The meltdown of Oklahoma Basketball

Posted 9 day(s) ago 3092 Views 98 Replies
Page 1 of 2 1 2

The meltdown of Oklahoma Basketball

Can anyone explain what has happened over the last 12 games? This team was once #4 and severely overrated apparently lol...

1. We don't play defense.
    2. We don't have talent that can consistently shoot well.
    3. We aren't a "team", we are a "what's in it for me?" group of individuals.
    4. We don't like each other.

Mix all that together and this is what you get. Put some TNT in the program and blow it the hell up.

The talent is very bad on this team besides the freshman and James. Poorly coached as well.
    5 users like dabears's post: cbsooner, CNCSOONER, LindaSoundtrak, sooner68, stewy

Looking back, I don’t see a meltdown. I see an average team that relied on one great player. Once opponents adjusted their game plan to slow down Young, this is what we look like. We have been highly overrated and just like the stock market, corrections are being made to put this team where they belong. I’ll admit I was wrong. I thought we’d be a lock for the tourney. Nope. I thought Young would easily land the Wooden. Nope. Absolutely no excuse whatsoever to lose to ISU after dropping several straight on the road. Shows it’s not a fluke and that we just aren’t good.

They do not play good fundamentals basketball, lack good talent and are poorly coached. That is what happens when you hire someone at the end of their career. All Lon is doing is collecting a check. Time for a change.
    4 users like LindaSoundtrak's post: BobStoopsGinger, Boomer6671, stewy, thunderclapnewman53

Originally Posted by LindaSoundtrak View Post
    They do not play good fundamentals basketball, lack good talent and are poorly coached. That is what happens when you hire someone at the end of their career. All Lon is doing is collecting a check. Time for a change.
    stick to selling electronics linda......you know squat about anything else..
    2 users like 87sooner's post: Mongo, Pokerman

I would wager I have followed OU basketball a hell of a lot longer than you. Shut your pie hole.

I would wager I have followed OU basketball a hell of a lot longer than you. Shut your pie hole.
    you may have.....but you still know squat....
    The following users like this post: cbsooner

Don't argue with the resident dipshit.
    It'll only make the rest of us see him posting more. And we don't need that.

Lon hired poorly when he had to replace his long time assistant coach two years ago. Don’t remember the name. When will Joe C put the hammer down and not allow friends and family plan coaching. Your only as good as your assistants just ask Bob Stoops. Always been a huge Lon fan, but I believe it’s time for a change.
    6 users like CNCSOONER's post: Bk2X, Boomer6671, LindaSoundtrak, sooner68, stewy, thunderclapnewman53

Originally Posted by laxtothemax12 View Post
    Can anyone explain what has happened over the last 12 games? This team was once #4 and severely overrated apparently lol...
    Teams got physical with Trae, which made him play worse. OU running a ball screen for Trae, now gets doubled, which forces it out of his hands, and teams know that Manek can shoot, so they don't leave him open anymore. The rest of the team struggles to score. So with that, OU struggles on offense, and then defensively, this team was never any good. People have short term memory if they don't realize how fast our double digit leads evaporated against USC, WSU, etc. when we could run an offense.

So basically, we struggle on offense, which leads to terrible defense. And even if we play decent on offense, our defense has never been good. So OU's been solved, and there's not much of an answer to fix it because we always relied on 1 man. Trae has a usage of over 50%, take him away, OU loses. That's also why his turnovers have increased per game.
    6 users like chsguy2013's post: BehindEnemyLines, Bk2X, IndySooner, OU812, pphilfran, ScottsdaleSooner

Terrible defense
    Poor effort
    Poor leadership(players)

Sent from my LG-K428 using Tapatalk

Originally Posted by 87sooner View Post
    you may have.....but you still know squat....
    Says the guy that sees multiple NBA players on this team that has lost 6 of the last 8...L...O...L
    7 users like laxtothemax12's post: LindaSoundtrak, No19Sooner, OU812, RockE, sooner68, Soonerjeepman, YellowShoeSooner

1. Lost on defense
    2. Needless turnovers

There is work to do on the offensive end but most games, there’s someone at least trying to be a workable #2 scorer. That’s been Odomes, James, Manek, even Lattin once or twice. The FG % hasn’t been bad enough to justify a train wreck like this—the Final Four team had games where they shot worse than we have on this skid. But the defense, especially against the 3, has been lazy and ineffective. Anyone who needs a big 3 late is going to get a perfect look, like today. Poor defense forces fewer misses and turnovers, which is why transition points are a rarity. Meanwhile, we hemorrhage possessions every imaginable way. Kicked balls, drives into trouble, passing out of control, whatever...we do it all. Nobody but Trae, Shepherd, and maybe Odomes should ever attempt to put the basketball on the floor.

Trae is the only thing saving the team from Kansas football levels of suck, but he isn’t ready to lead a tournament team. He gets flustered, rushes, takes unnecessary risks, and (for valid reasons) doesn’t play defense. It’s really hard for a true freshman playing that way to lead his teammates to play under control and make an effort on defense.
    3 users like AppalachianSooner's post: northspeter, RockE, tooslow

Originally Posted by CNCSOONER View Post
    Lon hired poorly when he had to replace his long time assistant coach two years ago. Don’t remember the name. When will Joe C put the hammer down and not allow friends and family plan coaching. Your only as good as your assistants just ask Bob Stoops. Always been a huge Lon fan, but I believe it’s time for a change.
    Yeah, it is a risk to hire a family member and if you do, he better deliver. Patty G brought her son aboard but softball is a bit different and Patty G. had a lot of equity built up and she and her son have delivered.

Originally Posted by chsguy2013 View Post
    Teams got physical with Trae, which made him play worse. OU running a ball screen for Trae, now gets doubled, which forces it out of his hands, and teams know that Manek can shoot, so they don't leave him open anymore. The rest of the team struggles to score. So with that, OU struggles on offense, and then defensively, this team was never any good. People have short term memory if they don't realize how fast our double digit leads evaporated against USC, WSU, etc. when we could run an offense.

So basically, we struggle on offense, which leads to terrible defense. And even if we play decent on offense, our defense has never been good. So OU's been solved, and there's not much of an answer to fix it because we always relied on 1 man. Trae has a usage of over 50%, take him away, OU loses. That's also why his turnovers have increased per game.
    There is no reason for our defense to be as poor as it is. I cannot believe that D1 players cannot at least figure out how to overplay a dribbler slightly to his strong hand side. It blows my mind how we cannot stop a right handed dribbler going to his right. We just sort of follow him as he drives to the basket.

We rarely take charges even though other teams get them against us all the time. We give up the base line drive all the time instead of forcing a guy to drive to the top of the key.

Fundamentally, our defense is weak. I am not saying that we would ever be great heads up man to man, but we would be better just with a few simple concepts being employed. And if we simply cannot play man to man, THEN LON SHOULD SIMPLY PLAY ZONE AND FORCE TEAMS TO SHOOT FROM THE OUTSIDE ALL GAME LONG WITHOUT GETTING ALL THE EASY DRIVES.
    The following users like this post: RockE

I agree we were pretty much backed into a courner to hire Lon and we overpaid for what we got but we had went cheap with hiring Jeff Capel and it cost us so we tried to make it up by hiring Lon. I really am not understanding how you can go from a final four team one year to finishing 8 or 9 in the Big 12 the next Lon needs to make some changes but I'm not sure if he cares enough to make the tough decisions and also to recruit better.

Originally Posted by 87sooner View Post
    stick to selling electronics linda......you know squat about anything else..
    Feeling angry 87?

Same team that the "irrational" "negative nancies" (as opined by the sunshine pumpers) pointed out when winning at WSU and USC.

They are soft as hell, undisciplined and lazy. The Blutarsky's of the Big XII
    2 users like Soonerinsocal's post: BobStoopsGinger, laxtothemax12

Lon is doing a great job. Its not his fault they are a disaster!
    3 users like No19Sooner's post: BobStoopsGinger, Pokerman, RockE

Sherri Coale or Lon Kruger?

Who is doing a better job this season?

It’s so disappointing that we have recruited so poorly after buddy’s team graduated. Outside of TY, this team shouldn’t be this bad.
    4 users like OU812's post: BobStoopsGinger, laxtothemax12, No19Sooner, sooner68

Originally Posted by No19Sooner View Post

2 users like YellowShoeSooner's post: BobStoopsGinger, No19Sooner

If OU makes the NCAAs or failing that Trae stays for a soph year(not much chance) Lon gets another year or 2.
    If neither of the above happens and next year OU goes back to 12-20 it's time for Lon to retire. And he might not get that year.
    Was he realistically thinking his son was going to be the coach after him ala Bobby Knight at Taco Tech?
    He's cleaned up the Capel mess and got us to a Final 4. But in D1 football, coaches have been fired a few years after WINNING a Natty.

mike stoops...
    2 users like Soonerjeepman's post: laxtothemax12, No19Sooner

Flip a coin
    3 users like uhlesses's post: BobStoopsGinger, No19Sooner, YellowShoeSooner

Originally Posted by thunderclapnewman53 View Post
    I really am not understanding how you can go from a final four team one year to finishing 8 or 9 in the Big 12 the next.
    buddy stuck around for his senior year. or we don't even get that far.

he, cousins and spangler all became pros.

hield, cousins, and woodard are all in the sooner record books for their 3-point shooting.

they leave and we drop off.

it's pretty straightforward.
    4 users like blackfrancois's post: chsguy2013, CorySooner, Mongo, YellowShoeSooner

w bball
    13-12/8-6 with 4 left
    2 home tt/isu both really bad
    2 road wv/ut ut ranked top 10 wv better record and OU won in Norman

prob better chance they finish 10-8 in league than not

m bball
    16-8/6-6
    3 home ksu/isu/ut
    3 road ku/tt/bu
    ku is ku, tt just beat ksu by 20 in manhattan, bu beat ku today.
    The following users like this post: No19Sooner

Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post

hield, cousins, and woodard are all in the sooner record books for their 3-point shooting.

cousins and spangler are in the nba? cool good for them
    2 users like Soonerjeepman's post: BobStoopsGinger, laxtothemax12

The reason why we are losing is because our defense is non existent. Manek is the worst defender out of the bunch. They need to play zone because they can not out athlete teams. Coaching defense isn’t happening right now and what coaching that is ........ they just refuse to do it until they are behind. Manek shouldn’t even be on the floor for road games.....just a waste of shots and his offensive assignment just blows by him regardless of where he’s at. How to fix the offense .... is to fix the defense trust me. This team isn’t NCAA tournament quality and even though they have beaten some decent teams they will lose early maybe first round if they make the tournament..... and for those who are thinking we are in..., think again we have a lot of bad losses now.

Originally Posted by Soonerjeepman View Post
    cousins and spangler are in the nba?
    i can't tell you how many professional leagues there are on earth, but it's more than one.

sorry if that spoils your sharp, hot takes.
    4 users like blackfrancois's post: BOOMER10, CorySooner, gratefulRed, SixBean

C'mon, man, he didn't say that and you know it. The talent now might be better slightly better (on paper) but the leadership is much, much worse. Those guys knew their roles about as well as any Sooner team I've ever seen and this team has absolutely no one that the players can get behind and follow.
    3 users like RockE's post: CorySooner, thunderclapnewman53, YellowShoeSooner

really its not I watched Billy Tubbs have great players play for him and moved on and he always seemed able to reload there's no reason for Lon to allow the program to slip this far down other then he's just not getting it done anymore
    The following users like this post: BobStoopsGinger

Dude, seriously STFU. The more you talk the more stupid shit comes out of your mouth. There is no reason for OU to only win 10-11 games a season. OU basketball should be better than that. Kruger is pissing on that legacy. For 2.5 million a year.

3 users like WFSooner's post: BobStoopsGinger, laxtothemax12, No19Sooner

No, Spangler plays for the Toshiba Kawasaki Brave Thunders B league team.

Billy Tubbs ... always seemed able to reload.
    doolittle, freeman, and mcgusty haven't panned out. i don't know who you blame.

tubbs and OU were pretty big fish in big 8 hoops. i think the big 12 has changed our relevance a lot.

This team is falling off a cliff and idk if we can resurrect a great start to the year...
    The following users like this post: BobStoopsGinger

doolittle, freeman, and mcgusty haven't panned out. i don't know who you blame.

tubbs and OU were pretty big fish in big 8 hoops. i think the big 12 has changed our relevance a lot.
    Who do you blame? Kruger. Coaching. Develop these guys...****in coach some instead of just sit there and pat ISU’s guys on the back heading into the locker room.
    The following users like this post: thunderclapnewman53

Originally Posted by WFSooner View Post
    STFU.
    no.

and **** you.

really its not I watched Billy Tubbs have great players play for him and moved on and he always seemed able to reload there's no reason for Lon to allow the program to slip this far down other then he's just not getting it done anymore
    Don’t worry about him. He just likes to use excuses for everything.
    The following users like this post: No19Sooner

Lon recruited these trash ass players, sans Trae and Manek. They’ve all underperformed or been inconsistent as ****. He deserves the blame. Plain and simple.

Originally Posted by BobStoopsGinger View Post
    Don’t worry about him. He just likes to use excuses for everything.
    nice troll, liar.

Spoiler:
    and **** you, too.

Long time lurker and first time poster.

I love me some Sooner Basketball. Been a season ticket holder for 19 years, and actually show up for EVERY game and make at least one road trip a year. If you made me pick only one sport to watch, it would be college basketball.

First - Lon is an excellent coach. He is a rah-rah, very positive guy, even when, in my opinion, he should be breathing fire and jerking guys off the floor. He was brought in to take over a program that had been put on probation by the last 2 coaches, and had back to back years of loosing records prior to his arrival. He brought the program back to relevance, put it on good footing with the NCAA, went back to the tourney, developed players, and took the team to a final four. Last year was quite a step backwards, but look what the team lost: Wooden award winner, 2nd round draft pick (Cousins), an all-conference forward that fought like hell every minute he was on the floor (Spangler), his 2 assistant coaches that got head coaching gigs, and BTW, this best returning player had a mystery illness/injury that caused him to miss several games before he finally was put out for the remainder by a blown knee (Woodard).

No one though Trae Young was going to be so good, so fast. He burst onto the scene and took OU with him. Looking at he schedule before the season, not many predicted wins against Wichita State and USC. The Northwestern game was viewed as a toss up. Going 14-1 early got the team to number 4, which was indeed, HIGHLY overrated. But, again, before the season, 20-22 wins would have been pretty acceptable. They are going to be close to that. Win the last 3 home games, steal one more on the road (a tall order), and they finish with 20 going into the conference tourney.

As far as why they struggle - some thoughts:
    Lattin has not developed offensively in 4 years, he is weak with ball, makes silly turnovers, doesn't block out. He does a nice job of blocking shots from the weak side, but is not a very good defender when left to his own man.
    McGusty is a shell of the player he was last year. Can't hit water if he's aiming at the ocean, continues to drive into trouble and turn the ball over, a defensive liability, appears to have lost all confidence.
    Doolittle has lost all confidence in his shot - he doesn't even look at the rim. Playing with 4 offensively when he is on the floor.
    Freeman looks like he is shooting with a medicine ball.
    Shepard doesn't get many minutes, but doesn't appear to be (again, in limited minutes) any better than he was last year.
    Manek - Jeckel and Hyde shooting at home and road, poor defender, not strong enough to bang with big guys in the league. Will be a first or second team all-conference player by his Senior year, IMHO.
    Odomes, James, and Jumani, all have made nice strides and show flashes but not consistent.
    Since getting into conference play - Trae has been sped up and now he's going against much better guards, teams, and coaches than he was in the non-con. He is still a great player, but he's still a freshman and presses when things aren't going well.

The lack of progress with some of the guys year over year is disheartening, but I'm not sure who to put that on yet. Is it coaching, or are the guys just not capable of developing?
    OU still has a bunch of good wins, and with the exception of loosing 4 or 5 of the last 6 and getting bounced in the first round of the conference tourney, they are getting into the big dance. Problem is, they are going to be a 6-9 seed and probably go 1-1 or 0-1 and Trae's year will have been a wasted season.

I'll reserve thoughts on coaches being fired or players schollys being pulled until we review the season in its entirety. It's been fun in the LNC and the fans have actually showed up for a change. A sweet 16 run is still a possibility with the right draw.

Next year, again, IMHO is the real time to judge how much longer coach Kruger will be around. If we fall back below 500 or worse, and the LNC is empty again, it may be time to ask coach if he's been thinking about retirement. If the guys develop and he can bring in some more players and wins 22-25 games, then he can probably retire on his own terms.

Either way, I'll be there.

Originally Posted by BobStoopsGinger View Post
    Lon recruited these trash ass players, sans Trae and Manek. They’ve all underperformed or been inconsistent as ****. He deserves the blame. Plain and simple.
    Originally Posted by PhatCurt View Post

I love me some Sooner Basketball. Been a season ticket holder for 19 years, and actually show up for EVERY game and make at least one road trip a year. If you made me pick only one sport to watch, it would be college basketball.

First - Lon is an excellent coach. He is a rah-rah, very positive guy, even when, in my opinion, he should be breathing fire and jerking guys off the floor. He was brought in to take over a program that had been put on probation by the last 2 coaches, and had back to back years of loosing records prior to his arrival. He brought the program back to relevance, put it on good footing with the NCAA, went back to the tourney, developed players, and took the team to a final four. Last year was quite a step backwards, but look what the team lost: Wooden award winner, 2nd round draft pick (Cousins), an all-conference forward that fought like hell every minute he was on the floor (Spangler), his 2 assistant coaches that got head coaching gigs, and BTW, this best returning player had a mystery illness/injury that caused him to miss several games before he finally was put out for the remainder by a blown knee (Woodard).

No one though Trae Young was going to be so good, so fast. He burst onto the scene and took OU with him. Looking at he schedule before the season, not many predicted wins against Wichita State and USC. The Northwestern game was viewed as a toss up. Going 14-1 early got the team to number 4, which was indeed, HIGHLY overrated. But, again, before the season, 20-22 wins would have been pretty acceptable. They are going to be close to that. Win the last 3 home games, steal one more on the road (a tall order), and they finish with 20 going into the conference tourney.

Lattin has not developed offensively in 4 years, he is weak with ball, makes silly turnovers, doesn't block out. He does a nice job of blocking shots from the weak side, but is not a very good defender when left to his own man.
    McGusty is a shell of the player he was last year. Can't hit water if he's aiming at the ocean, continues to drive into trouble and turn the ball over, a defensive liability, appears to have lost all confidence.
    Doolittle has lost all confidence in his shot - he doesn't even look at the rim. Playing with 4 offensively when he is on the floor.
    Shepard doesn't get many minutes, but doesn't appear to be (again, in limited minutes) any better than he was last year.
    Manek - Jeckel and Hyde shooting at home and road, poor defender, not strong enough to bang with big guys in the league. Will be a first or second team all-conference player by his Senior year, IMHO.
    Odomes, James, and Jumani, all have made nice strides and show flashes but not consistent.
    Since getting into conference play - Trae has been sped up and now he's going against much better guards, teams, and coaches than he was in the non-con. He is still a great player, but he's still a freshman and presses when things aren't going well.

The lack of progress with some of the guys year over year is disheartening, but I'm not sure who to put that on yet. Is it coaching, or are the guys just not capable of developing?
    OU still has a bunch of good wins, and with the exception of loosing 4 or 5 of the last 6 and getting bounced in the first round of the conference tourney, they are getting into the big dance. Problem is, they are going to be a 6-9 seed and probably go 1-1 or 0-1 and Trae's year will have been a wasted season.

I'll reserve thoughts on coaches being fired or players schollys being pulled until we review the season in its entirety. It's been fun in the LNC and the fans have actually showed up for a change. A sweet 16 run is still a possibility with the right draw.

Next year, again, IMHO is the real time to judge how much longer coach Kruger will be around. If we fall back below 500 or worse, and the LNC is empty again, it may be time to ask coach if he's been thinking about retirement. If the guys develop and he can bring in some more players and wins 22-25 games, then he can probably retire on his own terms.

Great post! You should post more.
    6 users like cfin5256's post: 87sooner, CorySooner, jmizzy4ou, northspeter, RockE, stewy

Not sure why you want to see Lon jerking off college athletes. This isn't Penn State.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    4 users like Coach's post: BobStoopsGinger, laxtothemax12, No19Sooner, northspeter

You should post more.

Holding it in obviously leads to svt length rambles.
    3 users like Keef's post: No19Sooner, northspeter, RockFlagandEagle

lot of words ....but you did't even touch on the most important reason we're not winning....

Originally Posted by cfin5256 View Post
    Great post! You should post more.
    Thanks man! I will keep posting!

FYI, he recruited these players. He deserves the blame for their lack of progression. I stand by that.
    3 users like BobStoopsGinger's post: cfin5256, Keef, thunderclapnewman53

Last edited by BobStoopsGinger; February 11th, 2018 at 10:31 AM.

Cheer up fellas!!! Softball season has started and we're 4-0 baby!!!
    3 users like mexican/ninja's post: Bob, Coach, gratefulRed

Originally Posted by WFSooner View Post
    Dude, seriously STFU. The more you talk the more stupid shit comes out of your mouth. There is no reason for OU to only win 10-11 games a season. OU basketball should be better than that. Kruger is pissing on that legacy. For 2.5 million a year.

no.

and **** you.

Just think . . . this would probably get you banned or a stern PM from a mod in the Politics forum . . .

How stupid is that?