The Sooner Softball Thread 2012

Posted 993 day(s) ago by OKCChuck52544 Views 968 Replies
Page 18 of 20 8 16 17 18 19 20

Originally Posted by fdubzou View Post
    Wasn't the Thunder game over really early on in the softball game? Those fans should have walked over and gone to support the girls.
    Well you knew once there was a rain delay a good number of the OU fans would go watch it at home. The outfield was fairly empty. 'Bama fans show up a ****ing week early for a football game. You know they weren't going anywhere. The real OU fans were there but the ones that would have filled out the crowd bailed.

Originally Posted by cfin5256 View Post
    Congrats man. Your Tide did a hell of a job.

Ya'll need this emoticon.

Ya'll played great too and I'm just glad we finally got a NC in softball after choking for so many years.

Originally Posted by KCRuf/Nek View Post
    Well you knew once there was a rain delay a good number of the OU fans would go watch it at home. The outfield was fairly empty. 'Bama fans show up a ****ing week early for a football game. You know they weren't going anywhere. The real OU fans were there but the ones that would have filled out the crowd bailed.
    Gotcha.

Young team, hopefully we'll be back

^^JMO. Could be 100% wrong. It does happen...

Originally Posted by Dominic View Post

Ya'll need this emoticon.

Ya'll played great too and I'm just glad we finally got a NC in softball after choking for so many years.
    With the way our teams are built, we could be facing each other for all the marbles again next year. Enjoy it, it's a special time for your softball time!

Originally Posted by RebelStrong View Post
    Has Alabama always been this obnoxious? Ridiculous...

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2
    Yes

This ruins my eveining.

SoonerBounce Guest
    I was drunk last night. PLease forgive my ****ness. But I still disagree that it had anything to do with Gasso. She tried to get the game delayed til the rain stopped b/c her pitcher just threw 3 pitches in the dirt b/c of the rain. If she hadn't tried, then things might have even been worse.

The OU softball team is young but they need to learn to play with more poise.
    They need to get out of their new indoor practice facility some and practice pitching and fielding in the rain.
    I cant help but feel that the Sooners win the series without so many of our mistakes+ we left so many base runners on base and did not make enough timely hits.
    Our team knows this^. We will grow stronger and more determined and live to fight another day.

This season was a net positive for the OU program.

SoonerBounce Guest
    I know it won't happen but would anybody else like it if they moved the bases back a little bit? I just don't like that you have to make a perfect play on an infield ball to get an out on a lot of girls now.

It would totally change the way the game is played. Although you can't tell by ours most 3B play in front of the bag. Sometimes we're talking about almost halfway. If they were farther apart that would change the way the other fielders rotate. You don't always have to make a perfect play but a normal one would have been nice. Some of those plays were on girls that can ****ing fly. Think of watching a baseball game and a fielder knows they have to make a clean play and a strong throw or they won't get the runner. Sometimes I don't like it because on plays up the middle like our SS made she had no chance even with a good throw. Changing the bases would also change the pitching distance. And, with the girls having to wait to try to steal, even an extra five feet would make a world of difference.

It's really exciting when you have a girl on second and the 3B is way in and you've got a wheel play on and it's bang bang bang.
    The following users like this post: cfin5256

Last edited by KCRuf/Nek; June 7th, 2012 at 06:06 PM.

SoonerBounce Guest
    it's pretty rare in baseball that you have to make an absolutely perfect play to get a runner out at first. In softball it happens nearly every inning

Originally Posted by SoonerBounce View Post
    it's pretty rare in baseball that you have to make an absolutely perfect play to get a runner out at first. In softball it happens nearly every inning
    I didn't say it happens everytime in baseball. And bang bang plays happen in every game. If by a girl making a perfect play you mean fielding it and throwing it cleanly then yes. Many of our issues stemmed from someone being out of position or taking their time while making the play and throwing. 'Bama didn't seem to have any trouble making the plays.

SoonerBounce Guest
    Originally Posted by KCRuf/Nek View Post
    I didn't say it happens everytime in baseball. And bang bang plays happen in every game. If by a girl making a perfect play you mean fielding it and throwing it cleanly then yes. Many of our issues stemmed from someone being out of position or taking their time while making the play and throwing. 'Bama didn't seem to have any trouble making the plays.
    OUr game last night isn't where my question came from. It's something I have always thought about since I started watching softball years ago

I really don't have an answer. Last night's game just showcases the issue. I haven't coached for 20 years but back then the left handed hitter couldn't run up on the pitch like that. Sometimes the girls are a good two to three steps to first after hitting the ball. You couldn't even have part of your foot out of the box or the batter was out.

If I added right the teams each scored 14 runs in the 3 games. It was an even series except Alabama made fewer mental mistakes in the field and on the mound and OU had several runners out stealing.
    Close, but no cigar(Red Auerbach). I'm sure the Sooner players are hurting a lot more than us fans today.
    Really appreciate what the young ladies did this and a Big BOOMER SOONER TO THEM.
    Last night every time I went away from the tv and heard the roar of the crowd, that noise was coming from the Bama fans, Was there c more Bama fans than OU supporters?

They kept mentioning the 2000 softball NC.

Meantime, of course, the last football NC was 2000.

Since then, OU has continued to have a lot of success, but coming in 2nd (football, women's basketball, now softball) just seems to have become our thing.

Originally Posted by 61sooner View Post
    If I added right the teams each scored 14 runs in the 3 games. It was an even series except Alabama made fewer mental mistakes in the field and on the mound and OU had several runners out stealing.
    Close, but no cigar(Red Auerbach). I'm sure the Sooner players are hurting a lot more than us fans today.
    Really appreciate what the young ladies did this and a Big BOOMER SOONER TO THEM.
    Last night every time I went away from the tv and heard the roar of the crowd, that noise was coming from the Bama fans, Was there c more Bama fans than OU supporters?
    We were tossing that around and I thought that before the rain it was at least 80% OU but after three hours you could see, especially in the outfield, that it was pretty empty. I'm sure a lot of OU fans either thought that it would be called(happy bounce?) or delayed enough that they could watch it at home. The 'Bama fans were here and had nowhere else to go. I'm also wondering if when we were up 3-0 and ricketts was cruising if some OU fans didn't say f it when it started pouring.

First of all, congrats to the girls for a great season. I totally agree with Gasso when she said it wasn't meant to be. So many flukey things going on, but Bama deserved the title.

With that said, I see one big issue with OU right now. Jessica Shultz is a liability at catcher. Yes, I know Ricketts was a little wild, but Shultz should have been able to handle most of those. Poor job blocking with the body and relying to much on her glove. She really needs to clean that up for next season.

The team overall needs to tighten up the defense issues (Henson and Vest come to mind the past couple games), but they are a young group.

I do like Michelle Smith's suggestion of practicing in poor weather conditions or simulating poor conditions (practicing with crappy ball or dunking balls in water bucket). Ricketts and team could have used some of those learned skills last night. For whatever reason Bama didn't seem as bothered by the conditions as the Sooners.

It will be interesting to see who on the incoming class will have an impact next year. I have a coworker who played at OU several years ago and is heavily involved in the HS scene tell me other day that Whitney Ellis and Erin Miller will be stars. She thinks Miller will be a starter immediately and Ellis will be the starting catcher after Shultz. She's not as convinced on Dewberry, L Miller, and Self. She is down on the Townsend twins due to "laziness" issues.

Anyone have a good feel for pitching post Ricketts???? Same coworker thought OU was getting a good one out of Australia, but wasn't for sure.

Anyway, great year and hopefully the Sooners can make it back next year and close it out on top. It would be a shame to not win it all with a probable two time national POY.

Originally Posted by RenegadeSooner View Post
    First of all, congrats to the girls for a great season. I totally agree with Gasso when she said it wasn't meant to be. So many flukey things going on, but Bama deserved the title.

With that said, I see one big issue with OU right now. Jessica Shultz is a liability at catcher. Yes, I know Ricketts was a little wild, but Shultz should have been able to handle most of those. Poor job blocking with the body and relying to much on her glove. She really needs to clean that up for next season.

The team overall needs to tighten up the defense issues (Henson and Vest come to mind the past couple games), but they are a young group.

I do like Michelle Smith's suggestion of practicing in poor weather conditions or simulating poor conditions (practicing with crappy ball or dunking balls in water bucket). Ricketts and team could have used some of those learned skills last night. For whatever reason Bama didn't seem as bothered by the conditions as the Sooners.

It will be interesting to see who on the incoming class will have an impact next year. I have a coworker who played at OU several years ago and is heavily involved in the HS scene tell me other day that Whitney Ellis and Erin Miller will be stars. She thinks Miller will be a starter immediately and Ellis will be the starting catcher after Shultz. She's not as convinced on Dewberry, L Miller, and Self. She is down on the Townsend twins due to "laziness" issues.

Anyone have a good feel for pitching post Ricketts???? Same coworker thought OU was getting a good one out of Australia, but wasn't for sure.

Anyway, great year and hopefully the Sooners can make it back next year and close it out on top. It would be a shame to not win it all with a probable two time national POY.
    I used to long snap for years. When I started in the fifth grade the guy that taught me made me learn to not use the laces because in bad weather they're useless. I used to practice snapping wet and muddy footballs. It sounds odd but it really does help.
    Last edited by KCRuf/Nek; June 9th, 2012 at 04:28 AM.

Originally Posted by SoonerSean03 View Post
    I'm ready to not have to see the Bama pitcher any more. Yeesh is she hard to look at.

That's mean. If we are talking homely the whole Ricketts clan qualifies as well as the Aussie on the team. If I'm being kind, then unfortunate looking would be nicer.

It will be interesting to see who on the incoming class will have an impact next year. I have a coworker who played at OU several years ago and is heavily involved in the HS scene tell me other day that Whitney Ellis and Erin Miller will be stars. She thinks Miller will be a starter immediately and Ellis will be the starting catcher after Shultz. She's not as convinced on Dewberry, L Miller, and Self. She is down on the Townsend twins due to "laziness" issues..
    Is this the same friend who also said they weren't qualifying academically?

Originally Posted by OKCChuck View Post
    Is this the same friend who also said they weren't qualifying academically?
    As a matter of fact it is. Apparently she doesn't care for them much....

As a matter of fact it is. Apparently she doesn't care for them much....
    See, I've heard the opposite. I could be wrong, but I heard nothing but great things about their work ethic. They were going try and enroll early, but their mother wanted them to just finish high school.

SoonerBounce Guest
    I've watched Ellis play some since Tball

I've watched Ellis play some since Tball
    I used to love Tball games. The stands were packed and there was always something exciting going on. Plus, the mommy hotness factor was usually off the charts.

Originally Posted by OKCChuck View Post
    See, I've heard the opposite. I could be wrong, but I heard nothing but great things about their work ethic. They were going try and enroll early, but their mother wanted them to just finish high school.
    Works for me. It will be interesting to see which of these incoming freshmen has an impact next year.

Kellani in the lineup as the DP right now as USA takes on Australia on ESPN.

Maybe the OU girls should pay attention to the Aussie girls playing halfway in at the corners.

She got in to pitch but I don't know how she did as ESPN cut to the very important XGames telecast. 13 year olds everywhere are stoked.

Sounds like the sooner softball team is off to a good start this fall. Will be interesting to see how that look against some better competition.

SoonerBounce Guest
    Excited to see Whitney Ellis play. She is the niece of some of my friends. Been watching her a little since tball. sounds like in her first game she had a double and a home run

asked this in another thread but looks like the last 2 recruiting classes have gone back to local kids with hardly anyone from CA.
    Has that pipeline dried up, the link to CA left the staff, local Okie talent better than out West?

Here's what Gasso said back in July:

“We looked all over the country for the best pitchers, the best catchers, the best leadoff hitters and the best strength and athleticism and it all kept falling back on this group of seven athletes. I looked everywhere and these Oklahoma kids kept showing their skills so well and I kept seeing the potential they could have with us.”

Looking at their profiles, they had some other big time schools after them. I guess time will tell.

So how did the Sooner Softball team look in their win this week?

NPF All Starts on Thursday! Saw where they pounded Arizona 23-1. Should be their best test this fall.

Soonersports.com has not updated their site score wise. What were the results vs Butler CC and North Texas State?

I heard it was two wins by BIG margins. Not sure why it's not been posted.

http://newsok.com/article/3748828?slideout=1

An already strong Oklahoma softball team added a huge transfer Thursday, when former Arizona infielder Shelby Pendley joined the Sooners.

OU adds Arizona's leading home run hitter from last season
    Pendley, who led Arizona last season in home runs (19) and slugging percentage (. 703), becomes part of a potent OU lineup that hit a Big 12-record 102 homers last season. The Sooners finished runner-up in the Women's College World Series last spring — and 13 letter winners return, including power hitters Lauren Chamberlain (30 homers), Jessica Shults (20) and Keilani Ricketts (17).
    Pendley was a first-team All-Pac 12 selection. She started 57 games at shortstop last season.
    The sophomore from Rio Rancho, N.M., is eligible immediately.
    “She has so much power, which is one of our strengths already, so adding her to the lineup potentially is lethal because you just can't throw around anybody to get to somebody else,” OU coach Patty Gasso said.

@SoonerSoftball
    Pendley's 19 homers were tied for 13th nationally and two off the Arizona freshman record, while her 55 RBI ranked 30th in the country

MT @grahamhays Best I can tell, Pendley, Chamberlain, Shults and Ricketts combined to hit more HR last season than 279 D-I teams.

Can we get a new thread goin for this year, this one is way too long.....oh and we start the season ranked #2!!!

Holy sh*t, this team is absolutely loaded! The 3-6 of Chamberlain, Ricketts, Shults, and Pendley = Death Row. No reason why they shouldn't win the NC this year.

Re: The Sooner Softball Thread

Originally Posted by WFSooner View Post
    Holy sh*t, this team is absolutely loaded! The 3-6 of Chamberlain, Ricketts, Shults, and Pendley = Death Row. No reason why they shouldn't win the NC this year.
    Can we get Patty to help us recruit for football??

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

SoonerBounce Guest

The Sooner Softball Thread

Why did she transfer

Why doesn't she have to sit out?

Why did she transfer
    To be closer to you.

Season starts tomorrow. Should be a fun ride this season.

SoonerBounce Guest

OU beats Stanford 6-0. Ricketts starts the year off with a no hitter. Also Ricketts, Chamberlain, Schultz and Pendley each hit a home run.

http://www.soonersports.com/gametrac...&startschool=&

Girls play again at 3:30 CST against Oregon State

‏@lukemcconnell1
    Last year, Lauren Chamberlain had 30 HR and 78 RBI for @SoonerSoftball. She had 3 homers and 7 RBIs in two games today. Nice start to 2013.

@sportsiren
    I know it is early but softball world, heads up, Oklahoma beat Stanford 6-0 and Oregon state 14-2. POWER hitting & pitching. #Sooners

Complete Schedule http://www.soonersports.com/sports/w...tbl-sched.html

2-0

The Stanford pitcher Gerhart, is that Toby's sister?

Sooners roll the #5 ranked Oregon 12-0 in 5 innings. Another no-hitter for Ricketts as well as homeruns for Chamberlain, Pendley, and Williams. They beat New Mexico 11-1 in the second of a double header. Pendley and williams both go yard again.
    2 users like MudcrkSooner's post: OU48A, usaosooner

Last edited by MudcrkSooner; February 9th, 2013 at 03:32 PM.