kruger's second year.....

Posted 771 day(s) ago by 87sooner9121 Views 126 Replies
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    Originally Posted by NickDangerThirdEye View Post
    yes i did.....
    NONE were projects...

vCash

I think he needs to change his name to Lon Kruger Mellencamp.
    The following users like this post: NickDangerThirdEye

vCash

The starters we had last year definitely weren't the problem. We were in a lot of games in the first half. Look at both Kansas games...up 1 at halftime in Norman and down 3 at halftime in Lawrence. Other games...Up 3 at halftime AT Baylor. Down 5 at home against Baylor. Up 5 at home against Texas. Up 4 AT Texas. Tied at halftime AT A&M. All of those games were winnable, but we lost by double digits in all but 2 of those games. The problem was our lack of depth on the bench. We were outscored in the 2nd half of most games because our starters had to play too many minutes. With Hornbeak, Mbaye, Hield, and Cousins our depth improves greatly. NCAA tourney this year...

SoonerBounce Guest
    vCash
    Can we go ahead and get suncoast's official prediction?

Originally Posted by SoonerBounce View Post
    see post #15

SoonerBounce Guest
    vCash
    Just figured I'd given the chance to change his mind now that it's later in the year

ah....
    don't expect suncoast to change his prediction....even after selection sunday when we're dancing..

Originally Posted by PledgerFan View Post
    Nick Thompson started 6 games. Maybe there isn't any difference between a project and just not bring worth a flip. Carl Blair couldn't handle the ball better than a bunch of high school players.

when i think of a "project"...i think of someone like longar longar.....
    someone you take because you have better players.....and the "project" isn't expected to play for a couple years....

nick thompson was literally one of the best players capel could beg/plead to come to ou....
    his recruiting was getting THAT bad.....
    same with carl blair...

amath otoh....is the first step in kruger's process of rebuilding...an upgrade in talent......that has a chance to actually surprise and be even better than expected...

vCash

Huh? Nick Thompson wasn't even on the team this past season. Blair had his moments, but I agree he wasn't all that great.

I'm thinking we'll have an undefeated season then win the big dance.

vCash

Originally Posted by Mekko View Post
    Couldn't agree more.

tip-off is 2 months from tomorrow...
    get your predictions in now...
    some of you may want to revise the ones you've already made...

vCash

Originally Posted by 87sooner View Post
    Are you guys smoking the crack pipe again?

Let me preface my prediction by saying I truly believe our team will be improved as a team and play better basketball this year. However, I'm not convinced it is going to show up in our record as much as everyone would like and most of you seem to expect.

Looking at our schedule I honestly see us going 16-14 right now. Maybe I will want to revise that when the season is closer but looking at our schedule that's just the first impression I get.

Key match ups:

@ Arkansas - That's a tough place to play but they are also going to be pretty young.

Ohio - Say what you want about them being a mid-major but they are a mid-major who went dancing last year and took UNC to overtime. They literally have EVERYTHING returning for them this season from that team as well. They didn't lose a single player who played meaningful minutes last season. This is going to be a tough game but feel free to disregard my warning like I assume the crimson shade clan will likely do. All I will say thank God it is at home because I doubt we would beat them in Ohio and less than likely on a neutral court as well.

West Virginia (series) - I really feel they only made the tournament last year because they played in the Big East. They have that record or perform like that in any other conference that ESPiN doesn't suck off they are probably shooting hoops at home in the NIT; they got ran off the court by Gonzaga. Having said that . . . GOT DAMN they were young last year; I don't think I have ever seen as many freshman on one team that made the Big Dance out of a major conference before.

I know there are other very important games to win: Oklahoma State, Iowa State, etc. but those were the three/four that really jumped out at me based on our expectations and last year's performance.

SoonerBounce Guest
    vCash
    17 wins

as i said in my op...we're going dancing...
    i think we'll win at least 20 regular season games..

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/09/...ahoma-revival/

“He’s a first round pick,” a Division One coach that’s familiar with M’Baye’s game said. “There’s no doubt.”
    adding a first round draft pick should mean AT LEAST one win in the tournament

vCash

Season is here in less than a month. Still think the NIT is the most likely ceiling for this team. Any new thoughts?
    The following users like this post: LetsgoSooners82

SoonerBounce Guest
    vCash
    Originally Posted by usaosooner View Post
    I think the ceiling is second round of the dance.

Likely outcome is NIT.

vCash

Tourney for sure.

vCash

We will make post season for sure. First round of NCAA is my guess and be the 4 spot in the big 12.

vCash

Bubble for the NIT team.

SoonerBounce Guest
    vCash
    Originally Posted by suncoastsooner View Post
    quoting to preserve prediction

ncaa tournament.......advance to second round..
    ceiling is 2 wins in the tournament...

vCash

‏@SoonerHoops
    Hoops fact: The #Sooners have Big 12's leading returning scorer (Pledger; 16.2) and rebounder (Osby; 7.3). And Grooms 2nd in assists (6.0).

hmmmm

vCash

we will win 20 games and go dancing

much improved...dancing come march

I think we'll just miss the NCAA tournament and play in the NIT.

vCash

OU Hoops 2012-2013 Basketball Season

Am I the only one who thinks OU will be an NCAA tournament team? Sam Grooms takes care of the ball, Pledger can score, Cam Clark needs to be more consistent but is very athletic, Romero Osby can be very very good, and Amath M'baye is a super star. That leaves Fitz coming off the bench along with some energetic freshmen guards. Then of course the veterans Tyler Neal and the JUCO Bennet kid. Call me crazy, but I think they will win 20 games.

vCash

Im not gonna put the cart before the horse on M'baye but he looks solid in the practices. We definitely have more depth and I think that killed us last year cause many a game we were either leading or being very competitive til half then couldn't finish out. Ive heard talk of taking 5 teams to the NCAA out of Big 12 and I like our chances.

vCash

Romero osby

Osby is an NBA type of talent isn't he? He may be an inch short. He's better than Taylor griffin and griffin is still in the D League. Isiah cousin will be the back up PG. hield and hornbeak look promising.

vCash

Originally Posted by soonerjunky View Post
    Merged

Originally Posted by soonerjunky View Post
    i don't think osby is an nba talent....
    doesn't have the skills or the physical attributes...

nit is likely

vCash

One thing I noticed in the scrimmage last week was that the three freshmen guards will definitely get some serious playing time. DJ Bennett also looked like a stiff. This team will go as far as Osby takes them. Pledger, Fitz, Clark, and Grooms remain unchanged. Grooms may lose his job if he keeps jacking up 3's. No outside shot, but we knew that already. So the question is how much lift Hield, Hornbeak, Cousins, and MBaye will give to the team. Is it enough of a lift to make them Dance worthy????
    The following users like this post: suncoastsooner

Originally Posted by RenegadeSooner View Post
    at this point....the freshmen are still trying to find their roles....
    i think the cousins experiment at pg is over....looks like hornbeak will settle in there as the starter ....
    grooms may not be a shooter but i'm damn glad we have him available to come in and save our butts when hornbeak is struggling.......
    clark may be the biggest surprise if he can keep it going....his experiment at guard is over....
    what do you call a 3 with no outside shot? a 4.....
    mbaye is struggling to find his role as well.....i'm confident kruger will help him find it
    i think kruger is letting fitz do what he wants in these early games to show him he's not all that he thinks he is....
    he's proving to himself he has no shot and when conference season comes around....kruger will keep him down in the paint where he belongs...
    buddy is my favorite of the bunch....he does everything....and plays harder than everyone...
    when he gets himself under control and limits turnovers.....he will be our best player....

lots of basketball to be played.....we haven't even begun to scratch the surface of our potential imo..
    i don't think we'll squeak our way into the dance.....i think by march....there will be no doubt we're a tournament team...

Originally Posted by PledgerFan View Post

Heh, he doesn't show on the roster. I thought he was on the roster and played early last season, then disappeared?

i think this season is going slightly better than i expected/predicted.......
    kruger has done a great job bringing along the new additions and blending them with the rest of the team...
    he is methodically developing a very deep team that i think will be ready to make some noise when march rolls around...
    we are being mentioned as a solid tourney team with seeding from 8 to 10 by most prognosticators....
    i think our ceiling is still much higher....and barring injury....i think we can improve our seed by another notch or two....

SoonerBounce Guest
    vCash
    our tourney chances are increasing but i'm still holding off on my optimism. I still think we will hit a rough stretch where the freshman start to play like freshman again.
    The following users like this post: nstinson

Originally Posted by SoonerBounce View Post
    It just might happen in the upcoming 5 game stretch

2 games against KU, 1 against KSU, @BU @ISU.

1-4 wouldn't be too bad. 2-3 would be great.
    The following users like this post: nstinson

Originally Posted by T-town Sooner View Post
    i'm glad we have lon....
    it's going to take a great coach to get us thru this stretch.....just to maintain confidence

vCash

Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    Co-sign!

I agree.
    If we can get a win @ KSU, that would be huge. I predict two losses in the KU games, and the Baylor game I'd give the edge to BU right now. I don't know much about ISU, but that's a game OU needs to win if they are in fact a tourney team. We need to push ISU out of the top 5 of the big XII, stay in the range of #3 or #4 with Baylor to keep us in. We go 1-4 in this stretch and I think we are on the outside looking in. 2-3, we're ok, but bubbling, 3-2 we are sitting pretty. That would put us in 3rd, or even 2nd in big XII.
    I predict we go 2-3 through here, and I feel like that's a bit optimistic, but Kruger has us playing really well on defense, so I think we stay competitive down the stretch against BU and ISU and hopefully KSU, and hopefully we get two of those 3. If we get a 3rd win in there, that would be ****ing fantastic.

SoonerBounce Guest
    vCash
    i think we may go 2-5 over our next 7

vCash

I think we beat KSU on Saturday. We stunk last year, and we swept them. Both teams have roughly the same main contributors, but we have some new guys who are playing well right now. KSU reminds me a lot of OSU- a three-point gunner, an athletic/productive swingman, and some shot-blockers. We handled them by 14, so take 7 for home court advantage, that should mean a 7 point win on Saturday. We should smoke UTerus, they are bad! Next Saturday in Lawrence will be for the Big XII lead, if things go this way. I don't think we win up there, but I think it will be a good game. Remember, for over a half last year, we either led or it was within a couple of points in both games, and we are better this year, and they are about the same. I think we split between ISU and Baylor. If we come out of this stretch 3-2, 6-2 in the Big XII, and 15-5 overall, after weathering the toughest stretch of the season, we will put ourselves in a great situation the second half of the season to at least finish in the top 3.

Originally Posted by majsooner View Post
    i agree....i think if we can somehow beat kstate tomorrow.....we will finish in the top 2 or 3 in the conference.....
    i think the conference winner may have 3 or 4 losses this year....

was wondering if anyone still thinks mbaye is a "project"?

vCash

Seems to be Inconsistent, but he is not a project. I just wish he would take a little better care of the ball!

Originally Posted by OUfootball View Post
    yeah...he's got plenty to work on to improve......
    i think he has a chance to be very very good by the time he graduates...