Dumb new proposal to be heard by OSSAA

Posted 19 day(s) ago by soonergrad6586 Views 240 Replies
Results 201 to 241 of 241
Page 5 of 5 3 4 5
  1. #201
    Originally Posted by buffalobill989 View Post
    This is interesting. Union is putting a $129m bond issue up to vote today to do what??? Renovate their football stadium! They tagged it to a nice little feel good project of improving the fine arts building as well... But I can only imagine where the lion share of that cash is going.

    Tell me more about why we need to relegate Private and Magnet schools to their own divisions?

    Union Schools Bond Issue

    with 3 kids that go union schools yes this bond issue is doing alot of athlethics upgrades. but look at how many bond issues the union school district has passed in recent years to do alot for the kids in education. people that say is all they do is dump money in sports is just ignorant. my dad was a teacher in tps for 30 years and couldnt get shit done. you could pass any bond issue in union because union does a shitload for the kids.
    ----Catoosa schools went to a 4 day week-----But they were able to find the money to upgrade some athletic facilities

  2. #202
    buffalobill989's Avatar
    Posts
    7
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    outside your moms window

    have you seen those facilities? they needed some upgrades. my point was union does what it takes for everything. there's never a bond that doesn't pass. doesn't matter what it's for. don't think you can compare catoosa to union. my point was more for tps. catoosa is a diffenet animal. they did find a way to do it to. tps can't figure out shit. would you rather have your kids goto catoosa or union?

  3. #203
    Originally Posted by REDREX View Post
    ----Catoosa schools went to a 4 day week-----But they were able to find the money to upgrade some athletic facilities
    When we looked at moving to Newcastle, similar situation. Super nice football facility...can’t afford to have school open 5 days/week.

  4. #204
    Originally Posted by J85allen View Post
    When we looked at moving to Newcastle, similar situation. Super nice football facility...can’t afford to have school open 5 days/week.
    Do what a lot of people d P.O. from Newcastle, goldsby, and Washington - live where you want and take advantage of Norman’s lax transfer policy.

  5. #205
    Stinger_1066's Avatar
    Posts
    39,692
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    On the golf course

    The 4-day school week is an interesting concept.

    I spoke to a teacher from Coyle about it. She said the kids behaved better and made better grades after they went to a 4-day week.

    Another concept I like is "year round calendar". OKCPS is on that plan. 2 weeks for both spring and fall break. 3 weeks for Christmas. 7 weeks in summer.

    Being married to a teacher, it is nice to be able to take a spring or fall trip that overlaps a weekend.
    2 users like Stinger_1066's post: Bob, Clark W. Griswold


  6. #206
    Originally Posted by Stinger_1066 View Post
    The 4-day school week is an interesting concept.

    I spoke to a teacher from Coyle about it. She said the kids behaved better and made better grades after they went to a 4-day week.

    Another concept I like is "year round calendar". OKCPS is on that plan. 2 weeks for both spring and fall break. 3 weeks for Christmas. 7 weeks in summer.

    Being married to a teacher, it is nice to be able to take a spring or fall trip that overlaps a weekend.
    I’ve never really understood why we had a huge summer break anyway. Seemed like a good way to have your brain dump everything you learned in the toilet.

    I’m with you on the 4 day school week being interesting and maybe we should research it more. I think there is a saturation point where the kids are so overloaded that they aren’t going to retain any new information. For example, at my kids previous elementary, school went from 7:45-3:45, they had one 20 minute recess, they didn’t have gym or music everyday (they rotated and only had one of them per day) and they wondered why they had behavior problems across the school. Kids have a ton of energy. They aren’t meant to sit in a chair, listen, and not socialize for 40 hours/week. Kids aren’t adults or robots.

    Anyway, I’m all for non traditional research on education. I think experimenting with year round schooling (with more breaks like you said) could be really good.
    The following users like this post: Stinger_1066


  7. #207
    Originally Posted by REDREX View Post
    ----Catoosa schools went to a 4 day week-----But they were able to find the money to upgrade some athletic facilities
    Meanwhile nearby Pryor doesn't have any state funding issues thanks to Google http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/educa...0269c4336.html

  8. #208
    Originally Posted by Stinger_1066 View Post
    The 4-day school week is an interesting concept.

    I spoke to a teacher from Coyle about it. She said the kids behaved better and made better grades after they went to a 4-day week.

    Another concept I like is "year round calendar". OKCPS is on that plan. 2 weeks for both spring and fall break. 3 weeks for Christmas. 7 weeks in summer.

    Being married to a teacher, it is nice to be able to take a spring or fall trip that overlaps a weekend.
    And not being married to a teacher makes this a daycare nightmare for parents.....

  9. #209
    SoonerKA1999's Avatar
    Posts
    1,227
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Tulsa, OK USA

    Originally Posted by SoonersGiantsMetsThunderBruinsLiverpool View Post
    And according to statistics in Oklahoma, many bachelors degree holding people won’t either, so I gues I’m missing your point.

    Are going to complain that we are losing sales/IT/engineering students to surrounding states (because we do at the same % or greater), or are we going to focus on the actual issue - which is an over abundance of administration. I hate to break to to you, in Oklahoma most fresh out of workforce isn’t starting out at over $40k, in any industry....so why is it we are hung up on teachers getting that?
    Nailed it! And I totally agree because I lived it. Never thought of it this way, but you're right.
    The following users like this post: SoonersGiantsMetsThunderBruinsLiverpool


  10. #210
    Originally Posted by J85allen View Post
    When we looked at moving to Newcastle, similar situation. Super nice football facility...can’t afford to have school open 5 days/week.
    I lived their 8 years. Dont do it.

  11. #211
    Newcastle parent of 2

    I hated the 4 day school week when it was first proposed. It isn’t a money saver - out of a $12M budget, we save about $150,000 a year. It’s more to attract teachers. So I wasn’t happy it was couched as a cost savings when the facts don’t support that.

    After a year and half, I love it. We can get away at noon on Friday (when my wife closes her clinic) and be as far as KC by dinner. I don’t have to spend 5 days getting the kids to school on time. The cost? Negligible in my opinion. A hundred dollars or so more a month for the Friday program added to the after school program. The kids like it. They aren’t compromised. It’s been a good deal. Lest you forget Newcastle has year round, all day Pre K for residents as a trade off.

    As a dye in the wool skeptic, don’t knock it until you try it.

    Unrelated - it would take me 30 minutes plus to get my kids to Norman schools from our house in Newcastle.

  12. #212
    Originally Posted by Bruno Gianelli View Post
    Newcastle parent of 2

    I hated the 4 day school week when it was first proposed. It isn’t a money saver - out of a $12M budget, we save about $150,000 a year. It’s more to attract teachers. So I wasn’t happy it was couched as a cost savings when the facts don’t support that.

    After a year and half, I love it. We can get away at noon on Friday (when my wife closes her clinic) and be as far as KC by dinner. I don’t have to spend 5 days getting the kids to school on time. The cost? Negligible in my opinion. A hundred dollars or so more a month for the Friday program added to the after school program. The kids like it. They aren’t compromised. It’s been a good deal. Lest you forget Newcastle has year round, all day Pre K for residents as a trade off.

    As a dye in the wool skeptic, don’t knock it until you try it.

    Unrelated - it would take me 30 minutes plus to get my kids to Norman schools from our house in Newcastle.
    Interesting. I’m all for trying new things especially in education. I do think kids in elementary school now are lacking the social and other developmental aspects that are crucial for happiness and overall success in life. The teachers are getting these mandatory test scores pushed on them and they feel like they have to have the kids sitting at a desk all day so they can get their STARR (in Texas) score right. A little less school might make them better students in the long run. Seems counterintuitive but IMO true.

  13. #213
    Originally Posted by Stinger_1066 View Post
    The 4-day school week is an interesting concept.

    I spoke to a teacher from Coyle about it. She said the kids behaved better and made better grades after they went to a 4-day week.

    Another concept I like is "year round calendar". OKCPS is on that plan. 2 weeks for both spring and fall break. 3 weeks for Christmas. 7 weeks in summer.

    Being married to a teacher, it is nice to be able to take a spring or fall trip that overlaps a weekend.
    I think OKC schools is abandoning the year round calendar, possibly this is the last year of it.

  14. #214
    The nice little fine Arts part of Union bond package includes six new rooms for the band and the band can walk out their door and onto the field. Union is going to redo the home side of the stadium and build a new press box. The stadium is 40 years old and doesn't have a bathroom and doesn't have an elevator in the press box. Handicapped workers can't work in the press box. The band gets every cent of concessions from football games, grade 8-12. Of course the high school band marches 285 students and that doesn't include the flag girls. Union schools is run by the band.

    Catoosa spent their bond money on their press box because bond money can't be spent on teacher's salaries. It has to be spent on brick and motar projects.

    Union tried year round school twenty years ago and their scores were went down so they dropped it because of that and lack of student participation in the program.

    Starting teachers in Oklahoma starting salary is $31,600 not 40,000. My wife has taught special education for 12 years and her salary is $37,000 a year with a 5% bump because of teaching special education. Many of her friends are now teaching in Arkansas, living together in an apartment, and driving home to Tulsa Friday night. They are making $20,000 a year more. The cost of living in Rogers Arkansas isn't more than Tulsa. Starting salaries in the area north of Dallas is $51,000 with a signing bonus of $3,000 for teaching science, math, special education or speaking Spanish. You can make $50,000 a year in the Tulsa area with a Masters and 30 years experience. Quite a difference.
    The following users like this post: soonergrad


  15. #215
    Originally Posted by SoonerRocky View Post
    The nice little fine Arts part of Union bond package includes six new rooms for the band and the band can walk out their door and onto the field. Union is going to redo the home side of the stadium and build a new press box. The stadium is 40 years old and doesn't have a bathroom and doesn't have an elevator in the press box. Handicapped workers can't work in the press box. The band gets every cent of concessions from football games, grade 8-12. Of course the high school band marches 285 students and that doesn't include the flag girls. Union schools is run by the band.

    Catoosa spent their bond money on their press box because bond money can't be spent on teacher's salaries. It has to be spent on brick and motar projects.

    Union tried year round school twenty years ago and their scores were went down so they dropped it because of that and lack of student participation in the program.

    Starting teachers in Oklahoma starting salary is $31,600 not 40,000. My wife has taught special education for 12 years and her salary is $37,000 a year with a 5% bump because of teaching special education. Many of her friends are now teaching in Arkansas, living together in an apartment, and driving home to Tulsa Friday night. They are making $20,000 a year more. The cost of living in Rogers Arkansas isn't more than Tulsa. Starting salaries in the area north of Dallas is $51,000 with a signing bonus of $3,000 for teaching science, math, special education or speaking Spanish. You can make $50,000 a year in the Tulsa area with a Masters and 30 years experience. Quite a difference.
    ----Catoosa sold some property and that money could have been used to keep the schools open 5 days a week ----They chose not to do so

  16. #216
    Originally Posted by REDREX View Post
    ----Catoosa sold some property and that money could have been used to keep the schools open 5 days a week ----They chose not to do so
    Newcastle kind of led the charge on this for schools 4A plus. They didn’t go to 5 days for the same reasons Newcastle stayed at 4 days.

  17. #217
    Originally Posted by REDREX View Post
    ----Catoosa sold some property and that money could have been used to keep the schools open 5 days a week ----They chose not to do so
    How many years would have that money kept the schools open for five days? Not very long. Frank Keating, a former governor, didn't even know you couldn't spend bond money for teacher's salaries in one of his articles in the paper. HE might be dumber than Queen Mary ha

  18. #218
    Originally Posted by SoonerRocky View Post
    How many years would have that money kept the schools open for five days? Not very long. Frank Keating, a former governor, didn't even know you couldn't spend bond money for teacher's salaries in one of his articles in the paper. HE might be dumber than Queen Mary ha
    ---4 day weeks are looking at saving money on school operations-----I believe it was $600,000-----I think it would have lasted a while

  19. #219
    DrBrizzle's Avatar
    Posts
    1,086
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Drilling teeth...

    Fine with me. I always think it’s funny how Heritage Hall, which costs over $12,000 a year always has a couple stud African American players they deemed were worthy of an “academic” scholarship. Total BS. They were brought in to win football games. It’s their way of buying championships.

  20. #220
    How much did Catoosa receive in payment of the land? Because of state law, what can that money be used for? Also, turf football fields save the districts money. You don't have to water, mow, sod every year, or spray the fields. It is a one time expense with a warranty that replaces any bad spots free. Of course, OSU probably stills waters their turf to help it grow.

  21. #221
    Heritage Hall recruits more than any school in the state. Sterling Shepard went there and Barry Sanders Jr.

  22. #222
    I was at a Cascia Hall Basketball game about two weeks ago------They really need to pick up their recruiting they are 4-20 ------- But remember they have all the advantages of being a Private School right ?
    2 users like REDREX's post: MichSooner, soonergrad


  23. #223
    Every private school isn't good at every sport surely you realize that. Just like Jenks and Union aren't good in every sports since you like to bring up Jenks and Union. Their boys basketball team hasn't been any good for a couple of years. Their coach has mailed it in. They got beat by Regent that has 97 kids in the top four grades. I hope you aren't going to cherry pick a few sports to try and prove your point.

    When my oldest son was in 8th grade, a Kelley rep called our house and wanted us to come to an open house. We had never contacted them and I told him we were Lutheran. He told me we had six months to convert and the cost would drop $1,000 a year. It was $5,400 a year then. Since we were not in the TPS school district, which is Kelley's district, they would write a letter for us so he would be eligible to play the next year. Otherwise, he would have to sit out a year of sports without the letter. They wrote the letter for one of his friends and he was eligible to play as a freshman.

  24. #224
    Originally Posted by REDREX View Post
    ---4 day weeks are looking at saving money on school operations-----I believe it was $600,000-----I think it would have lasted a while
    As I mentioned above, Newcastle saves about 1.3% of its budget by going to 4 days. The savings is very little and not the primary motivation.

  25. #225
    Originally Posted by Bruno Gianelli View Post
    As I mentioned above, Newcastle saves about 1.3% of its budget by going to 4 days. The savings is very little and not the primary motivation.
    What's the primary motivation?
    The following users like this post: REDREX


  26. #226
    Originally Posted by Bruno Gianelli View Post
    As I mentioned above, Newcastle saves about 1.3% of its budget by going to 4 days. The savings is very little and not the primary motivation.
    ----What is ?

  27. #227
    Sorry guys - took me a second.

    It’s 2 fold - rentention and recruitment of teachers and galvanizing the parent base to push for increased funding at the state level.
    2 users like Bruno Gianelli's post: 1stTimeCaller, Coach


  28. #228
    Originally Posted by SoonerRocky View Post
    Every private school isn't good at every sport surely you realize that. Just like Jenks and Union aren't good in every sports since you like to bring up Jenks and Union. Their boys basketball team hasn't been any good for a couple of years. Their coach has mailed it in. They got beat by Regent that has 97 kids in the top four grades. I hope you aren't going to cherry pick a few sports to try and prove your point.

    When my oldest son was in 8th grade, a Kelley rep called our house and wanted us to come to an open house. We had never contacted them and I told him we were Lutheran. He told me we had six months to convert and the cost would drop $1,000 a year. It was $5,400 a year then. Since we were not in the TPS school district, which is Kelley's district, they would write a letter for us so he would be eligible to play the next year. Otherwise, he would have to sit out a year of sports without the letter. They wrote the letter for one of his friends and he was eligible to play as a freshman.
    ---
    I believe you can come from any district to a private school as long as you start in the 9th grade-----------Also If Cascia Hall truly recruited they would not be 4-20-----I am sure some of the good northside players would love to go there if all those schollys private schools give out were available to them----Well maybe they are not that available--------Food for thought

  29. #229
    No, private schools have districts just like public schools where the student can come in 9th grade and be immediately eligible, but if you aren't in the district you sit. Union and Jenks kids sit for a year unless they prove they belong to certain church faith. Cascia starts school in 7th grade so they can get them in school early and establish their residency. The Cascia 8th grader that is such a stud will make their basketball team much better next year unless he goes to BTW. Once again you are cherry picking one sport.

    If you want to see recruiting, go to the Junior high Catholic basketball league and see the private high school coaches at the games.

  30. #230
    I was offered “scholarships” to two different private schools in Tulsa over 20 years ago.

    This is not a new process.

  31. #231
    Originally Posted by SoonerRocky View Post
    The nice little fine Arts part of Union bond package includes six new rooms for the band and the band can walk out their door and onto the field. Union is going to redo the home side of the stadium and build a new press box. The stadium is 40 years old and doesn't have a bathroom and doesn't have an elevator in the press box. Handicapped workers can't work in the press box. The band gets every cent of concessions from football games, grade 8-12. Of course the high school band marches 285 students and that doesn't include the flag girls. Union schools is run by the band.

    Catoosa spent their bond money on their press box because bond money can't be spent on teacher's salaries. It has to be spent on brick and motar projects.

    Union tried year round school twenty years ago and their scores were went down so they dropped it because of that and lack of student participation in the program.

    Starting teachers in Oklahoma starting salary is $31,600 not 40,000. My wife has taught special education for 12 years and her salary is $37,000 a year with a 5% bump because of teaching special education. Many of her friends are now teaching in Arkansas, living together in an apartment, and driving home to Tulsa Friday night. They are making $20,000 a year more. The cost of living in Rogers Arkansas isn't more than Tulsa. Starting salaries in the area north of Dallas is $51,000 with a signing bonus of $3,000 for teaching science, math, special education or speaking Spanish. You can make $50,000 a year in the Tulsa area with a Masters and 30 years experience. Quite a difference.
    Regarding bond money, it is true it can't be spent on teacher salaries. At Bartlesville, the schools were all at expanded and remodeled to proper size and facilities are excellent for academic performance despite the average building being almost 40 years old. Bond money could have been spent on a press box but instead was most recently spent on chrome books for each child to replace text books that wear out and other operating expense items. Chrome books wear out or break so there is an elective for high school kids "Chrome Book Repair", for example. Anyway, this means state money goes almost exclusively to teacher salaries and to create a cash reserve for the legislature's poor funding. In other words, a district can spend bond money on stuff besides brick and mortar. I would hope that Catoosa or any district is not just requesting bond money to spend on more and more frills with the rationale that, "passing this will not result in a tax increase."
    Personally, I think that some voters/district patrons may not feel good about pushing for teacher raises because they see elaborate athletic facilities and sparkling new buildings. A five game regular season needs a Taj Majal of a football stadium with a video board the size of a FBS college? Union needs a 6.000 seat basketball arena with all the frills of a new D1 or NBA building when only a 1,000 fans attend a game? To the uninformed district patron, everything is hunky dory and there is plenty of money because they see elablorate video boards, press boxes, arena type scoreboards in the gym (I mean, arena) et al at the local school yard.

  32. #232
    Almost all of the B'ville schools are more than 40 years old and B'ville is lucky to have Phillips spent so much money to help the district fund so many things. Not every school district is so lucky. I guess the Bruins should go back to playing their basketball games at the old gym instead of their newer one which is much nicer. Maybe B'ville should do a better job of vetting their coaches and they wouldn't have to fire their head football coach during the season for drinking in a school vehicle.

    Union's arena is used more for crafts shows, cross fit contests, health fairs and other community activities than just basketball games. You need to attend games in bigger cities in Arkansas or Texas and you will see much newer and better facilities than at Union, Jenks, BA or Owasso and their teachers make much more money than teachers in Oklahoma. Union's stadium is almost 40 years old and needs a lot of work done to it.

  33. #233
    Originally Posted by SoonerRocky View Post
    Almost all of the B'ville schools are more than 40 years old and B'ville is lucky to have Phillips spent so much money to help the district fund so many things. Not every school district is so lucky. I guess the Bruins should go back to playing their basketball games at the old gym instead of their newer one which is much nicer. Maybe B'ville should do a better job of vetting their coaches and they wouldn't have to fire their head football coach during the season for drinking in a school vehicle.

    Union's arena is used more for crafts shows, cross fit contests, health fairs and other community activities than just basketball games. You need to attend games in bigger cities in Arkansas or Texas and you will see much newer and better facilities than at Union, Jenks, BA or Owasso and their teachers make much more money than teachers in Oklahoma. Union's stadium is almost 40 years old and needs a lot of work done to it.
    Are you saying a Bartlesville coach had a history of drinking in school vehicles and the school didn't call references to find this info out? How do you know about this coaches history?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  34. #234
    Regarding bond money, it is true it can't be spent on teacher salaries.
    Bond money can’t be used for operating costs period. That is statutory - hell, I think it’s in the OK constitution.

    That is one of the things I would push to change at the legislative level - allow school districts and their residents to tax/bond themselves for anything related to education, including operating costs.
    The following users like this post: Bob


  35. #235
    That is why the head football coach was fired during the year.

  36. #236
    The Bruins played in the old gym just two weeks ago. Clent Stewart loves the place. Packed and loud as usual.

  37. #237
    Originally Posted by SoonerRocky View Post
    Almost all of the B'ville schools are more than 40 years old and B'ville is lucky to have Phillips spent so much money to help the district fund so many things. Not every school district is so lucky. I guess the Bruins should go back to playing their basketball games at the old gym instead of their newer one which is much nicer. Maybe B'ville should do a better job of vetting their coaches and they wouldn't have to fire their head football coach during the season for drinking in a school vehicle.

    Union's arena is used more for crafts shows, cross fit contests, health fairs and other community activities than just basketball games. You need to attend games in bigger cities in Arkansas or Texas and you will see much newer and better facilities than at Union, Jenks, BA or Owasso and their teachers make much more money than teachers in Oklahoma. Union's stadium is almost 40 years old and needs a lot of work done to it.
    Yes, they should. The coach was promptly fired after a quick but thorough investigation.

  38. #238
    Originally Posted by SoonerRocky View Post
    That is why the head football coach was fired during the year.
    Unless he's done this before how would they have vetted him for that?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The following users like this post: MichSooner


  39. #239
    Originally Posted by SoonerRocky View Post
    The nice little fine Arts part of Union bond package includes six new rooms for the band and the band can walk out their door and onto the field. Union is going to redo the home side of the stadium and build a new press box. The stadium is 40 years old and doesn't have a bathroom and doesn't have an elevator in the press box. Handicapped workers can't work in the press box. The band gets every cent of concessions from football games, grade 8-12. Of course the high school band marches 285 students and that doesn't include the flag girls. Union schools is run by the band.

    Catoosa spent their bond money on their press box because bond money can't be spent on teacher's salaries. It has to be spent on brick and motar projects.

    Union tried year round school twenty years ago and their scores were went down so they dropped it because of that and lack of student participation in the program.

    Starting teachers in Oklahoma starting salary is $31,600 not 40,000. My wife has taught special education for 12 years and her salary is $37,000 a year with a 5% bump because of teaching special education. Many of her friends are now teaching in Arkansas, living together in an apartment, and driving home to Tulsa Friday night. They are making $20,000 a year more. The cost of living in Rogers Arkansas isn't more than Tulsa. Starting salaries in the area north of Dallas is $51,000 with a signing bonus of $3,000 for teaching science, math, special education or speaking Spanish. You can make $50,000 a year in the Tulsa area with a Masters and 30 years experience. Quite a difference.
    & this is the ONLY reason why we left Oklahoma 15 yrs ago, & came to Texas to teach/coach.

  40. #240
    Originally Posted by Bruno Gianelli View Post
    Bond money can’t be used for operating costs period. That is statutory - hell, I think it’s in the OK constitution.

    That is one of the things I would push to change at the legislative level - allow school districts and their residents to tax/bond themselves for anything related to education, including operating costs.
    From the Bartlesville Public Schools most recent bond proposal FAQ page :

    There is a common misunderstanding that bonds are only used for construction of facilities. Bond funds can be used to purchase any asset utilized by the school system. Bonds cannot, however, be used to pay salaries or other types of expenses not related to tangible assets.

    By using bond money to purchase various assets utilized by the school system (text books, computers, chrome books, busses, for example), money is not taken from the General Fund. The General Fund is the only fund which may be used for teacher salaries. In the past, those "various assets utilized by the school system" were purchased from the General Fund, too. Once the buildings were brought up to speed (including a 100 year old middle school), bond funds were utilized for "other assets" which increased money devoted to teacher salaries simply because the General Fund was not used to also pay for "other assets". Consequently, despite receiving less money from the state even though there were more students enrolled, fewer teachers were terminated. Edmond, Union, BA, Norman and many other districts also purchase assets with bond money rather than from the General Fund as much as possible to reserve the General Fund for salaries.

    https://sites.google.com/a/bps-ok.or...eepingteachers

  41. #241
    The old gym has more dead spots now than it did in the 60's. Too bad the Bruins stink, even though Clent is a very good coach. Don't know about the other schools listed but Union didn't terminate any teachers because so many moved to Arkansas for a $20,000 a year raise, retired or simply chose another profession. Union also had more students this year than last year. I am interested, look up the two salaries schedules and compare the teacher pay. Union always gives a 5% stipend at the end of the year so you have to add that to the salary schedule. B'ville is a good system but loses teachers to Kansas and Missouri each year because of poor pay. Good swimming teams and cross country but the rest of their sports struggle. Murphy's is the best place to eat.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: September 7th, 2016, 08:00 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: June 4th, 2016, 09:00 AM
  3. Got a question about OSSAA eligibility
    By traxx in forum The Pub
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: February 20th, 2014, 01:16 PM
  4. Best Proposal Ever
    By SoonerBounce in forum The Pub
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: January 15th, 2013, 06:20 AM

Tags for this Thread