Barry Switzer calls out Sooners' defense after Alabama wins national championship

After Alabama's 26-23 win over Georgia in the College Football Playoff National Championship, former Oklahoma coach Barry Switzer had a message for the Sooners.

Alabama proves the defense still wins championships!!!@OU_Football @AlabamaFTBL @FootballUGA
    — Barry Switzer (@Barry_Switzer) January 9, 2018

The Crimson Tide are known throughout college football as a defensive power house, the Sooners, however, are not.

Oklahoma gave up 527 yards of total offense to Georgia in its 54-48 semifinal Rose Bowl loss to the Bulldogs. Senior running backs Nick Chubb and Sony Michel combined to run for 326 yards against the Sooners.

The Sooners' defensive struggles have been the biggest knock against them this season. Defensive coordinator Mike Stoops has also received a lot of criticism for the way his defense has played this season and in the Rose Bowl, but coach Lincoln Riley stood behind him earlier this month.

http://www.oudaily.com/sports/oklaho...4.html?src=rss

Bit of a stretch, Armstrong....

2 users like mexican/ninja's post: Petro-Sooner, tennsooner

The following users like this post: XingTheRubicon

Interesting that at the end of the tweet he put in @OU_Football, making sure OU Football would see it.
    6 users like soonergrad's post: ab5sr, BoomSoon2016, CalSOONER, EastSideSooners, SECsooner, sledgehammer

his tweet was posted yesterday in the sec thread:

Originally Posted by CarolinaSooner View Post

my response:

Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    don't know if i fully agree. unbelievably, saban switched to the true frosh qb at the half; he threw for 166 and scored 20; and the dude threw a 40 yd rope in o.t. to win it.

i mean, both d's were incredible. but it seems the better offense* down the stretch decided this one.

* sans kicker, who was bloody awful
    8 users like blackfrancois's post: ElkRiverSooner, EMAN, JW3K, Percy, RockE, sledgehammer, Soonerprincess, tennsooner

his tweet was posted yesterday in the sec thread:

my response:
    Well, consider for whose benefit this statement was made, obviously OU's. One would surmise that Coach Switzer takes it personally that we missed out on number eight, and could have had number eight, except for defense that had every decent high school coach in the country shaking his head. (Yes, there was plenty of blame to go 'round, but the most salient failure on our part wasn't an offense that scored what, 38 points.)

Defense wins games by holding them to fewer points, and conversely it loses games by allowing too many points... Maybe there's something to be said about special teams play also.

Coach is talking to you, @OUFootball.

Defense didn't win the 2 NC games before this one. Having the best combination of offensive and defensive lines wins championships perhaps.
    4 users like zcaa0g's post: blackfrancois, chris9996, LVSOONER15, soonerguru

OU/Defense

POD - SportsTalk1400: CHRIS LANDRY WITH THE RUSH

https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/s...16_20_54-08_00

Alabama had a shit offense in the first half and was getting their ass whooped. Clemson had a shit offense and got exposed against Bama. Offense is just as important as defense. The goal is to not suck at both.

Now that everybody and their dog has criticized OU's defense why not take this opportunity (referring to Lincoln) to make the right decision and tell Mike it's been a lot of fun while it lasted but the rocky ride is over. . The young prince needs to listen to the old (and wise) king.

Who hasn’t...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The following users like this post: echo101

Originally Posted by echo101 View Post
    Now that everybody and their dog has criticized OU's defense why not take this opportunity (referring to Lincoln) to make the right decision and tell Mike it's been a lot of fun while it lasted but the rocky ride is over. . The young prince needs to listen to the old (and wise) king.
    wise words
    2 users like Waddy'sGhost's post: echo101, Spade1000

We don't need an offense as good as we had this year to win a championship, and we may not need to be as good as Alabama, defensively. However, what we need to be, is simply a lot more balanced. Our offense was all-world, and our defense was the exact opposite.

The problem for us is that, by nature, defense is usually more consistent then offense, even within one four-quarter game. This probably explains why every team that has won the CFB playoff, and 3/4 of the teams in this year's playoff, had really good defenses. In those moments where our offense was struggling a bit, or play-calling was off, our defense couldn't back us up for the most part. On the other hand, when Alabama's offense struggles, or their play-calling stinks, their defense is consistently able to keep them in every game.

Originally Posted by Waddy'sGhost View Post
    wise words
    Exactly.

Originally Posted by soonergrad View Post
    Interesting that at the end of the tweet he put in @OU_Football, making sure OU Football would see it.
    Shit. I still don’t understand twitter. GD. Old man is whipping me at social media.

He could have said that piss poor defense loses championships. Bama was getting jacked by a defense that OU lit up. That Baker-esque QB that Satan put in was the answer in that game.
    The following users like this post: Soonerprincess

LOL at anyone that questions Boz or Barry when it comes to an opinion on OU's defense. In code (Boz not so much, he had the balls to tell it like it is) they both said it sucks ass and it doesn't really matter if any of you agree with them. They're right.

Originally Posted by mexican/ninja View Post
    Bit of a stretch, Armstrong....

Not really. We all know what he really wants to say but can't.
    The following users like this post: TahoeSooner

Two that initially come to mind - and yes I am starting to get old and remember both - are 13-2 and 14-6. I agree with coach, always.
    2 users like ab5sr's post: soonergrad, Spade1000

Originally Posted by zcaa0g View Post
    Defense didn't win the 2 NC games before this one. Having the best combination of offensive and defensive lines wins championships perhaps.
    "Defense doesn't win games, only defensive lines.

At OU, the defense loses championships.
    2 users like soonerguru's post: land burglar73507, soonergrad

I hate to remind Switzer that his '80s defenses as good as they were would have probably let this Bamawaiin QB throw for about 350.
    2 users like Yuck Fu's post: Mongo, SoonerPT

Originally Posted by soonergrad View Post
    Interesting? Why? That was his audience.
    The following users like this post: RockE

Defense wins championships as they claim only when the team that scores the most points doesn't tote off the trophy.
    2 users like tennsooner's post: RockE, Soonerprincess

Originally Posted by manateepower View Post
    "Defense doesn't win games, only defensive lines.

Good job of missing the point.

Originally Posted by OUInformant View Post
    We don't need an offense as good as we had this year to win a championship, and we may not need to be as good as Alabama, defensively. However, what we need to be, is simply a lot more balanced. Our offense was all-world, and our defense was the exact opposite.

The problem for us is that, by nature, defense is usually more consistent then offense, even within one four-quarter game. This probably explains why every team that has won the CFB playoff, and 3/4 of the teams in this year's playoff, had really good defenses. In those moments where our offense was struggling a bit, or play-calling was off, our defense couldn't back us up for the most part. On the other hand, when Alabama's offense struggles, or their play-calling stinks, their defense is consistently able to keep them in every game.
    Love this post. Defense wins championships because defense travels. Offense, no matter how good is hit or miss. You won't score 50 every game. Now we dropped 40 on Georgia and should've won with competent defense, but we didn't have that. The same can be said for my Colts for a long time with Peyton. We had the offense but we never had the defense to put us over the top. In football, the dynasties all play defense. At every level. That's not to say they don't have a good offense as well, but the defense wins championships.

The 2000 Oklahoma Defense would like time at the podium please.
    2 users like soonersorlaters's post: CaliSooner1994, Soonerprincess

Originally Posted by S00NER4LIFE View Post
    Alabama had a shit offense in the first half and was getting their ass whooped. Clemson had a shit offense and got exposed against Bama. Offense is just as important as defense. The goal is to not suck at both.
    Really the goal is to not suck at either.
    2 users like bodhisattva's post: Soonerprincess, tennsooner

Bottom line is, you can't be as unbalanced as OU and win it all. One trick ponies can't win NC. No matter how good you are on offense/defense, your defense/offense need to show up at some point. We all saw how Bama's offense came out of nowhere and beat Georgia in second half. Defense kept in the game, offense won it.

I don't see us winning a playoff game ever as long as Mike running the show on defense.
    3 users like Free electron's post: DirtySouth_Sooner, MyT Oklahoma, zcaa0g

Originally Posted by Yuck Fu View Post
    I hate to remind Switzer that his '80s defenses as good as they were would have probably let this Bamawaiin QB throw for about 350.
    Beg to differ. Elway lit them up. Hostetler and WV surprised them. Miami was Miami. Any, I repeat any, Switzer D would have won the NC this year.
    The following users like this post: Soonertodd

Originally Posted by Free electron View Post
    Bottom line is, you can't be as unbalanced as OU and win it all. One trick ponies can't win NC. No matter how good you are on offense/defense, your defense/offense need to show up at some point. We all saw how Bama's offense came out of nowhere and beat Georgia in second half. Defense kept in the game, offense won it.

I don't see us winning a playoff game ever as long as Mike running the show on defense.
    Bama might have been shut out if they hadn't switched QB's
    The following users like this post: tennsooner

Originally Posted by soonersorlaters View Post
    The 2000 Oklahoma Defense would like time at the podium please.
    Different era. Ask Mike Stoops.

Originally Posted by NoDNoNatty View Post
    Beg to differ. Elway lit them up. Hostetler and WV surprised them. Miami was Miami. Any, I repeat any, Switzer D would have won the NC this year.

I guess you don't remember John Mazur, Rick McIvor, Hugh Millen, the mighty Todd Hons? Do you remember Todd Hons?

Bottom line, in the entire '80's OU beat two QB's who even had a cup of coffee in the NFL. Those two were Rusty Hilger and David Archer.

Lost to six or so.

Contrast that to the '70s teams that beat a bunch of NFL guys. They beat Ferragamo, Humm, Grogan, Piscarkowiz, Joe Roth, shut down Pat Haden pretty well in a tie. Rarely lost to an NFL guy.

I realize that the '85-'87 teams led the nation in pass D but we didn't really play any passing teams besides Miami.

My point is that Switzer's defense against the pass over the years kind of had the same metamorphosis as Mike Stoops defense against well................everything.
    The following users like this post: SoonerPT

Originally Posted by fmamk View Post
    LOL at anyone that questions Boz or Barry when it comes to an opinion on OU's defense. In code (Boz not so much, he had the balls to tell it like it is) they both said it sucks ass and it doesn't really matter if any of you agree with them. They're right.
    You need Boz or Barry to tell OU's defense wasn't very good this year?
    The following users like this post: tennsooner

Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    At OU, the defense loses championships.
    They didn't lose the games against Florida or LSU...,
    The following users like this post: blackfrancois

When the King speaks you listen Lincoln, make Mike move.

Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    You need Boz or Barry to tell OU's defense wasn't very good this year?
    I don't but many do.

Originally Posted by TahoeSooner View Post
    When the King speaks you listen Lincoln, make Mike move.
    Last time the OU administration listened to Barry they hired John Blake.
    3 users like BoomerBilly's post: acheman8, SoonerPT, tennsooner

Originally Posted by BoomerBilly View Post
    Barry is older and wiser these days.

Originally Posted by BoomerBilly View Post
    Primary reasons we lost the game was two hallmarks of Barry's teams - defense and kicking. The third would be not to panic and keep doing what got you there.
    The following users like this post: Boris Badinov

Originally Posted by Yuck Fu View Post
    I guess you don't remember John Mazur, Rick McIvor, Hugh Millen, the mighty Todd Hons? Do you remember Todd Hons?

Bottom line, in the entire '80's OU beat two QB's who even had a cup of coffee in the NFL. Those two were Rusty Hilger and David Archer.

Lost to six or so.

Contrast that to the '70s teams that beat a bunch of NFL guys. They beat Ferragamo, Humm, Grogan, Piscarkowiz, Joe Roth, shut down Pat Haden pretty well in a tie. Rarely lost to an NFL guy.

I realize that the '85-'87 teams led the nation in pass D but we didn't really play any passing teams besides Miami.

My point is that Switzer's defense against the pass over the years kind of had the same metamorphosis as Mike Stoops defense against well................everything.
    Nope. Don’t remember one of them. Still say Switzer’s shittiest defensive units would have won against Georgia or Alabama. Especially with the type of offensive production we put up on Georgia.
    2 users like NoDNoNatty's post: Boris Badinov, Soonertodd

Originally Posted by ictsooner7 View Post
    Primary reasons we lost the game was two hallmarks of Barry's teams - defense and kicking. The third would be not to panic and keep doing what got you there.
    There was blame to go around on all sides of the ball....14 Offensive plays for 29yds in the 3rd quarter is not going to cut it...Its happened to much...

The article mentions yards allowed to UGA, but UGA allowed almost the exact yardage to OU. And they had a top 5 defense. OU's offense had several chances to win the game in the 4th and OT and didn't get it done. Just as the cliche says - it was a total team loss.

OU gave up a 14 point 2nd half lead to UGA, but UGA game up a 13 point 2nd half lead to Bama - twice. And UGA again has a top 5 defense while Bama's offense was suspect. In both these cases, I'd say a better cliche a team better play the full 60 minutes - winning the first half don't mean squat.
    The following users like this post: blackfrancois

Originally Posted by Breadburner View Post
    There was blame to go around on all sides of the ball....14 Offensive plays for 29yds in the 3rd quarter is not going to cut it...Its happened to much...
    You can blame that on riley. He did the b stoops build a big lead in the first half then try to run out the clock for 30 minutes, trying to hold onto the lead. big game and baby brother have one thing in common - they totally change what they do when they get a "lead". big game loved to change his offense in the second half to try to burn clock and baby brother loves to totally change defenses on third and long. I just don't see they they don't keep doing what got them there.

I want to point out that the best coach in the country trusts a true freshmen who has hardly played at all this year to throw on second and long and riley didn't trust the Heisman trophy winning fifth year senior. It is totally on RILEY.
    The following users like this post: TxTailChaser

He got beat by teams that could throw the ball, Hostetler lit me them up just as bad as Elway.

It's a real simple principle.

On average, when in competition, the easier thing to do has to be done well...because it's the easier thing to do and thus will be done well by most.

For many years the easiest thing to do - by far - was to play fundamental defense. It's easier to pitch than hit in baseball. Most batters fail 75% of the time. A 40% shooter in basketball is a good shooter. Look at scoring in soccer and hockey. And so on.

Defense wins championships because it has always been easier than scoring. More teams will do it well. Therefore, if you don't do it well, it's a detriment relative to the others in the conversation.

Forget bad defense...how many average defenses have won either national titles or Super Bowls? Whatever the number, you can probably not even use one hand to count them. Of course Switzer is right. And of course those who disagree with him don't have a leg to stand on. Obvious point is obvious...average defense and OU would be celebrating our 8th national title. It really is that simple. If you can't understand that, maybe just sit the discussion out.
    4 users like Hamilton's post: Budong, MontyFranklyn, NoDNoNatty, RockFlagandEagle

Originally Posted by SoonerPT View Post
    He got beat by teams that could throw the ball, Hostetler lit me them up just as bad as Elway.
    And any of his defenses, especially combined with offensive production we had this year (couldn’t be running the traditional wishbone) would have beat Geaorgia and/or Alabama.
    2 users like NoDNoNatty's post: Budong, SoonerPT

And any of his defenses, especially combined with offensive production we had this year (couldn’t be running the traditional wishbone) would have beat Geaorgia and/or Alabama.
    I agree 100% but he wouldn't do as well in Big 12 play.

Originally Posted by SoonerPT View Post
    I agree 100% but he wouldn't do as well in Big 12 play.
    It would be interesting to see what the Big 12 looked like today if Switzer had lasted as long as Paterno or Bowden did. I think the conference would look more like the SEC or Big 10. Not the shit show we have now. A stronger ally for Osborne and Nebraska when Texas started ****ing things up. Would have helped if Jones could have turned OSU after probation as well. That would have been three coaches that emphasized D. I just really don’t like Big 12 ball. Would like to see both state schools either get out or try to change the personality of the league.
    2 users like NoDNoNatty's post: Budong, SoonerPT

... more like the SEC or Big 10. Not the shit show we have now... I just really don’t like Big 12 ball. Would like to see both state schools either get out.
    the b1g west sucks as does most of the sec.

the big 12 did well in two straight bowl seasons now.

we've made the playoff two years. we're very close.

but continue to **** and moan. i hear the grass is always greener. just look at a&m and nebraska!

the b1g west sucks as does most of the sec.

the big 12 did well in two straight bowl seasons now.

we've made the playoff two years. we're very close.

but continue to **** and moan. i hear the grass is always greener. just look at a&m and nebraska!
    No. Believe I’ll stick with the likes of Coach Switzer, Jones, Wanstadt, etc. Real sports journalists such as Al Jerkens. And, last but not least, my own two eyes. The only team that comes close to decent tackling in the Big 12 is TCU and they aren’t worth a ****. Big 12 teams will continue to win meaningless bowls against 2nd rate competition, and will continue to be a joke to the rest of the country. If one Big 12 power team would take the time to develop defensive depth and focus on that aspect of the game they would eventually establish dominance and be competitive in bowls that matter.

It’s real simple. Slow the ****ing game down. Control possession of the ball. And, for ****’s sake tackle somebody.

Unless the 4 team playoff evolves to flag football, OU doesn’t have a ****ing shot the way they play D.
    2 users like NoDNoNatty's post: Budong, manateepower