The Denco Darlin’ with two lookin at ya is coming back

Posted 13 day(s) ago 2349 Views 112 Replies
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

The Denco Darlin’ with two lookin at ya is coming back

In the old Coach’s/S&B/Denco’s Cafe building that burned down, Neighborhood JA.M. is going in and they will have the Denco Darlin’ on the menu.

Neighborhood JA.M. Is a Hal Smith Restaurant

The darlin’ sounds a bit interesting.
    2 users like 1stTimeCaller's post: Petro-Sooner, Stinger_1066

Originally Posted by 1stTimeCaller View Post
    In the old Coach’s/S&B/Denco’s Cafe building that burned down, Neighborhood JA.M. is going in and they will have the Denco Darlin’ on the menu.

Neighborhood JA.M. Is a Hal Smith Restaurant

The darlin’ sounds a bit interesting.
    Awesome drunk food. A bucket of grease soaked vomit when sober. Will you still be able to pour the grease off the plate?

Originally Posted by oucub23 View Post
    Awesome drunk food. A bucket of grease soaked vomit when sober. Will you still be able to pour the grease off the plate?
    http://www.normantranscript.com/news...1ace5dfaf.html

No idea, I’ve never had a darlin’ but have read about it on here.

Mac and cheese covered in chili topped with two eggs sounds interesting.

Will not be legit unless the restrooms are outside on the west side of the building.
    2 users like yaz67mvp's post: SoonerNow, ThievingMagpie

I always placed my knife under one side of the plate so the grease would drain to the other side and then as I ate I pushed my food up hill on the plate and let more grease drain off.

For a righteous variation, instead of 2 looking at ya, get a Darlin' with one up tight, and one outa sight.

Does anyone else remember when they had a funeral for Denco’s and that it was on the radio….That was about 1982 or so.
    The following users like this post: Uncle Mo

Worked at that Coach's forever ago. #uselesstrivia

Green Goddess dressing to top it off.
    3 users like yaz67mvp's post: Slytherin, stlOU, Uncle Mo

So exactly how old do you have to be to understand wtf you guys are talking about?

Title of this sounds like a trucker talking over cb!
    2 users like Dagnorbert's post: Rufus T Firefly, tennsooner

The Darlin' was not mac and cheese. It was plain macaroni covered with the greasy ass chili, which was just meat and ****es, then covered in grated cheese, and the optional 2 lookin' at ya. I'm pretty sure you could get onions on it, and the kicker for me was the Green Goddess dressing on top. I never got the eggs myself. It was basically a 3-way with really greasy chili. They served that same chili on their tamales.
    5 users like soonerbornsoonerbrett's post: 1stTimeCaller, oucub23, Slytherin, stlOU, Uncle Mo

Originally Posted by Dagnorbert View Post
    So exactly how old do you have to be to understand wtf you guys are talking about?

Title of this sounds like a trucker talking over cb!
    I'm 46 and have vague recollections of the Denco. It was a favorite of some of my family who were in school there in the 70s. That and Toto's.

I thought Dencos was acquired by Interurban. Surprised Rosser is letting Hal Smith get away with this.

Late night (or should I say early morning) visits began with Pat, the waitress, checking out your group through the front window, before deciding whether to let you in or not.

Here's a clip from 1978.

Originally Posted by Stinger_1066 View Post
    I thought Dencos was acquired by Interurban. Surprised Rosser is letting Hal Smith get away with this.
    The Denco's location became Coach's, which was owned by Jack Hooper, I believe.
    3 users like yaz67mvp's post: Bob Loblaw, kingswitz, Stinger_1066

Neighborhood Jam is on a continual hour+ wait in OKC, should do well in Nompton.

Originally Posted by yaz67mvp View Post
    The Denco's location became Coach's, which was owned by Jack Hooper, I believe.
    Jack still owns the building. The architectural firm that I left in July did the rebuild after the insurance claim was settled from the fire.
    3 users like kingswitz's post: 1stTimeCaller, Uncle Mo, yaz67mvp

Trivia God
    There is no off position on the Genius Switch.

Originally Posted by soonerbornsoonerbrett View Post
    The Darlin' was not mac and cheese. It was plain macaroni covered with the greasy ass chili, which was just meat and ****es, then covered in grated cheese, and the optional 2 lookin' at ya. I'm pretty sure you could get onions on it, and the kicker for me was the Green Goddess dressing on top. I never got the eggs myself. It was basically a 3-way with really greasy chili. They served that same chili on their tamales.
    Jesus CHRIST, Brett!!! You know your Denco's!! Meet there for lunch after it opens?? It's not a TRUE Darlin' unless you have some cigarette ash in it. I wonder if they stuffed the Legendary Pat and will have her propped up by the door as you enter. Hell, just hanging her hair net in the place would be a nice thing to do.

I was wondering what the hold up was. i had heard Hooper was gonna open it in September. Gonna have to do some asking around to see how Hal became involved in it. Since he did, it might be something else in a year. Hal wants Tables to Turn Over at a specific rate or he will change it.
    2 users like Uncle Mo's post: soonerbornsoonerbrett, stlOU

Originally Posted by Stinger_1066 View Post
    From the article:

“The Denco Darlin’ was big back in the early days when it was the Denco Cafe,” said Jack Hooper, co-owner of the building site of the former diner. “It’s macaroni and cheese with chill on the top and two eggs looking at you. All the fraternities used to go down there all the time. It was a big deal. When we had it, we still had that on the menu.”
    I worked with Jack’s son at Coach’s with both of us washing dishes. Jack was always friendly to those of us in the kitchen.
    2 users like 1stTimeCaller's post: Bob Loblaw, kingswitz

From the article:
    I worked with Jack’s son at Coach’s with both of us washing dishes. Jack was always friendly to those of us in the kitchen.
    I've eaten at the original Denco Café.

But for some reason I thought Interurban acquired them.

Guess not.
    The following users like this post: ab5sr

The Darlin' was not mac and cheese. It was plain macaroni covered with the greasy ass chili, which was just meat and ****es, then covered in grated cheese, and the optional 2 lookin' at ya. I'm pretty sure you could get onions on it, and the kicker for me was the Green Goddess dressing on top. I never got the eggs myself. It was basically a 3-way with really greasy chili.
    Typically I'm all for nostalgia, but that honestly just sounds ****ing disgusting.
    2 users like mgsooner's post: Rufus T Firefly, SoonerAtty

Originally Posted by mgsooner View Post
    Typically I'm all for nostalgia, but that honestly just sounds ****ing disgusting.
    And you would be completely correct.
    4 users like soonerbornsoonerbrett's post: ab5sr, mgsooner, oucub23, SoonerAtty

You forgot to mention that you could get 2 hidin' (enchiladas), in addition to the 2 lookin' at ya.
    The following users like this post: Slytherin

You forgot to mention that you could get 2 hidin' (enchiladas), in addition to the 2 lookin' at ya.
    Was it enchiladas? Not tamales? Or did they have both?

And you would be completely correct.
    At Denco's? Yes. At one of our breakfast tailgates we made Darlin's. Just like Denco's did, only we used delicious elk chili. Noodles, chili, cheese, eggs, and Green Goddess. They were ****ing delicious. Washed down with about half-a-handle of Wiser's? Most excellent breakfast fare.

Denco's was a nasty restaurant. I only went there when I came out to Norman as a USPS student back in the day after spending the evening at Walter Mitty's. The Darlin's would have been ok if it wasn't for the nasty chili they used. Same chili a lot of tex mex joints put on all their crappy food.

Was it enchiladas? Not tamales? Or did they have both?
    I was thinking enchiladas but I could be wrong. Something was hidin' and you probably didn't want to know what it was.
    The following users like this post: soonerbornsoonerbrett

I was thinking enchiladas but I could be wrong. Something was hidin' and you probably didn't want to know what it was.
    Enchimales, maybe?
    3 users like soonerbornsoonerbrett's post: Clark W. Griswold, oucub23, yaz67mvp

Here you go...serves 100

Sooner Sampler, Junior League of Norman

Denco's Darlin

20 pounds chili meat
    2 3/4 ounces paprika
    2 1/4 ounces cumin
    4 ounces chili powder
    1 tablespoon garlic
    1 1/2 tablespoons cayenne pepper
    1 1/3 cups salt
    2 1/2 tablespoons course black pepper
    8 ounces fresh ground jalapeno
    5 1/2 ounces flour
    5 1/2 ounces salad oil
    15 pounds elbow macaroni
    12 1/2 pounds cheddar cheese
    100 eggs

Cover meat with water. Cook until meat completely breaks apart. Add ****es and simmer 30 minutes. Add roux mixture: 5 1/2 ounces flour and 5 1/2 ounces salad oil. Mix well. Cook macaroni to aldente.

For an individual serving, cover a hot platter with macaroni, ladle on enough chili to completely cover. Sprinkle 2 ounces of cheddar cheese on top and cook in convection oven for 6 to 8 minutes. Add fried eggs to taste.

Late night (or should I say early morning) visits began with Pat, the waitress, checking out your group through the front window, before deciding whether to let you in or not.

Here's a clip from 1978.

I didn't realize Denco's lasted that long(1978 and later). I was at OU 1963-67 and it thrived then, I think mostly because dorms and sorority housed made the girls return by 1AM or maybe earlier on weekends, and oftentimes the male students would go there to eat after taking their dates home. There were very few places to eat in Norman at that late hour.

Originally Posted by SoonerNow View Post
    I didn't realize Denco's lasted that long(1978 and later). I was at OU 1963-67 and it thrived then, I think mostly because dorms and sorority housed made the girls return by 1AM or maybe earlier on weekends, and oftentimes the male students would go there to eat after taking their dates home. There were very few places to eat in Norman at that late hour.
    Absolutely correct. I was at OU from 64-70. Denco's was one of three places open after 10PM. The other two were the Sooner Restaurant and the Sooner Grill.
    When I started in 64, the girls were locked down at 1 AM on Friday and Saturday. Earlier on the other nights. IIRC, that changed to 2 AM some time in 67/68.
    I only saw one woman, not a waitress, at Dencos late at night. Some frat guy brought his drunk date. She nearly caused a riot. Cops called and they emptied the place out.
    FWIW, my mother loved the place.

I never was a fan of the Denco Darlin. Only tried it once. They did have an enchilada plate which I preferred. Two enchi's with the infamous chili, beans, and rice. Also with a Taco on a side plate. There was enough grease in that taco to lube a 18 wheeler. Seriously, it would shoot out when you bit in. The Taco was completely stuffed with kind of a stew meat rather than your usual hamburger meat. Big chunks of meat about 1/2 inch in diameter. About 60% meat and 30% onions and another 20% grease. Yes, you could get the enchi plate with "two looking at you".

No one has mentioned the hot peppers or the hot sauce. They brought a bowl of small peppers about the size of your little finger. Hottest frickin peppers I've ever tasted. The hot sauce was these little peppers and onions chopped with a touch of tomato sauce. It was so thick, it wouldn't pour. Served in Gerber's baby food jars.

Now, if one was particularly brave, one could order the enchi plate with two looking and dump a jar of the hot sauce on top.

You could tell who had been to Denco about 2 PM the next day. Those enchis, chili, peppers and grease would hit bottom, the guys eyes would cross and he'd run to the bathroom. The saying was you could thread a needle at 20 feet after a night at Dencos.

BTW, Dencos' stood for Denver Bus Company. It was the dinner for the Denver Bus Company station located across the street.
    3 users like RocketCitySooner's post: 1stTimeCaller, OU48A, SoonerNow

Many fond memories of Dencos. We would drop our dates at 1 AM, watch Shock Theater at the frat house, play cards till daylight and then go to Denco's for enchi's and two lookin for breakfast.

One night, one of our crew was too drunk to go inside so we left him sleeping in the car. Jerry was about 6'2" and weighed about 220. About 20 minutes later, a Norman cop came in and asked if anyone knew this drunk indian outside? We admitted we did and the cop told us to come outside before they shot the SOB. When we got outside, Jerry was leaning up against the cop car. He had treed the other cop who was standing on top of our car with his revolver drawn. Evidently, the two cops had woke Jerry up and he wasn't happy. Jerry's best buddy (half his size) slapped him aside the head, told him to leave the cops alone, and get in the car.

Just another one of those nights where I was lucky not to get arrested or shot.
    5 users like RocketCitySooner's post: 1stTimeCaller, OU48A, oucub23, Petro-Sooner, SoonerNow

Ah, Denco's as I remember it, and a classic Denco's tale. What year was it?

Ah, Denco's as I remember it, and a classic Denco's tale. What year was it?
    Fall of 1967.

another tale of Jerry and his buddy Mike. As I said Jerry was around 220 and Mike might have been 130. One night around 1AM I heard this strange noise. It went Uhh, Uhh, Uhh, whump, whump, whump. Then quiet. Then 30 seconds later it repeated including the whump, whump whump. After this happed about 3 or 4 times I investigated. Mike and Jerry had double dated on our formal night. Jerry was passed out (you see a trend here?). Mike was trying to drag Jerry up a flight of stairs. He would pull him up three steps, the uhh, uhh, uhh, then he would lose his grip and jerry would slide back down, the whump, whump, whump. Several of us got Jerry to bed.

The rest of the story was Jerry was wearing a white tuxedo. Mike had drug him from the parking lot across the street and into the frat house. He drug him maybe 30 yards in that white tuxedo.
    3 users like RocketCitySooner's post: OU48A, SoonerNow, tennsooner

Originally Posted by RocketCitySooner View Post
    Fall of 1967.

another tale of Jerry and his buddy Mike. As I said Jerry was around 220 and Mike might have been 130. One night around 1AM I heard this strange noise. It went Uhh, Uhh, Uhh, whump, whump, whump. Then quiet. Then 30 seconds later it repeated including the whump, whump whump. After this happed about 3 or 4 times I investigated. Mike and Jerry had double dated on our formal night. Jerry was passed out (you see a trend here?). Mike was trying to drag Jerry up a flight of stairs. He would pull him up three steps, the uhh, uhh, uhh, then he would lose his grip and jerry would slide back down, the whump, whump, whump. Several of us got Jerry to bed.

The rest of the story was Jerry was wearing a white tuxedo. Mike had drug him from the parking lot across the street and into the frat house. He drug him maybe 30 yards in that white tuxedo.
    Great story...but how did Denco's fit into that one?

Great story...but how did Denco's fit into that one?
    Simple, we went to Denco's for breakfast after we put Jerry to bed.
    The following users like this post: SoonerNow

What do you remember about Pat and/or Benny? I can remember someone told me all of the servers at Denco were outpatients at Central State Mental Hospital, and I had no trouble believing that. I was keenly aware that I had never before seen a restaurant quite like that one.

I never heard that. Nor do I remember Pat or Benny.

Originally Posted by RocketCitySooner View Post
    I never heard that. Nor do I remember Pat or Benny.
    Are you Jerry?

My first trip to Denco was summer of 1986. Summer Rush for the fraternities. The Rush guys would come pick us rushees up, then take us 18 year old, just graduated high school boys to Norman, get us drunk, show us some college life, then take us back home. That was a hell of a summer.
    The following users like this post: OUDoc

Wasn't there a time after Denco's burned that there was a new Denco's at the same location, only it was a modern building and a legit type of restaurant, much nicer than the original Denco? How long did that last, as it now seems to be gone, right?...FWIW

Originally Posted by mgsooner View Post
    That totally depends on what time you are eating said Darlin’, and to what degree of inebriation you are in at the time.
    The following users like this post: mgsooner

Wasn't there a time after Denco's burned that there was a new Denco's at the same location, only it was a modern building and a legit type of restaurant, much nicer than the original Denco? How long did that last, as it now seems to be gone, right?...FWIW
    Yea, I graduated in ‘85 and it was still more of a restaurant than the old kitchen/bowling alley/hairnet days, but also pre-burn.
    2 users like Crazyivan's post: ab5sr, SoonerNow

My first trip to Denco was summer of 1986. Summer Rush for the fraternities. The Rush guys would come pick us rushees up, then take us 18 year old, just graduated high school boys to Norman, get us drunk, show us some college life, then take us back home. That was a hell of a summer.
    That must have been a different school than Oklahoma. The Inter Fraternity Council strictly prohibited the drinking of alcoholic beverages at all fraternity events.

Are you Jerry?
    I'm not jerry but there was a Jerry in my pledge class. Jerry W.

Was I the only one that crushed the stale chips and then dumped them on the entire mess PRIOR to applying the aforementioned Green Goddess?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    3 users like Bubblehead's post: Crazyivan, soonerbornsoonerbrett, Uncle Mo

Originally Posted by Bubblehead View Post
    Was I the only one that crushed the stale chips and then dumped them on the entire mess PRIOR to applying the aforementioned Green Goddess?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Level: Expert
    3 users like soonerbornsoonerbrett's post: Bubblehead, Slytherin, Uncle Mo

Originally Posted by oucub23 View Post
    How about I come over to your house and whip your young butt on your front lawn! Don’t baspheme about Dencos DArling you young punk!

From the article:

The dish pit on home game days was chaos. Was always fun when the back door would open, because you literally never knew who was walking in. Steve Owens, players, coaches...

I still have some of the red cups I 'borrowed'.
    The following users like this post: 1stTimeCaller

What was green goddess?

Originally Posted by Dagnorbert View Post
    What was green goddess?
    It was the ranch dressing of the 70s and 80s.
    2 users like oucub23's post: Crazyivan, Uncle Mo