Why are Black people overrepresented on TV?

Posted 737 day(s) ago 7985 Views 144 Replies
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Why are Black people overrepresented on TV?

At less than 15% of the population, you'd expect to see one to two Black people out of every 10 people on TV. It seems a lot higher than that. It seems like Black people are 30-40% in the media/tv/movies.

Why is that?

Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
    At less than 15% of the population, you'd expect to see one to two Black people out of every 10 people on TV. It seems a lot higher than that. It seems like Black people are 30-40% in the media/tv/movies.

Why is that?
    Probably because Denzel hasn't made as many bad career choices as Costner has.
    3 users like oucub23's post: Gonzo, Stinger_1066, ThievingMagpie

vCash

Or Nicholas Cage.

Originally Posted by silverwheels View Post
    Or Nicholas Cage.
    Nobody has made as many bad choices as Nick Cage.
    The following users like this post: Stinger_1066

vCash

Why is that?
    Why do you care?

Fvckin live via tapatalk dos

Originally Posted by Turk View Post
    Why do you care?

I don't necessarily care. It's just an observation. I was curious and cared to share it to see what other people think.

Do you think it's an attempt to change the image of Black people primarily targeted at young Black people in a low socio-ecomomic setting? So that they may see that there are other ways of life for them. Other than gangbanging and pimpslapping hos (which is nice in moderation)?

vCash

It's called equal employment opportunity. Except there's nothing equal about it.

vCash

Same can be said for the gheys. Almost every show has a ghey character or one that's a bit borderline. Same with women(although they make up more than 15%). And all of them are usually made to be smarter than the men on the show.
    The following users like this post: Gonzo

vCash

I don't necessarily care. It's just an observation. I was curious and cared to share it to see what other people think.

Do you think it's an attempt to change the image of Black people primarily targeted at young Black people in a low socio-ecomomic setting? So that they may see that there are other ways of life for them. Other than gangbanging and pimpslapping hos (which is nice in moderation)?
    I doubt this is the case. Shows are created to entertain. I would wager that most of the blacks you see are on reality tv. Not very educational. You don't see many shows with blacks that have scripts.

vCash

Why is that?
    Seems a lot less than that to me, and too many times the black guy in the group is there to play a stereotype rather than contribute to the plot. But I dont watch much TV so maybe I dont know.

The real pressing question is why do so many people still pretend to like rap and hip-hop music? For ****'s sake, it is 2012, the jig has been up for quite a while.

vCash

Originally Posted by Sancho View Post
    Seems a lot less than that to me, and too many times the black guy in the group is there to play a stereotype rather than contribute to the plot. But I dont watch much TV so maybe I dont know.

The real pressing question is why do so many people still pretend to like rap and hip-hop music? For ****'s sake, it is 2012, the jig has been up for quite a while.
    This guys a character.

Why is that?
    Are you making your observation after watching the NFL network or NBA on TBS?
    The following users like this post: Stinger_1066

vCash

Pretend? Why would anyone pretend to like any genre of music?

Originally Posted by soonerintn View Post
    Are you making your observation after watching the NFL network or NBA on TBS?
    I do watch a lot of ESPN. That could be it.

vCash

Originally Posted by Derrouse View Post
    Right?

vCash

I do watch a lot of ESPN. That could be it.
    Lol! Well yeah. Lots of former athletes.

vCash

I can't wait until no one cares, or even notices. Maybe someday.
    2 users like Shooter's post: oucub23, Stinger_1066

vCash

Originally Posted by Shooterms View Post
    Amen

vCash

Originally Posted by Derrouse View Post
    Because they like the lifestyle that goes along with it. People pretend to like the Grateful Dead for the same reason.

vCash

People should only like classic rock, I guess.
    2 users like silverwheels's post: Stinger_1066, Turk

vCash

Because they like the lifestyle that goes along with it. People pretend to like the Grateful Dead for the same reason.
    I guess. I know plenty of people who listen to hip hop but lead regular lives.

That's crazy talk. The Dead is the greatest classic rock band.

vCash

Makes you wonder why rap and hip hop have traveled across the plane of musical genres. From pop to rock to country. Weird.......

vCash

Why is that?
    Because most TV shows take place in urban areas.
    The following users like this post: Turk

vCash

Most popular shows of the 2000's:

lol wut?
    The following users like this post: OnlyOneOklahoma

vCash

Originally Posted by Troker View Post

lol wut?
    Exactly

vCash

What is the % of homes in the black community that actually have cable television? Pretty sure the networks know who watch their shows.

Originally Posted by Shooterms View Post
    You are asking for an impossible.
    The following users like this post: boomermagic

lol wut?
    You're being too selective. I'm talking ALL of Tv. It has to be over 20%.

15% ? Not where I grew up... And not in LA where they produce the shit. Also, it is basketball season.

Originally Posted by OJDaddyDolla View Post
    15% ? Not where I grew up... And not in LA where they produce the shit. Also, it is basketball season.
    Where they produce that stuff and live in LA is far less than 15%.

vCash

That's crazy talk. The Dead is the greatest classic rock band.
    LOL. Most classic rock fans couldnt name more than one Dead song.

Where they produce that stuff and live in LA is far less than 15%.
    This thread must've looked like it needed a smartass. "In LA (comma) where they produce the stuff." That should be more clear for ya.

Bottom line is the market controls how many black ppl are on TV. Obviously it helps the ratings, etc. Maybe because most white people aren't racist and don't get bothered by too many black people on TV. Don't like it, boycott the shows with black ppl. I'm sure it will make a difference

vCash

You're being too selective. I'm talking ALL of Tv. It has to be over 20%.
    You're almost certainly not talking about ALL of TV. You're probably talking about the TV you watch. Of course there are a disproportionate amount of black people talking about sports in which a disproportionate amount of black people participate.

I chose a handful of the most popular shows on network television to point out that the most popular and successful shows on television are typically a whitewash.

vCash

Describe that lifestyle for us.

Originally Posted by OJDaddyDolla View Post
    This thread must've looked like it needed a smartass. "In LA (comma) where they produce the stuff." That should be more clear for ya.

Bottom line is the market controls how many black ppl are on TV. Obviously it helps the ratings, etc. Maybe because most white people aren't racist and don't get bothered by too many black people on TV. Don't like it, boycott the shows with
    black ppl. I'm sure it will make a difference
    I was talking about the exact cities in "LA" where they produce the stuff and live. Those areas are way less than 15%. And if you are using Los Angeles, then there would be way more Hispanics on TV.

You're almost certainly not talking about ALL of TV. You're probably talking about the TV you watch. Of course there are a disproportionate amount of black people talking about sports in which a disproportionate amount of black people participate.

I chose a handful of the most popular shows on network television to point out that the most popular and successful shows on television are typically a whitewash.
    Surely the statistics for ALL of TV are out there. Perhaps I should have googled before making this thread?

Well, they certainly should learn a few songs because The Dead is the best Classic Rock band. In terms of "jam bands", The Dead falls well below Umphrey's McGee and Moe..

vCash

Well, they certainly should learn a few songs because The Dead is the best Classic Rock band. In terms of "jam bands", The Dead falls well below Umphrey's McGee and Moe..
    Right.... thats why people go to their shows... because they are a great jam band... it has nothing to do with wanting to sit around smelling like ass while doing copious amounts of drugs

vCash

What next a KKK board ? Geeeezzee.. So many racists

Right.... thats why people go to their shows... because they are a great jam band... it has nothing to do with wanting to sit around smelling like ass while doing copious amounts of drugs
    Moderate to heavy drug abuse can be found at a multiple of various places; places such as Pink Floyd laser light shows, public schools, alleys in NYC, and Baptist churches.

It can not be held to fault the greatest classic band that Ken Kesey got doped on government LSD, convinced of group of merry pranksters to party with him, and then (while at the same time listening to the Black jazz artist (btw, far more talented than today's hip hop pseudo-magicians)) just so happened to discover that the Dead are truly masterful in the craft. It's certainly no fault of the great classic rock band that followers of Kesey and the pranksters also, perhaps under the influence, happened to find their soothing melodies especially appealing.

vCash

Moderate to heavy drug abuse can be found at a multiple of various places; places such as Pink Floyd laser light shows, public schools, alleys in NYC, and Baptist churches.

It can not be held to fault the greatest classic band that Ken Kesey got doped on government LSD, convinced of group of merry pranksters to party with him, and then (while at the same time listening to the Black jazz artist (btw, far more talented than today's hip hop pseudo-magicians)) just so happened to discover that the Dead are truly masterful in the craft. It's certainly no fault of the great classic rock band that followers of Kesey and the pranksters also, perhaps under the influence, happened to find their soothing melodies especially appealing.
    I believe you were on some type of hallucinogen when you typed all that.

vCash

Surely the statistics for ALL of TV are out there. Perhaps I should have googled before making this thread?
    If it really bothers you, then yeah, I guess you should.

Originally Posted by boomermagic View Post
    What next a KKK board ? Geeeezzee.. So many racists
    Well if you look back it's really just this Gonzo character who is hellbent on banning blacks in showbiz, no one else is really agreeing with dude. Gonzo clearly has some pint up energy he's probably been sitting on his ass all day doin nothing. Some ppl need to get some exercise or smoke some weed. If not you get bored and start fighting nonsensical battles like this...

vCash

Why is that?
    This is an amazing topic thread. Reason being, I just brought up this exact thing last night while watching TV with my dad.

I'm like you, it doesn't bother me by any means....but it is an interesting observation. Having not watched any American network TV for a few years now, this is one thing that really jumps out at you in the commercials. Black folks are EVERYWHERE! Kind of funny.

We counted a dozen commercials in a row and black actors played a significant role in 9 of them.

vCash

For ****'s sake if I wanted to hear this line of thought I'd go talk to my father on the subject. He thinks the liberal media is rubbing in the fact we have a black liberal president so they have to throw black people into every commercial, sitcom, game show, and anything dealing with news and entertainment. I know one time he counted and said, "statistically blacks only make up a small number of the population but I counted on in 50% of commercials. The liberal media can't just represent people they have to overcompensate since we now have a black liberal president."

Don't let your hatred of Obama cloud your judgement and reason.

vCash

You have to be fried out of your mind for those geezers to be listenable.

vCash

Truckin' and Touch of Gray. Do I win a prize?

Scarlett Begonias > stairway to heaven

I'd rather see more Swedish people on TV, and women are underrepresented so they ought to be women.