Georgia And Oklahoma Commonalities

Posted 6 day(s) ago 5358 Views 246 Replies
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3

Georgia And Oklahoma Commonalities

1. In the 1980s, the two schools broke the NCAAs hold on TV rights giving them to the individual conferences.

2. Both schools participate in the only neutral yearly rivalry games, Red River Shootout and The World’s Largest Outdoor ****tail Party.

3. Speaking of those two names, they were taken away due to our PC culture but are still referred to by fans.

4. Both have to travel to the home state of said rival Texas/Florida.

5. Both schools hate orange. Texas/OSU for OU and Florida/Tennessee/Auburn/Clemson for Georgia.

6. Both schools have an annoying little brother school that they pound yearly, OSU and GT. Even got a GT clown posting here. Wonder if any OSU fans have stopped by the Georgia board.

7. Both fanbases are largely conservative.

8. Both teams went through a decade of shit in the 90s.

9. Both teams have live mascots, Boomer/Sooner and Uga.

10. Both teams are considered blue blood college football programs.

Originally Posted by GeorgiaSooner View Post
    1. In the 1980s, the two schools broke the NCAAs hold on TV rights giving them to the individual conferences.

2. Both schools participate in the only neutral yearly rivalry games, Red River Shootout and The World’s Largest Outdoor ****tail Party.

3. Speaking of those two names, they were taken away due to our PC culture but are still referred to by fans.

5. Both schools hate orange. Texas/OSU for OU and Florida/Tennessee/Auburn/Clemson for Georgia.

6. Both schools have an annoying little brother school that they pound yearly, OSU and GT. Even got a GT clown posting here. Wonder if any OSU fans have stopped by the Georgia board.

10. Both teams have first year head coaches.
    Kirby is in his 2nd year. What is a boomer sooner? Ive been wondering this but never looked it up. No, no OSU fans have been by that I've seen. And that wrambling wreck guy just wants to live his dreams thru OU. I guess if their AD and fans ever got the balls, theyd let go of that triple option dipshit. It worked in the 60s but not today.
    The following users like this post: Morningwood

During the Oklahoma land rush, Boomers were those who waiting for the gun to go off to begin, and Sooners were those who started ahead of the gun.'

Sooners are the land thieves.

P.S. Your welcome.

The dirt is red. Helped WVU get temporarily relevant in the '00s.
    3 users like AppalachianSooner's post: lauderdaleOU, SoonerKA1999, sovasooner

10. Both teams have first year head coaches.
    Have you ever been to Athens? Far from conservative.
    4 users like Joe'sSilverShoes's post: BobStoopsGinger, OKIE, soonergrad, Squad

Originally Posted by dawgfan0331 View Post
    Kirby is in his 2nd year. What is a boomer sooner? Ive been wondering this but never looked it up. No, no OSU fans have been by that I've seen. And that wrambling wreck guy just wants to live his dreams thru OU. I guess if their AD and fans ever got the balls, theyd let go of that triple option dipshit. It worked in the 60s but not today.

LOL duh, forgot about that forgettable 8-5 season last year.

Originally Posted by Joe'sSilverShoes View Post
    Lol well yeah it’s a college town. Norman is very liberal as well. He’s talking about the fanbases as a whole.

Originally Posted by Joe'sSilverShoes View Post
    Plenty, referring to the fan bases. Georgia is a conservative state. Norman has its Bernie-ites too.
    3 users like GeorgiaSooner's post: dawgfan0331, OU48A, SplitTD

Boomers were those that came to Oklahoma legally during the land rush. Sooners took the land early, usually by night. Thus the name of this site.
    2 users like GeorgiaSooner's post: BABoomer, dawgfan0331

Originally Posted by MyT Oklahoma View Post
    During the Oklahoma land rush, Boomers were those who waiting for the gun to go off to begin, and Sooners were those who started ahead of the gun.'

Sooners are the land thieves.

P.S. Your welcome.
    Thank you sir, was wondering why yall had a wagon as a mascot haha
    The following users like this post: adrianhill01

Originally Posted by soonerbms View Post
    Both teams are among college football's blue blooded programs with 5+ NCs, 5+ Heismans, and 40+ conference titles.

Wait a minute. That's just us.
    Georgia has 30 bowl wins to OU’s 29 and Georgia is still Top 15 in all-time wins. Pretty damn good. UGA has 2 National Championships, 3 others they could claim and two Heisman winners, one widely considered to be the best RB of all-time.
    4 users like GeorgiaSooner's post: BoomSoon2016, Good Grief, Morningwood, UnknownVariation

10. Both teams are considered blue blood college football programs.
    Are we sure about #10?
    4 users like Augusta's post: 82XFire, ChocoLab, Lout, Shooter

LOL duh, forgot about that forgettable 8-5 season last year.
    Yea it was less than exciting, but Ill give him that one. He came in and had to overhaul the program. The players have developed tremendously under him though. I never saw this season coming, but Ill take it lol. Already done more than Richt did in 15 years. Wasnt Riley promoted from within?

The "relocation" of the Cherokee Nation from Georgia to Oklahoma.
    Last edited by nmgaucho; December 6th, 2017 at 10:34 AM.

Do colorblind Georgia fans ever get confused watching the Packers?

Georgia has 30 bowl wins to OU’s 29 and Georgia is still Top 15 in all-time wins. Pretty damn good. UGA has 2 National Championships, 3 others they could claim and two Heisman winners, one widely considered to be the best RB of all-time.
    I didn't say Georgia wasn't a good program. I wasn't even taking a shot at your thread. I've just heard a lot in the media that this is a matchup of two of college football's all time great program. I just wanted to push back against that narrative because Georgia isn't on our level historically.
    10 users like soonerbms's post: Bam88, LT-OU, Mongo, mrSooner, Ostrich, OU_On_My_Mind, Shooter, SoonerForLife, Squad, StatGeek

Originally Posted by nmgaucho View Post
    The "relocation " of the Cherokee Nation from Georgia to Oklahoma.
    Not entirely Georgia originated, but yes one of the states the Cherokee's were relocated from.
    The following users like this post: OU48A

Originally Posted by Augusta View Post
    Are we sure about #10?
    Georgia is Top 15 in all-time wins, third in the SEC behind Alabama and Tennessee and #4 all-time in Bowl wins at 30.
    The following users like this post: UnknownVariation

Originally Posted by Nuked View Post
    When I wear anything with the G on it, I still sometimes get asked if it’s the Packers. It’s worse in OKC metro sometimes because Guthrie High School uses that G too. I’ve made the mistake myself and was told the G was for Guthrie. Anywhere in the SEC/ACC states they know the difference.

In 1964, Vince Dooley saw the G logo that the Packers just rolled out and asked for permission to use it.

Originally Posted by soonerbms View Post
    I didn't say Georgia wasn't a good program. I wasn't even taking a shot at your thread. I've just heard a lot in the media that this is a matchup of two of college football's all time great program. I just wanted to push back against that narrative because Georgia isn't on our level historically.
    Ha I knew you weren’t. It’s all good. Just pointing out commonalities since I know both schools well.

What is a boomer sooner?
    Choctaw for "we're going to kick your ass."

The "relocation " of the Cherokee Nation from Georgia to Oklahoma.
    That’s pretty good. Also included Tennessee and North Carolina.

Thank you sir, was wondering why yall had a wagon as a mascot haha
    The oh-so-forgettable movie with Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman called Far and Away depicts the land run in Oklahoma. In 1889, land in Oklahoma was opened up for settlement to anyone able to "stake a claim". Sooners had their land picked out and "jumped the gun". Boomers waited until the gun was fired to tear off and stake a claim to land. Landthieves is named for the Sooners...who steal ground 10 yards at a time .
    3 users like soonerschooner's post: dawgfan0331, LT-OU, Mongo

That’s pretty good. Also included Tennessee and North Carolina.
    I love that part of the country, N Georgia, The Smokies, and Asheville, N carolina. That is some beautiful country, especially in the fall, no wonder the Cherokees loved that area.

Yea it was less than exciting, but Ill give him that one. He came in and had to overhaul the program. The players have developed tremendously under him though. I never saw this season coming, but Ill take it lol. Already done more than Richt did in 15 years. Wasnt Riley promoted from within?
    Yes, Riley was OU's offensive coordinator...in his first year as coordinator, we made it to playoffs. This is his third year on-staff. Bob Stoops saw his head coaching potential, and in the craziest, most unselfish move I've ever seen, retired in June to ensure that the entire staff stayed together (not enough time to put together a new one) and handed the keys to the Ferrari over to Lincoln Riley. He could've stuck around for one more shot at a national championship to go out on, but wanted OU to have continuity, skilled players and keep Riley, who is honestly an offensive genius.
    4 users like soonerschooner's post: JR’s BBQ, MDS00NER, Mongo, mrSooner

The end of both states names ends with an a.

That's all I got.
    2 users like TheRainKing's post: 1stTimeCaller, toatsmcgoats

Originally Posted by Nuked View Post
    They rip off everything. For a bunch of liberal arts majors, they've got all the creativity of a pile of dog crap. Hell, even their stupid fight song is a rip off of the Yankee "Battle Hymn of the Republic". Stupid mutts can't get anything right, including my ****ed order at the drive-thru. I said I want fries with that, you stupid dog!!

UGA has ... two Heisman winners, one widely considered to be the best RB of all-time.
    ...until 1988. Herschel Walker was a beast, but almost every objective and unbiased observer would concede that Barry Sanders is the greatest college running back of all time. Now he doesn’t boast the greatest college “career,” but he needed only one season to show that he was the greatest to ever carry the pigskin. Barry set records in 1988 that will likely never be broken.

As far as the NFL is concerned, it’s no coincidence that Walker’s last All-Pro selection occurred in 1988, Sanders’ final year as an amateur. Barry Sanders made the All-Pro team (either first or second team) during every year of his short career, and he was the league’s rushing leader in four seasons despite the fact that he played behind an average line and with an almost non-existent passing attack. Barry Sanders, although not the most decorated, is the greatest running back of all time at the college level (and NFL level, in my opinion). I would’ve loved to see what Sanders could’ve done with the 90’s-era Cowboys dynasty.
    The following users like this post: LT-OU

I love that part of the country, N Georgia, The Smokies, and Asheville, N carolina. That is some beautiful country, especially in the fall, no wonder the Cherokees loved that area.

Very beautiful area. We visit every year. A lot of friends from the Southeast don’t realize we have mountains in OK too.

It’s not safe to be an oSu fan right now. They lost to OU. They’re likely posing as new UGA fans on your board. Beware of suspicious “Dawg” fans talking about you having the most powerful offense in the world or how good your farm animals look.
    2 users like 49cent's post: JR’s BBQ, Mongo

Originally Posted by 49cent View Post
    It’s not safe to be an oSu fan right now. They lost to OU. They’re likely posing as new UGA fans on your board. Beware of suspicious “Dawg” fans talking about you having the most powerful offense in the world or how good your farm animals look.
    TheTaxDawg is likely an OU fan here too.

I lived in Collegedale, Tennessee for some years. Traveled to the Smokies often. That area of the US is beautiful country. Too bad it's infested with hillbillies.

Sent from my REVVLPLUS C3701A using Tapatalk
    The following users like this post: nmgaucho

Not the same but parts of eastern OK/western AR do resemble the southern Appalachians. Some even call the Ouachita Mtns the "Little Smokies"

Georgia is Top 15 in all-time wins, third in the SEC behind Alabama and Tennessee and #4 all-time in Bowl wins at 30.
    If you consider about 20-25 schools blue bloods then sure. I think most draw the line at about 8.

Originally Posted by RockyMtnSooner View Post
    Not the same but parts of eastern OK/western AR do resemble the southern Appalachians. Some even call the Ouachita Mtns the "Little Smokies"
    Went to the Wichita Mountains and posted it on Facebook and my friends down south said “there’s mountains in Oklahoma?”

Hilarious how the Dust Bowl is the perception of Oklahoma. Not even close. Would argue the only “dusty” area of the state is the panhandle.
    2 users like GeorgiaSooner's post: BABoomer, Perfect Beast

The Oklahoma land rush started in 1889. My family moved from Banks County, Georgia to get in on the action. My grandfather was born in the same year (1889,) eventually settling in Leflore County, OK.
    The following users like this post: GeorgiaSooner

Originally Posted by soonerschooner View Post
    Yes, Riley was OU's offensive coordinator...in his first year as coordinator, we made it to playoffs. This is his third year on-staff. Bob Stoops saw his head coaching potential, and in the craziest, most unselfish move I've ever seen, retired in June to ensure that the entire staff stayed together (not enough time to put together a new one) and handed the keys to the Ferrari over to Lincoln Riley. He could've stuck around for one more shot at a national championship to go out on, but wanted OU to have continuity, skilled players and keep Riley, who is honestly an offensive genius.
    Good move.
    The following users like this post: soonerschooner

Originally Posted by 49cent View Post
    Lmao we know better than "most powerful offense". Maybe efficient and effective but not explosive.

Went to the Wichita Mountains and posted it on Facebook and my friends down south said “there’s mountains in Oklahoma?”

Hilarious how the Dust Bowl is the perception of Oklahoma. Not even close. Would argue the only “dusty” area of the state is the panhandle.
    Well the Little Sahara (the area I think you're referring to) and any damn area next to a gravel road by an oilfield lease that's well traveled.

Still remember watching and hearing all about Walker in the national press. Guy was awesome.
    But at the same time was thinking "This freshman we have here, Marcus Dupree, is gonna be better".

Damn cheeseburgers and pizza ruined all that.
    3 users like Boomer6671's post: Baja Okla, ChocoLab, Mongo

Lmao we know better than "most powerful offense". Maybe efficient and effective but not explosive.
    OSU rolled into Athens in 2007 calling their offense the “best on earth” and proceeded to get their ass kicked 35-14.
    3 users like GeorgiaSooner's post: Mongo, sovasooner, UnknownVariation

Originally Posted by Boomer6671 View Post
    Still remember watching and hearing all about Walker in the national press. Guy was awesome.
    But at the same time was thinking "This freshman we have here, Marcus Dupree, is gonna be better".

Damn cheeseburgers and pizza ruined all that.
    Like Switzer said, Dupree lacked mental toughness which Herschel had a ton of. Herschel was picked on as a kid due to his accent and size. It fueled him, unlike Dupree. Dupree also had that lowlife pastor who is sitting in jail right now in his ear.
    2 users like GeorgiaSooner's post: Boomer6671, Mongo

Georgia a blue blood? Hahahahaha

2nd tier at best. They have a wopping 1 national title. Schools like florida and miami have more than them.

Blue Bloods

OU
    tOSU
    Michigan
    Alabama
    USC
    Notre Dame
    Texas - even if they dont win shit
    Nebraska

Even espn agrees....

http://www.espn.com/college-football...ll-blue-bloods
    5 users like ChpThril's post: Bam88, ChocoLab, OU_On_My_Mind, SoonerOUbsessed, zcaa0g

Originally Posted by SoonerBourne View Post
    Well the Little Sahara (the area I think you're referring to) and any damn area next to a gravel road by an oilfield lease that's well traveled.
    Actually the Black Mesa area in the Panhandle is a ruggedly beautiful place much like NM or AZ, also the highest point in the state.

The Black Mesa:

4 users like nmgaucho's post: blackfrancois, GeorgiaSooner, Mongo, SECsooner

Georgia is not one of the blue bloods of college football. Most every list I've ever seen does not include Georgia. Georgia is a blue blood only in the eyes of their fans.
    3 users like Sooner_in_Georgia01's post: ChpThril, OU_On_My_Mind, SoonerForLife

Originally Posted by Sooner_in_Georgia01 View Post
    Georgia is not one of the blue bloods of college football. Most every list I've ever seen does not include Georgia. Georgia is a blue blood only in the eyes of their fans.
    To each their own then. Top 15 in all-time wins, #2 in SEC Championships, 2 MNCs, 2 Heisman winners, and 30 bowl wins is blue blood to me along with the atmosphere in Athens.

If Georgia isn’t then a school like Nebraska who is still way up in win totals shouldn’t be either. Nebraska is irrelevant.
    The following users like this post: Mongo

Actually the Black Mesa area in the Panhandle is a ruggedly beautiful place much like NM or AZ, also the highest point in the state.

The Black Mesa:

I didn't bold it, but I was referring to the "dusty" part. Anyone who has spent time in Oklahoma around those gravel roads to oilfield locations knows exactly what I'm referring to - not saying you didn't, just going over the part about Oklahoma being not dusty.

The following users like this post: nmgaucho

I agree that Georgia is very unoriginal, in almost every way. Their mascot, a bulldog, is as unoriginal as it gets. They're not even the only bulldogs in their own conference. They stole their "G" from Green Bay. No identity of their own.

Originally Posted by ChpThril View Post
    Georgia a blue blood? Hahahahaha

2nd tier at best. They have a wopping 1 national title. Schools like florida and miami have more than them.

Blue Bloods

OU
    tOSU
    Michigan
    Alabama
    USC
    Notre Dame
    Texas - even if they dont win shit
    Nebraska

Even espn agrees....

http://www.espn.com/college-football...ll-blue-bloods
    Georgia has 2 MNC, 3 others they could claim. If Nebraska is still a “blue blood” then that moniker no longer means much. Nebraska isn’t shit and damn near zero recruits would pick them over Georgia now.