Venables just got a raise and will be making $2M

Posted 9 day(s) ago 1464 Views 49 Replies

Venables just got a raise and will be making $2M

Given that FUMS should be making 3.

Almost as much as our head ball coach...
    The following users like this post: J85allen

Venables hit the jackpot. He was very smart to jump to Clemson. If he stayed and was a co-DC again when Mike Stoops came back, just think where he might be in his career. Ya never know but he wouldn’t be making $2 million as a Co-DC at very least.

Sure he had some games here that we got lit up, but he’s obviously an amazing DC. Seems like we all wonder this every year...why isn’t he a head coach by now? Financially, it’s a moot point...he’s banking. But as far as a new challenge, it is odd

Imagine if we had Venables, his recruiting + gameplanning skills to pair with LR’s juggernaut offenses.....ugh

Originally Posted by J85allen View Post
    Venables hit the jackpot. He was very smart to jump to Clemson. If he stayed and was a co-DC again when Mike Stoops came back, just think where he might be in his career. Ya never know but he wouldn’t be making $2 million as a Co-DC at very least.

Sure he had some games here that we got lit up, but he’s obviously an amazing DC. Seems like we all wonder this every year...why isn’t he a head coach by now? Financially, it’s a moot point...he’s banking. But as far as a new challenge, it is odd

Imagine if we had Venables, his recruiting + gameplanning skills to pair with LR’s juggernaut offenses.....ugh
    I don't have a link to it but last year there was a long article about Brent and why he wasn't a head coach. Long story short as best I remember he said he enjoyed doing what he was doing and was not at this particular time interested in being a head coach. He said at some point down the line he might decide differently and if the right job came along he'd take it. He has turned down several chances to interview.

Originally Posted by tennsooner View Post
    I don't have a link to it but last year there was a long article about Brent and why he wasn't a head coach.
    https://www.greenvilleonline.com/sto...rom=new-cookie

"I've got a great job, and I’ve said that many, many times," Venables said. "I’m very thankful and grateful for that. We’re in a great position, so why would I be worried about what’s on the other side of the fence?"

That's easy to do, since we did actually have him. It didn't work out all that well.

Sometimes it's just about being the right person in the right place at the right time. Belichick didn't set the world on fire in his first couple of HC positions. He learned from those experiences, then found himself in exactly the right place in New England at the right time.

Originally Posted by Trip View Post
    That's easy to do, since we did actually have him. It didn't work out all that well.

Sometimes it's just about being the right person in the right place at the right time. Belichick didn't set the world on fire in his first couple of HC positions. He learned from those experiences, then found himself in exactly the right place in New England at the right time.
    "He has been granted a generous salary andthe full authority to direct the defense." This is a pretty telling thing as well.

Bob very much believed in the defense Mike is running.
    2 users like tennsooner's post: allanace16, Spade1000

Read what I wrote again. Combining Venables with LR’s offense. We have not seen that.

And it didn’t work out that well?? He was excellent here. He should’ve had a NC for his efforts in 2004 (his D held LSU to 14 points), and he only gave up 24 to that LOADED Florida team in 2008. If we had that type of D now, we would’ve at the very least played for the NC this year.
    The following users like this post: ChpThril

Good for him!

I was among those who wanted Venables out and favored FUMS returning. I may or may not have been wrong about Venables leaving (I don't think so though) but I sure as hell was wrong about FUMS. Get the hell out of Norman assbang.

It was more than just some games and it was getting worse as the years passed. I don't miss him and I won't miss Mike Stoops either. Hopefully, we'll miss the next defensive coordinator.
    2 users like zcaa0g's post: H82Lose, MyT Oklahoma

And it didn’t work out that well?? He was excellent here. .
    You have a bad memory. People were calling for his job. He had this on his resume:
    • 82nd in total defense (2008)
    • 87th in total defense (2010)
    • 62nd in total defense (2011)

The year before BV took over the defense we had the 3rd best defense in the nation. We've slid ever since. We saw what he could do here. BV got ran out of town. The recruiting on the defensive side also fell off. We are recruiting better now than we have in a long time.

He should’ve had a NC for his efforts in 2004 (his D held LSU to 14 points)
    That was the 2003 season and more Mike Stoops. And LSU wasn't exactly an offensive powerhouse. MS left and the next year (2004)was BV's first. The defense slid and we couldn't stop anything USC did.
    5 users like OnlyOneBubbaMoses's post: CalSOONER, CrimsonOberon, H82Lose, sooneron, zcaa0g

I love Brent for 2000, and I am happy for him. However, if he had stayed he would not be making $2m. He found the right situation for him, which is good.

There are defensive coordinators that have proven they can play good defense in this league. If the infusion of talent doesn't lead to a better defense under Mike, then it's on Riley to go out and find that guy. Personally, I don't think it's Mike, and even with hindsight, I don't believe it was Venables, either.
    The following users like this post: Maximus

Originally Posted by OnlyOneBubbaMoses View Post
    You have a bad memory. People were calling for his job. He had this on his resume:
    • 82nd in total defense (2008)
    • 87th in total defense (2010)
    • 62nd in total defense (2011)

The year before BV took over the defense we had the 3rd best defense in the nation. We've slid ever since. We saw what he could do here. BV got ran out of town. The recruiting on the defensive side also fell off. We are recruiting better now than we have in a long time.

That was the 2003 season and more Mike Stoops. And LSU wasn't exactly an offensive powerhouse. MS left and the next year (2004)was BV's first. The defense slid and we couldn't stop anything USC did.
    You’re conveniently leaving out 2009 stats. Our recruiting classes slipped across the board. Obviously it’s up to speculation, but that was when Bob basically just went into full cruise control mode and directly after the Bomar incident. Boren had the recruiting compliance office acting as the Gestapo. For those reasons (and probably many more) recruiting really suffered during that stretch.

I definitely agree that a change of scenery is sometimes necessary for all parties. And it works wonders for BV obviously. But to say he was ran out of town is an exaggeration. His philosophy lends itself to giving up big plays at times but also disrupting the offense and forcing turnovers. That 2008 defense wasn’t great, but they did generate turnovers. That’s a step up from what we’ve had since he left

I’m not saying BV was infallible, he had his weaknesses, but he was and is a great coach.
    2 users like J85allen's post: ChpThril, manateepower

Think of it this way: suppose Venables had no prior association with OU. Suppose he stayed at K-State, moved up to co-DC there, then went to Clemson.

Would any OU fan care what his history was at K-State? Hell no. They'd look at the success he's had at Clemson and we'd want him here in a big way.
    5 users like Stinger_1066's post: ChpThril, J85allen, lonetreebill, MyT Oklahoma, tennsooner

OU can't reel in the talent that Clemson does. Not sure if OU would be much better on defense with BV here.

Originally Posted by really View Post
    OU can't reel in the talent that Clemson does. Not sure if OU would be much better on defense with BV here.
    The first part is correct.

I feel we disagree strongly on the second part. As good as Bob was, he was stale. He didn’t have the fire he had in the 90’s and early 2000’s. BV went somewhere with a young and hungry coach to match Venables. That combined with better recruiting territory and BV looks like a defensive genius currently. Obviously won’t happen, but if BV came back to OU with LR (another young and hungry coach) as head coach, I have no doubt we would be in better shape than keeping Mike Stoops.

For those that don’t remember, Venables was one of our ace recruiters. I know his career didn’t pan out, but BV played a HUGE role in getting the #1 QB and 5 Star Rhett Bomar on campus. I’m not sure who rivals listed as Bomar’s primary recruiter, but I know BV was the main guy on him. He didn’t just recruit defense.

I might be wrong on this part, but BV had a good grip on and *my memory may be failing me here* was assigned to DFW area.
    3 users like J85allen's post: BoomSoon2016, ChpThril, tennsooner

BV may have been Bomar's recruiter but by the time he left, we had horrible LB depth. You can't be an ace recruiter if you can't recruit to your own defense and especially the position you coach.

Venables has probably changed some since he left - all of us learn and grow as we age. He may be very successful if he returned to OU to work with Riley. But I don't see it happening and I'm not losing sleep over it. Hopefully, Mike finishes out his contract this year and Riley brings in a great replacement.
    The following users like this post: CrimsonOberon

It worked out great. Had he stayed, we’d have been overwhelming favorites to win last year, and would have had a shot two years before.

You’re conveniently leaving out 2009 stats. Our recruiting classes slipped across the board. Obviously it’s up to speculation, but that was when Bob basically just went into full cruise control mode and directly after the Bomar incident. Boren had the recruiting compliance office acting as the Gestapo. For those reasons (and probably many more) recruiting really suffered during that stretch.

I definitely agree that a change of scenery is sometimes necessary for all parties. And it works wonders for BV obviously. But to say he was ran out of town is an exaggeration. His philosophy lends itself to giving up big plays at times but also disrupting the offense and forcing turnovers. That 2008 defense wasn’t great, but they did generate turnovers. That’s a step up from what we’ve had since he left

I’m not saying BV was infallible, he had his weaknesses, but he was and is a great coach.
    And you conveniently left out his record against Texas Tech.

Brent with a Stoops around his neck.

Brent without a Stoops around his neck.
    The following users like this post: tennsooner

Originally Posted by zcaa0g View Post
    And you conveniently left out his record against Texas Tech.
    Lol, why would I post his record against one specific team, Texas Tech? You think our D is better now because we beat Tech yet gave up 854 yards and 59 points?

2004- OU 28- TT 13
    2005- OU 21 TT 23
    2006- OU 34 TT 24
    2007- OU 27 TT 34
    2008- OU 65 TT 21
    2009- OU 13 TT 41
    2010- OU 45- TT 7
    2011- OU 38 TT 41

OU gave up an avg of 25.5 to TT under BV doing quick math
    OU scored 33.9

2012- OU 41 TT 20
    2013- OU 38 TT 30
    2014- OU 42 TT 30
    2015- OU 63 TT 27
    2016- OU 66 TT 59
    2017- OU 49 TT 27

OU gave up an avg of 32.2 to TT under MS.
    OU scored 49.8

I won’t bother posting TT’s stats, but the 2012-current Tech is well below a step of where they were in 04-11 when they were a real thorn in the Big 12’s side. They suck now and struggle
    For bowl Eligibility where before they were threatening in the big 12 south

So we gave up one less TD and our offense scored more than two TDs more. Comparing records is dumb when you’re looking at defensive coordinators. BV did a MUCH better job against TT anyway you look at it. He gave up one less TD/game and faced better TT teams. Do you really want to give Mike Stoops credit for having better offensive coordinators during the majority of his time
    The following users like this post: tennsooner

Last edited by J85allen; February 12th, 2018 at 01:06 PM.

BV has looked elite in a conference with maybe two good offenses per year.

edit: Oh yeah, usually one of those offenses is wearing orange and purple.

You’re conveniently leaving out 2009 stats.
    2009 was probably Brent's best year, however...
    In 2009, the B12 had 2 teams in the top 20 for total offense. Every year since then, it has averaged 4. Even Colt McCoy and texas were barely in the top 30.

They should fire Venables and hire Mike
    The following users like this post: JLEW1818

Originally Posted by SoonerCAS View Post
    BV may have been Bomar's recruiter but by the time he left, we had horrible LB depth. You can't be an ace recruiter if you can't recruit to your own defense and especially the position you coach.

Venables has probably changed some since he left - all of us learn and grow as we age. He may be very successful if he returned to OU to work with Riley. But I don't see it happening and I'm not losing sleep over it. Hopefully, Mike finishes out his contract this year and Riley brings in a great replacement.
    Idk why this myth perpetuates. Its like some **** said it one day on here, and people saw it and assumed it was true.

At linebacker brent left Mike with

Corey nelson - NFL

Travis Lewis - NFL

Tom Wort - freshman all american who killed it under BV. Although he did sign in the NFL. This guy destroyed a highly ranked florida st. team, and then Mike destroyed this guys college career.

Eric Striker - was coming in and was BV's guy. We know wgat he did.

Geneo Grissom - NFL. was recruited as a DE, but BV had him as a Lb on the 2011 roster. Btw... mike played him at LB too.

Thats 5 LB's on the roster who played or signed with NFL teams. To say we had no talent there is rediculous.
    2 users like ChpThril's post: J85allen, tennsooner

Originally Posted by sooneron View Post
    BV has looked elite in a conference with maybe two good offenses per year.

edit: Oh yeah, usually one of those offenses is wearing orange and purple.
    Clemson's 2017 ACC opponents with top 25 offenses included:

Louisville 5
    NC State 21
    Wake 22

OU's Big 12 opponents:
    OkSt 3

That's using Football Outsider's S&P ratings

The year before they faced the #2, 3, and 10 offenses in conference play using the same metric. 2015 was weaker, with only FSU and UNC cracking the top 25 offenses (this omits ND, who was ranked 11th offensively that year).

Last edited by MI Sooner; February 12th, 2018 at 01:22 PM.

Obviously it’s up to speculation, but that was when Bob basically just went into full cruise control mode and directly after the Bomar incident.
    After the Bomar incident, Bob did the best coaching job of his career (2006) and then put Oklahoma back into the championship game (2008). And that was while enduring years of recruitment limiting sanctions. No one can say with a straight face he was in "cruise control" until at least the Landry Jones years.

But to say he was ran out of town is an exaggeration. His philosophy lends itself to giving up big plays at times but also disrupting the offense and forcing turnovers. That 2008 defense wasn’t great, but they did generate turnovers. That’s a step up from what we’ve had since he left
    82nd in total defense is not significantly different than what we have had. We were 67th this year. There were some super power offenses in the Big 12 in 2008, but the same could be said of some of the Big12 offenses in 2017 as well.

It is not an exaggeration to say he was run out of town. He was getting handed a demotion with Mike Stoops coming in and everyone was happy with that. I was one of his few defenders at the time.

I'm not saying he isn't. I'm saying he had no more understanding at how to stop the Big 12 offenses than anyone else. Thinking he will be a savior here is a mistake.
    2 users like OnlyOneBubbaMoses's post: DakotaXIV, SoonerPT

Originally Posted by MI Sooner View Post
    Clemson's 2017 ACC opponents with top 25 offenses included:

Louisville 5
    NC State 21
    Wake 22

OU's Big 12 opponents:
    OkSt 3

Texas Tech had the 16th best offense and West Virginia had the 20th best offense. Even on the listing you have, they were 25th and 26th.

After the Bomar incident, Bob did the best coaching job of his career (2006) and then put Oklahoma back into the championship game (2008). And that was while enduring years of recruitment limiting sanctions. No one can say with a straight face he was in "cruise control" until at least the Landry Jones years.

82nd in total defense is not significantly different than what we have had. We were 67th this year. There were some super power offenses in the Big 12 in 2008, but the same could be said of some of the Big12 offenses in 2017 as well.

It is not an exaggeration to say he was run out of town. He was getting handed a demotion with Mike Stoops coming in and everyone was happy with that. I was one of his few defenders at the time.

I'm not saying he isn't. I'm saying he had no more understanding at how to stop the Big 12 offenses than anyone else. Thinking he will be a savior here is a mistake.
    I was mainly referring to recruiting going into cruise control (that’s why I referenced the recruiting compliance dept). Bradford, Peterson, Murray, Gresham, and McCoy were already on campus. That’s what lead to the sub par talent (and drop in record) in the Landry Jones years.

Texas Tech had the 16th best offense and West Virginia had the 20th best offense. Even on the listing you have, they were 25th and 26th.
    Somewhat off topic, but I’m thinking that WV game in Morgantown will be tough next year (provided they have their QB healthy this time). He was playing very well

Originally Posted by ChpThril View Post
    Idk why this myth perpetuates. Its like some **** said it one day on here, and people saw it and assumed it was true.
    Basically that's it. It was said at the time of the switch and there was some truth to it then. 2010 class had Corey Nelson and Geneo Grissom (who was a DE and not thought of as a LB yet) but the other years were pretty dry.

In 2008 we grabbed 4 LBs that never saw the field.
    In 2009 we got Ronnell Lewis who BV moved to the line so people didn't remember to give him credit and Tom Wort, who was highly recruited but lost in coverage on a constant basis (even before Mike came). We also had two other LBs that never saw time.

The 2011 class was in but no one had seen the "fringe pickup" Eric Striker play yet. Striker never played under BV.

Corey nelson - NFL

Travis Lewis - NFL

Tom Wort - freshman all american who killed it under BV. Although he did sign in the NFL. This guy destroyed a highly ranked florida st. team, and then Mike destroyed this guys college career.

Geneo Grissom - NFL. was recruited as a DE, but BV had him as a Lb on the 2011 roster. Btw... mike played him at LB too.

Thats 5 LB's on the roster who played or signed with NFL teams. To say we had no talent there is rediculous.
    Could we get this framed and hung on the wall so everyone gets to see it?

I was mainly referring to recruiting going into cruise control (that’s why I referenced the recruiting compliance dept). Bradford, Peterson, Murray, Gresham, and McCoy were already on campus. That’s what lead to the sub par talent (and drop in record) in the Landry Jones years.
    In that case, Bob went on recruiting cruise control after the 2000 NC. I don't think he was all that involved with it. He didn't relate as well and let his staff recruit. I think that might have been one of the key factors in getting Lincoln Riley. I don't think the slip off came as much from Bob's dedication as it did from getting his best recruiters on staff (of which BV was one) poached.

we don't HAVE to imagine it. We've seen his brilliant defense in this league already. People were ready to run his ass out of town. Short memory or are you just now jumping into college football?
    The following users like this post: SoonerPT

Originally Posted by gratefulRed View Post
    we don't HAVE to imagine it. We've seen his brilliant defense in this league already. People were ready to run his ass out of town. Short memory or are you just now jumping into college football?
    Man...this board is full of a lot of hatred. BV is a good coach. He did well here. He is doing even better at Clemson. What’s the need for rude remarks like “Short memory or are you just now jumping into college football?”

You’ve obviously got a lot of negativity in your life...hope you get better and find happiness. Until then, **** off, you’re a jackass.

That’s how you guys do it on LT, right?
    The following users like this post: Hammer2Bones

In that case, Bob went on recruiting cruise control after the 2000 NC. I don't think he was all that involved with it. He didn't relate as well and let his staff recruit. I think that might have been one of the key factors in getting Lincoln Riley. I don't think the slip off came as much from Bob's dedication as it did from getting his best recruiters on staff (of which BV was one) poached.
    Pretty good analysis. You’re probably right. Bob was never known for his recruiting. He’s not the type that will sell out and act a certain way to convince 17-18 year olds to sign and he’s definitely not going to be a snake oil salesman like others. He was pretty gruff with the media. That’s just his style. However, from everyone I’ve talked with that has ran into him away from football....straight up nice guy. Very happy, loves to volunteer without cameras, just a genuinely nice person.

Man...this board is full of a lot of hatred. BV is a good coach. He did well here. He is doing even better at Clemson. What’s the need for rude remarks like “Short memory or are you just now jumping into college football?”

You’ve obviously got a lot of negativity in your life...hope you get better and find happiness. Until then, **** off, you’re a jackass.

Well... sort of. You were a bit verbose. A simple "**** off" would have sufficed.

With which he would respond.... you mad bro?
    3 users like ChpThril's post: J85allen, lonetreebill, OnlyOneBubbaMoses

lol, lighten up Francis. I think BV did well at times, but like it or not his defenses were getting rocked towards the end of his time here. Yes, he's doing great at Clemson. Then again, considering the talent he's had to work with there AND the types of offenses he's going up against every week....I'm not that surprised. Like other (quite a few) have pointed out...his job wouldn't be so "easy" here at OU and in the Big12. Now, if OU could land that type of defensive talent...it would help. Again, I got to know BV a bit on a personal level (our sons were friends and played ball tother while he was here) and I like him a lot (great guy) and think he's a very good recruiter. That said, I don't think there would be a night and day difference in the product on the field here, had he never left.
    2 users like gratefulRed's post: CrimsonOberon, SoonerCAS

Originally Posted by gratefulRed View Post
    lol, lighten up Francis. I think BV did well at times, but like it or not his defenses were getting rocked towards the end of his time here. Yes, he's doing great at Clemson. Then again, considering the talent he's had to work with there AND the types of offenses he's going up against every week....I'm not that surprised. Like other (quite a few) have pointed out...his job wouldn't be so "easy" here at OU and in the Big12. Now, if OU could land that type of defensive talent...it would help. Again, I got to know BV a bit on a personal level (our sons were friends and played ball tother while he was here) and I like him a lot (great guy) and think he's a very good recruiter. That said, I don't think there would be a night and day difference in the product on the field here, had he never left.
    It's like breaking up with someone, then having second thoughts when you see them absolutely flourish. It's only natural to wonder if you, yourself, were the problem -- but the reality is, there were reasons why it didn't work.

Just because Venables is flourishing at Clemson, does not mean he would have flourished if he had never left Oklahoma. That's like saying just because Josh did pretty well at Missouri, somehow we made a mistake getting rid of him.

Lincoln Riley is proof that we made the right decision.

I loved Venables, but some of our worst ass kickings came under his watch.

Am I the only one that remembers our defense was so predictable in the '05 Orange Bowl the Trojans were actually calling out our f****** alignments?

I am pretty sure Pat White still has his foot up Venables' ass.

It's okay for people to move on and be better for it. We just decided to go back to an old flame (Mike), instead of doing what we should have done: moved forward and tried something new.
    3 users like CrimsonOberon's post: Doctor X, gratefulRed, SoonerCAS

Originally Posted by CrimsonOberon View Post
    I am pretty sure Pat White still has his foot up Venables' ass.
    A lot of truth in your post. I will say the defensive game plan against WVU was sound. Injuries, suspensions, and blown assignments suck.

I'd venture to guess a lot of the yahoos ranting and raving about MS were ranting and raving about BV and celebrating MS's return. They'll be ranting and raving about the next guy, too.

Lol, why would I post his record against one specific team, Texas Tech? You think our D is better now because we beat Tech yet gave up 854 yards and 59 points?

2004- OU 28- TT 13
    2005- OU 21 TT 23
    2006- OU 34 TT 24
    2007- OU 27 TT 34
    2008- OU 65 TT 21
    2009- OU 13 TT 41
    2010- OU 45- TT 7
    2011- OU 38 TT 41

OU gave up an avg of 25.5 to TT under BV doing quick math
    OU scored 33.9

2012- OU 41 TT 20
    2013- OU 38 TT 30
    2014- OU 42 TT 30
    2015- OU 63 TT 27
    2016- OU 66 TT 59
    2017- OU 49 TT 27

OU gave up an avg of 32.2 to TT under MS.
    OU scored 49.8

I won’t bother posting TT’s stats, but the 2012-current Tech is well below a step of where they were in 04-11 when they were a real thorn in the Big 12’s side. They suck now and struggle
    For bowl Eligibility where before they were threatening in the big 12 south

So we gave up one less TD and our offense scored more than two TDs more. Comparing records is dumb when you’re looking at defensive coordinators. BV did a MUCH better job against TT anyway you look at it. He gave up one less TD/game and faced better TT teams. Do you really want to give Mike Stoops credit for having better offensive coordinators during the majority of his time
    Ok, forget him being apart of 5 losses to Texas Tech. And he did a nice job against Baylor and OSU in 2011 as well. Oh wait. lol back at ya. He sucked and was getting worse.

Originally Posted by zcaa0g View Post
    Ok, forget him being apart of 5 losses to Texas Tech. And he did a nice job against Baylor and OSU in 2011 as well. Oh wait. lol back at ya. He sucked and was getting worse.

What part of him holding TT to a full TD under what Mike has done do you not understand? He played TT better than MS has. I just posted the stats to prove it. Mike gave up 7+ more PPG but his offense helped him by putting up over 14 more PPG

Your argument is beyond dumb. You keep trying to bring up specific teams/games to make a point and it’s backfired every time.

For every bad BV game, MS has had many many more. Just look at this year for example. Since you pin pointed 3011 OU and Baylor:

2017 against an embarrassingly bad 1-11 Baylor squad, we gave up 41 points and 523 yards
    Against 10-3 OSU we gave up 52 points and 661 yards.

2011, against a Heisman winning QB led 10-3 Baylor team we gave up 616 yards and 52 points
    Against an 12-1 OSU team that nearly (and probably should’ve) played for the NC we gave up 495 yards and 45 points.

2011 OSU > 2017 OSU
    2011 Baylor >>>>>>>>> 2017 Baylor.

No one is saying BV was perfect. He was an aggressive coach and that leads to getting burned at times. But Even on his worst days, he’s still better than Mike. That’s all we have to compare to unless we go back to 1998 and those prehistoric offenses.

I’m done arguing with your ignorant ass. If you want to believe the best DC in the country “sucked and getting worse,” there is obviously nothing I can do to help you.

What part of him holding TT to a full TD under what Mike has done do you not understand? He played TT better than MS has. I just posted the stats to prove it. Mike gave up 7+ more PPG but his offense helped him by putting up over 14 more PPG

Your argument is beyond dumb. You keep trying to bring up specific teams/games to make a point and it’s backfired every time.

For every bad BV game, MS has had many many more. Just look at this year for example. Since you pin pointed 3011 OU and Baylor:

2017 against an embarrassingly bad 1-11 Baylor squad, we gave up 41 points and 523 yards

2011, against a Heisman winning QB led 10-3 Baylor team we gave up 616 yards and 52 points
    Against an 12-1 OSU team that nearly (and probably should’ve) played for the NC we gave up 495 yards and 45 points.

2011 OSU > 2017 OSU

No one is saying BV was perfect. He was an aggressive coach and that leads to getting burned at times. But Even on his worst days, he’s still better than Mike. That’s all we have to compare to unless we go back to 1998 and those prehistoric offenses.

I’m done arguing with your ignorant ass. If you want to believe the best DC in the country “sucked and getting worse,” there is obviously nothing I can do to help you.
    Every dc in this league gets lit up from time to time including BV, ask Patterson the best D mind in the league.

Corey nelson - NFL

Travis Lewis - NFL

I'll give you Corey Nelson - a quality player and 2 years under Stoops.

Tom Wort - was a good LB for Venables, only played one year for MS.

Travis Lewis never played for MS, SR in 2011 & drafted in 2012.

Geneo Grisson - was recruited as a DE & played as a DE until his SR year (2014). He is again a DE in the NFL

Eric Striker was a S coming out of HS and played as a rush specialist OLB at OU.

So out of your 5, you really had 2. I guess 3 if you count the true freshman Striker learning a new position.

And since I said depth, let's look at what else as in the cupboard. Striker was the only thing close to a LB in that 2012 recruiting class, BV's last.
    The 2011 class consisted of Frank Shannon and PL Lindley.
    2010 had 3 LB -- Corey Nelson, Aaron Franklin, and Rashod Favors.
    From the 2009 class, Tom Wort and Jaydan Bird were still at OU when MS returned. Ronnell Lewis left early for the draft.
    And still around as RS SR from the 2008 class were Joseph Ibiloye and Daniel Franklin.

That makes 10 scholarship LBs on the roster for 2012 and 4 were in their last year. I guess horrible was an exaggeration but I still say LB depth had gotten bad under BV, especially if you count talent and not just bodies.

2011 OSU > 2017 OSU

this all started when you made the comment about how it would be some "dream scenario" if ONLY Brent were here with Lincoln. Everyone called you out so you start garbling stats and shit. Seriously, NO ONE HERE is on Mike's jock. He sucks. That said, you pimping for Brent over Mike is like arguing about one midget being a half inch taller than the other. Either way...neither are getting laid.....or in our case....stopping a solid Big 12 offense.

Originally Posted by CrimsonOberon View Post
    Am I the only one that remembers our defense was so predictable in the '05 Orange Bowl the Trojans were actually calling out our f****** alignments?
    What're you talking about? There was no '05 Orange Bowl. That game never happened. OU finished 12-0 in the 2004 season. Yes, that's what happened, right guys? Guys?

Originally Posted by Doctor X View Post
    What're you talking about? There was no '05 Orange Bowl. That game never happened. OU finished 12-0 in the 2004 season. Yes, that's what happened, right guys? Guys?
    I blacked out shortly after halftime....so no. Last thing I remember is being on the concourse yelling at Steve Owens to come drink with me and hearing the shrieks of the halftime performance. Must have been Shamu or something from the local Sea World.
    The following users like this post: Doctor X

Originally Posted by RockFlagandEagle View Post
    I blacked out shortly after halftime....so no. Last thing I remember is being on the concourse yelling at Steve Owens to come drink with me and hearing the shrieks of the halftime performance. Must have been Shamu or something from the local Sea World.
    You made it to halftime? Duuuuude. You're hardcore.
    The following users like this post: Hammer2Bones

Originally Posted by RockFlagandEagle View Post
    ♫"Ya' make me wanna, UH UH UH UHnnnnn..."♫
    The following users like this post: RockFlagandEagle