Georgetown Hoyas Resurrection Thread

Posted 76 day(s) ago 3979 Views 74 Replies
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Georgetown Hoyas Resurrection Thread

Love my Hoyas!

Awesome place to watch a game.

Seriously declined over the years, but now have the oft bypassed Coach Patrick Ewing at the helm!

6-0 baby!

2 users like TheBoots's post: SoonerTSS, soonervegas

Originally Posted by ThreeHatBilly View Post
    What's a hoya?
    Many years ago, when all Georgetown students were required to study Greek and Latin, the University's teams were nicknamed "The Stonewalls." It is suggested that a student, using Greek and Latin terms, started the cheer "Hoya Saxa!", which translates into "What Rocks!" The name proved popular and the term "Hoyas" was eventually adopted for all Georgetown teams
    The following users like this post: kopp0e

Originally Posted by TheBoots View Post
    Love my Hoyas!

Seriously declined over the years, but now have the oft bypassed Coach Patrick Ewing at the helm!

6-0 baby!

You do realize they’ve played high school equivalent teams in terms of talent. Their schedule has been so bad, that’s it’s 6 points worse than the worst schedule last year. It’s not something to be very happy about.
    The following users like this post: whiskeytangofoxtrot

Originally Posted by chsguy2013 View Post
    You do realize they’ve played high school equivalent teams in terms of talent. Their schedule has been so bad, that’s it’s 6 points worse than the worst schedule last year. It’s not something to be very happy about.
    PF and PA are 2nd in conference in line with thier standing, so we will see.

Not announcing we are our way to a Natty this year, but shouldn't a Jayhawk getting waxed by Washington be focused elsewhere ?

Hater.

My wife just got accepted to Georgetown for her masters program, so I'll start rooting for them.

Originally Posted by Augusta View Post
    My wife just got accepted to Georgetown for her masters program, so I'll start rooting for them.
    Sweet!

I lived across the Key Bridge from Georgetown for quite some time. Didnt have the kaisch to live there.

You can PM me for recommendations stemming from the park, to Georgetown bagels, all the way to Sunday tea at the 4 Seasons.

One of my favorite places on the planet

Tell her congrats and Go Hoyas!

**** Georgetown. Most overrated basketball program year in and year out.

Originally Posted by whiskeytangofoxtrot View Post
    **** Georgetown. Most overrated basketball program...
    a national title, five final fours, nine elite-eights ...

if you were to put an all-time big-east tournament team together, allen iverson and patrick ewing would be pretty good choices.

hard to say they're "the most overrated." sounds more like Jealousy, ignorance, or you're just seeking attention.
    The following users like this post: kopp0e

PF and PA are 2nd in conference in line with thier standing, so we will see.

Not announcing we are our way to a Natty this year, but shouldn't a Jayhawk getting waxed by Washington be focused elsewhere ?

Hater.
    Beating Richmond by 6 at home is Georgetown’s best win. Richmond is ranked 212 in kenpom. Georgetown's Schedule is ranked 351st out of 351 teams.

Georgetown’s wins:
    326 Jacksonville
    293 mt saint mary’s
    343 Maryland eastern shore
    212 Richmond
    333 Maine
    347 Coppin St

Their next opponent: 340 Howard and then 329 North Carolina AT&T. Then they finally face a team worth something in Syracuse.

Love my Hoyas!

6-0 baby!

Why are you a Hoyas fan. Seems random but I'm sure there is a back story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beating Richmond by 6 at home is Georgetown’s best win. Richmond is ranked 212 in kenpom. Georgetown's Schedule is ranked 351st out of 351 teams.

Georgetown’s wins:
    326 Jacksonville
    293 mt saint mary’s
    343 Maryland eastern shore
    212 Richmond
    333 Maine
    347 Coppin St

Their next opponent: 340 Howard and then 329 North Carolina AT&T. Then they finally face a team worth something in Syracuse.
    So wins and losses don't count.

Sounds like the fan of a team that just lost.

Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    Why are you a Hoyas fan. Seems random but I'm sure there is a back story.

Liked them when I was younger and then when I lived in DC, I lived in the Rosslyn, Virginia area, just a walk across the Key Bridge. The whole Foggy Bottom Georgetown area of DC is awesome, and that campus in particular is just the best.

He was a damn good coach, but John Thompson was an a-hole. Never liked G'Town because of him.

A) wins and losses count, but beating the school of blind doesn’t really mean much, let alone resurrection

b) I’m not a KU basketball fan. I root for their football team, I dislike their basketball team mainly due to their fans. They’re insufferable, somewhat like some OU football only fans. They decided to follow basketball only because they’re not true fans.
    The following users like this post: KCRuf/Nek

A) wins and losses count, but beating the school of blind doesn’t really mean much, let alone resurrection

b) I’m not a KU basketball fan. I root for their football team, I dislike their basketball team mainly due to their fans. They’re insufferable, somewhat like some OU football only fans. They decided to follow basketball only because they’re not true fans.
    1. GTown has been shit for decades
    2. New coach was greatest player alum
    3. Fanbase is excited
    4. Start off 6-0

Sorry we are happy.
    2 users like TheBoots's post: blackfrancois, SoonerTSS

1. GTown has been shit for decades
    2. New coach was greatest player alum
    3. Fanbase is excited
    4. Start off 6-0

Sorry we are happy.
    I'm with you. Moved to DC area (Springfield, VA) during the Ewing years and those teams are how I started following college basketball. We didn't have cable in the area we lived so I was limited to local broadcasts only and watched a lot of Georgetown games. While OU is always my top team I root for the Hoyas in basketball second. Would love to see them be good again.

Something you can relate to.

Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    a national title, five final fours, nine elite-eights ...

if you were to put an all-time big-east tournament team together, allen iverson and patrick ewing would be pretty good choices.

hard to say they're "the most overrated." sounds more like Jealousy, ignorance, or you're just seeking attention.
    One FF was in 1943. They made three in the 80's and have the same number of NC as Villanova in that decade. Enjoy dining on that 30 some year old meal.

**** Georgetown. Nobody likes them.

Originally Posted by meandmybutt View Post
    **** Georgetown. Nobody likes them.
    The following users like this post: meandmybutt

Anyone watching this game should now understand that Ewing is not the second coming.

Anyone watching this game should now understand that Ewing is not the second coming.
    Not sure why you would say that, that was a competitive game.

I am not happy with the shot selection on 3 pointers, when more ball movement would have been more effective.

Other than that, I am happy with the improvement.

If you would have watched them that last three years, it was G Town's Blake years.

Not sure why you would say that, that was a competitive game.

I am not happy with the shot selection on 3 pointers, when more ball movement would have been more effective.

Other than that, I am happy with the improvement.

If you would have watched them that last three years, it was G Town's Blake years.
    Ewing literally did zero coaching in the last 10 minutes of the regulation and OT. GT was not aggressive and made lots of undisciplined mistakes.

Ewing literally did zero coaching in the last 10 minutes of the regulation and OT. GT was not aggressive and made lots of undisciplined mistakes.

The Patrick Ewing experiment is over?

Resurrected right into a home loss to their former rival.
    The following users like this post: chsguy2013

Do I need to run out and get me a Starter jacket yet?

Originally Posted by Quik Sand View Post
    Resurrected right into a home loss to their former rival.
    Bounced back with back to back home wins, and have two big games coming.

Butler at home and Marquette on the road

Who?

Does Ewing sweat more or less than Gary Patterson.

That's cool.

North Texas (7-6)
    Alabama A&M (0-13)

Butler and Marquette would be decent wins.

Originally Posted by KCRuf/Nek View Post
    Who?
    you don't know butler and marquette?

smfh.

Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    you don't know butler and marquette?

smfh.
    I know who they are but the top 25 doesn't seem to. Shake you wiener all you want.

Originally Posted by Quik Sand View Post
    That's cool.

North Texas (7-6)
    Alabama A&M (0-13)

Butler and Marquette would be decent wins.
    Butler is 10-3 and Marquette is 9-3.

Would be good wins.

Who?
    I know who they are.
    girl's ass gonna girl's ass.

Georgetown just lost in double OT to Butler at home. So their best win is still to a terrible Richmond team. But, GEORGETOWN IS BACK!

Georgetown just lost in double OT to Butler at home. So their best win is still to a terrible Richmond team. But, GEORGETOWN IS BACK!
    They were 8th in the Big East last year and 2nd this year

They lost a close game to a 9-3 Butler that was projected to win the conference.

They are doing much better than anyone expected.

Do you wait with glee for the score to bump this thread or what ?

They lost a close game to a 9-3 Butler that was projected to win the conference.

No, just find this thread premature. They're now tied for last in the conference, not 2nd. Butler was never projected to win the conference, they were expected to finish 3rd to last, right above Georgetown. Georgetown is actually doing what was expected.

Keep trying though

Butler that's not in the top 25. But of course neither is Georgetown. I believe that's called pre NIT.

Butler that's not in the top 25. But of course neither is Georgetown. I believe that's called pre NIT.
    His entire statement was wrong, so it's kinda hard to take seriously. Butler was never expected to win the Big East, they were predicted to finish 3rd to last. It's almost as if he's not been around basketball in several years to know that Butler wasn't expected to win the conference

His entire statement was wrong, so it's kinda hard to take seriously. Butler was never expected to win the Big East, they were predicted to finish 3rd to last. It's almost as if he's not been around basketball in several years to know that Butler wasn't expected to win the conference
    But Patrick Ewing.....
    The following users like this post: chsguy2013

No, just find this thread premature. They're now tied for last in the conference, not 2nd. Butler was never projected to win the conference, they were expected to finish 3rd to last, right above Georgetown. Georgetown is actually doing what was expected.

Keep trying though
    Only 4 teams have even played conference games. One team over has 1 loss and 4 have two losses, one of which is Georgetown.

Butler now sits atop the confernece and we lost by a bucket OT.

Last season Butler was 25-9 and the projection I saw had them at #1 and Hoyas were 14-18 projected in the toilet.

I am happy with the progress. You are unimpressed.

Wonderful.

I dont need to keep trying. You need to stop worrying about a team you say you dont care about but have already posted how many times?
    The following users like this post: blackfrancois

Only 4 teams have even played conference games. One team over has 1 loss and 4 have two losses, one of which is Georgetown.
    Conference standings are not based on overall record, they are based on conference record. So when talking about conference standings, that's what you are talking about. Georgetown is now tied for last, as they are 0-1 in conference. Regular season doesn't matter in this scenario.

Butler now sits atop the confernece and we lost by a bucket OT.
    This is true, as Butler is 1-0 in conference play. They were projected to be 3rd to last in conference play, although they should exceed that projection

Last season Butler was 25-9 and the projection I saw had them at #1 and Hoyas were 14-18 projected in the toilet.
    I would love to see that projection because whoever it was is a flat out moron. Villanova was projected 1st, you know, the team that won the national title 2 years ago, was a number 1 seed last year for the tournament, etc. Seton hall was projected 2nd (I believe this will be wrong, as Xavier has shown they are better), Xavier was 3rd. As you can see, Butler was predicted 3rd to last, Georgetown right behind them

http://www.bigeast.com/news/2017/10/...oll-again.aspx

I am happy with the progress. You are unimpressed.

Wonderful.

I dont need to keep trying. You need to stop worrying about a team you say you dont care about but have already posted how many times?
    You're happy with the record, hence why you keep bringing it up. The record is clearly inflated considering their NCSOS is the worst in all of Division 1 basketball. That's how bad Georgetown's schedule was. It was done that way to inflate their record, which apparently has worked into this false belief that Georgetown has improved or is good. But hey, if Georgetown fans are happy with going almost undefeated against a shit non conference schedule and then doing poor in conference play, more power to them.

Conference standings are not based on overall record, they are based on conference record. So when talking about conference standings, that's what you are talking about. Georgetown is now tied for last, as they are 0-1 in conference. Regular season doesn't matter in this scenario.

This is true, as Butler is 1-0 in conference play. They were projected to be 3rd to last in conference play, although they should exceed that projection

I would love to see that projection because whoever it was is a flat out moron. Villanova was projected 1st, you know, the team that won the national title 2 years ago, was a number 1 seed last year for the tournament, etc. Seton hall was projected 2nd (I believe this will be wrong, as Xavier has shown they are better), Xavier was 3rd. As you can see, Butler was predicted 3rd to last, Georgetown right behind them

http://www.bigeast.com/news/2017/10/...oll-again.aspx

You're happy with the record, hence why you keep bringing it up. The record is clearly inflated considering their NCSOS is the worst in all of Division 1 basketball. That's how bad Georgetown's schedule was. It was done that way to inflate their record, which apparently has worked into this false belief that Georgetown has improved or is good. But hey, if Georgetown fans are happy with going almost undefeated against a shit non conference schedule and then doing poor in conference play, more power to them.
    Last year Oklahoma was 11-20.

So far this year they are 10-1.

Which result to date makes you happier?

Can we move this thread to the Hoya board?

Last year Oklahoma was 11-20.

So far this year they are 10-1.

Which result to date makes you happier?
    If we were 10-1 with Georgetown's schedule, I would not be any happier than I was last year. Beating terrible teams doesn't mean you are better than being 11-20.

The fact that we are 10-1 with wins over Wichita State at Intrust, USC in LA, Northwestern at home, and Oregon in Washington is where I get happier and can say we've improved. Last year, we were 6-5 in the non conference at this point, with losses to Wisconsin, Memphis, Northern Iowa, Auburn, and Wichita State. The fact that we were able to be 10-1 without making our schedule absolutely shit, and actually have a similar schedule to last year, maybe tougher, is where I get happier than where we were last year. At the same time, I also don't fall into some weird hype that OU should be the favorite to win the Big 12 this year

Like I said earlier, the schedule Georgetown has this year is abysmal. Falling into looking at just record is exactly what they wanted you to do, because it gave you some false idea that they are significantly improved. It'd be the same if KU football left the Big 12, and played FCS opponents the entire year, and only lost 1 game. That doesn't mean they are better than they were this year. Beating inferior opponents does not mean improvement, nor should it be shocking that you won. It should be expected.

http://www.espn.com/blog/collegebask...ugher-schedule

"With the softest nonconference schedule in college basketball..."

Butler beat Nova

but.......

Georgetown lost to Marquette 74-65. They get DePaul next, which KenPom has them losing, but is their best winnable game

Kid from Marquette is pretty good.

Butler seems to have their number lately.

Big East basketball is fun

Kid from Marquette is pretty good.

Butler seems to have their number lately.

Big East basketball is fun
    Agreed on all 3 points. Round Robin scheduling makes it even better as well. Every team has to face everyone twice