What did you have for dinner last night?

Posted 1847 day(s) ago by jdmt37157803 Views 3522 Replies
Results 3,401 to 3,450 of 3523
Page 69 of 71 19 59 67 68 69 70 71

Originally Posted by McRib View Post
    Tell me what this is without using the word onions. I have some andouille to cook hopefully next week. Dr Pepper?
    Don't think Dr Pepper will help ya with andouille. It cooks up nice by itself. You can't be allergic to the word onions too....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Originally Posted by AcousticSoup View Post
    Don't think Dr Pepper will help ya with andouille. It cooks up nice by itself. You can't be allergic to the word onions too....

Yeah I love andouille. Just looking for a new way to cook it. I

Cooking red pozole for New Year's Eve.

Pork shoulder, chiles guajillo, pig's foot, hominy, garlic, salt. Simmer 5 hours.

Condiments: shredded cabbage, radishes, limes, minced onion, oregano, tortillas.
    3 users like nocalsooner's post: DIB, MikeLucky, PokeJ

Last edited by nocalsooner; December 31st, 2016 at 11:37 AM.

Had crab cakes, corn salad, and a wonderful Australian Chardonnay.

The corn salad was oh, so, simple. Can of whole kernel corn, medium diced and seeded tomato, chopped up green onion, and 1/3 cup of mayo. Maybe just a touch of something ****y, cajun seasoning, etc. Chill before serving.

The french onion soup reminds me of a TDY trip to Paris. The guy I was travelling with was so excited that he was going to get some real, authentic, french onion soup. We were there five nights and each night he would ask for french onion soup but none of the restaurants were serving it that night. Come back tomorrow, Only on Saturdays. Finally, the last night, the restaurant did have french onion soup. The Colonel thought it the best he'd ever had and asked if he could have the recipe. The waiter told him he could fix it a home and brought out a can of Cambell's French Onion Soup.
    5 users like RocketCitySooner's post: Clark W. Griswold, DirtyBob, ouwasp, SoonerAtty, Stinger_1066

Originally Posted by nocalsooner View Post
    Cooking red pozole for New Year's Eve.

Pork shoulder, chiles guajillo, pig's foot, hominy, garlic, salt. Simmer 5 hours.

Condiments: shredded cabbage, radishes, limes, minced onion, oregano, tortillas.
    That sounds great. Post the entire recipe and don't forget pictures. I love pozole.

Do people really cook pigs feet? I mean like non grandma people. I would probably cry if there was a pigs foot in my kitchen. Are they attached to anything? Like pig legs? That would be troublesome.

Do people really cook pigs feet? I mean like non grandma people. I would probably cry if there was a pigs foot in my kitchen. Are they attached to anything? Like pig legs? That would be troublesome.

Yummy!!

I have no reply.
    The following users like this post: ThievingMagpie

His Royal Highness the Honorable King of LandThieves Esq. III

Took the family out and my best friends widowed mom out to Benihana for gluttony. We had sushi, hibachi supreme, filet's, lobster, shrimp....so good but over $350....

semi boneless. heh

Originally Posted by SoCaliSooner View Post
    Took the family out and my best friends widowed mom out to Benihana for gluttony. We had sushi, hibachi supreme, filet's, lobster, shrimp....so good but over $350....
    Great way to kill a couple of hours

Took the wife to Ken's Steakhouse in Amber. Nice little road trip and not too crowded. Brought home some ribs to have with our black eyed peas today.
    2 users like swpillman's post: oucub23, ThievingMagpie

Originally Posted by PokeJ View Post
    That sounds great. Post the entire recipe and don't forget pictures. I love pozole.
    RE: The pigs feet. It's actually a substitute for the pig's head. If you want a pure, unadulterated pozole recipe it's got the pig's head and fresh Mexican (nixtamal) corn (different from sweeter U.S. corn). But canned hominy is the common substitute.

The head and feet give the broth a richness you just don't get with pork meat alone. It's like the difference between cheap wine and expensive wine.

So, anyway, if I go to the southside of town, I can buy a head or half-a-head, but I wimp out and just get the feet at a nearby market. They saw it in pieces for you. But when it cooks five hours, it falls apart and much of it disintegrates, with some super tender, flavorful fatty pieces remaining (not unlike the flavorful fatty parts of prime rib).
    There are knuckle-size bones that I show you in the pic below, on the left. The feet have no significant meat of their own.

So I don't duplicate Rick Bayless' recipe linked here, but I adapt it. And you can see a professional photo for what it should look like. http://www.texasmonthly.com/food/pozole-rojo/

My adapted recipe:
    The Meat: I cut up a 4 lb boneless pork shoulder in large chunks, cover completely in water in a large pot, add 1 TBL salt, one cut up pig's foot, and 5 cloves of garlic, minced. Bring to a boil and then turn to simmer for 2 hours. I usually add a pound of pork neck bones for more flavor, but I forgot this time. Don't use rib bones, which will get soft, disintegrate, and you don't want tiny, grainy pieces of bone in your broth.

The chiles:
    I used about 16 guajillo chiles (about 6 oz.) and a couple of ancho chiles. You can use any combination of dried, red guajillo, New Mexico, and ancho chiles. Ancho aren't as picante hot. It's difficult to give you a precise measurement here, because the size and ****yness of chiles vary so much in different regions and brands. I recommend you make more of the chile seasoning so you have some to add if you don't find your broth chile flavor and heat sufficient.

Soak the chiles in very hot water for 20 minutes. Put soaked chiles in a blender and blend into a smooth sauce. Using a large strainer, strain it directly into the meaty broth which has been cooking for 2.5 hours by now. If you don't strain, you're going to have lots of seeds and chile skin in your broth. You don't want that. I put the sauce into the strainer and press it through with a spoon. Or if the strainer and pot are the right size, you can lower the strainer down into the liquid like lowering the minnows into a minnow bucket of water, to make it easy.

Hominy:
    I used 32 oz of canned white hominy. Drain and rinse the hominy, and add to the broth. Let it simmer a couple of more hours. The last hour I take the lid off and the fat at the top can be skimmed off and let it reduce a bit.

You'll probably need to add lots more salt. Do so to taste.

Garnish with sliced radishes, cabbage, oregano, onion to your liking. And a squeeze of lime counters the ****yness.

3 users like nocalsooner's post: AcousticSoup, MikeLucky, PokeJ

Last edited by nocalsooner; January 1st, 2017 at 05:40 PM.

RE: The pigs feet. It's actually a substitute for the pig's head. If you want a pure, unadulterated pozole recipe it's got the pig's head and fresh Mexican (nixtamal) corn (different from sweeter U.S. corn). But canned hominy is the common substitute.

The head and feet give the broth a richness you just don't get with pork meat alone. It's like the difference between cheap wine and expensive wine.

So, anyway, if I go to the southside of town, if can buy a head or half-a-head, but I wimp out and just get the feet at a nearby market. They saw it in pieces for you. But when it cooks five hours, it falls apart and much of it disintegrates, with some super tender, flavorful fatty pieces remaining (not unlike the flavorful fatty parts of prime rib).
    There are knuckle-size bones that I show you in the pic below, on the left. The feet have no significant meat of their own.

So I don't duplicate Rick Bayless' recipe linked here, but I adapt it. And you can see a professional photo for what it should look like. http://www.texasmonthly.com/food/pozole-rojo/

My adapted recipe:
    The Meat: I cut up a 4 lb boneless pork shoulder in large chunks, cover completely in water in a large pot, add 1 TBL salt, one cut up pig's foot, a 5 cloves of garlic, minced. Bring to a boil and then turn to simmer for 2 hours. I usually add a pound of pork neck bones for more flavor, but I forgot this time. Don't use rib bones, which will get soft, disintegrate, and you don't want tiny, grainy pieces of bone in your broth.

The chiles:
    I used about 16 guajillo chiles (about 6 oz.) and a couple of ancho chiles. You can use any combination of dried, red guajillo, New Mexico, and ancho chiles. Ancho aren't as picante hot. It's difficult to give you a precise measurement here, because the size and ****yness of chiles vary so much in different regions and brands. I recommend you make more of the chile seasoning so you have some to add if you don't find your broth chile flavor and heat sufficient.

Soak the chiles in very hot water for 20 minutes. Put soaked chiles in a blender and blend into a smooth sauce. Using a large strainer, strain it directly into the meaty broth which has been cooking for 2.5 hours by now. If you don't strain, you're going to have lots of seeds and chile skin in your broth. You don't want that. I put the sauce into the strainer and press it through with a spoon. Or if the strainer and pot are the right size, you can lower the strainer down into the liquid like lowering the minnows into a minnow bucket of water, to make it easy.

Hominy:
    I used 32 oz of canned white hominy. Drain and rinse the hominy, and add to the broth. Let it simmer a couple of more hours. The last hour I take the lid off and the fat at the top can be skimmed off and let it reduce a bit.

Garnish with sliced radishes, cabbage, oregano, onion to your liking. And a squeeze of lime counters the ****yness.

That looks unbelievable!

Don't live in Wichita, but I am a Sooner.

So, anyway, if I go to the southside of town, I can buy a head or half-a-head, but I wimp out and just get the feet at a nearby market. They saw it in pieces for you. But when it cooks five hours, it falls apart and much of it disintegrates, with some super tender, flavorful fatty pieces remaining (not unlike the flavorful fatty parts of prime rib).

My adapted recipe:
    The Meat: I cut up a 4 lb boneless pork shoulder in large chunks, cover completely in water in a large pot, add 1 TBL salt, one cut up pig's foot, and 5 cloves of garlic, minced. Bring to a boil and then turn to simmer for 2 hours. I usually add a pound of pork neck bones for more flavor, but I forgot this time. Don't use rib bones, which will get soft, disintegrate, and you don't want tiny, grainy pieces of bone in your broth.

The chiles:

Hominy:

Well done.

Having a mother that grew up in Santa Fe, I've eaten homemade posole my whole life. My mother hadn't made it in a few years until she made it for Christmas Eve dinner for the whole family this year. She also made homemade sopapillas. It was awesome. I did have to go to the right Southside OKC Buy For Less to get the stuff to make it all, but it was so very worth it.

Internet high five nocal.

Nice work

The following users like this post: nocalsooner

Nocal, spot on man. That's awesome.
    Forgot to take pictures but I made Philly cheesesteaks for dinner and baked chocolate and peanut butter chip cookies. Still trying to figure out this dessert thing
    The following users like this post: nocalsooner

Celebratory cheat meal at Cane Rosso in Deep Ellum!

Light fried brussel sprouts with balsamic reduction, crispy pancetta and grotta cheese.

Honey **** pizza with mozzarella, bacon marmalade, hot sopprassata, and habenero honey.

The LadyBird dessert pizza. Vanilla bean marscapone, cookie butter, Nutella, crushed Speculoos cookies and powdered sugar.

I'm gonna go hibernate now... sweet mother of Moses....

5 users like AcousticSoup's post: barlowd, Clark W. Griswold, nocalsooner, PokeJ, ThievingMagpie

I couldn't find a thread about chicken and don't want to start one.. anyways.. has anyone ever brined chicken before baking it? I never have and don't know if it will screw the chicken up.

Not at all. Makes it super tasty and flavorful. Done it before roasting, grilling. Works great with turkey too.

The following users like this post: SoonerAtty

Brined chicken with jerk rub we got in Jamaica
    3 users like veyron_80's post: AcousticSoup, Stinger_1066, WestCoastSooner

Honey baked ham
    Sweet potato casserole (wife's grandmothers recipe from Minnesota - ''tis amazing)
    Roasted Brussel sprouts and bacon

Smokestack rye on rye, 2013 Rodney Strong Pinot, Hudson Baby Bourbon.

Celebratory cheat meal at Cane Rosso in Deep Ellum!

Light fried brussel sprouts with balsamic reduction, crispy pancetta and grotta cheese.

Honey **** pizza with mozzarella, bacon marmalade, hot sopprassata, and habenero honey.

The LadyBird dessert pizza. Vanilla bean marscapone, cookie butter, Nutella, crushed Speculoos cookies and powdered sugar.

I'm gonna go hibernate now... sweet mother of Moses....

If you are that by yourself you might not wake up for a month. Looks great though

Originally Posted by ThievingMagpie View Post

Yummy!!
    No such thing as semi-boneless

If you are that by yourself you might not wake up for a month. Looks great though

No you definitely need help. That place is fantastic. Highly recommend it. The bill was less than $50 too. Hard to beat it.

Originally Posted by barlowd View Post
    No such thing as semi-boneless
    Cartilage says hi.

Steak and mushrooms, salmon, rice, asparagus, scalloped potatoes, caesar salad, rolls, tea, coffee, beer, cakes

The buffalo chicken ranch sandwich is back at Whataburger.

Cartilage says hi.

But that's connective tissue, not bone

Made some Chicken Marsala over angel hair and some green beans sautéed with pancetta for the Golden Globes.

4 users like SoonerAtty's post: AcousticSoup, nocalsooner, SoonerBull, Stinger_1066

Oatmeal.

Oatmeal.
    Still recovering from the surgery?

Originally Posted by SoonerAtty View Post
    Still recovering from the surgery?
    Yeah... had my sutures out on Thursday & doc said it wasn't healing as fast as he wanted. He said it wasnt a dry socket, but they packed it like it was in order to speed healing, and ordered another week of soft food. (I'm guessing part of the problem was the issue I was having with the pain pills, but idk.) I can already tell it's feeling better so hopefully I get time to run by this week instead of waiting on my next week appt. Meanwhile, oatmeal & food for the elderlies.

Yeah... had my sutures out on Thursday & doc said it wasn't healing as fast as he wanted. He said it wasnt a dry socket, but they packed it like it was in order to speed healing, and ordered another week of soft food. (I'm guessing part of the problem was the issue I was having with the pain pills, but idk.) I can already tell it's feeling better so hopefully I get time to run by this week instead of waiting on my next week appt. Meanwhile, oatmeal & food for the elderlies.
    You need to treat yourself to something good when you heal up. Your belly deserves it.

Originally Posted by cfin5256 View Post
    You need to treat yourself to something good when you heal up. Your belly deserves it.
    I'm not sure I have ever said this before, but I've really had a craving for chicken fried steak lately. It might be something I try to eat when I'm all healed up.

I'm not sure I have ever said this before, but I've really had a craving for chicken fried steak lately. It might be something I try to eat when I'm all healed up.
    You're speaking my language. I'd like mine with some mashed potatoes and gravy and fried okra please.
    The following users like this post: SoonerBull

Is there a Kendall's trip in your future?

Possibly Kendall's, possibly that place in Bethany? I've no idea where the best chicken fried steak in okc is, but I'm also willing to travel some.

Charleston's

I have no idea what Chp made, but it's good. Way too much food for me lol.

3 users like wendyaveli's post: FutureDC2853, nocalsooner, Stinger_1066

Originally Posted by SoonerAtty View Post
    Made some Chicken Marsala over angel hair and some green beans sautéed with pancetta for the Golden Globes.

That looks awesome! Link to recipe please?

Originally Posted by wendyaveli View Post

I have no idea what Chp made, but it's good. Way too much food for me lol.
    The man has talent. The asparagus is wrapped in bacon? Kind of hard to tell.
    The following users like this post: FutureDC2853

Originally Posted by Stinger_1066 View Post
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/t...la-recipe.html

I triple the sauce. Even after it reduces it is like water, so I add a little corn starch and water to thicken it.
    2 users like SoonerAtty's post: SoonerBull, Stinger_1066

I combined LT threads while I was in OKC yesterday

Lunch Tacos Don Nacho

Dinner Korean House

I combined LT threads while I was in OKC yesterday

Lunch Tacos Don Nacho

Dinner Korean House
    That explains that horrific smell that was coming from the south yesterday.

Feed a cold with pho

The following users like this post: ThievingMagpie

Feed a cold with pho

Looks great. Metroplex restaurant?

Originally Posted by ThievingMagpie View Post
    Looks great. Metroplex restaurant?
    Nope from my town two hours north.

My son made short ribs ragu with pappardelle, spinach & romaine salad, roasted garlic bread drizzled w/ olive oil.

it was outfuckingstanding.
    2 users like nocalsooner's post: Clark W. Griswold, PokeJ

Originally Posted by Stinger_1066 View Post

The man has talent. The asparagus is wrapped in bacon? Kind of hard to tell.

Bacon and puff pastry

Pecan Lodge in Dallas. The burnt ends were freaking ridiculous...

3 users like AcousticSoup's post: Clark W. Griswold, SportyJames, ThievingMagpie

Last edited by AcousticSoup; January 28th, 2017 at 07:41 AM.