#23 Oklahoma at #7 Texas Tech

Posted 5 day(s) ago by chsguy20134922 Views 296 Replies
Page 6 of 6 4 5 6
    Originally Posted by bsdsooner View Post
    Right now, I’m not even sure he’s the best freshman in the Big 12.
    dumbazz fans like you....and 19....and lax..... are why rayford didn't want trae coming to ou....

give it up to james.....
    career high points in back2back games....
    trae should have been feeding him all night.....might have had 35....

Positives: McGusty and James played well. Muni did decent as well.

Negatives: Trae Young still can't shoot.

Last 9 games, Trae is shooting 40% from the floor and 30% from 3. He is making 3 3s per game on 10 attempts and 8 fgs on 22 attempts.

In the 4 straight losses, Trae is 7-41 (17%) from 3
    6 users like chsguy2013's post: blackfrancois, KABOOKIE, laxtothemax12, No19Sooner, OU812, RockE

Originally Posted by chsguy2013 View Post
    Positives: McGusty and James played well. Muni did decent as well.

Negatives: Trae Young still can't shoot.

Last 9 games, Trae is shooting 40% from the floor and 30% from 3. He is making 3 3s per game on 10 attempts and 8 fgs on 22 attempts.

In the 4 straight losses, Trae is 7-41 (17%) from 3
    he's trash -- ginger_boy

Originally Posted by laxtothemax12 View Post
    Going 4-16 and 0-9 from 3 with 4 costly TO's in the last 5 minutes have NOTHING to do with it
    I'm too tired to try to clean up how this started but maybe nor'easter peter will.

Originally Posted by Boognish View Post
    I hate to pick on the guy, but Lattin's stat line was pretty awful.
    2 rebounds, 2 steals, 3 fouls, 0 pts.

Ouch.
    It's possible he was better his freshman year. He's a nice guy but he is only playing because we have no one else.

We've been relying on him down low for 4 years now and he hasn't performed. He just doesn't have a skill set to be a difference maker. When he put his name out there for the nba draft last year i was shocked at his delusional optimism.

Originally Posted by 87sooner View Post
    he's trash -- ginger_boy
    Are you drunk tonight? Your name calling is at an all-time high here, buddy
    2 users like OhioBornSoonerBred's post: BobStoopsGinger, No19Sooner

so 87, you good with TY's stats?

You don't think he might need to make better choices? TY is a stud, no doubt and will do well in the NBA. With that said, his stats over the last 9 games, 4 especially are not good. Hell, if anyone else shot that much with those % everyone would be screaming to bench the guy.

dumbazz fans like you....and 19....and lax..... are why rayford didn't want trae coming to ou....
    Bro you can't even use a proper ellipses on your posts............................................. it's hit or miss with those reasons my guy. If he went to KU or UK you think he get's to jack up all these 3's and play 38 minutes a game and average 29/9?? Hell no. He wouldn't have a good NBA stock had he just been another 5 star at UK or playing with Graham and co.

I'm sure Rayford put this down on his pros and cons list at the top of the OU con list that Landthieves posters are "dumbazzes" in the eyes of some dude who's probably been taking classes at OU since 1987 with a Blutarsky GPA
    The following users like this post: RockE

no, it's because he knew OU wouldn't get very far. Regardless of your perception we were loaded with league talent he prob has a better eye for it. It actually worked out better for TY though because everyone sees how special he can be.
    2 users like Soonerjeepman's post: BobStoopsGinger, laxtothemax12

how much has he fallen in conference play?
    Non Conference play: 47.4% from the field, 41.3% from 3, 122 total assists, 47 total turnovers (2.6 assist to turnover ratio)

Conference play: 40.7% from the field, 33.8% from 3, 110 total assists, 87 total turnovers (1.26 assist to turnover ratio)
    The following users like this post: northspeter

give it up to james.....
    I will. We've needed someone to step up and hit some shots. This team has not been balanced since they began big 12 play so hopefully they can make teams defend everyone, or at least more than just Trae.
    2 users like RockE's post: BobStoopsGinger, laxtothemax12

Originally Posted by laxtothemax12 View Post
    Bro you can't even use a proper ellipses on your posts............................................. it's hit or miss with those reasons my guy. If he went to KU or UK you think he get's to jack up all these 3's and play 38 minutes a game and average 29/9?? Hell no. He wouldn't have a good NBA stock had he just been another 5 star at UK or playing with Graham and co.

I'm sure Rayford put this down on his pros and cons list at the top of the OU con list that Landthieves posters are "dumbazzes" in the eyes of some dude who's probably been taking classes at OU since 1987 with a Blutarsky GPA
    The following users like this post: laxtothemax12

give it up to james.....
    I will give it up to him as well. Reality is, James has been OU's 2nd best player this year. Add his defense with his offense this year, and he's easily the 2nd best player. McGusty played well tonight as well. Would love to see him continue to contribute. Reality is, last 4 games, Trae Young hasn't played well (or close to what he did before hand). So if James and McGusty can continue, and Trae goes back towards his averages, then OU will win.
    The following users like this post: northspeter

Originally Posted by Quik Sand View Post
    Pretty good start
    No d. We have been exposed.

Originally Posted by OU812 View Post
    TY is playing more like a freshman as the season grinds on. He’s talented for sure, but he doesn’t have the best handles and he has some WTF turnovers too often. He’s a great player, but his game needs to mature.

There was no way OU was going to win tonight, tho. This team is SOFT.
    actually, he has great handles. Most of his turnovers are when he's a little out of control and drives into trouble...then tries to leave his feet and tries to find an open man. Also, he's not used to playing against so many opponents who have legit height/reach...so some of his passes get tipped/knocked off course for someone else to steal. The difference in this game came down to a few sloppy turnovers down the stretch (James, Trae) and Trae's missed 3's. If he hits just a couple of those....good chance OU wins. This team just really struggles to maintain composure down the stretch in tight games (especially when trailing...even slightly). Seems like we keep it close until the last 2 mins....and then the wtf turnover, the wtf 3 we take clanks, we give up an easy basket, etc. They just seem to choke a bit when it matters most. Fact is, there is not much of a real difference between the top team in the conference and the bottom. On a neutral court I'd say that 8 of these Big12 teams would probably be close to .500 in a 10 game series against any of the other 8. I mean, osu beats KU and WVU on the road....and still middle of the pack.

Originally Posted by Soonerjeepman View Post
    so 87, you good with TY's stats?

You don't think he might need to make better choices? TY is a stud, no doubt and will do well in the NBA. With that said, his stats over the last 9 games, 4 especially are not good. Hell, if anyone else shot that much with those % everyone would be screaming to bench the guy.

yo dumbazz.....i was the first and only one who said trae needed to play better ....while all the dumbazzes were blaming everyone but trae....
    but let's not be stupid......trae is still the best player in the country.....and i'm not worried at all about him....
    he's a freshman....he'll figure it out...

Originally Posted by chsguy2013 View Post
    I will give it up to him as well. Reality is, James has been OU's 2nd best player this year. Add his defense with his offense this year, and he's easily the 2nd best player. McGusty played well tonight as well. Would love to see him continue to contribute. Reality is, last 4 games, Trae Young hasn't played well (or close to what he did before hand). So if James and McGusty can continue, and Trae goes back towards his averages, then OU will win.
    i've been told everyone but trae are trash/div 2 players.....so don't get your hopes up....
    and after tonite....some dumbazzes are starting to think trae is average...

Originally Posted by CrimsonHeaven View Post
    No d. We have been exposed.
    It wasn’t bad tonight until we built the whole defense around two guys with (dubiously) four fouls not touching anyone. Teams shoot above their average against us, but they also seem to shoot way above average on, say, contested off-balance 18-footers. As often as I yell at the TV for totally busted defense, I just throw my hands up because there was nothing more to do. This team has no chemistry and I’m becoming convinced it gives opponents a psychological boost.

Originally Posted by 1stGenSooner View Post
    Had a discussion about TY with a guy at work today. He kept going on about how Trae is regarded as a 5-7 pick by supposed professionals who know drafts and talent. I don't see it. He has a good shot - when he can get it off. He's soft against defenses that push him around. Doesn't play much defense, takes ill-advised shots, and has a lot of turnovers. Sounds like Westbrook. I'd say another year of college would help him, but people are willing to pay him millions and he'd be stupid to not take it.
    not to put anyone off...but these guys are getting paid to evaluate talent that will cost millions of dollars...to hopefully bring in millions of dollars. I would trust them more than myself...or anyone not paid to do it.
    The following users like this post: BobStoopsGinger

Trae came out of the blocks like a race horse this year. I think everyone, including his coach and dad (per his own words) didn't expect that kind of production. These last few games he's come back down to earth. He's probably not as good as he played against Oregon, TCU....but not as bad as he's looked lately. Plus, he could be getting tired and worn out. I mean, he's a freshman and not used to this many games and this kind of intensity every game. He will always take a few "wtf?" shots because he always has. It's kind of like Mayfield scrambling. Sometimes he ran around, lost yardage and ended up getting sacked....and sometimes he made a jaw-dropping play that went for a 1st down or TD. Trae is a bit of the same kind of risk-taker/play-maker. Got to take the good with the bad. He'll get better, but it's unlikely we'll see it happen at OU next year. Too bad, I'd love to have him back next year.
    The following users like this post: BoomSoon2016

i've been told everyone but trae are trash/div 2 players.....so don't get your hopes up....
    and after tonite....some dumbazzes are starting to think trae is average...
    I don't think I've called them trash or D2 players...BUT I also didn't call them future league guys like you. Can't you just admit that the other players are not high D1 caliber guys? There is a reason most (if not all) were NOT recruited to the bluebloods, like you seem to think.

IF they are at that level then LK has done a horrible job coaching because they sure are not playing that way.

Originally Posted by gratefulRed View Post
    Trae came out of the blocks like a race horse this year. I think everyone, including his coach and dad (per his own words) didn't expect that kind of production. These last few games he's come back down to earth. He's probably not as good as he played against Oregon, TCU....but not as bad as he's looked lately. Plus, he could be getting tired and worn out. I mean, he's a freshman and not used to this many games and this kind of intensity every game. He will always take a few "wtf?" shots because he always has. It's kind of like Mayfield scrambling. Sometimes he ran around, lost yardage and ended up getting sacked....and sometimes he made a jaw-dropping play that went for a 1st down or TD. Trae is a bit of the same kind of risk-taker/play-maker. Got to take the good with the bad. He'll get better, but it's unlikely we'll see it happen at OU next year. Too bad, I'd love to have him back next year.
    yup..I'll add, unfortunately I think everyone, players/coaches/fans just stand around and wait for him to "save" us...hence the 2-7 record lately.

So I guess my OU BB 'giveashitometer' is broken. I was just watching Shaun White win his 3rd gold medal on the half pipe and didn't even know OU was playing tonight. The sad thing is I still would have been watching the Olympics even if I had known.
    2 users like fmamk's post: BoomSoon2016, laxtothemax12

yo dumbazz.....i was the first and only one who said trae needed to play better ....while all the dumbazzes were blaming everyone but trae....
    but let's not be stupid......trae is still the best player in the country.....and i'm not worried at all about him....
    he's a freshman....he'll figure it out...
    jeeze dude, can't you actually have a "conversation" without calling people names...lol. Guess that makes ya feel like a big man. Good job~
    The following users like this post: OhioBornSoonerBred

Originally Posted by fmamk View Post
    So I guess my OU BB 'giveashitometer' is broken. I was just watching Shaun White win his 3rd gold medal on the half pipe and didn't even know OU was playing tonight. The sad thing is I still would have been watching the Olympics even if I had known.
    nice, I missed his qualifying run. What did he score?

Gee, playing great until Big 12 defense's took him out of his game. TY has not seen anything yet. The NBA will be a much bigger step then the Big 12

Well one bright spot tonight was McGusty hopefully figuring things out and James having another solid night. Now if only Doolittle could get something going I think this team could be pretty darn good.

We have to get Trae to be what he was the KU game where he was more concerned with getting other guys good looks rather than himself. We're not gonna win many games with him shooting deep threes like he was tonight, other than once in a blue moon when he actually hits a few of them. It seems like he's hell bent on proving he has this incredible range that I've yet to see. Making 1/5 of your 30 footers doesn't mean you have range, it means you got lucky once in awhile.

i saw a glimmer of hope tonite from doolittle for the first time in a long time...
    2 users like 87sooner's post: laxtothemax12, RockE

It really isn't. He wanted Trae at a blue blood because he didn't get to experience it himself. The support at blue bloods is in a different stratosphere to what he's getting here but blue bloods have their share of dumbasses too.

This guy is just so fekkin miserable and depressed by his negativity that it's hard to imagine any team having more than one of him to laugh at.
    The following users like this post: No19Sooner

i saw a glimmer of hope tonite from doolittle for the first time in a long time...
    Yep. Since last season. It's frustrating to think where this team would be if he had continued to build on his freshman year. He came in looking like a less talented version of himself as a freshman and has been trying to catch up to that the whole season.

Originally Posted by gratefulRed View Post
    actually, he has great handles. Most of his turnovers are when he's a little out of control and drives into trouble...then tries to leave his feet and tries to find an open man. Also, he's not used to playing against so many opponents who have legit height/reach...so some of his passes get tipped/knocked off course for someone else to steal. The difference in this game came down to a few sloppy turnovers down the stretch (James, Trae) and Trae's missed 3's. If he hits just a couple of those....good chance OU wins. This team just really struggles to maintain composure down the stretch in tight games (especially when trailing...even slightly). Seems like we keep it close until the last 2 mins....and then the wtf turnover, the wtf 3 we take clanks, we give up an easy basket, etc. They just seem to choke a bit when it matters most. Fact is, there is not much of a real difference between the top team in the conference and the bottom. On a neutral court I'd say that 8 of these Big12 teams would probably be close to .500 in a 10 game series against any of the other 8. I mean, osu beats KU and WVU on the road....and still middle of the pack.
    Actually, Trae's handle needs some work. He loses the ball too often under pressure. It isn't just passes getting tipped. He is losing control and getting stripped more and more when he is dribbling. Part of it is that he isn't big and strong and so a tough defender can give him a slight bump and make a steal.

I don't think his handle is close to Steph Curry level at this point.

Originally Posted by SoonerInKS View Post
    Well one bright spot tonight was McGusty hopefully figuring things out and James having another solid night. Now if only Doolittle could get something going I think this team could be pretty darn good.

We have to get Trae to be what he was the KU game where he was more concerned with getting other guys good looks rather than himself. We're not gonna win many games with him shooting deep threes like he was tonight, other than once in a blue moon when he actually hits a few of them. It seems like he's hell bent on proving he has this incredible range that I've yet to see. Making 1/5 of your 30 footers doesn't mean you have range, it means you got lucky once in awhile.
    Trae has not learned the outer limit of his range efficiency. This is a tough thing for a scorer because you believe you will make it every time. I was a good outside shooter and you have a lot of confidence. The problem is that there is an outer limit at which your mechanics break down and you simply will not shoot a good percentage, especially if you are rushed or don't get set. Sure, you will occasionally make the "wow" long range one, but not consistently.

This is why no one can make a high percentage from half court. The mechanics just don't allow for accuracy from this range. Moving in from there, different players will have different ranges. However, every player will have his own individual distance at which he is pushing the outer boundary of his sound mechanics and hence efficiency.

Trae has not really discovered this in my opinion and so he is jacking shots that are beyond where he should be shooting.

Originally Posted by fmamk View Post
    watching Shaun's gold winning run was high drama. Seeing his emotional reaction and sharing that moment with his mother and father was truly awesome. It's that kind of moment that make the Olympics great. Have to admit....I teared up watching that.

Originally Posted by Sooner1inOregon View Post
    Actually, Trae's handle needs some work. He loses the ball too often under pressure. It isn't just passes getting tipped. He is losing control and getting stripped more and more when he is dribbling. Part of it is that he isn't big and strong and so a tough defender can give him a slight bump and make a steal.

I don't think his handle is close to Steph Curry level at this point.

so..his handle is not up to the level of a freaking veteran NBA ALL-STAR? At least you're not holding him to a difficult standard....considering the kid is a true freshman, lol. The kid is going to have some turnovers when he drives and pushes the ball as much as he does. sure, he will get better...but he's got very good ball skills right NOW. To say otherwise it a bit foolish. You don't drive past WVU's Carter at will....if you don't have "handle".

Originally Posted by uhlesses View Post
    TY has not seen anything yet. The NBA will be a much bigger step then the Big 12.
    agree and disagree. i think the game will open up for him when he has nba playmakers around him. his ball handling must improve and will.

he had some good looks today from outside and just shot the ball slightly long or slightly short on basically every shot. but we may not have been in the game without him, as he scored 19 points, 7 assists, and was perfect from the line (11/11). in his postgame, he said, "i know i need to improve, and i will."

keenan evans, the conference's second leading scorer (10 pts/gm behind young), certainly had the better game tonight, leading all with 26.

christian james had 23. he, mcgusty, and mcneace all shot the ball remarkably well. doolittle played some solid d. hopefully they get a boost from this.

trae had no problem picking up that fourth foul today. i'm sure he wishes he had done that in stillwater.

mcneace should be starting now. not sure i would start manek, especially on the road. freeman should only see time in hack-a-shaq mode.

boomer.
    2 users like blackfrancois's post: JBret, laxtothemax12

4 starters played poorly tonite...
    bench (mcgusty/mcneace) .........plus james.....played great....
    But no one played defense

He was much more aggressive to the basket IMO. Still seems timid to shoot outside of like 6 feet. That hustle for the loose ball that fouled him out was better than any effort by anyone all night. Kind of a bullshit way to foul him out on that. Hope he hustles like that and it rubs off on everyone else.

Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    LOL. OK

You do realize that he leads the nation points and assists. Pretty comfortably. That doesn't happen by having a couple of good games.
    LOL. Yeah, he looked great today against Texas. He's going to get his ass handed to him in the pros. He reminds me of Chris Jackson who played for LSU in the late 80s - hit shots that seemed impossible. Went pro - average at best.

LOL. Yeah, he looked great today against Texas.
    i don't know if you'd say "great" compared to some of his games, but trae led all scores with 26, added 7 assists, and hit all 9 of his foul shots.

Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    i don't know if you'd say "great" compared to some of his games, but trae led all scores with 26, added 7 assists, and hit all 9 of his foul shots.
    Yeah and was 7/21 and 3/10.

Yeah and was 7/21 and 3/10.
    so scoring 26 points on 21 shots is not "great."

but he did account for over 60 percent of our scoring with only 3 turnovers.

i am glad some of those 3s started falling for him. had he made as many in lubbock, we probably win the game.

so scoring 26 points on 21 shots is not "great."

but he did account for over 60 percent of our scoring with only 3 turnovers.

i am glad some of those 3s started falling for him. had he made as many in lubbock, we probably win the game.
    17 points on 21 shots. 9 came from the FT line.

17 points on 21 shots. 9 came from the FT line.
    oh. maybe they only say it that way when a player has a really, really "great" game:

"Oklahoma's fabulous freshman point guard had 26 points on just nine field goal attempts, and the 12th-ranked Sooners rallied to beat the fifth-ranked Jayhawks 85-80."

espn article

oh. maybe they only say it that way when a player has a really, really "great" game:

"Oklahoma's fabulous freshman point guard had 26 points on just nine field goal attempts, and the 12th-ranked Sooners rallied to beat the fifth-ranked Jayhawks 85-80."

espn article
    16 on 9 attempts...versus 17 on 21.

LOL. Yeah, he looked great today against Texas. He's going to get his ass handed to him in the pros. He reminds me of Chris Jackson who played for LSU in the late 80s - hit shots that seemed impossible. Went pro - average at best.
    Don't you mean Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf?

Originally Posted by Boognish View Post
    Don't you mean Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf?
    One in the same. Chris Jackson when he played with LSU; which is when I lived in Nashville and watched him along with Shaq and Robert Stanley come to town to play against Vandy.