Milk

Posted 970 day(s) ago 4163 Views 58 Replies
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Milk

So, I've been a slim milk drinker for years... 1% is about the heaviest I can do. Not that I drink alot of milk, but I keep hearing lil things about the lack of calcium in skim... And Im definitely at the point where calcium is prolly important. Whats best? Is soy milk good? Does it have calcium? Halp.

Also, this is prolly the lamest thread I've ever started. :-/

I know Silk almond milk advertises it has more calcium than milk.

For what it's worth, my wife says she doesn't care for the taste soy milk except for the soy chocolate milk.

I've heard the vanilla soy milk is good in cereal.

Vanilla almond milk in cereal is good.
    The munchkin likes the chocolate almond milk.

There's almond milk AND soy? Have you had goat milk? That sounds kinda eh.

Other sources of calcium:

How do you get enough from foods?

An abundant source of this mineral in the American diet is dairy products - two glasses of milk per day provide 1,000-1,200 mg. If you choose to get your calcium via dairy products - and this is not essential, as there are many other sources - make sure you use only hormone-free, organic dairy products to reduce your exposure to the antibiotics and hormones found in many dairy products. Non-dairy foods rich in calcium include: greens such as collards, mustard, kale, and bok choy; canned salmon (with bones) and sardines; tofu that has been coagulated with a calcium compound; calcium-fortified soy milk, fruit juice and cereals; blackstrap molasses; and broccoli.

Originally Posted by RMoGib View Post
    Yes and Silk makes both.
    I've had goat cheese but not milk. Goat cheese is tasty.

Silk dark chocolate almond milk I drink a glass as a snack or silk light soy milk if you can handle it ...not for everyone both have the calcium you need
    I dont drink cow milk because my tummy no does like it .. I buy Borden protein plus and horizon organic 2% for the tiny dictator

I have never been a milk drinker. I do love Greek yogurt, cheese and eat lots of broccoli. Just for calcium insurance I eat Viactive (sp?) tastes like chewy chocolate candy and only 20 calories each.

I drink skim milk like it is going out of style.

How about calcium supplements?

I loves me some yogurt & string cheese. Imma try Ad's dark choc milk & I guess start looking at supplements. My sister is 5 years older than me & is already bugging me about things like osteoporosis & mammograms. Bleh. How did we get so old?

My wife and I drink around a gallon a week and switch between skim and 1%. It used to be strictly skim, but I've read things about fattier milk being better for you and "skim" which is an ingredient may not be good for you. Whenever possible, I get 1%.

Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
    I know Silk almond milk advertises it has more calcium than milk.
    My wife loves their vanilla almond milk.

I've never been much of a milk drinker, but you can still get your calcium from things such as yogurt, almonds, orange juice or veggies like kale and broccoli.

We are the ONLY mammals that drink milk after 12 months of age.. If I drink it, I drink Horizon Organic milk.... plus the expiration dates is like a two months out. Last forever..
    4 users like SoonerSteve1's post: Aurora, HorpelKrufkin, SleestakkSooner, snr2013

For me the Silk Almond and Soy can be a little much. I don't know why that is because i really like both of them, but I do drink both. I've got into the habbit of mixing one or the other with my organic milk, about half and half.......get the best of both I suppose.

Originally Posted by SoonerSteve1 View Post
    We are the ONLY mammals that drink milk after 12 months of age.. If I drink it, I drink Horizon Organic milk.... plus the expiration dates is like a two months out. Last forever..

That is why I minimize dairy consumption. It just aint natural. I'll eat cheese occasionally, but I abhor the idea of drinking milk.
    The following users like this post: The Baconator®

My stepson has a **** goat that he milks and sells the milk.

Don't forget to add vitamin D as its essential for calcium absorption.

2 users like Cthulhu's post: Jason, SoonerSteve1

Originally Posted by Stinger_1066 View Post
    I drink skim milk like it is going out of style.

How about calcium supplements?
    My Dr. said that recent studies show we need to get our calcium through diet. Something about it not being as good for us when taken in pill form.

Read the article posted by 2013...!!!

Originally Posted by namor71 View Post
    Read the article posted by 2013...!!!

Also take a look at this piece, discussing the possibility of high dairy consumption increasing the risk of prostate, testicular, and ovarian cancers.
    The following users like this post: The Baconator®

I drink quite a bit of milk with protein powder--I can't stand milk plain.

I love milk. When i was really lifting hard i would drink 3-4 gallons a week, now since i can't lift like that now i drink maybe 1 & 1/2? Sucks getting old!!!

you might try coconut milk. I've seen it in the chilled section at stores in 1/2 gallon size. it's a pretty neutral flavor and has plenty of calcium.

plenty of studies show that health benefits from dairy milk are nil after pasteurization and homogenization. the same might be said of all other processed "milks" too. however, they probably don't have the negatives that dairy has.

So, I've been a slim milk drinker for years... 1% is about the heaviest I can do. Not that I drink alot of milk, but I keep hearing lil things about the lack of calcium in skim... And Im definitely at the point where calcium is prolly important. Whats best? Is soy milk good? Does it have calcium? Halp.

Also, this is prolly the lamest thread I've ever started. :-/
    Soy milk doesn't taste very good on its own unless you're willing to invest the time to get used to it. I do still miss milk...

As stated above, a lot of people prefer vanilla soy milk in their cereal. When I stopped drinking milk I tried it, but found it waaaay too sweet, so I have the plain kind in mine. After I got used to soy instead of regular milk, it tastes fine now.

However I still can't drink it on its own; I probably could if I wanted to invest the time to get used to the taste on its own.

My mom does drink it on its own, but she mixes hers with a little bit of the soy chocolate milk and loves it.

I try to have foods with higher calcium in them to help make up for the dairy I don't have anymore.

Originally Posted by cosmoxl View Post
    you might try coconut milk. I've seen it in the chilled section at stores in 1/2 gallon size. it's a pretty neutral flavor and has plenty of calcium.

plenty of studies show that health benefits from dairy milk are nil after pasteurization and homogenization. the same might be said of all other processed "milks" too. however, they probably don't have the negatives that dairy has.
    I'm pretty sure coconut milk still has milk in it.

Originally Posted by bushmaster06 View Post
    no.

http://www.silkpurecoconut.com/

you can see ingredients there

Got it. I got it mixed up with coconut cream.

Breast is best

Sorry, I'm not lactating.

Originally Posted by Jenn and tonic View Post
    Soy milk doesn't taste very good on its own unless you're willing to invest the time to get used to it. I do still miss milk...

As stated above, a lot of people prefer vanilla soy milk in their cereal. When I stopped drinking milk I tried it, but found it waaaay too sweet, so I have the plain kind in mine. After I got used to soy instead of regular milk, it tastes fine now.

However I still can't drink it on its own; I probably could if I wanted to invest the time to get used to the taste on its own.

My mom does drink it on its own, but she mixes hers with a little bit of the soy chocolate milk and loves it.

I try to have foods with higher calcium in them to help make up for the dairy I don't have anymore.
    Silk Soy milk, both the Vanilla and the plain type have more calcium than traditional milk. Not sure which variety they are comparing to.
    Very Vanilla and Vanilla versions of Silk can be overly sweet, I admit that. But in Cereal one can mix the plain with the Vanilla and get a balance they can tolerate.
    Silk will last a LONG time in the fridge, but you absolutely cannot let it get warm because it will solidify.

If you're concerned about getting your calcium from Traditional Cow's milk you should look into the studies. There are many that will tell you that it's counter-active for promotion of Bone density from milk calcium. I'm not going to claim that it's absolute fact, you'll have to research and decide that for yourself.
    There is a ton of Calcium in Vegetables and other foods (http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articl...n-calcium.html)
    Also check out BlackStrap Mollasses. It is high in Calcium and has a ton of other beneficial minerals.
    The following users like this post: Jenn and tonic

yeah, it has COCONUT milk in it.

I can drink both coconut and almond milk...soy is a cereal only one for me.

Originally Posted by HorpelKrufkin View Post
    yeah, it has COCONUT milk in it.
    So there's a coconut titty?

Coconuts are mammals. Can't believe you didn't know this.
    The following users like this post: McRib

i put milk on my cereal....braums milk...
    i don't drink much otherwise...
    but i do like my cheese and ice cream and sour cream etc

2. any whitish milklike substance, e.g., coconut milk or plant latex.

If you want it to have a titty, then go ahead and give it one.

Originally Posted by Shooterms View Post
    Coconuts are mammals. Can't believe you didn't know this.
    But there is no soy titty. That I know for sure. **** soy juice...

Originally Posted by 87sooner View Post
    i put milk on my cereal....braums milk...
    i don't drink much otherwise...
    but i do like my cheese and ice cream and sour cream etc
    Last edited by OrangeBlossom; February 14th, 2013 at 09:53 AM.

So I recently made the switch to cow-free milk. Since I was a kid I've poorly tolerated cow's milk so I've just avoided it for 20 years.

I debated between rice, flax, and almond. I usually only use milk in cereal so taste wasn't as much of an issue.

Rice milk: the best of the best for flavor. No protein, really high in carbs.

Almond milk: low protein, lots of flavors and available in normal grocery stores. No protein, 2g of carbs/cup.

And the winner was flax. Now I don't think most people would want to sit down and drink a glass of flax milk, it definitely tastes like flax (I haven't tried the vanilla or sweetened versions yet, vanilla is 60 cals/cup, sweetened is 50 cals/cup). But the unsweetened version has 1g of carbs and 1,200 mg of omega-3s per cup and only 25 calories. Since I'm allergic to fish I don't get any omega-3s. Also has lots of calcium. Downside is it'll probably be pretty hard to find, will likely need to go to an organic market or co-op.

Question: Has anyone tried hemp milk? I'm thinking of ordering some from amazon (apparently it's OK non-refrigerated) but I can't find any locally

Originally Posted by McRib View Post

Also, this is prolly the lamest thread I've ever started
    . :-/
    And that's saying something because you've started lots of lame threads!

Goat's Milk?

Milk

Originally Posted by Tug Medick View Post
    And that's saying something because you've started lots of lame threads!
    Indeed, I have.

Originally Posted by Sooner Bob View Post
    Goat's Milk?
    I used to work with a family who raised goats, & about once a month they has me try queso or cream cheese or cheese or some other yummy made with goats milk. Pretty tasty, tho I've never had the actual milk.

Prolly need to be restrained.

Originally Posted by SoonerSteve1 View Post
    We are the ONLY mammals that drink milk after 12 months of age..
    Really, I have dogs and cats that won't let milk last 5 seconds if I give them some.

My pit loves it especially. She tells me she drinks it to keep her teath healthy for biting.

Milk

My dog loves milk too, but I read somewhere that cow's milk is really not that good for dogs & cats because their little bodies aren't capable of really processing all of the fat, etc in it... Their bodies are made for processing the milk of their own species, but they drink cows milk bc it tastes similar.