Oklahoma football brand ranks #8

Posted 15 day(s) ago 2941 Views 59 Replies
Page 1 of 2 1 2

This is among 224 high-school recruits, according to Pick Six Previews: How to Win at Recruiting. Clemson is #1, OU #8, and Texas #20.
    2 users like Balko's post: auto, SoonerSouthoftheRed

Better than most!
    5 users like RockFlagandEagle's post: eyeballjr, gratefulRed, jakel, OUrage, soonergrad

This is among 224 high-school recruits, according to Pick Six Previews: How to Win at Recruiting. Clemson is #1, OU #8, and Texas #20.
    The following users like this post: jaxonya

Originally Posted by RockFlagandEagle View Post
    Better than most!
    Bob, stop it!
    2 users like No19Sooner's post: Soonerprincess, StoopTroup

Not buying Clemson at #1 nor am I buying us behind Oregon and Miami.

Alabama at #19? I’m no Bammer fan but kids are dumb.

Originally Posted by RockFlagandEagle View Post
    Better than most!
    Better than a good majority! Eh, doesn't have the same ring to it.

Other than winning more national titles what are the items we can build on to enhance OU’s brand perception to recruits and then how do we actually improve those items once identified…?
    The following users like this post: No19Sooner

Two things I can think of:

As far as visibility, expand the footprint of the conference, if possible, into population dense regions...

As far as infrastructure, increase state funding towards the flagship university of the state... And work to stabilize the two largest school districts in the state with initiatives that can increase teacher pay, by consolidation of the smaller/ rural school districts...

Originally Posted by OU48A View Post
    Other than winning more national titles what are the items we can build on to enhance OU’s brand perception to recruits and then how do we actually improve those items once identified…?
    Play balls out aggressive on defense. That's a start. You might still give up yards and points in this day and age but gain a reputation for being tough and attacking. That could appeal to some defensive recruits that we currently aren't appealing to.

I'd say not playing against more NFL-type talentin the Big 12 is a big negative. So OU needs to dictate, and assert itself rather than react. We pretty much do that on O under Lincoln. But if we can start doing it on D, then others will emulate us, just as they did on offense. In other words, you can't expect them to change as long as they have a puncher's chance. Make Baylor and TTU and OSU know they need defense to have a prayer. It's incumbent upon OU to revolutionize the conference once again.

That said... this particular ranking just had 1 SEC team ahead of us. Anytime something is incessantly shoved down your throat, there's eventually going to be a blowback to that. But still, the Big 12 is a drag.

Really, this singular answer covers most everything - OU needs to win over more media narratives. In order to do that the Big 12 can't be perceived as a small time Flag Football league. We either make notable positive steps in that direction over the next 4-5 years or folks are gonna simply want out.

Expand to 12. Even 14 if that's what it takes. Get back to 8 conference games, having fewer losses to spread around the conference. Start scheduling requirements. 1 P5 every year. Period. If we are playing 8, 2 P5s at least 2 of every three years. FCS only allowed every so often. If you fail to meet requirements you have scholarship reductions.

Brand the Big 12 such as to say we play tough schedules. Make it our main slogan and make it believable by actually doing that. Give our coaches opportunity to shame those **** OOC SEC schedules. Hey, it's an idea.

Get as many games on easily accessible networks as possible. Even if it means a little less money. Games on NBC will outdraw ****ing FS1 every time. So just make it happen. Just a few ideas.
    4 users like Hamilton's post: ChocoLab, LetsgoSooners82, Omega Man, soonergrad

Originally Posted by SportyJames View Post
    OU #8 Football Brand
    OU #8 Recruiting Class
    Its a sign for #8 coming.

OU #8 Football Brand
    OU #8 Recruiting Class
    We did this with 11. It didn't turn out well.

Sent from my REVVLPLUS C3701A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Adonijah_Aijalon; February 11th, 2018 at 09:27 PM.

Originally Posted by JR’s BBQ View Post
    I'm like

Originally Posted by MontyFranklyn View Post
    I'm like

Let other teams win stuff too.

Let other teams win stuff too.
    No
    3 users like MontyFranklyn's post: Bear_Jew, Jive Turkey11, SteveDavisRIP

Kansas is #65. Surprisingly high.
    The following users like this post: SA OSO

Originally Posted by Adonijah_Aijalon View Post
    We did this with 11. It didn't turn out well.

Sent from my REVVLPLUS C3701A using Tapatalk

As some have said before - ready them for the NFL.

Avoid walk-on QBs who were born in Austin Tx

I think it comes down to whatever the definition of "brand" is.

What is distintinctive about Alabama? Their uniforms are plain vanilla. Do they have a whiz-bang scoreboard? Is their weight room super modern and luxurious, or is it plain and simple?

The state of Alabama is not a real attractive place for a football player to want to go to versus, say, Florida with all the beaches and girls in bikinis and such. And their history of racism and such.

Also, a lot of recruits know they aren't good enough to play at Alabama, so why even think about them?

The only thing Alabama really has going for it is Nick Saban. He is their brand. Otherwise they'd be pretty mediocre.

Originally Posted by Stinger_1066 View Post

What is distintinctive about Alabama? Their uniforms are plain vanilla. Do they have a whiz-bang scoreboard? Is their weight room super modern and luxurious, or is it plain and simple?

The state of Alabama is not a real attractive place for a football player to want to go to versus, say, Florida with all the beaches and girls in bikinis and such. And their history of racism and such.

Also, a lot of recruits know they aren't good enough to play at Alabama, so why even think about them?

The only thing Alabama really has going for it is Nick Saban. He is their brand. Otherwise they'd be pretty mediocre.
    I hear ya. Tuscaloosa ain’t exactly South Beach. But then again Mich St is ranked above Bama and their “brand” is circling the toilet with the FB/BB/Nasar **** stuff.

If I’m trying to put myself in recruits’ shoes it would be all about NFL potential and co-eds, and maybe acedemics if I was smarter (or is it more smart?).
    The following users like this post: Stinger_1066

I hear ya. Tuscaloosa ain’t exactly South Beach. But then again Mich St is ranked above Bama and their “brand” is circling the toilet with the FB/BB/Nasar **** stuff.

If I’m trying to put myself in recruits’ shoes it would be all about NFL potential and co-eds, and maybe acedemics if I was smarter (or is it more smart?).
    It's more smarter...duh.
    2 users like RockFlagandEagle's post: Bear_Jew, JR’s BBQ

I have been to Tuscaloosa for a game….from that experience and from far away observations it appears that Alabama football is more important to its fans than OU football is to the vast majority of OU fans…
    Recruits see this and it makes a big difference with some….This is likely why Riley wants a huge crowd at OU’s spring game.
    The following users like this post: soonergrad

Well, Bama does have a history. Bear won several NCs there. So although Saban is very important to them, he's not their whole brand.

As long as you're winning NCs, no one cares how plain your uniforms are. And your non luxurious facilities are viewed as old school and tough to create tough players. On the other hand, Oregon has pretty colors and luxurious facilities but I'm sure when Saban is recruiting against Oregon he tells the player that they're too pampered at Oregon and that's why they haven't won anything.

Now once Saban retires and Bama goes back to being normal, they'll have to upgrade facilities and maybe think about having some alternate unis.

I have been to Tuscaloosa for a game….from that experience and from far away observations it appears that Alabama football is more important to its fans than OU football is to the vast majority of OU fans…
    Recruits see this and it makes a big difference with some….This is likely why Riley wants a huge crowd at OU’s spring game.
    I've never been to an OU game, but the experience of a game day at Alabama can be exhausting. When me and my friend used to tailgate it was a 16 hour day on the quad. You have to claim your spot Friday afternoon. We'd get there around 7 Saturday morning and wouldn't be able to leave until 11 or 12 if it was a night game and in 2010 they all were night games at home. The quad would be freaking packed and fun because it was like a little village. It is an experience to say the least.
    The following users like this post: OU48A

Don't the Bama and Oregon rankings kill his premise? He says brand is most important to kids, then a top brand like Oregon is #16 this year and consistently isn't a top recruiter while a "lower" brand like Bama is #1 almost every year.

Anyway,for OU, I think if Texas would pull their weight and make the RRR a nationally important game again, this would help OU and the whole conference. Rivalries are huge media storylines, and how much national publicity can you get when your biggest rival is #20 on this list and hasn't won anything in forever?
    2 users like ChocoLab's post: OU48A, Stinger_1066

Originally Posted by MontyFranklyn View Post
    I've never been to an OU game, but the experience of a game day at Alabama can be exhausting. When me and my friend used to tailgate it was a 16 hour day on the quad. You have to claim your spot Friday afternoon. We'd get there around 7 Saturday morning and wouldn't be able to leave until 11 or 12 if it was a night game and in 2010 they all were night games at home. The quad would be freaking packed and fun because it was like a little village. It is an experience to say the least.
    The Alabama game day atmosphere outside the stadium in 2003 was exceptional…As a result of that trip and others OU and its fans have elevated the OU game day campus atmosphere a great deal and it’s now among the best… Where Alabama and frankly several other SEC teams beat OU fans is in their amount of passion, the amount of effort and discomfort they are willing to put up with to attend games in full….

Perhaps it will help that the 2018 home OU games will have the least amount of road construction in decades and a little better parking and tailgate situation but there is a lot more that could be done with OU game day logistics. More and better fans among other things would help OU’s brand.

Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    Well, Bama does have a history. Bear won several NCs there. So although Saban is very important to them, he's not their whole brand.

As long as you're winning NCs, no one cares how plain your uniforms are. And your non luxurious facilities are viewed as old school and tough to create tough players. On the other hand, Oregon has pretty colors and luxurious facilities but I'm sure when Saban is recruiting against Oregon he tells the player that they're too pampered at Oregon and that's why they haven't won anything.

Now once Saban retires and Bama goes back to being normal, they'll have to upgrade facilities and maybe think about having some alternate unis.
    Yeah, but I was explaining the rationale behind Bama being ranked #19 in terms of branding. Oregon is #5.

Originally Posted by Balko View Post
    to be fair they have their big recruiting weekend when the hoops team does their midnight madness thing. These guys get wrapped up thinking all these fans will be there for football as well...

I don't think "brand" has much to do with W/L or rankings....with kids these days. It's about flash..

WTH would bama be so low. They've won 5 titles in 9 years..IF I was ranking "brand" I'd pick them..but I'm old. lol

"we asked some recruits"

... Did they mention where these recruits were from? I got bored. This is a total joke

I agree. But then I'm old too. Too old.

Originally Posted by kopp0e View Post
    Exactly...

Be nice if we could've cashed in those wins for more National Titles.

Bama has the largest weight room in college football. Was completely remodeled and expanded 3 seasons ago. Was the first to have the ever popular "waterfalls" in it. Also has a full arcade, barber shop, etc.
    The following users like this post: MontyFranklyn

You guys seemed to have missed this little gem from the article:

Because most of our respondents have never been recruited by these top-tier colleges.

The following users like this post: Stinger_1066

Originally Posted by soonergrad View Post
    Bama has the largest weight room in college football. Was completely remodeled and expanded 3 seasons ago. Was the first to have the ever popular "waterfalls" in it. Also has a full arcade, barber shop, etc.

Nebraska put in a waterfall when they did one of their major renovations during the Bo days.

Originally Posted by Soonerjeepman View Post
    to be fair they have their big recruiting weekend when the hoops team does their midnight madness thing. These guys get wrapped up thinking all these fans will be there for football as well...
    They are ranking only Power 5 teams.

#65 is dead last.

Either Balko missed that point - or was just twisting the knife a bit. Their purple brethren didn't fare much better.

I definitely have my doubts about their sample selection or methodology. There's no way Bama is ranked the 19th strongest brand in CFB by a random sampling of high school football recruits in any poll taken in the last decade.

Yeah, but I was explaining the rationale behind Bama being ranked #19 in terms of branding. Oregon is #5.
    I think a big part of Bama being ranked so low is also due to the atmosphere in the program. Alabama is all business. Period. There is no half assing, it's full throttle from start to finish. None of that babying shit either. You will have to earn every minute you play even if you are better than the guy ahead of you. Kids see that and think it isn't fun, but winning is always fun. The things you have to do to win aren't always fun though. It is a different atmosphere down here.
    2 users like MontyFranklyn's post: soonergrad, Stinger_1066

Originally Posted by Balko View Post
    Originally Posted by doublespiral View Post
    They are ranking only Power 5 teams.

#65 is dead last.

Either Balko missed that point - or was just twisting the knife a bit. Their purple brethren didn't fare much better.

I definitely have my doubts about their sample selection or methodology. There's no way Bama is ranked the 19th strongest brand in CFB by a random sampling of high school football recruits in any poll taken in the last decade.
    Meh....even so, dead last still seems a bit high for Kansas.
    4 users like meandmybutt's post: Balko, doublespiral, gratefulRed, RockFlagandEagle

Yup, my thought exactly. Another way to look at it is that brand strength is pretty meaningless as a predictor of recruiting success, given that Alabama has been on top for, what, six of the last seven years?
    2 users like drnlaw's post: gratefulRed, JR’s BBQ

Since you asked – it's academics, not acedemics; and it's if I WERE smarter, not was smarter.

Remember, you asked.
    The following users like this post: JR’s BBQ

Originally Posted by really View Post
    Is 8 enough ?
    Why does a picture of Dick Van Patten suddenly appear in my mind?

Originally Posted by doublespiral View Post

* * * or was just twisting the knife a bit.
    I suspect that he was twisting the knife.

OU #8 Football Brand
    OU #8 Recruiting Class
    If Mike gets canned August 8th I can get behind this
    The following users like this post: J85allen

OU #8 Football Brand
    OU #8 Recruiting Class
    It’s been coming for 17 years. How much longer do we have to wait?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Better bagmen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Originally Posted by kopp0e View Post
    Exactly...

The kings of 10 win seasons! Yay.