Going forward without Rodney Anderson

Posted 8 day(s) ago 5490 Views 126 Replies
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Going forward without Rodney Anderson

Respect to the girl and her family, and whatever may or may not have happened in this bad situation. But either way there is a game to play and guilty or innocent, RA will 99.99% likely not be available .

So What do we do from a football standpoint? RA is by far the best pass blocking RB we have. Abdul just isn't physically built for it, and Sermon still misses assignments. Going up against Georgia type of players this element will be crucial.

RA is prob also the best pass catcher out of the back field and just has the best rb instincts after being in the system for so long.

For those of you saying this isn't a big deal, go back and revisit. We don't beat OSU, KSU without Anderson.

Riley has time I guess, but damn what a big blow
    3 users like Jasooner's post: ChocoLab, RedRiverBaron, soonerschooner

If by chance Oklahoma loses to Georgia, it will not be because Rodney Anderson was no longer with the team.

I'm just glad we have Flowers. I see him taking on a bigger role.

Are you seeious? Has it reached this point? Is this happening? Is this real life?
    2 users like BraveSooner's post: land burglar73507, MarkStoops

Trey sermon is more than capable.- He's also from Marietta, Georgia. He probably played with a few of those guys on the other side and I guarantee you he will be fired up for this

Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    If by chance Oklahoma loses to Georgia, it will not be because Rodney Anderson was no longer with the team.
    That's a pretty big statement considering he's been a cornerstone piece of the run game and the PA pass.

But hey, if that's what u think...

Sermon, Sermon, Sermon. Adams to spell him some carries.
    The following users like this post: qaz

We gotta hope Abdul can hold onto the damn ball and runs angry. We simply won't be a able to replace rodneys strength in between the tackles. His explosiveness will be missed in short yards to go
    2 users like Tough Guy's post: GeorgiaFlyer, Ruf Nek

Originally Posted by Jasooner View Post
    That's a pretty big statement considering he's been a cornerstone piece of the run game and the PA pass.

Joe Mixon and Samaje Perine we’re corner stone pieces, and the offense has been ever better this year wo them. OU will be just fine wo Rodney Anderson.
    2 users like Strangers's post: SoonernVolved, Stinger_1066

Respect to the girl and her family, and whatever may or may not have happened in this bad situation. But either way there is a game to play and guilty or innocent, RA will 99.99% likely not be available .

So What do we do from a football standpoint? RA is by far the best pass blocking RB we have. Abdul just isn't physically built for it, and Sermon still misses assignments. Going up against Georgia type of players this element will be crucial.

RA is prob also the best pass catcher out of the back field and just has the best rb instincts after being in the system for so long.

For those of you saying this isn't a big deal, go back and revisit. We don't beat OSU, KSU without Anderson.

Riley has time I guess, but damn what a big blow
    The last two backs I remember who didn’t run routes or catch the ball well were Allen Patrick and Adrian Peterson. Pretty much everyone since then has been good there. It’s the four quarter physicality, ball security and blocking assignments that usually hold a guy back. I’m sorry, but maybe everyone needs to lighten up about Adams and his one fumble and his one dropped pass. Jeff Badet, Trey Sermon, Mark Andrews and Baker Mayfield have all had a ball hawked out of their hands this year. Adams has been pretty good and easily our most skilled runner in the open field without Anderson. Give him some more reps and work with him closely on ball security and he’ll be fine. Between three designated “running backs,” a couple FB options, a pair of really good TEs and a couple do-everything WRs, the offense can still win just fine. Remember, it wasn’t long ago that Adams and Sermon were go-to guy’s against tOSU.
    This situation is different than the 2008 Orange Bowl in that there wasn’t another player on the team as talented and as skilled as Murray. All of our guys this year have been used pretty much the same.
    6 users like 49cent's post: BlownGP, cfin5256, Homebrewed, MichSooner, OrlandoSooner, TheRooster

Originally Posted by Strangers View Post
    Joe Mixon and Samaje Perine we’re corner stone pieces, and the offense has been ever better this year wo them. OU will be just fine wo Rodney Anderson.
    Yeah no shit. We've been better BECAUSE of Rodney Anderson picking up the production
    3 users like Jasooner's post: ChocoLab, Ruf Nek, thatsoonerfan89

Abdul is really good. Sermon is really good. Their roles were reduced because Rodney was outplaying them, but these guys are more than adequate fill-ins. I honestly expect us to throw the ball more than usually we do, anyway. These SEC defenses are built to stop the run. Get the best quarterback in NCAA throwing the ball over them, mixing in draws when they are cheating their linebackers too far back.

As I mentioned in the RA thread. Injury. If Adams or Sermon get injured we suddenly have no depth. Huge concern
    2 users like Boomer6671's post: Bustarime, MichSooner

My main worry on this topic is that, if Georgia comes out and stuffs our run game, whoever gets the carries is going to be publically slammed in some quarters because "they're not Rodney Anderson and Rodney Anderson obviously would have broken those tackles and blah blah blah." Best solution there is for our O-line to get really, really mad on New Year's Day.
    3 users like ouwxgrad's post: MichSooner, Ruf Nek, soonerschooner

Abdul will be fine. I think you will see a lot of motion sweep plays with Smallwood. You may even see some motion sweep or read run pass options with Baker, Kyler and Sermon all in.

Anything to keep defense honest and second guessing.

Giving Lincoln a month to prepare means he ha s a chance to create looks they have never seen.

The second half could be huge after setting things up.

I feel okay with Lincoln having time. I also feel in an odd way that this means our group will be keyed in and laser focused on execution.
    The following users like this post: MichSooner

Yeah no shit. We've been better BECAUSE of Rodney Anderson picking up the production
    This is just incorrect. Sermon has just 250 yards less than Anderson.

https://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...group=2&team=0

And only 144 yards less in Receiving.

If you combine Adams and Sermon's production, they more than make up for Anderson's production.
    4 users like BobStoopsGinger's post: ATLantaSooner79, Hammer2Bones, Okie35, TheRooster

How much did he contribute against TOSU? Seems like he didn't start going until texas..we will survive with out him...Bake on the other hand IS the cornerstone of this team (i know you said run game and PA) so we will be fine. Sermon is more than capable and Adams was decent besides the fumble or two

You’re right, it has everything to do with Rodney Anderson, and nothing to do with the best OL in the country, best te in the country, best QB in the country(and 3 time heisman finalist), probably the best FB in the country, and one of the top WR corps in the country.

Trey Sermon and Abdul Adams will be more than great fill ins for RA.

Originally Posted by Boomer6671 View Post
    As I mentioned in the RA thread. Injury. If Adams or Sermon get injured we suddenly have no depth. Huge concern

Don't even think it!!! Delete both posts
    2 users like qaz's post: Milehisooner, Ruf Nek

The loss of Anderson hurts, but the Sooners will overcome...been doing it all season long due to injuries in other positions. May have to make some alterations but Riley will have it worked out with a month to go till game time.

I too agree that if we lose to Georgia, it won't be because of the loss of Anderson. We have plenty of talent at this position.
    2 users like LakeForkSooner's post: MarkStoops, MichSooner

We will no doubt see some new wrinkles...I liked it when they ran Brown out of the backfield also
    Originally Posted by htownSOONER View Post
    Abdul will be fine. I think you will see a lot of motion sweep plays with Smallwood. You may even see some motion sweep or read run pass options with Baker, Kyler and Sermon all in.

Anything to keep defense honest and second guessing.

Giving Lincoln a month to prepare means he ha s a chance to create looks they have never seen.

The second half could be huge after setting things up.

I feel okay with Lincoln having time. I also feel in an odd way that this means our group will be keyed in and laser focused on execution.

And who knows? RA seems to have actual evidence this female is full of shit. He could actually be fine in this case.
    2 users like BobStoopsGinger's post: michaelou727, OU_On_My_Mind

I would still feel better if RA was out there too. But what are you going to do.

Riley: 5 WR sets the whole game.
    2 users like SportyJames's post: thatsoonerfan89, TheRooster

OU was able to win at Ohio St with limited contribution from Anderson. While it certainly isn't good if he isn't playing, I wouldn't put it on the level of not have Murray against Florida in 08. Fortunately OU has Riley and Riley has ample time to adjust the game plan.
    3 users like Quik Sand's post: BobStoopsGinger, michaelou727, ScottsdaleSooner

People saying his absence won't make a difference have to be in denial. Sure, if Kansas or Texas Tech were up next, it probably wouldn't. But against another top team with a very physical defense?

Doesn't mean you'll automatically lose, of course. But losing your best and most complete back is absolutely going to make a difference.
    3 users like ChocoLab's post: Jasooner, Ruf Nek, spowart

Originally Posted by BraveSooner View Post
    Are you seeious? Has it reached this point? Is this happening? Is this real life?
    No.

This is LT

Rampant, uninformed speculation morphs into 99.99% certainties

Originally Posted by BobStoopsGinger View Post
    And who knows? RA seems to have actual evidence this female is full of shit. He could actually be fine in this case.
    What are you talking about? What evidence? Did i miss a post?

Month for Lincoln Riley to game plan with what he knows he will have and more than two capable backs, actually really good backs, the best O-line in the country, and what will be a Heisman winning QB, I am not extremely worried. Yeah it sucks and Rodney is probably the best back, but the other 2 aren't bums by any stretch.

Anderson didn't show much of a pulse until the Texas game. Up to then it was Sermon and Adams as being viewed as the best backs. Some even used the injury to Adams as an excuse for OU losing to Iowa State. I would prefer to have all hands on deck, but it's not the end of world if Anderson is suspended.

I'll also remind everyone that CeeDee Lamb had zero catches against TCU. Didn't seem to bother Mayfield or the offense.

Riley has options.

The accusation is extremely shady. Unless more comes out, or he actually gets charged with a crime, he should still play. Imagine the precedent this would set.... we could have a girl claim she was fingered by Mayfield and file a protective order, and then one of your girls could file one against Roquan Smith, and so forth and so on.

His lawyer had a press conference and said they have evidence of her sending him messages. He made it sound like RFA turnt her down and she didn't accept it well
    Originally Posted by htownSOONER View Post
    What are you talking about? What evidence? Did i miss a post?
    The following users like this post: Mongo

Bigger worry IMO is that this is a massive ****ing distraction for the team. The other backs and Flowers will pick up the slack just fine, esp. with LR having a month to gameplan.

If we come out flat in the Rose Bowl though, it'll be hard not to think the locker room is off with all this shit going down
    2 users like ChSooner's post: MichSooner, soonerschooner

It could be big. I remember when we lost DeMarco ahead of the NC championship game. All said, not that big of a deal. 2 fails to score from near the goal line and all realized it was a big deal. So little margin for error in elite games and this certainly hurts, just hope it's not something we don't overcome. Sermon and Adams have been big in big games, but, the starter is the starter for a reason.

OU will okay even without RA..hurts but it is what it is. Flowers, Adams and Sermon are fine.

If you combine Adams and Sermon's production, they more than make up for Anderson's production.
    Alot of Sermons yards later on came in garbage time

Originally Posted by TheBoots View Post
    No.

This is LT

Rampant, uninformed speculation morphs into 99.99% certainties
    This is OU, its another incident. And its already a top story.

No way Riley is putting his neck on the line in the slightest.

False accusations are unfortunately facts at this point given recent years

Originally Posted by qaz View Post
    How much did he contribute against TOSU? Seems like he didn't start going until texas..we will survive with out him...Bake on the other hand IS the cornerstone of this team (i know you said run game and PA) so we will be fine. Sermon is more than capable and Adams was decent besides the fumble or two
    He had 2 good runs and some good pass blocking against them.

And he almost broke 1 big one which would have been for 6. Obviously Sermon had the hot hand.

Riley wasn't calling the right plays for RA yet at that point.

If there's anything positive to be said it's that we're going to have a bunch of new looks that Georgia hasn't seen on film.
    2 users like yab's post: Jasooner, MichSooner

THAT'S RIGHT BOYS....STAY FOCUSED!!!
    4 users like RockFlagandEagle's post: JR’s BBQ, OKIRISHFAN, TheRooster, zcaa0g

i'd be more worried if flowers were out.

i like sermon and want to see more of him. with home-state eyes upon him, he'll play great against the "dawgs."

all that said, we don't know the status of anderson right now.

just saw that the georgia dc, mel tucker, is interviewing for hc jobs.
    3 users like blackfrancois's post: MichSooner, Okie35, zcaa0g

Start Adams and let Sermon wear on them
    The following users like this post: spowart

Bullshit. Many of those games were in doubt until Sermon put the hammer down.

Sent from my REVVLPLUS C3701A using Tapatalk
    2 users like Adonijah_Aijalon's post: blackfrancois, Okie35

Adams great speed. Didnt he have a 102 yarder?
    The following users like this post: Ruf Nek

Originally Posted by qaz View Post
    @tOSU
    Oklahoma Rushing
    CAR YDS AVG TD LONG
    Trey Sermon 17 62 3.6 0 13
    Abdul Adams 6 20 3.3 0 8
    Rodney Anderson 3 10 3.3 0 8
    Kyler Murray 1 9 9.0 0 9
    Jeff Badet 2 5 2.5 0 8
    Jordan Smallwood 1 3 3.0 1 3
    Baker Mayfield 7 -5 -0.7 0 4
    TEAM 37 104 2.8 1 13
    RA's absence will be unfortunate, but by no means a death sentence.
    2 users like ScottsdaleSooner's post: MichSooner, qaz

Sermon will have the game of his life.
    2 users like Okie35's post: MichSooner, TheRooster

OU won at Ohio St. on the road in just the 2nd game of the season and he wasn't a cornerstone piece in that game and OU's receiving corps was still working on getting on the same page with Mayfield. I think this team will be OK. If this team loses because they didn't have Rodney Anderson, they aren't as good as a team as we thought they were and apparently, Sermon, Adams and Sutton weren't as good as backs as we thought they were either. OU will be fine.
    3 users like zcaa0g's post: MichSooner, Ruf Nek, SoonernVolved

Marcelius Sutton...... anyone heard of him? I think he is a good pass blocker. He will make the most of his opportunity!
    4 users like txbbcoach4OU's post: 5thWave, MichSooner, Okie35, Ruf Nek

Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    i'd be more worried if flowers were out.

i like sermon and want to see more of him. with home-state eyes upon him, he'll play great against the "dawgs."

all that said, we don't know the status of anderson right now.

just saw that the georgia dc, mel tucker, is interviewing for hc jobs.
    Yea in order.. baker, Flowers, Andrews are the most likely important skill players on the offense. Anderson is good but we could’ve won without him. The game plan would’ve been different.

Yeah, I'm sure he can't perform well against opposing starters. Ohio St. disagrees though.

Ohio State was the most complete defense we've seen that'll be close to Georgia.

Sermon had 17 carries for 62 yards.
    Adams had 6 for 20 yards.
    Anderson had 3 for 10 yards.

Now Georgia has a great run defense but we've seen three better run defenses in Ohio State, Texas, and TCU.

In Texas Sermon had 20 carries for 96 yards.
    Anderson had 10 carries for 48 yards.

In the first TCU game it was all Anderson.

In the second TCU game Anderson had 24 carries for 93 yards. Sermon had 10 carries for 63 yards.

Georgia's defensive strength is the front. I think we can run on them but it will be more difficult. Their back end though is vulnerable. I know their pass defense is ranked high but Missouri and Auburn are the highest ranked passing teams they've played at 14 and 68. Auburn killed them once.

..-. .- -.-. - ... --- ...- . .-. ..-. . . .-.. .. -. --. ...
    The following users like this post: soonerschooner

And Rodney Anderson barely played the first 4 games or so.... he is 3 times as productive