The Denco Darlin’ with two lookin at ya is coming back

Posted 6 day(s) ago by 1stTimeCaller1934 Views 106 Replies
Results 101 to 107 of 107
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
  1. #101
    Geez, what I wouldn't give to have some Pinocchio's breadsticks. That butter! Denco's, probably no. Some things better left to memory and history.

  2. #102
    Originally Posted by Stinger_1066 View Post
    I lived in Cate from fall 1978 - spring 1981. Beer was legal then for 18 year olds. I think when RocketCity was there it may have been illegal under 21.

    Consumption was not allowed outside on campus, except for game days, which we thought was super hypocritical.

    Everyone had a mini fridge in their dorm room. The RA told us that it was OK to consume in our dorm rooms. It just had to remain concealed in-transit. We weren't supposed to have any in the lounge, but that rule was never enforced. Most people in the lounge would pour it into a plastic cup rather than drink straight from the bottle or can.

    We smoked weed regularly. Cate was not air conditioned, so we would just open the windows and put a towel down along the base of the door. Busts were very rare.
    Cardboard TP roll holder and a perforated, stamp size piece of aluminum foil made a great pipe!!
    The following users like this post: Stinger_1066


  3. #103
    Originally Posted by Stinger_1066 View Post
    I lived in Cate from fall 1978 - spring 1981. Beer was legal then for 18 year olds. I think when RocketCity was there it may have been illegal under 21.

    Consumption was not allowed outside on campus, except for game days, which we thought was super hypocritical.

    Everyone had a mini fridge in their dorm room. The RA told us that it was OK to consume in our dorm rooms. It just had to remain concealed in-transit. We weren't supposed to have any in the lounge, but that rule was never enforced. Most people in the lounge would pour it into a plastic cup rather than drink straight from the bottle or can.

    We smoked weed regularly. Cate was not air conditioned, so we would just open the windows and put a towel down along the base of the door. Busts were very rare.
    i was at OU from 64-70. No beer on campus. No way, no how. State law. There were no mini-fridges. They wouldn't even allow coffee pots in dorm rooms.
    The drinking age varied. Men could not purchase beer or hard liquor until 21. Even though girls could purchase 3.2 beer at 18, they could not consume beer on-premises until 21. IOW, a female could fill the bed on a pickup track at 18 but couldn't drink a beer with a pizza at PIzza Hut until she was 21. Guys under 21 would pick up their dates in Cate and drive to the nearest quick stop where the girls would buy the beer.

    No beer, no liquor in fraternity houses either. State law prohibited alcohol on all state property. IIRC, a state law was passed in the late fifties, that required all students to live in University Housing until 21. The frat houses got the university to consider them "university housing". But that brought them under the state law prohibiting alcohol. The Inter-Fraternity Council (IFC) promised to police the alcohol prohibition. Suppose the Pikes were having a party on friday night. The Fiji's would be designated to inspect the PIke Party for booze. Of course, the Pikes would be inspecting the Fijis on Saturday. "Live and let Live". The IFC could only inspect areas where females were present. They could not be upstairs. The rule was no booze downstairs unless it was in a paper cup. The unspoken rule for inspections was anything in a paper cup was obviously a soft drink.

    The paper cup rule was in effect for all off campus places serving beer. For example, a favorite bar was "The Across the Street". It's New York Pizza now. Two guys over 21. Two girls under 21. Guys would go to counter and order a pitcher and two mugs and two paper cups. They would have to show two 21 IDs. I've even seen a cop count the number of mugs and ask to see the same number of 21 IDs.

    BTW, no males lived in Cate. We were only allowed in Cross or the towers.
    The following users like this post: Stinger_1066


  4. #104
    Originally Posted by RocketCitySooner View Post
    i was at OU from 64-70. No beer on campus. No way, no how. State law. There were no mini-fridges. They wouldn't even allow coffee pots in dorm rooms.
    The drinking age varied. Men could not purchase beer or hard liquor until 21. Even though girls could purchase 3.2 beer at 18, they could not consume beer on-premises until 21. IOW, a female could fill the bed on a pickup track at 18 but couldn't drink a beer with a pizza at PIzza Hut until she was 21. Guys under 21 would pick up their dates in Cate and drive to the nearest quick stop where the girls would buy the beer.

    No beer, no liquor in fraternity houses either. State law prohibited alcohol on all state property. IIRC, a state law was passed in the late fifties, that required all students to live in University Housing until 21. The frat houses got the university to consider them "university housing". But that brought them under the state law prohibiting alcohol. The Inter-Fraternity Council (IFC) promised to police the alcohol prohibition. Suppose the Pikes were having a party on friday night. The Fiji's would be designated to inspect the PIke Party for booze. Of course, the Pikes would be inspecting the Fijis on Saturday. "Live and let Live". The IFC could only inspect areas where females were present. They could not be upstairs. The rule was no booze downstairs unless it was in a paper cup. The unspoken rule for inspections was anything in a paper cup was obviously a soft drink.

    The paper cup rule was in effect for all off campus places serving beer. For example, a favorite bar was "The Across the Street". It's New York Pizza now. Two guys over 21. Two girls under 21. Guys would go to counter and order a pitcher and two mugs and two paper cups. They would have to show two 21 IDs. I've even seen a cop count the number of mugs and ask to see the same number of 21 IDs.

    BTW, no males lived in Cate. We were only allowed in Cross or the towers.
    I lived in Sequoia House in Wilson Center as a frosh in 1963-64. When were those dorms demolished?

  5. #105
    Originally Posted by SoonerNow View Post
    I lived in Sequoia House in Wilson Center as a frosh in 1963-64. When were those dorms demolished?

    Looks like in the early 80s. Here's an article you might find interesting.

    https://digital.libraries.ou.edu/soo...86v7n1_OCR.pdf

    My parents original plan was for me to stay there too since it was the cheapest option. My brother, who had attended OU in the late 40s, was in ROTC as were all male students. Mom changed plans when brother told her that Wilson Center was the stables for the horse drawn artillery unit in ROTC. He told her that the way one worked off demerits was cleaning the stables. Don't know if that was true or if brother just wanted to upgrade my dorm.

  6. #106
    Stinger_1066's Avatar
    Posts
    39,567
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    On the golf course

    Originally Posted by OU48A View Post
    We had “liquor by the wink” on game days back then…

    But I never drank before a OU football game and still haven’t
    We always had lots of dances with beer on campus.
    I don't drink before games either. My bladder is too small. I'd rather stay sober and not have to deal with spending parts of the game in the bathroom.

    There were several on-campus parties, sponsored by the student living department, that featured kegs. One of them at Wilson activity center.

    Anyway, huge line for the bathroom, so I go outside, went behind a row of hedges where no one could see me, and took a pee. As soon as I'm done and zipping up I was accosted by an OU PD officer. He let me go with a warning, but told me Norman PD would have arrested me.

    My freshman year our RA and one of the girl's RAs had the brillian idea to have a "wine and cheese" party at an off campus apartment club house. None of us knew anything about drinking wine. It was not a pretty site.
    The following users like this post: SoonerNow


  7. #107
    Stinger_1066's Avatar
    Posts
    39,567
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    On the golf course

    Originally Posted by SoonerNow View Post
    I lived in Sequoia House in Wilson Center as a frosh in 1963-64. When were those dorms demolished?
    Originally Posted by RocketCitySooner View Post
    Looks like in the early 80s. Here's an article you might find interesting.

    https://digital.libraries.ou.edu/soo...86v7n1_OCR.pdf

    My parents original plan was for me to stay there too since it was the cheapest option. My brother, who had attended OU in the late 40s, was in ROTC as were all male students. Mom changed plans when brother told her that Wilson Center was the stables for the horse drawn artillery unit in ROTC. He told her that the way one worked off demerits was cleaning the stables. Don't know if that was true or if brother just wanted to upgrade my dorm.
    Wilson activity center was still there in the early '80s. Not sure about the dorm rooms.

Similar Threads

  1. Orlando Brown coming back!
    By MadMex in forum Football
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: December 15th, 2016, 10:00 PM
  2. They say the good stuff keeps coming back around
    By oucub23 in forum Entertainment & Tech
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: May 6th, 2014, 10:10 PM
  3. RBI Baseball Coming Back
    By SarasotaSooner in forum Entertainment & Tech
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: January 17th, 2014, 01:02 PM