl performances tend to give us in recruiting.
    5 users like 49cent's post: ATLantaSooner79, BoomSoon2016, soonerbms, SoonerNow, Spade1000

Originally Posted by Silentsniper1516 View Post
    I think TFB said Murray was moving to WLB and there's going to be an open spot at MLB (that's IIRC though).
    I assume JMT would play in the middle if Murray moved into Beal's spot. We really haven't seen enough of Terry to know if he's a good player or not.

Originally Posted by cyberthoth View Post
    Good list but that QB spot is not settled. We haven't seen nearly enough of either Murray or Kendall in real game situations to know who's gonna win that. I'll give you Murray has looked good in limited minutes as a red shirt sophomore but remember Kendall looked pretty good as a true freshman. One would assume he's better today than he was a year ago thrown into action. We may have a QB controversy.
    Come on, dude. Kyler Murray and Austin Kendall aren't even comparable. There's no race at the QB position.
    6 users like soonerbms's post: ab5sr, Bear_Jew, BoomSoon2016, jccouger, OU812, tennsooner

Originally Posted by soonerbms View Post
    Come on, dude. Kyler Murray and Austin Kendall aren't even comparable. There's no race at the QB position.
    Why you gotta bring race into it?

I haven't seen anything this season to make me think Jordan Parker is out of a job. Motley showed flashes but also looked really bad at least once a game, more than that against decent passers.
    2 users like AppalachianSooner's post: chewyhux, Mongo

Kyler Murray's moving to linebacker?

Shit....STAY FOCUSED!!!
    The following users like this post: SportyJames

All Mann does it make plays. Every time he gets out there. Love this kid.

Murray is the starting QB, no question. Dude was a top 10, 5 star recruit at QB. He came in and as a true freshmen took the job from the entrenched starter, another 5 star recruit and damn good player. He came here and won the backup job this offseason, and lit it up to an absurd degree in his limited playing time. He is so good that we took Baker off the field at times to let him do things (admittedly, I think this was idiotic, but it shows you how high the coaches think of him).

On the o-line, I wouldn't be suprised to see Samia slide back over to RT, and we can the start Powers and Ford, with Tramonda Moore as the primary backup at the guard spot.

Originally Posted by sperry View Post

On the o-line, I wouldn't be suprised to see Samia slide back over to RT, and we can the start Powers and Ford, with Tramonda Moore as the primary backup at the guard spot.
    I thought about that as well, but Samia is so good at guard. I'd hate to lose his services on the inside. Plus, what's the point of recruiting all these 4* tackles if we can't use any of them?

This is something that's always fun to discuss in the month leading up to the bowl game especially this year considering all the enthusiasm around the program. We've just won our third consecutive conference title, we're headed for the playoff, our QB is going to win the Heisman Trophy, and we're on the verge of our second consecutive top 10 recruiting class.

Obviously, early entries, transfers (in and out), felonies, grade casualties, and incoming recruits will change all this, but what else do we have to talk about for a month? I assume Zeus and Andrews will be the only early entries and the rest of the juniors will come back.

*denotes returning starter

RT - ??? (Quinn Mittermeier or Erik Swenson or Adrian Ealy)

X - CeeDee Lamb*, ??? (maybe one of the new recruits like Kundarrius Taylor could break into the two deep here)
    H - Mykel Jones, Charleston Rambo
    Z - Hollywood Brown*, Nick Basquine

DE - Kenneth Mann, Isaiah Thomas
    DT - Amani Bledsoe *, Neville Gallimore
    Jack - Mark Jackson, Addison Gumbs

SLB - Caleb Kelly*, Curtis Bolton
    MLB - Kenneth Murray*, Jon-Michael Terry
    WLB - Levi Draper, ???

SS - Chanse Sylvie, Prentice McKinney
    FS - Robert Barnes, Kahlil Hauhgton

K/P/KO - Austin Seibert
    PR - CeeDee Lamb*

By my count, that's six starters back on each side of the ball for a total of 12. However, it's worth noting that several guys that I've listed as new starters have already played a bunch. On offense, as good as Kyler Murray has the potential to be, the drop off at QB is going to be massive. Perhaps it won't be as pronounced as it was when we went from Heupel to Hybl or White to Thompson/Bomar, but it will be noticeable. It's absurd to expect otherwise. Still, it's nice to have an heir apparent at QB and avoid a stupid controversy in the spring leading into the fall. As for the kind of offense we run, Riley has said repeatedly that the Air Raid will never feature a run first QB. That's fine, but I think it would be a mistake to not utilize Murray's skills and incorporate more QB run game into the offense. It will be paramount to stay ahead of the chains and be more of a ball control offense next year. We're stacked as usual at RB. The new FB will have huge shoes to fill. On the OL, I think it makes sense to move Evans over to LT to replace Zeus. Of course, that leaves a big void at RT. The guards are unchanged which is nice, but Erick Wren will be missed at center. Not much to say about the WR position. Somehow, we always seem to be fine regardless of who we lose. I don't think Calcaterra will be as good as Andrews, but we should be really good as a unit.

On defense, we lose both our best pass rushers. Obo gets all the attention, but have you noticed how well DJ Ward has been playing of late? Still, I've liked what I've seen so far from Mark Jackson and Kenneth Mann. Both have made plays when given the chance. For once, depth isn't a concern on the interior DL. We have talent at LB, but we're tissue paper thin. Guys like Bolton and Draper are listed in my two deep, but both are coming off season ending injuries. Who knows how good they'll be? To make matters worse, we only have one LB in the incoming class. I assume that's something the defensive coaches will try to address between now and signing day. We should be pretty good at corner next year. We'll see what we get from the safeties. It always seems to be hit or miss.

Sorry for the super long winded and premature post. Would love to hear everyone's thoughts.
    Maybe it's scheme, but I feel like our LB play is terrible and would love to see some more instinctive, better-tackling players get shots. Murray seems like a particularly bad fit at Mike, but maybe that's just his youth.

One thing to keep an eye on is the amount of time Murray may miss in the spring due to Baseball. I wonder if he can really keep doing both if he’s expecting to be the starting QB.

Anyone have an idea who the best two sport player in OU history might be? Where football is one of the sports.
    The following users like this post: Mongo

Baker Mayfield--Football and .....doesn't matter

But on a serious note my guess would be Mickey Hatcher in football and baseball

Nm
    Last edited by Adonijah_Aijalon; December 4th, 2017 at 04:35 PM.

Originally Posted by MaximusAurelius View Post
    One thing to keep an eye on is the amount of time Murray may miss in the spring due to Baseball. I wonder if he can really keep doing both if he’s expecting to be the starting QB.

Anyone have an idea who the best two sport player in OU history might be? Where football is one of the sports.
    Does he plan to play baseball this spring? If he thinks his future is in football rather than baseball, this might be the right time to quit baseball and focus on spring practice.

Originally Posted by MI Sooner View Post
    Maybe it's scheme, but I feel like our LB play is terrible and would love to see some more instinctive, better-tackling players get shots. Murray seems like a particularly bad fit at Mike, but maybe that's just his youth.
    We’ve got so,e cats that were big gets for us a few years ago. De berry was one. There was another in that class that was a 4* too, iirc. Not sure why have texsa level development In that area.

lots of things may change between now and then..

I think we see Samia go back to RT.(If Brown leaves) Ford at LG, Powers at RG. Creed will be the starting center and our line will be salty once again!
    The following users like this post: morrisja20

RT - Adrian Ealy (Quinn Mittermeier or Erik Swenson)

X - CeeDee Lamb*, Charleston Rambo, K Taylor
    H - Nick Basquine (if healthy), Mykel Jones,
    Z - Hollywood Brown*, Crawford

DE - Kenneth Mann, Isaiah Thomas, R Tatum
    DT - Amani Bledsoe * OR Neville Gallimore
    Jack - Mark Jackson, Addison Gumbs or Daley

SLB - Caleb Kelly*, M Jackson Jr
    MLB - Kenneth Murray*, Jon-Michael Terry,
    WLB - C Bolton, Draper

SS - Kahlil Hauhgton, Chanse Sylvie
    FS - Robert Barnes, Ryan Jones

K/P/KO - Austin Seibert
    PR - CeeDee Lamb*

Notes:
    #1: I'd like to see what CK could do at Will LB.
    #2: I think that Prentice McKinney wont be with OU next fall..probably will transfer. We're going to be meh at the safety spot. Barnes should be good, but will still be young. Haughton and Sylvie are OK but not great, maybe not even good. If we get the kid from Ole Miss that should help, or if Proctor comes to the light side I could see him starting Day 1.
    #3: We are young and thin at WR, better hope we dont get any injuries. Our starters (Lamb, Brown, Calc, Jones/Basquine) will be really good, but we dont have much experience at all behind them. I'm guessing that we will see Crawford and Taylor get at least some playing time. Really wish we could have held Reagor.
    #4: OL should be really good again, provided that Evans can slide into the LT spot easily. Not sure how difficult the side to side transition is.
    The following users like this post: jaxonya

No, it'll be Kyler unless he gets hurt or arrested.
    The following users like this post: Bear_Jew

Will be hard NOT to play Addison Gumbs. Dude has gotten a ton of hype from the coaching staff for his pass rushing
    2 users like SOONER508.'s post: AcousticSoup, CrimsonOberon

Riley chose a walk-on over a 4 star starter before. I don't think recruiting stars matter as much to him as they do to you.

Murray did not win the back up job here. Kendall did not redshirt last year because of QB transfers so it only makes logical sense for him to redshirt this year. Murray may win next Spring but I think we as fans are doing Kendall a HUGE diservice ignoring the possibility he might win the job.

He played about as well as a true freshman as one could expect.

Originally Posted by sperry View Post
    Murray is the starting QB, no question. Dude was a top 10, 5 star recruit at QB. He came in and as a true freshmen took the job from the entrenched starter, another 5 star recruit and damn good player. He came here and won the backup job this offseason, and lit it up to an absurd degree in his limited playing time. He is so good that we took Baker off the field at times to let him do things (admittedly, I think this was idiotic, but it shows you how high the coaches think of him).

Originally Posted by SOONER508. View Post
    Will be hard NOT to play Addison Gumbs. Dude has gotten a ton of hype from the coaching staff for his pass rushing
    Yeah, looking forward to him getting more opportunities to play. It'll be hard to play him ahead of Jackson though.

I don’t think we will have a massive drop off at QB at all. I honestly think Kyler is going to bring a different spin to this offense. It’s going to be more potent and high scoring. Kyler and Baker are two different animals. But both are elite. Just in different ways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The following users like this post: Breadburner

Originally Posted by AcousticSoup View Post
    I don’t think we will have a massive drop off at QB at all. I honestly think Kyler is going to bring a different spin to this offense. It’s going to be more potent and high scoring. Kyler and Baker are two different animals. But both are elite. Just in different ways.

So Baker Mayfield's the only thing holding us back from being a more potent and higher scoring offense?
    2 users like soonerbms's post: ab5sr, SixBean

I bet Gumbs wins that job at Jack. Dude is an absolute freak. Development in the S&C program and offseason work and he’s going to blow up.

The following users like this post: Adonijah_Aijalon

So Baker Mayfield's the only thing holding us back from being a more potent and higher scoring offense?
    Baker is one of the best game managers I’ve ever seen. It’s unfair to expect the same from Kyler. Kyler’s one of those rare athletes. You don’t score 78 touchdowns as a senior on accident.

2 users like AcousticSoup's post: Breadburner, CrimsonOberon

Riley chose a walk-on over a 4 star starter before. I don't think recruiting stars matter as much to him as they do to you.

Murray did not win the back up job here. Kendall did not redshirt last year because of QB transfers so it only makes logical sense for him to redshirt this year. Murray may win next Spring but I think we as fans are doing Kendall a HUGE diservice ignoring the possibility he might win the job.

He played about as well as a true freshman as one could expect.
    LOL. So you think in a season where we are gunning for a national championship, Lincoln didn't have a competition for the backup quarterback spot? He just gave it to Kyler so he could redhsirt Kendall?

-Meier over Hall
    -Parker over Norwood
    -I think Brey starts at RT
    -I don't think we will use a TE much next year. I think a lot of those snaps go to Sermon/Meier.
    -You guys are slotting Humphrey in at C but he and Alvarez are going to battle for that spot I expect it to be by far the biggest position battle of the offseason
    -Why not Bledsoe at DE rotating with Mann? The 4 man DT rotation seems set and we add Lott.

Man we have a lot of D lineman coming back.

Sent from my REVVLPLUS C3701A using Tapatalk

No chance Andrews returns?

Originally Posted by Adonijah_Aijalon View Post
    Not unless he just LOVES school or has some other non-football reason to return. Nothing more to prove at this level.

I assume JMT would play in the middle if Murray moved into Beal's spot. We really haven't seen enough of Terry to know if he's a good player or not.

Terry seems to have a nose for the football. He is around the ball a bunch. I think he is going to be a good one!

Is Fartrell Cluggins expected to make the 2 deep rotation?
    The following users like this post: p23570

I don't think it's either/or. You can be better from year to year without it being a reflection on the previous year's players. Just look at the receiving corp. We lost a **** Biletnikoff receiver last year. Who would have ever believed the passing attack would get BETTER? The offense can be better next year without denigrating Mayfield, just like the receiving corp being better this year doesn't reflect on DeDe, at all.

Different teams, different results.
    The following users like this post: ResidentEvil

Originally Posted by jaxonya View Post
    Is Fartrell Cluggins expected to make the 2 deep rotation?
    Only if Jammie Jammie-Jammie gets banged up.

We've had good fortune in getting quality 5th year senior transfer wide receivers from other programs the last two years. I would think that would get attention from others next year, even though I realize you can't plan your recruiting around it. Has any interest been expressed, or are there any potential candidates out there? Might be way too early to know.

The only other big offensive hole to fill is fullback, as OP expressed. Do high schools even try to supply this position anymore?

Originally Posted by 5thWave View Post
    We've had good fortune in getting quality 5th year senior transfer wide receivers from other programs the last two years. I would think that would get attention from others next year, even though I realize you can't plan your recruiting around it. Has any interest been expressed, or are there any potential candidates out there? Might be way too early to know.

The only other big offensive hole to fill is fullback, as OP expressed. Do high schools even try to supply this position anymore?
    Center, left tackle imo are significant losses. TE...

Originally Posted by Adonijah_Aijalon View Post

Why would he? He's going to be the first TE off the board. He can't improve on that by coming back for another year. Remember the last stud OU TE who came back for his senior season? He suffered a season ending injury in practice. In the long run, it didn't end up costing him, but I doubt he'd advise Andrews to come back for his final season.
    The following users like this post: Adonijah_Aijalon

Originally Posted by ab5sr View Post
    Center, left tackle imo are significant losses. TE...
    Moving Evans over to LT will help soften the blow of Zeus' departure. Finding another RT is going to be the real challenge.
    The following users like this post: ab5sr