WR group for 2018

Posted 13 day(s) ago 1917 Views 38 Replies

WR group for 2018

This should be the best position group on the team.

Calcaterra pretty obviously steps into the Y, with Lamb and Brown in the X and Z. Mykel Jones did a good job at the H, but Basquine will be back as well to compete.

We have a whole host of depth/competition though. Rambo coming off of redshirt is the most exciting. But A.D. Miller, Lee Morris, and Myles Tease are all guys who have been contributors at various points and will be back. Plus we're adding Kundarrious Taylor, Treveon Johnson, Jaquaylin Crawford, and Jaylon Robinson, as well as Stoops's kid potentially. That's a 13 deep receiver group, although a couple of those freshmen probably redshirt. And the best part is, not a single one of them is a senior, so they'll all be back in '19 minus any transfers or Hollywood going pro.
    The following users like this post: EMAN

Lee Morris and Myles Tease could get scholarships

Well our WR corps should be stout for this next year as also Lee Morris and Myles Tease may get scholarships down the line. We need depth at The TE position though after Mark Andrews then comes in Grant Calcaterra who has a chance to be good as Austin Stogner doesn't come in till 2019. Dimitri Flowers is going to be tough to replace for he caught passes as well as blocked up front. So yeah we are gonna need some help here.

FB/TE/WR

Grant Calcaterra TE So.
    Marquise Brown Jr.
    Nick Basquine Sr. may get a medical redshirt
    Mykel Jones Jr
    A.D. Miller redshirt Jr
    CeeDee Lamb So.
    Charleston Rambo Redshirt
    Jeremiah Hall Redshirt FB/TE
    Marcelias Sutton could move to slot too
    Myles Tease walk on Sr. could get a scholarship
    Lee Morris walk on Jr could get scholarship
    Abdul Adams Jr could move to slot too
    Ricky DeBerry FB converted LB hard to say
    Carson Meier TE/FB Sr.
    Malik Bradshaw WR walk on Jr
    Reggie Turner WR walk on Juco Sr.
    Joe Castiglione FB walk on Jr
    Tavion Thomas FB/RB grades for 2018 class
    Carlos Hishaw WR walk on Jr
    Sam Iheke WR walk on Jr
    Kundarrius Taylor WR Freshman
    Treveon Johnson WR Freshman
    Jaqualyn Crawford WR Freshman
    CeeDee Lamb WR Sophomore
    Chase Nevel WR walk on Sr
    Nathan Womack WR walk on So
    Drake Stoops WR preferred walk on
    Jaylon Robinson WR Freshman
    The following users like this post: EMAN

Dimitri will be hard to replace... But so was Trey Millard before him.

We reload at FB. The key is, Jeremiah Hall, or whoever wins that position, does NOT have to be Dimitri Flowers from Day One. Dimitri Flowers wasn't even Dimitri Flowers from Day One. Just come in, bust your ass in the weight room and do your thing.

No other team in college football uses their FB/HB like OU. You WILL have your time to shine.
    7 users like CrimsonOberon's post: ab5sr, CalSOONER, Jive Turkey11, JR’s BBQ, LVSOONER15, MyT Oklahoma, SportyJames

Originally Posted by CrimsonOberon View Post

We reload at FB. The key is, Jeremiah Hall, or whoever wins that position, does NOT have to be Dimitri Flowers from Day One. Dimitri Flowers wasn't even Dimitri Flowers from Day One. Just come in, bust your ass in the weight room and do your thing.

No other team in college football uses their FB/HB like OU. You WILL have your time to shine.
    Don't leave us guessing. If Dimitri was not Dimitri, then who was Dimitri. And the person whom we believed to be Dimitri, who was he actually? One of life's big mysteries.
    The following users like this post: kilroydos

I really like Jaylon Robinson's film.

Sent from my LG-K540 using Tapatalk
    The following users like this post: sovasooner

Originally Posted by meandmybutt View Post
    Don't leave us guessing. If Dimitri was not Dimitri, then who was Dimitri. And the person whom we believed to be Dimitri, who was he actually? One of life's big mysteries.
    I don't know--but he wasn't Dimitri Flowers.

Maybe he was just Dmtri Flwers and hadn't earned all the letters, yet.
    2 users like CrimsonOberon's post: meandmybutt, TumbleweedDoom

AD Miller is still here!!!? That dude was catching balls from Paul Thompson it seems!
    4 users like Dagnorbert's post: BehindEnemyLines, CalSOONER, HOTROD21, land burglar73507

It’s a pretty sick collection of talent. Seems like Gundy and Simmons are doing a good job not only recruiting but developing. I like Jaquaylin Crawford as a wildcard down the road. He lacks the polish to play right away, and needs work on is hands concentration but the guy is a burner.

I really like what LR has us going for in terms of a fit in his offense. We may not have 6’5” goiliaths hanging out wide, but we will blaze you given a little space. And Lr is a master at creating space.

Originally Posted by Adonijah_Aijalon View Post
    I really like Jaylon Robinson's film.

any comparisons to anyone in terms of his game?

Originally Posted by greensooner View Post
    any comparisons to anyone in terms of his game?
    Looks a lot like Cede to me.

2 users like Adonijah_Aijalon's post: greensooner, No19Sooner

Originally Posted by Adonijah_Aijalon View Post
    Looks a lot like Cede to me.

that would be great if true, CeeDee has shown amazing talent, potential and steady hands in the biggest moments as a true freshman

another guy I'm interested in is Kundarrious Taylor, surely one of the big guys will pan out at WR and it might as well be him
    5 users like greensooner's post: Adonijah_Aijalon, BoomSoon2016, J85allen, sooner28, sovasooner

Originally Posted by greensooner View Post
    that would be great if true, CeeDee has shown amazing talent, potential and steady hands in the biggest moments as a true freshman

another guy I'm interested in is Kundarrious Taylor, surely one of the big guys will pan out at WR and it might as well be him
    Check him out.
    https://youtu.be/qcgCfj8raog

The following users like this post: greensooner

Originally Posted by Dagnorbert View Post
    AD Miller is still here!!!? That dude was catching balls from Paul Thompson it seems!
    He took a redshirt. Saw him standing on sideline at Rose Bowl so he's definitely still on team.

I hope we get some guys with size, I think we might miss that next year. Being able to move Flowers and Andrews around in all positions makes it so hard on the defense to defend. Anyone heard anything on Hall? I guess the fact we didn't offer any FB/TE this year means we are happy with what we have.
    The following users like this post: Adonijah_Aijalon

Totally agree. I didn't see it his freshman year. '14 was a huge drop off from Millard. It'll be interesting to see how the RS year treated Hall.
    The following users like this post: CrimsonOberon

Originally Posted by bmrsnr28 View Post
    I guess the fact we didn't offer any FB/TE this year means we are happy with what we have.
    And we already have our '19 and '20 TEs committed.

WR's are indeed loaded, but with the RB's and Oline set to go balls out, I see the offense loaded as a complete unit.
    Defense...we will see.

Want me tell you why I don't think you'll see much of a drop off in offensive efficiency even losing Mayfield: talent combined with Rileys plays and play calling. I was looking at the WR group thinking "We are loaded", so therefore I got a preliminary depth chart from the 2 deep thread and look at the talent on this offense
    QB - Kyler Murray,
    RB - Rodney Anderson*, Trey Sermon
    FB - Jeremiah Hall

LT - Bobby Evans*
    LG - Ben Powers*
    C - Creed Humphrey
    RG - Dru Samia*
    RT - Adrian Ealy

X - CeeDee Lamb*, Kundarrius Taylor
    H - Mykel Jones, Charleston Rambo
    Y - Grant Calcaterra, Lee Morris
    Z - Hollywood Brown*, Nick Basquine

(Stars are based on Rival composites)
    QB-5 *
    RB-4*,4*
    FB-3*
    LT-4*
    LG-3*
    C-4*
    RG-4*
    RT-4*

X-4*, 4*
    H-4*,4*
    Y-4*, Walkon
    Z-4*, Walkon

This is what happens when you have talent. The entire offense is 4* or above excluding a FB, LG, and the 2 walkons at WR. This WR group loaded and the offense in general is also extremely talented.

I agree WR looks strong but you have to take WR and TE together and Andrews and Flowers are going to be HUGE misses, particularly in the red zone. That said I feel ok about our offence next year because HB is so damn strong.

yeah, you would think with the way we feature the FB so often......we would be top of the list for some elite FB's out there. Over the years that position has faded away from lack of use, but here at OU you can get a LOT of action at that spot. Do we have anyone NEAR the level of Flowers on the roster now??

Originally Posted by UKSooner View Post
    I agree WR looks strong but you have to take WR and TE together and Andrews and Flowers are going to be HUGE misses, particularly in the red zone. That said I feel ok about our offence next year because HB is so damn strong.

Calcaterra has the potential to be a great receiving TE. Though he dropped a pass or two this year (early in tOSU game)....he also made some extremely impressive TD grabs. I think he'll help ease the loss of Andrews. Just not sure what we have coming in to replace Flowers...as I can't recall seeing anything from his backup the last two years. I'm sure we have some bodies for that spot....but how talented are they??

who backs up Calc at TE?

Right? LOL

We haven't recruited a ton of height lately at WR. I had such high hopes for the class with 4 guys over 6'4". I think Andrews was the only one to every really do anything.

Originally Posted by OrangePeanut View Post
    We haven't recruited a ton of height lately at WR. I had such high hopes for the class with 4 guys over 6'4". I think Andrews was the only one to every really do anything.
    I remember when we did this. Mead and Todd were the others. There was one more 6'4ish guy. Can't remember who.
    The guys we have coming in now are straight burners.

We don't even need great talent at WR with all the attention our secret weapon Calcutta will draw to the middle of the field
    2 users like ChocoLab's post: CrimsonOberon, RockE

Robinson looks like he has great hands and probably the best YAC ability of anyone coming in, very instinctual runner.

I think Jeremiah Hall will surprise us (in a good way) in Flowers' spot.
    2 users like nomad's post: Adonijah_Aijalon, CrimsonOberon

Originally Posted by RockE View Post
    I remember when we did this. Mead and Todd were the others. There was one more 6'4ish guy. Can't remember who.
    Dahu???

When this thread is about all the elite defensive linemen coming in, I will get excited. Not worried about our offense at all.

Dannon Cavil I think is who you're speaking of.
    2 users like OkCard57's post: nomad, sperry

Going to miss Flowers as much as Mayfield....Guy was money...
    The following users like this post: SMU Sooner

Dahu???
    Dahu is now at Arkansas State with Justice Hansen.

Anyone think DeBerry gets a lot of PT?

Mark Andrews: 6-6 listed as a WR
    Dallis Todd: 6-5
    Jeffery Mead: 6-5.5

Originally Posted by OrangePeanut View Post
    Maybe the high hopes that weren't warranted have something to do with the guys we recruit now.

Originally Posted by MI Sooner View Post
    Maybe the high hopes that weren't warranted have something to do with the guys we recruit now.
    I think we were looking for a new identity, a more pro-style look with possession WRs vs the burners we have now. Lamb is a hell of a possession guy though.

Cale Gundy definitely deserves a raise.
    The following users like this post: J85allen

Originally Posted by gratefulRed View Post
    yeah, you would think with the way we feature the FB so often......we would be top of the list for some elite FB's out there. Over the years that position has faded away from lack of use, but here at OU you can get a LOT of action at that spot. Do we have anyone NEAR the level of Flowers on the roster now??
    We won't know for certain until they hit the field.

That said, I won't be shocked if Jeremiah Hall turns some heads early. He just doesn't have to be Dimitri.

Dimitri flourished under Riley; I have no doubt that will continue for every FB that comes through here.

Originally Posted by OkieThunderLion View Post
    Totally agree. I didn't see it his freshman year. '14 was a huge drop off from Millard. It'll be interesting to see how the RS year treated Hall.
    The Baylor game in Waco Mayfield's first year was when I thought the light came on. He made tough catches, absorbed contact and just started looking like the Dimitri Flowers Sooner fans would come to know and love.
    The following users like this post: J85allen