Next Years Secondary

Posted 13 day(s) ago 4334 Views 90 Replies
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Next Years Secondary

I was just thinking about next year and feel like our secondary could be pretty legit next season.

We all know how great Motley played early on in the season but struggled. He picked it back up late in the year. Another offseason could do him wonders.

Brown and Norwood were true freshman’s that ended up becoming starters. Again, another year of experience could do them wonders.

Jordan Parker will be returning. He was the starter before motley who played well the year before. I think a lot of people are forgetting about him.

There’s always a chance a guy like Bookie gets early PT. He’s got potential to start early on.

Safety is a big question mark. I like Robert Barnes a lot. Could always move one of those corners to safety as well.
    2 users like SOONER508.'s post: CrimsonOberon, Stinger_1066

Excited for the secondary next season. Youth and depth. Excited for Jordan to come back healthy, he's been a dog since high school. Bookie is also very intriguing. Wanted him bad in recruiting, he's a program changing personality with talent to back it up and he's already flipping recruits. I'm obviously big on all the Cali guys lol. The returning freshman will also be fun to watch this year. Front 7 play will be the deciding factor in the improvement of this defense, it won't be this secondary.
    4 users like CaliSooner1994's post: BoomSoon2016, CrimsonOberon, smusooner, TheBoots

I think the talent is improving but if FUMS gaping **** scheme is still there then we will need to score 45 plus.
    2 users like TahoeSooner's post: HailCaesar, zcaa0g

People keep saying Jordan Parker played well two years ago. I really don't think that's true.

I hope we actually have guys to rotate because the notion of any corner covering 75 routes a damn game and staying sound the whole time is absurd.

I thought he was similar to Tre Brown this year, thats just my opinion and foggy memory, he seemed better than Motley played a lot of this year.

We should be OK at corner, but safety is a legit huge question mark. I’m not a huge fan of any of the guys we have back there who have played much outside of Barnes.

Haughton, Sylvie, McKinney, etc. they’re middle of the pack P5 players. If we were just replacing one, that’s be ok. But both? That’s going to hurt bad. It’s exacerbated by the fact we play 5 DBs a lot on this league. Maybe we will see more 3 CB sets as opposed to 3 safeties. Or maybe one of the CBs has the build and mindset to move to safety/nickel. Maybe Bookie is good enough to play safety.

I don’t know but I’m not as optimistic as you. Without a scheme change or a late recruiting pickup/transfer, I think we will be worse on the backend overall. The corners have potential, but they’ll need to make huge strides to help cover for the safeties. Even though Parker and Johnson took a lot of heat, they were both experienced and talented. If next years are 3/4 as good as last year, that’s about as good as I think we can reasonably expect.
    The following users like this post: Stinger_1066

Originally Posted by nomad View Post
    People keep saying Jordan Parker played well two years ago. I really don't think that's true.
    It was in comparison to the middle school level performance of the guys stuck at that spot for the first part of the season. Kinda hard to look bad when following up Austin and Cobb and whoever else we threw out there.

Having said that. He was a true frosh who had ****ing heart surgery right before the season started. Just cant expect high level performance right out of the gate from him. He probably played much better than you would have expected if I told you before that season how it all turned out.
    The following users like this post: J85allen

Such a strange discussion without knowing whether or not Mike Stoops will still be here. Pointless actually.

If our bad ace young DL players can disrupt the qb then our corners will look MUCH better. We have some young uns with tons of potential. Should be a fun year again. I'll be ready.

Ok, quick, someone mention how it doesn't matter because of fums!
    5 users like RockE's post: Chicago2.0, J85allen, Mongo, OU48A, Vicarious

If Bookie is truly a 5* he should be a starting CB next season
    The following users like this post: adrianhill01

Originally Posted by LeisureClub View Post
    I hope we actually have guys to rotate because the notion of any corner covering 75 routes a damn game and staying sound the whole time is absurd.
    That's a really good point

Originally Posted by RockE View Post
    If our bad ace young DL players can disrupt the qb then our corners will look MUCH better. We have some young uns with tons of potential. Should be a fun year again. I'll be ready.

Ok, quick, someone mention how it doesn't matter because of fums!
    True. We can’t expect anyone, especially inexperienced DBs, to cover for 7+ seconds. It all starts up front. If we can generate pressure with 4 or even 5 , the back end will look a lot better. Maybe I’m just being optimistic, but I feel like the young guns we’ve recruited the past 2 years are the type of athletes on the edges to get pressure
    7 users like J85allen's post: BoomSoon2016, chris9996, JR’s BBQ, MichSooner, OU48A, RockE, Soonerfan65

It's a trenches game. Pressure busts pipes. If we can't get pressure, we can't play defense. It starts up front. It always starts up front.

Originally Posted by fmamk View Post
    Such a strange discussion without knowing whether or not Mike Stoops will still be here. Pointless actually.
    he is back. now discuss

Barnes will have a good shot. As a sleeper I’m curious about the freshman safety Fields. Saw some video of him doing drills on Twitter and he looked smooth, and also read he had a perfect GPA in HS. A little of that kind of intelligence in the defensive backfield might go a long way.
    5 users like AppalachianSooner's post: CaliSooner1994, FutureDC2853, J85allen, JR’s BBQ, RockE

I’m really interested to see who takes over for Parker. Current depth chart shows Sylvie but I’m not convinced it’s the answer.

Barnes was a freshman last year and had some injuries. I’ll choose to be optimistic.

Motley and Norwood have done a decent job in pass protection. Motley is a good tackler, but both get blocked out of a play too often. I’d like to see Brown rotate in. Possibly an opportunity for Bookie but we have a lot of young guys in the mix.

Long story short, our secondary could be good but it’s mostly question marks. As others have mentioned, scheme and pass rush matter a lot. Doesn’t matter who we have back there if we play 7 yards off and rush 3.
    The following users like this post: OU48A

As was stated above without d line pressure the secondary is going to look bad. Only having 3 down linemen to rush a QB is going to make OU's secondary always look bad. FUMS
    The following users like this post: ATLantaSooner79

The safeties need to learn some tackling skills though.
    4 users like UKSooner's post: adrianhill01, FutureDC2853, jakel, OU48A

Corners will be better, safeties will be a work in progress. This defense is probably still at least two years away from being anything beyond competent. Still, a competent defense and what could have been....

Originally Posted by ResidentEvil View Post
    We should be OK at corner, but safety is a legit huge question mark. I’m not a huge fan of any of the guys we have back there who have played much outside of Barnes.

Haughton, Sylvie, McKinney, etc. they’re middle of the pack P5 players. If we were just replacing one, that’s be ok. But both? That’s going to hurt bad. It’s exacerbated by the fact we play 5 DBs a lot on this league. Maybe we will see more 3 CB sets as opposed to 3 safeties. Or maybe one of the CBs has the build and mindset to move to safety/nickel. Maybe Bookie is good enough to play safety.

I don’t know but I’m not as optimistic as you. Without a scheme change or a late recruiting pickup/transfer, I think we will be worse on the backend overall. The corners have potential, but they’ll need to make huge strides to help cover for the safeties. Even though Parker and Johnson took a lot of heat, they were both experienced and talented. If next years are 3/4 as good as last year, that’s about as good as I think we can reasonably expect.
    I feel good about the corners.

Too bad Will Sunderland turned out to be an idiot. We could have used him at safety.
    2 users like Stinger_1066's post: Bear_Jew, Chief

I'm usually not a stargazer, but watching Bookie's high school film, made me realize there is a vast difference between a 3 star corner and a 5 star corner. That guy is a baller.

Sent from my LG-K540 using Tapatalk
    5 users like Adonijah_Aijalon's post: AppalachianSooner, chris9996, sooneron, sovasooner, theSeanDon

Our safeties are going to be baaaaad.

If Leon O'neal jumps on board he will start, I guarantee it.

Any chance Sunderland comes back?

Sent from my LG-K550 using Tapatalk

The best thing going for us is competition. We will enter the off season with every position wide open and a lot of raw talent coming in. 2017 set the tone: if you don't prefer, we will plug someone else in. I expect great things.
    The following users like this post: Doctor X

Originally Posted by jccouger View Post

I actually agree with this. Would start at SS immediately. As the roster is constructed now I wouldn't mind seeing Bookie and Broiles try to play some free safety.
    2 users like OkCard57's post: FutureDC2853, jccouger

OU has a few talented kids that should push for playing time, some with starting experience, and a couple coming in that appear hungry. At the very least, the competition should be fierce, which is a good thing.

If Mike bounces, or learns to use pressure/tightens up the run defense, the secondary could end up being a strength.

Originally Posted by oupunk View Post
    Any chance Sunderland comes back?
    Neither one of his court cases has been settled. His attorney keeps asking for a continuance. He is due in Oklahoma County court on January 25th and Cleveland County court on February 8th.

Not sure what his standing as a student is with OU. Is he presently enrolled at OU or anywhere else?

Would the team or university allow a guy back who stole from a fellow student?
    The following users like this post: oupunk

Originally Posted by jccouger View Post

I look for Bookie to push for playing time here.
    2 users like FutureDC2853's post: Bear_Jew, jccouger

Justin Broiles is the next Gannah Joseph.
    The following users like this post: Filthy

Don't forget about Ryan Jones. I'm hoping like hell that he emerges, because Haughton and Sylvie aren't elite.
    8 users like sovasooner's post: Bear_Jew, Bustarime, cccasooner2, chris9996, J85allen, jakel, sooner28, theSeanDon

If we keep the same ole D coach.. we're gonna have the same ole D... no matter who's back there !!

I really hate to dog on our players, but Slyvie shouldn't get playing time at a program at OUs level. He's slow, small & has almost no instinct.

Haughton made a few plays on a couple balls but he's just not the level of athlete we need back there.

Barnes is a good looking athlete, but I just don't think he can read an offense and has no anticipation skills. He wiffed on so many tackles because he just has no idea where the WR or RB are going. He can lay a boom though if he guesses right.

I'm actually pumped up for our CBs, we have 3 guys with experience and have shown to at least bee adequate. I hope Parker can replace Norwood. Really need one of those 2 to make a giant leap.
    The following users like this post: gratefulRed

Originally Posted by FutureDC2853 View Post
    If he doesn’t get it against FAU there’s something I’m not seeing.
    The following users like this post: FutureDC2853

Originally Posted by Soonskin View Post
    he is back. now discuss
    Do we really know that?

Maybe Mike suddenly retires in June before he dies on the field.

Why would you make a blanket statement that cripples our hope?

Parker is smart and has the potential to take a starting job. My only problem with him is he's not very tall. Just based on watching them on the field, I'd guess Norwood is 2-3 inches taller and more able to jump up in a tall receiver's grill. But Norwood is a bean pole and I don't see his frame putting on 15 needed pounds.

Are you thinking the spot vacated by Johnson? Or something else?
    The following users like this post: FutureDC2853

Originally Posted by nomad View Post
    I really don't think what you are saying is true.

Originally Posted by AlSwarengin View Post
    Or Gana.
    The following users like this post: Filthy

What about the Jones kid from NC? Wasn’t he around 220? Maybe we could have an actual legit SS.
    The following users like this post: chris9996

The best thing about being an OU fan recently is the thought of "there's always next year." It gives you hope that next year could be better than the previous year. I like that.
    The following users like this post: MichSooner

Unfortunately, the secondary won't matter unless Gallimore and/or Overton steps up big time and plays consistently. Losing Lampkin is a huge blow to the defensive front. He really needed to wait one more year, but everyone's financial situation and personal situation is different. It's understandable, but I think it will cost him.

Originally Posted by adrianhill01 View Post
    The best thing about being an OU fan recently is the thought of "there's always next year." It gives you hope that next year could be better than the previous year. I like that.
    And unlike another college football program in Oklahoma, it's actually true.
    2 users like zcaa0g's post: adrianhill01, J85allen

Tre Brown should be a starter...most physical corner we have and maybe fastest on the team...made plays every time he was in the game...I love Barnes at Safety and the other corner I would start Bookie...everyone else had a chance to show us what they can do...I'd like to see the 5* player get the start..
    5 users like IKE93's post: Adonijah_Aijalon, Bear_Jew, chris9996, Ostrich, txbbcoach4OU

Originally Posted by Saul Good View Post
    Are you thinking the spot vacated by Johnson? Or something else?
    You got it! I feel like once Johnson got into a more natural position, he played well. I feel Bookie will be very versatile.

Originally Posted by Bustarime View Post
    Parker is smart and has the potential to take a starting job. My only problem with him is he's not very tall. Just based on watching them on the field, I'd guess Norwood is 2-3 inches taller and more able to jump up in a tall receiver's grill. But Norwood is a bean pole and I don't see his frame putting on 15 needed pounds.
    How old is Norwood? 18? 19? I bet he can easily add 15 pounds before he's done here.

Originally Posted by AlSwarengin View Post
    That’s a name I haven’t heard in a while. Makes me smile at the thought.

OU has a few talented kids that should push for playing time, some with starting experience, and a couple coming in that appear hungry. At the very least, the competition should be fierce, which is a good thing.

If Mike bounces, or learns to use pressure/tightens up the run defense, the secondary could end up being a strength.
    Mike is an old dog. He won’t learn any new tricks.

And the LB's... GA was bouncing off them like Pin Balls.