The Denco Darlin’ with two lookin at ya is coming back

Posted 13 day(s) ago by 1stTimeCaller2360 Views 112 Replies
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    Seems like the Denco was there in some form for a bit when I got there in 90. We preferred O’s, or when after a quieter vibe, the Vista.
    The following users like this post: Bootlegger'sBoy

Originally Posted by oucub23 View Post
    It was the ranch dressing of the 70s and 80s.
    You can still find it in the salad dressing aisle. (to go with the stale chips).
    3 users like RocketCitySooner's post: Bubblehead, oucub23, Uncle Mo

Originally Posted by OU48A View Post
    I always placed my knife under one side of the plate so the grease would drain to the other side and then as I ate I pushed my food up hill on the plate and let more grease drain off.
    and she didnt take no shit off of no one.

Originally Posted by soonerbornsoonerbrett View Post
    My first trip to Denco was summer of 1986. Summer Rush for the fraternities. The Rush guys would come pick us rushees up, then take us 18 year old, just graduated high school boys to Norman, get us drunk, show us some college life, then take us back home. That was a hell of a summer.
    You is old AF.
    2 users like 1stTimeCaller's post: Mixer!, SoonersGiantsMetsThunderBruinsLiverpool

Originally Posted by 1stTimeCaller View Post
    You is old AF.
    Eating at Denco did that to a man.
    2 users like oucub23's post: 1stTimeCaller, Mixer!

You is old AF.
    Dude, SoonerNow and RocketCitySooner were hanging out there before I was born!!! I may be old AF, but them bros is oldER AF!
    The following users like this post: 1stTimeCaller

OK folks, I'm 61, graduated in 1978. When it comes to the Darlin I've been there and been done in by that.

The question here is similar to Jurassic Park, not so much if we can bring back the Darlin, but should we?
    5 users like Plano78's post: Morningwood, oucub23, ThievingMagpie, Uncle Mo, Yuck Fu

My first trip to Denco was summer of 1986. Summer Rush for the fraternities. The Rush guys would come pick us rushees up, then take us 18 year old, just graduated high school boys to Norman, get us drunk, show us some college life, then take us back home. That was a hell of a summer.
    Originally Posted by RocketCitySooner View Post
    That must have been a different school than Oklahoma. The Inter Fraternity Council strictly prohibited the drinking of alcoholic beverages at all fraternity events.
    I went through rush that same summer. They never took me to Denco's but I do remember drinking in public a lot more than I was previously used to. Rush changed a lot the very next year.
    The following users like this post: soonerbornsoonerbrett

Originally Posted by OUDoc View Post
    I went through rush that same summer. They never took me to Denco's but I do remember drinking in public a lot more than I was previously used to. Rush changed a lot the very next year.
    I was being sarcastic. Every rush party I went to had at least one keg. The IFC policing fraternity drinking was a farce.
    Frats had to notify the IFC if they intended to hold a party on campus where more than 10?, 12? people attended.
    The IFC would send a representative to ensure there was no alcohol. Sure, the Beta's inspected the Fiji's on one weekend. The next weekend the Fiji's inspected the Betas. Talk about "See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil." The only frat that was serious about no drinking was the Delts. They drank in the parking lot.
    Back in the sixties, it was against the law to possess any alcohol on state property. The frat houses were considered state property to get around the requirement to live in University housing.

Dude, SoonerNow and RocketCitySooner were hanging out there before I was born!!! I may be old AF, but them bros is oldER AF!
    So correct, I was ordering my enchi plate with two looking 22 years before Soonerbornsoonerbrett put on his first pair of huggies.
    3 users like RocketCitySooner's post: soonerbornsoonerbrett, SoonerNow, Uncle Mo

Originally Posted by OUDoc View Post
    Did it change because of the flag pole incident at Phi Kappa Psi? I seem to remember a big crack down when I was there in the mid-80s.

***Edit. Nevermind. That was 1994.

So correct, I was ordering my enchi plate with two looking 22 years before Soonerbornsoonerbrett put on his first pair of huggies.
    And 42 years before he put his last pair on.

The following users like this post: oucub23

Originally Posted by Plano78 View Post
    OK folks, I'm 61, graduated in 1978. When it comes to the Darlin I've been there and been done in by that.

The question here is similar to Jurassic Park, not so much if we can bring back the Darlin, but should we?
    Absolutely!! Along with Orin’s and Pinnochio’s.
    2 users like Crazyivan's post: kingswitz, Uncle Mo

Originally Posted by Crazyivan View Post
    Well, we can do without Urine's, but a return to Winchesters would be quite cool.
    The following users like this post: yaz67mvp

They are right when they say growing old ain't for sissies, and I'll say that it's a whole lot better than never having been here.

Well, we can do without Urine's, but a return to Winchesters would be quite cool.
    My favorite hangout.

My cholesterol is up due to reading this thread.
    The following users like this post: kingswitz

Originally Posted by Sooner Mommy View Post
    My lubrication is up due to reading this thread.
    FI

Originally Posted by Crazyivan View Post
    Wow. I had totally forgotten about Pinnochio's.
    2 users like oucub23's post: Clark W. Griswold, Crazyivan

Originally Posted by SoonerNow View Post
    FI
    Do you know me well enough to say that?

He overshot the landing pretty badly.
    2 users like oucub23's post: kingswitz, SoonerNow

Originally Posted by ThievingMagpie View Post
    And 42 years before he put his last pair on.

Will I put them on again?

DEPENDS!!!!

4 users like soonerbornsoonerbrett's post: 1stTimeCaller, Mixer!, ThievingMagpie, Uncle Mo

?At issue is the nature of Denco grease.

Originally Posted by SoonerNow View Post
    ?At issue is the nature of Denco grease.
    Some questions are best left unanswered.
    The following users like this post: SoonerNow

Those breadsticks!
    The following users like this post: Crazyivan

The grease at Denco's was reused so many times that it reminded me of what happens to some lubricating oil when it’s undergoing the process of carbonization.

Originally Posted by OU48A View Post
    The grease at Denco's was reused so many times that it reminded me of what happens to some lubricating oil when it’s undergoing the process of carbonization.
    That's bad, isn't it?!...but hey, we survived.
    The following users like this post: OU48A

Originally Posted by Clark W. Griswold View Post
    Those breadsticks!
    Those bowls of garlic butter!
    The following users like this post: Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by kingswitz View Post
    Those bowls of garlic butter!
    Man, I’m still not sure it was butter. But whatever it was, I could drink it!
    The following users like this post: kingswitz

Sunday night with little cash leftover, a Pinnochio's dinner salad with UNLIMITED breadsticks (bathed in garlic butter) kept me alive!
    4 users like Plano78's post: Clark W. Griswold, kingswitz, oucub23, Stinger_1066

Sunday night with little cash leftover, a Pinnochio's dinner salad with UNLIMITED breadsticks (bathed in garlic butter) kept me alive!
    There was Pinnochio's, Mr. Bill's, and the movie theater. What else was in that little strip mall? Is it still there?

The Denco's you went to was the remodeled one. Jack Hooper remodeled it and in 1984 a woman (Lisa Bernbach) who wrote a book about Colleges and College towns rated Denco's the #1 off campus college bar in the nation.

Suffice it to say that she wouldn't have rated the original Denco's. The one you went to was like a white table 5 star restaurant compaired to the original.

Originally Posted by Yuck Fu View Post
    The Denco's you went to was the remodeled one. Jack Hooper remodeled it and in 1984 a woman (Lisa Bernbach) who wrote a book about Colleges and College towns rated Denco's the #1 off campus college bar in the nation.

Suffice it to say that she wouldn't have rated the original Denco's. The one you went to was like a white table 5 star restaurant compared to the original.
    I went to the Denco upgrade once, and thought, "the hell, this place has no character. Where's Pat? Where's Benny? WTF indoor plumbing!

Originally Posted by Slytherin View Post
    There was Pinnochio's, Mr. Bill's, and the movie theater. What else was in that little strip mall? Is it still there?
    First time I ever saw Rocky Horror was in that theater! Must have been 74/75?
    The following users like this post: Slytherin

It’s still there but OU bought it a few years back. There’s a Ratcliffes Books, a community food pantry/bank for students, and several other quasi university organizations there now.

What was the name of the convenience store that was on the South end of Stubbeman?

Originally Posted by kingswitz View Post
    It’s still there but OU bought it a few years back. There’s a Ratcliffes Books, a community food pantry/bank for students, and several other quasi university organizations there now.

What was the name of the convenience store that was on the South end of Stubbeman?
    Half Acre aka Half Ass
    4 users like 1stTimeCaller's post: elguapo99, kingswitz, Slytherin, Stinger_1066

Half Acre aka Half Ass
    That place took checks...from dorm students. It’s amaz they stayed in business at all...although I guess the $5 atm fee off set the losses...

Did you graduate from Plano in 78? If so, then you and I were at OU at the exact same time. I spend many an evening drinking pitchers and eating those breadsticks. It started out as only Sunday, but then soon became a midweek thing too.

Half Acre aka Half Ass
    I lived in Parker house in Cate Center. The windows of our lounge opened up towards Stubeman Village. Made it easier to get to Half Ass when we needed more beer.

Had a dorm mate who dropped out of school early one semester, but they let him stay living there for the remainder of the semester. Every afternoon we'd watch him leave through the lounge window and return with a case of Bud bottles.

By the end of each evening the case would be gone, and he would peel all the labels off and plaster them on his dorm room door. He covered that thing over multiple times that semester.

This was during the Iranian hostage crisis. He said he was "drinking for the hostages".

Good times.

Originally Posted by Stinger_1066 View Post
    Did you graduate from Plano in 78? If so, then you and I were at OU at the exact same time. I spend many an evening drinking pitchers and eating those breadsticks. It started out as only Sunday, but then soon became a midweek thing too.

I lived in Parker house in Cate Center. The windows of our lounge opened up towards Stubeman Village. Made it easier to get to Half Ass when we needed more beer.

Had a dorm mate who dropped out of school early one semester, but they let him stay living there for the remainder of the semester. Every afternoon we'd watch him leave through the lounge window and return with a case of Bud bottles.

By the end of each evening the case would be gone, and he would peel all the labels off and plaster them on his dorm room door. He covered that thing over multiple times that semester.

This was during the Iranian hostage crisis. He said he was "drinking for the hostages".

Good times.
    They let you have beer in University Housing? People got expelled for that when I was at OU.

They let you have beer in University Housing? People got expelled for that when I was at OU.
    It was like 1936.....rules were different after prohibition was repealed.
    2 users like SoonersGiantsMetsThunderBruinsLiverpool's post: 1stTimeCaller, Stinger_1066

Ah, Stubbeman. 85 cent watered down draws from Bill's and stumbling into Papa John's to order carryout pizzas on the way home

Originally Posted by SoonersGiantsMetsThunderBruinsLiverpool View Post
    It was like 1936.....rules were different after prohibition was repealed.
    Had nothing to do with prohibition. I attended OU from 1964-1970. Possession and consumption of alcohol was prohibited by state law on all state property including student housing at state universities and at athletic events. I knew some who were placed upon probation for violation.

Had nothing to do with prohibition. I attended OU from 1964-1970. Possession and consumption of alcohol was prohibited by state law on all state property including student housing at state universities and at athletic events. I knew some who were placed upon probation for violation.
    Yeah, I was actually joking about stingers age.

I know early 90s dorm life was tough to get alcohol in...luckily we had Mr Bills and the Rome.

Originally Posted by SoonersGiantsMetsThunderBruinsLiverpool View Post
    Yeah, I was actually joking about stingers age.

I know early 90s dorm life was tough to get alcohol in...luckily we had Mr Bills and the Rome.
    I lived in Cate from fall 1978 - spring 1981. Beer was legal then for 18 year olds. I think when RocketCity was there it may have been illegal under 21.

Consumption was not allowed outside on campus, except for game days, which we thought was super hypocritical.

Everyone had a mini fridge in their dorm room. The RA told us that it was OK to consume in our dorm rooms. It just had to remain concealed in-transit. We weren't supposed to have any in the lounge, but that rule was never enforced. Most people in the lounge would pour it into a plastic cup rather than drink straight from the bottle or can.

We smoked weed regularly. Cate was not air conditioned, so we would just open the windows and put a towel down along the base of the door. Busts were very rare.

Rome.
    The following users like this post: Slytherin

No, graduated in 74 but from Santa Rita in Tucson. Started in the Jock Dorms but found it not to be in line to my getting a degree (made Animal House look "domestic"). They let me move to Adams (Tarman Tower) overlooking Stubeman. I remember a pancake place too? Still ate well on the training table (steak 3 times a day), but Pinnochio's breasticks still dwell in my memory.

Village Inn Pancakes! I think that was eventually replaced by a burger joint.

No, graduated in 74 but from Santa Rita in Tucson. Started in the Jock Dorms but found it not to be in line to my getting a degree (made Animal House look "domestic"). They let me move to Adams (Tarman Tower) overlooking Stubeman. I remember a pancake place too? Still ate well on the training table (steak 3 times a day), but Pinnochio's breasticks still dwell in my memory.
    Dang, small world. I went to Palo Verde high school in Tucson and left to join the Army in 1974.

Originally Posted by Stinger_1066 View Post
    Consumption was not allowed outside on campus, except for game days, which we thought was super hypocritical.
    We had “liquor by the wink” on game days back then…

But I never drank before a OU football game and still haven’t
    We always had lots of dances with beer on campus.

76 to 80 here. Seeing Pat on the video really brought back memories. Crunched up chips, green goddess and french dressing was my topping and of course two looking. Had one buddy that always ordered an extra side of grease. Pat would bring it in a bowl. Depending on the alcohol content of the night, I saw just about everything is the place go into a darling including paper napkins.