Possible Playstation 4 specs

Posted 940 day(s) ago 2250 Views 43 Replies
Results 1 to 44 of 44
  1. #1

    Possible Playstation 4 specs

    http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/04/...source=twitter


    According to the official product specs, the A8-3850 packs a quad-core 2.9GHz processor with an integrated graphics chip. The APU will work in tandem with the system's dedicated GPU, the HD 7670, a DirectX 11-enabled card clocked to 1GHz with up to 1GB of dedicated VRAM.

  2. #2
    OUMallen's Avatar
    Posts
    7,898
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    City of Nompton

    Is that good?

  3. #3
    How many nanobites are in the gigacloud?

  4. #4
    Aurora's Avatar
    Posts
    31,694
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    The Dark Side

    Originally Posted by WISooner View Post
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/04/...source=twitter


    According to the official product specs, the A8-3850 packs a quad-core 2.9GHz processor with an integrated graphics chip. The APU will work in tandem with the system's dedicated GPU, the HD 7670, a DirectX 11-enabled card clocked to 1GHz with up to 1GB of dedicated VRAM.
    Does this mean I should wait I was planning on getting tiny dictator a PS3

  5. #5
    A little less confusing to me than someone talking about what kind of engine they have in their car by describing every part on it.

  6. #6
    I think I can translate:

    -Better internal computer for more processing speed.

    -Double the screen resolution (despite the fact that no TV can actually show it)

    -Software that will make used games unplayable unless you pay a reactivation fee.

    -Double the sticker price
    5 users like Van Hammersly's post: Bk2X, fdubzou, SirPrize, Sooners2007, suncoastsooner


  7. #7
    Bk2X's Avatar
    Posts
    2,433
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    South Norman

    Will be interesting to see how the Xbox competes cause Sony has Blu ray for much larger game data space. I'd imagine the developers will get frustrated if Xbox continues to limit them to less than 8gb of usable disk space.

  8. #8
    Right now Sony's only focus is pumping out its next gen console before Microsoft

  9. #9
    Sieve's Avatar
    Posts
    3,799
    Join Date
    Jul 2011

    You have kids now, you have no time for video games.. until they are old enough to play them.. then you have to play when they are asleep, so you don't look like you suck so bad!
    The following users like this post: suncoastsooner


  10. #10
    traxx's Avatar
    Posts
    9,651
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    In a DeLorean in 1985

    Word is that next generation consoles may be seriously locked down.

    http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-.../?tag=mncol;3n

  11. #11
    brousterman's Avatar
    Posts
    2,063
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma City

    Originally Posted by Sieve View Post
    You have kids now, you have no time for video games.. until they are old enough to play them.. then you have to play when they are asleep, so you don't look like you suck so bad!
    When I have kids I will destroy them so bad they will want to go outside and play.

    Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk
    The following users like this post: SoonerBeerSnob


  12. #12
    Originally Posted by brousterman View Post
    When I have kids I will destroy them so bad they will want to go outside and play.

    Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk
    Anything with more buttons than the NES and they will beat me down.

  13. #13
    I want to be able to rent games from my console is that too much to ask?
    The following users like this post: Sieve


  14. #14
    brousterman's Avatar
    Posts
    2,063
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma City

    Originally Posted by RockFlagandEagle View Post
    Anything with more buttons than the NES and they will beat me down.
    My dad thought it was cute when he beat my ass at techmo bowl. He would switch teams at half then still beat me.

    Them came ncaa 2000 and haven't looked back since. He stopped playing around 2001.

    Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

  15. #15
    Muscletang's Avatar
    Posts
    4,781
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    The Matrix

    Gamestop is going to be pissed if they talk about locking games to one user.

  16. #16
    It doesn't sound to be just talk. They plan on locking them down and allowing the consumer to pay Sony $10 to reactivate it. So gamestop and places of the like will have to drop the prices they have now for used by $10. It will hurt gamestop but they will just offer less for it than they used to and Sony will skip to the bank. I really hate that they are doing this. I don't sell my games usually but I almost always buy them secondhand.

  17. #17
    Originally Posted by whatitis View Post
    It doesn't sound to be just talk. They plan on locking them down and allowing the consumer to pay Sony $10 to reactivate it. So gamestop and places of the like will have to drop the prices they have now for used by $10. It will hurt gamestop but they will just offer less for it than they used to and Sony will skip to the bank. I really hate that they are doing this. I don't sell my games usually but I almost always buy them secondhand.
    Honestly it is the developers pushing for this. They love the idea. That blew my mind when I heard that. It will kill game stores. Why not just go to best buy or target to pick up a game if that happens?

  18. #18
    Sieve's Avatar
    Posts
    3,799
    Join Date
    Jul 2011

    Originally Posted by whatitis View Post
    It doesn't sound to be just talk. They plan on locking them down and allowing the consumer to pay Sony $10 to reactivate it. So gamestop and places of the like will have to drop the prices they have now for used by $10. It will hurt gamestop but they will just offer less for it than they used to and Sony will skip to the bank. I really hate that they are doing this. I don't sell my games usually but I almost always buy them secondhand.
    I didnt read the article. But this would SUCK! I took my kid a while back and he sold over 250 bucks back with games and useless equipment, and then he spent ALL of it and didnt walk out with a thing. He put all of it on future games. That's how he buys almost all of them. And then he hangs onto them and turns them in about twice a year. He uses almost all his own money to do this(with his parents and grandparents initial investment of course). So this would suck. This would end up costing me money on video games!!

  19. #19
    Muscletang's Avatar
    Posts
    4,781
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    The Matrix

    Originally Posted by SoonerBeerSnob View Post
    That blew my mind when I heard that.
    How so? Gamestop has been making a killing from used games and they want in on some of the action. They only get money from the sale of their game once while Gamestop can turn the same game around two or three times.

    Of course I don't see Ford, GM, or Toyota trying to shut down used car lots or private sells because they don't get a percentage.

    If they really try to go for this, expect to see a massive backlash from not only Gamestop but many angry gamers.

  20. #20
    Originally Posted by Muscletang View Post
    How so? Gamestop has been making a killing from used games and they want in on some of the action. They only get money from the sale of their game once while Gamestop can turn the same game around two or three times.

    Of course I don't see Ford, GM, or Toyota trying to shut down used car lots or private sells because they don't get a percentage.

    If they really try to go for this, expect to see a massive backlash from not only Gamestop but many angry gamers.
    You know what would just piss everyone off? Doing away with physical media. Why not just do that. No cases laying around, no disks getting scratched, cut down on production cost and cut out everyone between the developer and the customer and it would be environmentally friendly.
    The following users like this post: Pardner


  21. #21
    traxx's Avatar
    Posts
    9,651
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    In a DeLorean in 1985

    If it happens the price of games should come waaaaay down. But they won't. They'll still be charging $60. And forget about renting a game first to see if it sucks or not before blowing $60. With this lockdown, rentals are gone. You might get some kinda demo version but that's not telling the real story of how good or bad the game might be. If you can't rent the full version then there's no trust there. Say you play the demo and like it enough to spend the $60 and unlock the full version. You have no idea what kind of turd the developers were hiding behind the lock.
    The following users like this post: whatitis


  22. #22
    Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    If it happens the price of games should come waaaaay down. But they won't. They'll still be charging $60. And forget about renting a game first to see if it sucks or not before blowing $60. With this lockdown, rentals are gone. You might get some kinda demo version but that's not telling the real story of how good or bad the game might be. If you can't rent the full version then there's no trust there. Say you play the demo and like it enough to spend the $60 and unlock the full version. You have no idea what kind of turd the developers were hiding behind the lock.
    Didn't even think of the renting industry. I simply won't buy it new without renting it first. ****!

  23. #23
    Muscletang's Avatar
    Posts
    4,781
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    The Matrix

    Originally Posted by SoonerBeerSnob View Post
    You know what would just piss everyone off? Doing away with physical media. Why not just do that. No cases laying around, no disks getting scratched, cut down on production cost and cut out everyone between the developer and the customer and it would be environmentally friendly.
    It's not going to happen anytime soon. In a country like South Korea, sure.

    Watch Gamestop, Best Buy, Walmart, Target, and every store tell Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo they won't sell any of their merchandise in their stores if they try to pull that on them. If your controller breaks, you think people will be happy having to go to Sony's website and paying for shipping, handling, and overnighting because no stores in the area carry them?

    Also, there's not a high-speed internet infrastructure in place yet to reach everybody to do that. HD and 3D stuff isn't small. Metal Gear Solid 4 had to cut content to get on a 50 gigabyte disc, Final Fantasy XIII was 38 gigabytes, God of War III was 35 gigabytes, and there are many others taking up the same amount of space. You start making these games in 1080P with 3D graphics and that's an awful lot of data to be downloading.

    We'll have physical media for a while still.

  24. #24
    SpankyNek's Avatar
    Posts
    12,392
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Houston (Cypress)

    I predict that PS4 will mark the end of native 2D gaming. This is their big advantage over XBox, BluRay handles tons more data that can be used for this.

    Gran Turismo 3D would be a milestone.

  25. #25
    ozz's Avatar
    Posts
    2,068
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Dallas

    If these specs are correct, it looks like Sony is learning from it's mistakes with the PS3 (e.g., off the shelf parts, not putting all of its eggs in the "cell" basket and then tossing in a GPU relatively late in the game). Hopefully they use a unified memory structure more in line with what the Xbox360 uses.

  26. #26
    S00nerJay's Avatar
    Posts
    1,916
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Parts Unknown

    Originally Posted by Muscletang View Post
    It's not going to happen anytime soon. In a country like South Korea, sure.

    Watch Gamestop, Best Buy, Walmart, Target, and every store tell Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo they won't sell any of their merchandise in their stores if they try to pull that on them. If your controller breaks, you think people will be happy having to go to Sony's website and paying for shipping, handling, and overnighting because no stores in the area carry them?

    Also, there's not a high-speed internet infrastructure in place yet to reach everybody to do that. HD and 3D stuff isn't small. Metal Gear Solid 4 had to cut content to get on a 50 gigabyte disc, Final Fantasy XIII was 38 gigabytes, God of War III was 35 gigabytes, and there are many others taking up the same amount of space. You start making these games in 1080P with 3D graphics and that's an awful lot of data to be downloading.

    We'll have physical media for a while still.
    The idea for doing away with discs was floating around and I said it wouldn't happen for the reasons you stated. It would take an average cable high speed connection 20 hours to download a large game. It could take a dsl connection 2-3 days. ISP's would also be majorly pissed at all of the extra traffic. It would almost guarantee a sharp increase in the price of high speed internet (which would piss off everyone, non-gamers especially), or isp's would start putting caps on data usage. Data storage would also become a problem. 1 Terabyte will fill up quickly if games are 30+ gbs and it is used to watch HD movies.

    The new ps4 is supposed to lock out used titles and is reportedly not going to be backwards compatible. If you go to any story about the PS4 and read the comments, they are 95% negative. Sony is a DRM ****, and now they're taking it a step further.

    If they follow through with their current plans, I think they might be digging their own graves. Nintendo is going to be the only console who is backwards compatible and allows used games to be played without any restrictions. Even though Nintendo is looking like it's going to have the weakest hardware, it might end up blowing Sony and Microsoft away if they keep adding restrictions to their hardware.

  27. #27
    traxx's Avatar
    Posts
    9,651
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    In a DeLorean in 1985

    I get that they wanna do this to cut down on piracy but is piracy of video games really that bad? Plus, you're never gonna completely stop piracy. When they find a new way to lock it down that's just a challenge to the pirates to crack it. It's the same with any business, you've gotta expect some shrinkage. Don't punish all your good customers because of a few bad apples.

  28. #28
    Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    I get that they wanna do this to cut down on piracy but is piracy of video games really that bad? Plus, you're never gonna completely stop piracy. When they find a new way to lock it down that's just a challenge to the pirates to crack it. It's the same with any business, you've gotta expect some shrinkage. Don't punish all your good customers because of a few bad apples.
    Piracy on consoles is very small. This isn't a piracy issue though. It's game companies wanting to do away with used game sales all together.

    I really hope these rumors of the next Playstation and Xbox are all false. Even if it's a $10 charge to play any used game online I won't pay it.

  29. #29
    S00nerJay's Avatar
    Posts
    1,916
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Parts Unknown

    Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    I get that they wanna do this to cut down on piracy but is piracy of video games really that bad? Plus, you're never gonna completely stop piracy. When they find a new way to lock it down that's just a challenge to the pirates to crack it. It's the same with any business, you've gotta expect some shrinkage. Don't punish all your good customers because of a few bad apples.
    Piracy isn't the issue. The 360 and PS3 are hard to crack. The 360 isn't hard to crack by itself, but Microsoft has become quite adept at patching exploits and consoles are checked when they sign in to xbox live. If Microsoft sees that your console has been modified, it is permanently banned from online play.

    It took 4 years before the Ps3 was finally cracked, and since that time, Sony has stomped out that exploit.

    Sony has been making some odd, questionable decisions as of late that limit the functionality of hardware and limit the access to purchased videos and software. Sony has spared no expense to make sure they are as piracy-proof as possible and that they control all of their content. That is why they angered a few computer hackers. The main purpose behind the Playstation Network take over was to show that Sony spends millions to protect their content, but didn't even bother to encrypt sensitive customer data.

  30. #30
    Originally Posted by Van Hammersly View Post
    I think I can translate:
    -Double the screen resolution (despite the fact that no TV can actually show it)
    Within the next five years there will be a big push for the next generation of HDTV from the TV manufacturers. 3D didn't take off as they had hoped it would and they need something invigorate their industry a bit. The new standard will probably be 2k (2048x1080) resolution possibly even 4k(40962160) much like 1080p has become the high end standard currently. So if this is indeed the specs for the PS4 they will most likely be preparing for the future HD sets that will be coming out during it's life cycle which makes complete since that they would be moving in that direction.

    Edit: Another thought I see a couple of you guys discussing that storage and file sizes of the games and HD video in general. In the past few months there has been some pretty big leaps in compression codecs and technology which will allow for the same games or videos to be much smaller files sizes and yet have same clarity and resolution. So the same game that might be 30 gig today in 2 or 3 years after they work out the kinks a bit maybe as low as 5 or 10 gig. Just wanted to throw that out there. I agree though that I don't see how they could go away from the physical media just yet, but it's coming pretty quick.

  31. #31
    traxx's Avatar
    Posts
    9,651
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    In a DeLorean in 1985

    Originally Posted by drspencer View Post
    Within the next five years there will be a big push for the next generation of HDTV from the TV manufacturers. 3D didn't take off as they had hoped it would and they need something invigorate their industry a bit. The new standard will probably be 2k (2048x1080) resolution possibly even 4k(40962160) much like 1080p has become the high end standard currently. So if this is indeed the specs for the PS4 they will most likely be preparing for the future HD sets that will be coming out during it's life cycle which makes complete since that they would be moving in that direction.
    4K is just going to be another spec that they will use to tell you why your current TV isn't good enough and try to sell you newer TV.

    http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7...?tag=mncol;10n

  32. #32
    Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    4K is just going to be another spec that they will use to tell you why your current TV isn't good enough and try to sell you newer TV.

    http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7...?tag=mncol;10n
    True, but it won't stop them from coming out with it and pushing it as being the new standard.

  33. #33
    SpankyNek's Avatar
    Posts
    12,392
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Houston (Cypress)

    I personally think the double resolution will be used for 3d image rendering...using 1080 lines for each "eye image" would allow for two individuals to watch two seperate 1080p images simultaneously, or allow for true 1080p 3d at a better hz rate.

  34. #34
    Originally Posted by SpankyNek View Post
    I personally think the double resolution will be used for 3d image rendering...using 1080 lines for each "eye image" would allow for two individuals to watch two seperate 1080p images simultaneously, or allow for true 1080p 3d at a better hz rate.
    It's more about refresh rate, nvidia's 3d vision for pc gamers require a 120Hz monitor.

    It'll be nice when these consoles come out and PC games will stop being held back.

  35. #35
    Originally Posted by Nuked View Post
    It's more about refresh rate, nvidia's 3d vision for pc gamers require a 120Hz monitor.

    It'll be nice when these consoles come out and PC games will stop being held back.
    Yes. I really hate ports on the PC.

  36. #36
    S00nerJay's Avatar
    Posts
    1,916
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Parts Unknown

    Rumor is floating around that Sony is going to back off on restricting used games. They received a wave of heated backlash and rumor has it that Gamestop threatened to not carry the new system and would gradually stop carrying playstation games and accessories, which would deliver a huge blow to the sales of Playstation related products.

    Looks like Gamestop and Gamefly sent a memo to Sony and said, "You **** with our bottom line and we'll **** with yours."

  37. #37
    traxx's Avatar
    Posts
    9,651
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    In a DeLorean in 1985

    Two new articles, both from cnet, claiming opposite things on whether Sony will disable used games:

    http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-...ck-used-games/

    http://news.cnet.com/8301-10797_3-57...games-analyst/


    If Sony does it, there's a pretty good chance MS will too.

  38. #38
    It wouldn't make a difference to me if they did, I occasionally will sell a game back to Gamestop but rarely ever buy a used one. I know that they payed some poor sap (sometimes me) next to nothing for a game, then turned around and is trying to sell it to me for $29.99. Normally it's a game that's down to $40 new and I'd rather support the ones that did the work. I never rent before buying, so that doesn't affect me.

  39. #39
    Highly doubt they do it, too much backlash will come out of it.

  40. #40
    El Jefe's Avatar
    Posts
    3,727
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    East Dallas, Homie

    Possible Playstation 4 specs

    Originally Posted by OUMallen View Post
    Is that good?
    Haha. I said this in my head just after reading the title.

  41. #41
    SpankyNek's Avatar
    Posts
    12,392
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Houston (Cypress)

    Just a bit of conjecture here, but I know Sony has plans on revamping their failed PSTV. If PS4 were to launch with a low (relatively) priced 4k display (say around 32 inch for a grand) would it propel you more toward buying it?

    I know that BluRay functionality was a huge consideration early on with the PS3...it was a great player that allowed you to get two key entertainment pieces for a reasonable price.

    I could see a $1200 PS4 with 4K resolution display being a similar "game changer" if pocketbooks are that flexible a year from now.

  42. #42
    If that shit happens, I won't be gaming anymore. Pathetic.

    Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    Word is that next generation consoles may be seriously locked down.

    http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-.../?tag=mncol;3n

  43. #43
    It can't be that locked down. it just can't be

  44. #44
    Wasn't it rumored that MS was going to do that with the next xbox? Then the internet went into a shitstorm over it and MS backed-off? Or am I way off?

Similar Threads

  1. Lowering Food Specs
    By SoonerBounce in forum ThunderDome
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: June 21st, 2013, 03:45 PM