Outlaw Country (Rock), Eagles Desperado, and Indian Territory Gunfighters

Posted 8 day(s) ago 876 Views 56 Replies
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Outlaw Country (Rock), Eagles Desperado, and Indian Territory Gunfighters

A lot of us relate to outlaw country and country rock. Let's discuss and share our favorite music in these and related genres as well as any knowledge or personal experience you have of Oklahoma Territory Old West outlaws like The Wild Bunch. What the hell, I might learn something.

Background: I'm getting back into guitar. I restrung my Martin for the first time in years and have been playing the hell out of it. I started learning some new (old) songs that fit my voice, including tracks from Eagles Desperado, the early concept album using the Doolin - Dalton gang history as a kind of metaphor for the life the band was living.

Recently discussed on LT was the Mike Judge animated series on Cinemax about outlaw country artists in this thread.
    The following users like this post: northspeter

Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    A lot of us relate to outlaw country and country rock. Let's discuss and share our favorite music in these and related genres as well as any knowledge or personal experience you have of Oklahoma Territory Old West outlaws like The Wild Bunch. What the hell, I might learn something.

Background: I'm getting back into guitar. I restrung my Martin for the first time in years and have been playing the hell out of it. I started learning some new (old) songs that fit my voice, including tracks from Eagles Desperado, the early concept album using the Doolin - Dalton gang history as a kind of metaphor for the life the band was living.

Recently discussed on LT was the Mike Judge animated series on Cinemax about outlaw country artists in this thread.
    Tweet from Harold Kuntz... Never heard of Bass Reeves before this tweet..

https://twitter.com/HaroldRKuntz3/st...18384063852544

Bass Reeves- 1st African American sheriff West of the Mississippi...(Muskogee)

Sent from my LG-K428 using Tapatalk
    The following users like this post: blackfrancois

My grandfather had that Time-Life Old West series that looked to be leather bound. It was really fun for a young boy to discover. But I spent most of my time looking at the pictures in volume called, The Gunfighters.

I'm sure Ingalls, OK and Bill Doolin were discussed, but I haven't retained any of it. It would be fun to drive through there and poke around a bit. Or check out Doolin's grave in Guthrie.

Originally Posted by wiki
    Bill Doolin is buried in the Boot Hill section of Summit View Cemetery in Guthrie, Oklahoma. He is buried next to the outlaw Elmer McCurdy.
    Grandad lived in Wilburton when I was a kid, and we used to go to Robbers Cave when I visited in the summer. Wish I had pics of those adventures.
    2 users like blackfrancois's post: 1stTimeCaller, northspeter

Wiki tells me it was Jackson Brown who sorta offered the Eagles the idea of an old west outlaw theme to their second album, Desperado. I really love that original, four member lineup. Randy Meisner and Bernie Leadon are such gifted musicians. I love their sensibilities, tastes, and lineage (Poco, Flying Burrito Brothers).

The following users like this post: goldenokiebear

Wiki tells me it was Jackson Brown who sorta offered the Eagles the idea of an old west outlaw theme to their second album, Desperado. I really love that original, four member lineup. Randy Meisner and Bernie Leadon are such gifted musicians. I love their sensibilities, tastes, and lineage (Poco, Flying Burrito Brothers).

Poco was a hell of a group.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2 users like PokeJ's post: blackfrancois, SoonerAtty

Check out Spindrift’s Legend of God’s Gun. Modern take on the Spaghetti Western.

JD Souther co-wrote a bunch of the most well known Eagles tunes, including this one from Desperado.

here is the simple guitar music to that one, including other "cowboy country" tabs. a lot of it is not transcribed in the right key as the original, but it's usually easy to play.

Wiki tells me his biggest hit was You're Only Lonely. I know that song from '70s radio, but I always thought it was Roy Orbison. Like all* the Eagles (and Jackson Brown), Souther has a beautiful voice.

* yeah, even Frey, Felder and Walsh have their moments. Like that later track, Pretty Maids All in a Row -- one of the best.
    The following users like this post: odin's beard

I find myself singing the Eagles- Seven Bridges Road, all the damn time..!

https://youtu.be/5mB3K_FQ4Ek

2 users like northspeter's post: blackfrancois, SoonerAtty

Who would've thought that Vince Gil would be joining the Eagles

its a mind F but they sound amazing... check em out

One of my faves of that genre

2 users like nmgaucho's post: blackfrancois, TheBoots

Originally Posted by JBret View Post

I know.. but the tickets are so expensive...

Originally Posted by Pigpen View Post
    Check out Spindrift’s Legend of God’s Gun. Modern take on the Spaghetti Western.
    Cool. There have been some really great westerns made recently that remind me of the grit of those made in the late '60s and '70s. My favorite is Mccabe and Mrs Miller. Altman uses Leonard Cohen's Songs from a Room as a backdrop, including "The Stranger Song" as a kind of theme for his protagonist:

(the whole movie may be on youtube.)

the Eagles made short film for Desperado to justify the cost of the photography used for the album. it's not on youtube unfortunately, but here are some edited clips of it:

may be a little cheesy, but also nostalgic and sorta interesting.
    The following users like this post: Pigpen

The following users like this post: jaxonya

https://youtu.be/PyDLTf3nGpE

Most everyone around here, knows about Frank "Pistol Pete" Eaton..

Personal story, my grandfather(pa-paw is what we called him) Frank Phillips, was a sherrif in Payne county for several years & Mr. Eaton always campaigned for him..

Here's a pic of my nanny & pa-paw when he was sheriff..

2 users like northspeter's post: blackfrancois, NWOSURanger

My grandfather had that Time-Life Old West series that looked to be leather bound. It was really fun for a young boy to discover. But I spent most of my time looking at the pictures in volume called, The Gunfighters.

I'm sure Ingalls, OK and Bill Doolin were discussed, but I haven't retained any of it. It would be fun to drive through there and poke around a bit. Or check out Doolin's grave in Guthrie.

Grandad lived in Wilburton when I was a kid, and we used to go to Robbers Cave when I visited in the summer. Wish I had pics of those adventures.
    Hmmm, I am over by Summit View Cemetery at least once a week. I'll have to check that out next time I'm there, which might be this afternoon.

you just knew I'd bring some Dylan in, right? You remember Durango, Larry?

Originally Posted by JBret View Post

My wife and I love the Eagles. We're going to see them in Tulsa. I listened to the concert on Sirius with Vince Gill, and was not that happy with it. To me he seemed as boring as ever, even though he is crazy talented. I was very impressed with Deacon Frey, and I think that might have been his first big show with them.

Dang, I just looked at their concert dates, and the show before Tulsa and the one after has Chris Stapleton also. I kinda feel cheated.

Okay, I'll play for real:

Originally Posted by Keef View Post
    You remember Durango, Larry?
    Nice choice. Maybe it's more country folk than country rock, but the two certainly overlap.

Desire is my favorite Dylan album. Tracks like Romance in Durango, Joey, and One More Cup of Coffee fit right in with the thread.

There's a lot of Emmylou Harris on that record. I think she was discovered in Baltimore by insurgent country hero, Gram Parsons, who worked with the Eagles' Bernie Leadon in the Flying Burrito Brothers and on the Byrd's sole country rock album, Sweetheart of the Rodeo with Roger McGuinn (who also played guitar on Desire).

You could have included more of Dylan's outlaw theme music, like John Wesley Harding, Brownsville Girl, or his Sam Peckinpah soundtrack to Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid.

I'm sure there are others. Maybe on the Dylan/Cash sessions?

Originally Posted by Stinger_1066 View Post
    Hmmm, I am over by Summit View Cemetery at least once a week. I'll have to check that out...
    you can usually find specific detail on grave locations online. i've found a couple myself that way, like raymond carver's in port angeles, wa.

Nice choice. Maybe it's more country folk than country rock, but the two certainly overlap.

Desire is my favorite Dylan album. Tracks like Romance in Durango, Joey, and One More Cup of Coffee fit right in with the thread.

There's a lot of Emmylou Harris on that record. I think she was discovered in Baltimore by insurgent country hero, Gram Parsons, who worked with the Eagles' Bernie Leadon in the Flying Burrito Brothers and on the Byrd's sole country rock album, Sweetheart of the Rodeo with Roger McGuinn (who also played guitar on Desire).

You could have included more of Dylan's outlaw theme music, like John Wesley Harding, Brownsville Girl, or his Sam Peckinpah soundtrack to Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid.

I'm sure there are others. Maybe on the Dylan/Cash sessions?

Yeah I could Have gone many directions. I stayed away from the obvious Knockin on Heavens Door though. Badges? We don’t need no stinking badges.

Okay, I'll play for real:

Now we're gettin' somewhere. Eagles suck, FYI. Please don't mention them with outlaw rock. Please file under shitty music.

Here we go...

The following users like this post: Keef

Last edited by soonerbornsoonerbrett; February 12th, 2018 at 08:11 PM.

Brett’s right. The only eagles I like are in Philly. Though I do love Vince Gill and Joe Walsh so that’s something. But I’d never consider them outlaw country.

The highwaymen are outlaw country.
    The following users like this post: soonerbornsoonerbrett

youtube offers several vids of the 1973 voorburg show after they recorded desperado, including the only track on the album they didn't write:

eagles ... I’d never consider them outlaw country.
    the eagles are country rock. they basically defined the genre with their first first four albums (though Gram arrived well before). their second release is entirely dedicated to the outlaw myth. there are other threads where you can bash the band, as if that's novel.
    2 users like blackfrancois's post: Imca17, Keef

The following users like this post: SoonerNow

Originally Posted by Mixer! View Post
    One of the many fine songs on the Viva Terlingua album.
    The following users like this post: Mixer!

yall need to chill

youtube offers several vids of the 1973 voorburg show after they recorded desperado, including the only track on the album they didn't write:

the eagles are country rock. they basically defined the genre with their first first four albums (though Gram arrived well before). their second release is entirely dedicated to the outlaw myth. there are other threads where you can bash the band, as if that's novel.
    We'll bash the Eagles wherever we damn well please, thank you very much.
    The following users like this post: Keef

real outlaw country:

3 users like Keef's post: blackfrancois, Mixer!, soonerbornsoonerbrett

I used to be a big fan of Jackson Taylor. His stuff is really good but after awhile, you realize all the songs sound the same so it gets old. But I still bust it out every once in a while. His concerts are great.

Not sure if Nathaniel Ratcliff counts or not

I don't know what I'd call this but I've liked them for years:

Thread needs more Waylon, Willie, Hank Jr, and Tompall Glaser.

EDIT: more Dwight Yoakam too. #comeatmebro
    The following users like this post: goldenokiebear

My favorite Eagles album.

Ray Wylie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2O0egnTDkD0

Great opening line. Hell, great lyrics throughout.
    2 users like goldenokiebear's post: blackfrancois, Keef

Last edited by goldenokiebear; February 13th, 2018 at 05:16 PM.

Originally Posted by Mixer! View Post
    Thread needs more Waylon, Willie ...
    ... and more info about old west outlaws. surely, some of you older folks have a few stories to tell ... maybe handed down a generation or two? anybody study western history at OU?

... and more info about old west outlaws. surely, some of you older folks have a few stories to tell ... maybe handed down a generation or two? anybody study western history at OU?
    I don't have any stories about people you probably don't already know about. Well maybe one. You ever heard of Arkansas Dave Rudabaugh? Killed 65 mean...not counting Mexicans and Indians.

You ever heard of Arkansas Dave Rudabaugh? Killed 65 men.
    yes! i've heard of him ... but just through movie westerns. he's portrayed in several.

yes! i've heard of him ... but just through movie westerns. he's portrayed in several.
    he was all over the old west. from gold towns, silver towns, even turquoise towns. apparently he and Billy the Kid didn't always see eye to eye. He was notorious for not letting tender foots (feet?) into his gang. made some money off selling indian bones too.
    2 users like Keef's post: blackfrancois, soonerbornsoonerbrett

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
    2 users like Turk's post: northspeter, p23570

My favorite Oklahoma outlaw actually started off in Florida as the pirate type, a buccaneer if you will, then came West to Oklahoma and became a gun slinging outlaw... He didn't stay long and soon headed to Arizona. Soon after, believe it or not, he headed back east, dropped his outlaw ways and became of all things, a Redskin! In fact, he became one of the best Redskins ever! Even ended up winning a Super Bowl.

3 users like soonerbornsoonerbrett's post: Keef, Mixer!, northspeter

T'was glorious the way the Redskins dismantled the Broncos at SB XXII. Good times.

Back to the music...

Remember these?
    2 users like traxx's post: blackfrancois, Keef