Assault Rifle question?

Posted 1006 day(s) ago by nolesooner70401 Views 2073 Replies
Results 451 to 500 of 2074
Page 10 of 42 8 9 10 11 12 20
  1. #451
    SpankyNek's Avatar
    Posts
    12,393
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Houston (Cypress)

    Originally Posted by Sooners2007 View Post
    If I was looking at a Remington 700 tactical, what caliber should I look at? What's the more common, easy to find, best option, etc?

    Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD
    .30-06 is probably going to be the most readily available standard round.

    Mag rounds, probably 300 win mag. I have an M-77 7mm mag, and it seems to be more scant than the 300 win mag.

    On edit: it appears that their tactical lines are basically only offered in .223 .308 or 300 WinMag. I would guess .308...

    Probably better to just buy an SPS and get 30-06 and swap out furniture (if tactical is a must)

  2. #452

    Re: Assault Rifle question?

    Originally Posted by SpankyNek View Post
    .30-06 is probably going to be the most readily available standard round.

    Mag rounds, probably 300 win mag. I have an M-77 7mm mag, and it seems to be more scant than the 300 win mag.

    On edit: it appears that their tactical lines are basically only offered in .223 .308 or 300 WinMag. I would guess .308...

    Probably better to just buy an SPS and get 30-06 and swap out furniture (if tactical is a must)
    OK so 30.06 is the more commonly available/found round over .308?

    Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

  3. #453
    Fahooglegods's Avatar
    Posts
    5,329
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Right near da beach. Boy-eee!

    Re: Assault Rifle question?

    Originally Posted by Sooners2007 View Post
    OK so 30.06 is the more commonly available/found round over .308?

    Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD
    I wouldn't say that. They are either even or a slight edge to 308 because the military uses it.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

  4. #454
    PigSooner's Avatar
    Posts
    3,557
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Fayetteville, AR

    Assault Rifle question?

    Originally Posted by Sooners2007 View Post
    OK so 30.06 is the more commonly available/found round over .308?

    Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD
    I have no trouble finding ammo for my .308 but everywhere i go there is easily triple the 30-06 ammo

  5. #455

    Re: Assault Rifle question?

    Originally Posted by Fahooglegods View Post
    I wouldn't say that. They are either even or a slight edge to 308 because the military uses it.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    So what would you guys suggest I look at? The .308 or 30.06?

    Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

  6. #456
    PigSooner's Avatar
    Posts
    3,557
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Fayetteville, AR

    Assault Rifle question?

    I just got my .308. So far i am shooting .5 inch groups at 100 yards. My 06 isnt that accurate BUT ot all depends on the gun, rounds, and shooter

  7. #457
    PigSooner's Avatar
    Posts
    3,557
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Fayetteville, AR

    Assault Rifle question?

    Also .308 recoil is not as much even shooting 168 grains

  8. #458

    Re: Assault Rifle question?

    Originally Posted by PigSooner View Post
    I just got my .308. So far i am shooting .5 inch groups at 100 yards. My 06 isnt that accurate BUT ot all depends on the gun, rounds, and shooter
    What did you get? I'm looking at the Remington 700 TAC sniper

    Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

  9. #459
    PigSooner's Avatar
    Posts
    3,557
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Fayetteville, AR

    Assault Rifle question?

    I got a tika T3. I have a remmington 700 ADL .243 and would trust it with my life.
    The following users like this post: Sooners2007


  10. #460
    .
    Last edited by soonerintn; July 19th, 2013 at 09:58 PM.

  11. #461
    Shooter's Avatar
    Posts
    7,486
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Closer to the action than you are.

    Originally Posted by soonerintn View Post
    What's the best online store for getting a travel case for a rifle/equipment?

    I buy Pelicans, usually through Amazon.

  12. #462
    SpankyNek's Avatar
    Posts
    12,393
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Houston (Cypress)

    Originally Posted by PigSooner View Post
    I have no trouble finding ammo for my .308 but everywhere i go there is easily triple the 30-06 ammo
    This.

    There is also the catch 22 now involved with using a standardized military load, as he govt has huge buying power and the capability to corner he market. In addition, .308 (in my opinion) is in far more danger of some sort of ammo ban, if one were ever to occur, based upon the rifles it is more commonly used in, while ought six is probably safe as a hunting use round.

  13. #463
    Fahooglegods's Avatar
    Posts
    5,329
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Right near da beach. Boy-eee!

    Re: Assault Rifle question?

    Originally Posted by PigSooner View Post
    I have no trouble finding ammo for my .308 but everywhere i go there is easily triple the 30-06 ammo
    Right now yeah. 308 is a more common round for hunters since that is one that Remington offers in the 700.

    I guess I really don't have a problem considering where I live. I am able get belts of mil surplus used on the mini guns.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

  14. #464
    Fahooglegods's Avatar
    Posts
    5,329
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Right near da beach. Boy-eee!

    Re: Assault Rifle question?

    Originally Posted by Sooners2007 View Post
    What did you get? I'm looking at the Remington 700 TAC sniper

    Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD
    Check out the Remington 700 TAC with the 18"bull barrel.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

  15. #465
    SpankyNek's Avatar
    Posts
    12,393
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Houston (Cypress)

    Originally Posted by Fahooglegods View Post
    Right now yeah. 308 is a more common round for hunters since that is one that Remington offers in the 700.

    I guess I really don't have a problem considering where I live. I am able get belts of mil surplus used on the mini guns.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Remington offer .30-06 in the 700 as well.

  16. #466
    PigSooner's Avatar
    Posts
    3,557
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Fayetteville, AR

    Originally Posted by Sooners2007 View Post
    What did you get? I'm looking at the Remington 700 TAC sniper

    Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD
    Question,
    What are you looking to shoot and where?

  17. #467
    Originally Posted by PigSooner View Post
    Question,
    What are you looking to shoot and where?
    Well honestly Im a Noob to this stuff, we have about a 250 acre weekend ranch in the family here in Kansas that hosts deer, turkey, etc etc (never been into hunting before) but Im more looking at it just to shoot, and have one hand when SHTF. I have never been a "gun guy" until recently with all the shit thats going on, ive been buying guns that I think will be around, as far as ammo, parts, etc. Not really a "prepper" but at this point im looking at it as Id rather have them and not need them, than need them and not have them, kinda mentality.
    The following users like this post: DRminimega67


  18. #468
    Sooner Bob's Avatar
    Posts
    6,255
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    North of Waterloo Road

    Originally Posted by Sooners2007 View Post
    Well honestly Im a Noob to this stuff, we have about a 250 acre weekend ranch in the family here in Kansas that hosts deer, turkey, etc etc (never been into hunting before) but Im more looking at it just to shoot, and have one hand when SHTF. I have never been a "gun guy" until recently with all the shit thats going on, ive been buying guns that I think will be around, as far as ammo, parts, etc. Not really a "prepper" but at this point im looking at it as Id rather have them and not need them, than need them and not have them, kinda mentality.
    Need any help managing the game population?

  19. #469
    Originally Posted by Fahooglegods View Post
    Check out the Remington 700 TAC with the 18"bull barrel.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    I'd also suggest the Remington 700 5R. It's costs a bit more but has a mil-spec that is the same barrel, or at least the same rifling, used in the military m-24 version.

  20. #470
    Originally Posted by Sooner Bob View Post
    Need any help managing the game population?
    Ha.. maybe. I know its close to if not in Doe season here, and the game cam we have set up snapped a lot of em.
    The following users like this post: Sooner Bob


  21. #471
    PigSooner's Avatar
    Posts
    3,557
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Fayetteville, AR

    Assault Rifle question?

    Originally Posted by Sooner Bob View Post
    Need any help managing the game population?
    Beat me to it
    The following users like this post: Sooner Bob


  22. #472
    Sooner Bob's Avatar
    Posts
    6,255
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    North of Waterloo Road

    I've hunted in Kansas the last couple of years near Garnett. Didn't see a ton of deer, but a few of them that I did see were pretty nice. Just out of bow and muzzleloader range though.

  23. #473
    Yeah over Christmas we went and snagged the game cam, and checked it out... Lots and lots of doe, and we snapped just 2 bucks, 8 and a 10-12 point couldnt exactly tell the last one.

    I was shooting my Glock 26 down hill next to the limestone barn one day and as I was setting up the target a HUGE doe stood up about 10 feet away from me, scared the shit out of me cause I didnt see her. She was as tall as I am standing damn near (maybe not, but a big ****) and just walked away like it was all good?!

    I dont know where Garnett is exactly, our land is in/near Cambridge
    The following users like this post: Sooner Bob


  24. #474
    here's a nice little .308

    http://i.imgur.com/WX3ztMn.jpg

    2 users like 87sooner's post: Sooner Bob, Sooners2007

    Last edited by OrangeBlossom; April 15th, 2013 at 11:28 PM.

  25. #475

  26. #476
    bushmaster06's Avatar
    Posts
    24,830
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    balls deep

    i'd go .308. a bolt action .223 doesn't make too much sense to me.
    The following users like this post: Sooners2007


  27. #477
    Originally Posted by bushmaster06 View Post
    i'd go .308. a bolt action .223 doesn't make too much sense to me.
    Out of curiousity, why not? Just trying to educate myself... thanks!

  28. #478
    bushmaster06's Avatar
    Posts
    24,830
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    balls deep

    bullets are too small for my tastes in that platform.
    The following users like this post: Sooners2007


  29. #479
    Shooter's Avatar
    Posts
    7,486
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Closer to the action than you are.

    Originally Posted by bushmaster06 View Post
    bullets are too small for my tastes in that platform.
    I would say has more to do with cartridge capacity rather than bullet size. Nothing wrong with a bolt action 22-250.

    For me, the problem with a bolt action .223 is that if you are going with a smaller, lighter projectile, you want to increase velocity. One of the advantages of the .223 is that it is small enough to carry a lot of ammo, making it a nice round for a semi-auto. By having a smaller cartridge capacity, however, you give up velocity and range. The advantage of a bolt action is longer range accuracy and you would give up quite a bit of that advantage by going with the .223 over the .308.
    3 users like Shooter's post: Bk2X, Sooner Bob, Sooners2007


  30. #480
    bushmaster06's Avatar
    Posts
    24,830
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    balls deep

    Originally Posted by Shooterms View Post
    I would say has more to do with cartridge capacity rather than bullet size. Nothing wrong with a bolt action 22-250.

    For me, the problem with a bolt action .223 is that if you are going with a smaller, lighter projectile, you want to increase velocity. One of the advantages of the .223 is that it is small enough to carry a lot of ammo, making it a nice round for a semi-auto. By having a smaller cartridge capacity, however, you give up velocity and range. The advantage of a bolt action is longer range accuracy and you would give up quite a bit of that advantage by going with the .223 over the .308.
    in my head, that's how it computes. it came out as "bullets too small".
    4 users like bushmaster06's post: Shooter, Sooner Bob, soonerintn, Sooners2007


  31. #481
    Fahooglegods's Avatar
    Posts
    5,329
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Right near da beach. Boy-eee!

    Definitely the 308. For reasons stated by Bush and shooter.

    A side note. If you are concerned about ammo now may be as good a time as any to learn a trade. Consider learning how to reload you own ammo.

  32. #482
    bushmaster06's Avatar
    Posts
    24,830
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    balls deep

    Originally Posted by Fahooglegods View Post
    Definitely the 308. For reasons stated by Bush and shooter.

    A side note. If you are concerned about ammo now may be as good a time as any to learn a trade. Consider learning how to reload you own ammo.
    Reloading equipment is just as hard to come by as factory ammo these days.

  33. #483
    Sooner Bob's Avatar
    Posts
    6,255
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    North of Waterloo Road

    Originally Posted by bushmaster06 View Post
    Reloading equipment is just as hard to come by as factory ammo these days.
    Yep. I was looking into reloading equipment and can't find much if anything . . . . my FIL has some equipment. I might need to see if he still uses it.

  34. #484
    Bk2X's Avatar
    Posts
    2,437
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    South Norman

    Dillon Precision is the only way to go. They seem to have it all in stock..

  35. #485
    Fahooglegods's Avatar
    Posts
    5,329
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Right near da beach. Boy-eee!

    Originally Posted by bushmaster06 View Post
    Reloading equipment is just as hard to come by as factory ammo these days.
    Dillon has everything in stock and my local reloading shop has Lee and RCBS presses on their shelves.

    Are you talking about equipment or materials such as brass and primers?

  36. #486
    .
    Last edited by soonerintn; July 19th, 2013 at 09:50 PM.

  37. #487
    lauderdaleOU's Avatar
    Posts
    4,203
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    M Streets

    So I went out shooting with some friends a few days ago. One of them had a Ruger Mini 14 Ranch Rifle. I really liked it and now I want one... From the research I have done, the price gouging sucks right now. I don't want a tactical version; just the dressed down ranch version with the wood stock. What should I expect to pay for one?

  38. #488

    Re: Assault Rifle question?

    Originally Posted by lauderdaleOU View Post
    So I went out shooting with some friends a few days ago. One of them had a Ruger Mini 14 Ranch Rifle. I really liked it and now I want one... From the research I have done, the price gouging sucks right now. I don't want a tactical version; just the dressed down ranch version with the wood stock. What should I expect to pay for one?
    FIL wants one too really bad! If anyone find one that's under a G let me know

    Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

  39. #489

    Re: Assault Rifle question?

    Here we go... http://mobile.bloomberg.com/news/201...-violence.html

    Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

  40. #490
    Can an executive order allow him to do anything? What are the limitations of an EO?

  41. #491
    There debate between .308 and 30.06 is always a good one. My personal preference is .308 for several reasons. First of all, realize that they both fire the same diameter bullet, but the powder capacity is different, given that 30.06 is a longer shell. That being said though, you can get onto any number of ballistics websites and run some numbers showing the different velocities possible in all the different bullet weights, powder charges, etc. The .308 is really more efficient in powder use. Take for example a 150gr bullet in both a 308 and 30.06, the latter would have a starting load of about 3gr more powder but only get about 50fps more in velocity, which isn't really that much. What I really like is that the .308 doesn't have the recoil that the 30.06 does, so it's easier for women and teenagers to shoot, if that is something that might be a possibility for you. Since .308 is a NATO round, there is USUALLY a ton of MILSURP ammo available. Obviously right now just about everything is flying off the shelves. One advantage the 30.06 has in reloading, is that it will accomodate bullets up to about 220gr, where the .308 really tops out around 200, although Hornady makes a 208gr. One thing that I have done is to find a reloading powder that I can use for as many different calibers as possible. Hodgdon 4895 seems to be pretty good for .223, .308, and 300 WinMag up to 168gr. I have another powder for my 180gr elk loads.

  42. #492
    bushmaster06's Avatar
    Posts
    24,830
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    balls deep

    Originally Posted by Fahooglegods View Post
    Dillon has everything in stock and my local reloading shop has Lee and RCBS presses on their shelves.

    Are you talking about equipment or materials such as brass and primers?
    materials.

  43. #493
    bushmaster06's Avatar
    Posts
    24,830
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    balls deep

    Originally Posted by lauderdaleOU View Post
    So I went out shooting with some friends a few days ago. One of them had a Ruger Mini 14 Ranch Rifle. I really liked it and now I want one... From the research I have done, the price gouging sucks right now. I don't want a tactical version; just the dressed down ranch version with the wood stock. What should I expect to pay for one?
    pre-craziness they sold for about $600 new. now, who ****ing knows.
    The following users like this post: Fahooglegods


  44. #494
    Fahooglegods's Avatar
    Posts
    5,329
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Right near da beach. Boy-eee!

    Re: Assault Rifle question?

    Originally Posted by bushmaster06 View Post
    materials.
    True. But finding primers is much easier then finding loaded ammo.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

  45. #495
    bushmaster06's Avatar
    Posts
    24,830
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    balls deep

    Originally Posted by Fahooglegods View Post
    True. But finding primers is much easier then finding loaded ammo.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    primers and bullets are the 2 components that i've heard being scarce right now.

  46. #496
    Fahooglegods's Avatar
    Posts
    5,329
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Right near da beach. Boy-eee!

    Re: Assault Rifle question?

    Originally Posted by 10bird View Post
    Can an executive order allow him to do anything? What are the limitations of an EO?
    The eo is coming regardless of whether or not it is within his power. He intends on enacting it for a couple months while congress debates in hopes of putting gun shops out of business. It all depends on how broad the so is. Is it only "ar" type rifles. Or are handguns which come with 15rd mags part of it too. Gonna get real ugly real quick. Like it wasn't bad right now.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

  47. #497
    bushmaster06's Avatar
    Posts
    24,830
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    balls deep

    Originally Posted by Fahooglegods View Post
    The eo is coming regardless of whether or not it is within his power. He intends on enacting it for a couple months while congress debates in hopes of putting gun shops out of business. It all depends on how broad the so is. Is it only "ar" type rifles. Or are handguns which come with 15rd mags part of it too. Gonna get real ugly real quick. Like it wasn't bad right now.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    **** that.

  48. #498
    Fahooglegods's Avatar
    Posts
    5,329
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Right near da beach. Boy-eee!

    Re: Assault Rifle question?

    Originally Posted by bushmaster06 View Post
    primers and bullets are the 2 components that i've heard being scarce right now.
    I haven't had an issue getting bullets but primers are a **** for sure. I need to just go ahead and buy a cast and blocks of lead.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

  49. #499
    Fahooglegods's Avatar
    Posts
    5,329
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Right near da beach. Boy-eee!

    Re: Assault Rifle question?

    Originally Posted by bushmaster06 View Post
    **** that.
    I hear ya

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

  50. #500
    Got a nice little present in the mail today. 10 Tapco 30 round mags for my ar. Ordered them a while back on the of chance that I'd get them before the ban.

    Now if I get the ten pmags that I ordered from brownells, I'll be set up.
    The following users like this post: Sooner Bob


Similar Threads

  1. AD's son has passed away after assault.
    By smot poker in forum Owen Field
    Replies: 188
    Last Post: October 14th, 2013, 09:27 AM
  2. A&M: Two players charged with assault
    By usaosooner in forum Owen Field
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: July 3rd, 2013, 03:08 PM
  3. Ban Assault Cleavage!
    By Muscletang in forum O'Connell's
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: May 6th, 2013, 03:54 PM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: October 18th, 2012, 01:17 PM