Those with Jobs- Pack a Lunch or Buy a Lunch

Posted 902 day(s) ago 1955 Views 40 Replies

Those with Jobs- Pack a Lunch or Buy a Lunch

I pack my lunch. I am cheap and I like to eat a little healthier than the average quick lunch allows. Every 2 weeks on Friday I order lunch out.

How about you

The diet I am on requires smaller meals and small snacks in between, so I have to bring my lunch (and snacks). I will occasionally get a salad at the cafeteria, but, calorie for calorie, the healthy food I make is usually better than what I can find in most restaurants.
    The following users like this post: waynepayne

I pack a lunch pretty much everyday. Maybe once a week i'll eat out.

I eat this 5 days a week, every week:

Smoked turkey on 100% whole grain with yellow mustard. A banana. Water.

I travel a lot, so I eat in tons of restaurants. Grilled chicken salad, no onions or eggs, low fat ranch on the side. My office is almost exactly 5 miles from home (straight shot), so if I happen to be in the office, I go home for lunch. Or sometimes I just don't eat.

I work mostly from home so I don't pack a lunch but it is just right in the fridge typically.

I keep peanut butter and a loaf of bread at work, then will bring in ingredients and other stuff if I feel like having a different kind of sandwich. I try to bring food most of the time because it gets expensive. If not there's a sandwich place in downtown OKC I love.

Being the bachelor that i am, i usually cook extra and take that for my lunch.
    The following users like this post: Sieve

Originally Posted by jdmt37 View Post
    Great idea

The Mobile Device in TX

The same here.

I go out to lunch about once a month. I usually have leftovers

leftovers nearly every day.

Usually take leftovers, a Lean Cuisine or make a sandwich and bring it from home.
    The following users like this post: Aurora

Ditto

I pack my lunch everyday. On Sundays I grill up a whole bunch of chicken breast and then pack that and a veggie.

The cafe where I work is dumb expensive, even for salads.

nothing but milk and honey for me. when they unshackle me, that is.

generally either leftovers or a turkey sandwich, chips and some fruit. i eat out probably an average of once every 2 weeks or so. too expensive and unhealthy to eat out every day.

When I was still going to work, I only ate out on payday Friday. Both breakfast and lunch. It was my little reward so to speak.

I used to eat out every day but since the first of the year got back on the health kick. My diet is similar to DIB's so always bring snacks and lunch. Might eat out 1-2 times a month now.

I eat out most work days. I travel a lot, so packing lunch isn't an option.

Definately take lunch. I grill on the weekends and have plenty to last the week. Best gift I ever got was one of the large 5 container 6pack lunchbox.
    http://www.sixpackbags.com/products/

Originally Posted by Jaiddin View Post
    Definately take lunch. I grill on the weekends and have plenty to last the week. Best gift I ever got was one of the large 5 container 6pack lunchbox.
    http://www.sixpackbags.com/products/
    That is awesome I am very fortunate we pretty much have a kitchen here in the shop so I am able to use the stuff. =)

I would kill to have access to a kitchen during the day. I got my fingers crossed that my job will transition to a work from home position soon. Easier to stay on clean eating that way.

I eat out every day. I've been telling myself for 30 years I need to start taking my lunch, but I never do! I don't even want to think about the money I've spent since college.... When you add in 30 years of happy hours, OUCH! (It was a hell of a lotta fun though)!

Originally Posted by DIB View Post
    The diet I am on requires smaller meals and small snacks in between, so I have to bring my lunch (and snacks). I will occasionally get a salad at the cafeteria, but, calorie for calorie, the healthy food I make is usually better than what I can find in most restaurants.
    Some of the new studies are showing that small meals and snacks don't improve metabolism--they may actually lower it slightly. It does help prevent you from overeating though.

Back on topic, I typically buy my lunch. If I make up extra i'll bring my lunch, but my schedule sucks. I work late a lot so I don't cook much--usually it's something quick for the kids before I even get home.

Eat out every day. I probably buy half my lunches, the others are bought for me by my top vendors. It gets old though always eating with vendors and clients. Every so often I will order lunch in and close my office door. Nice to have some peace and quiet on those days.

Originally Posted by oucub23 View Post
    Some of the new studies are showing that small meals and snacks don't improve metabolism--they may actually lower it slightly. It does help prevent you from overeating though.
    I've lost 78lbs in 4.5 months doing it, so it must be working.

damn dude congrats!

As Ad said, congrats. As to losing why you've lost the 78 lbs, paying attention to what you stick in your face makes a huge difference. If it's working for you, keep it up. My comment was more to the science of it all--the stuff I'm seeing is showing that it doesn't matter when you have your calories as long as you're controlling the number. If you're on an 1800 a day calorie diet, you can eat all 1800 for breakfast if you want. You can not eat all day and eat all 1800 right before you go to bed, or you can have 5 meals of 360 calories. You're going to lose weight all 3 ways, but some of the stuff is showing it may be a tiny amount quicker in the 2 loaded scenarios (not enough that you'd tell a difference on the scale, but only stuff that is able to be monitored in a lab setting.) By what you'll be able to tell, it'll look to be about the same pace in all 3 ways.

As I said though, it's much easier to control your amount that you intake if you're spreading it out and not waiting until you get super hungry. That's when you overeat--many small meals keeps you from ever getting hungry, so tend to eat less.

Lunch on the company dime is always better than bothering the wife to make something for your brown paper bag....
    The following users like this post: oucub23

Originally Posted by Sooners View Post
    Lunch on the company dime is always better than bothering the wife to make something for your brown paper bag....
    Unless you own the company.
    The following users like this post: Sooners

I carry my lunch in a cute pink bag thank you =)

Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
    I carry my lunch in a cute pink bag thank you =)
    Weird. Me too ...

Weird. Me too ...
    cute!!!

Why can't you make your own lunch? Are you handless?

Originally Posted by McRib View Post

He has a wife...!!! Duh...!!!

Originally Posted by McRib View Post
    he can't be bothered with women's work

Some companies are doing that. I have a friend that works for Ubiquiti Networks, and they cater in lunch for everybody. He has spent time at Google and said even catering in does not compare to what they have for lunch. Several cafeterias, all gratis to the employees-with gourmet meals. That would be pretty damned awesome. Me - I normally skip lunch, occasionally go out to eat (maybe once every 3 months), and maybe once a week bring a lunch. Depends on my mood.

As Ad said, congrats. As to losing why you've lost the 78 lbs, paying attention to what you stick in your face makes a huge difference. If it's working for you, keep it up. My comment was more to the science of it all--the stuff I'm seeing is showing that it doesn't matter when you have your calories as long as you're controlling the number. If you're on an 1800 a day calorie diet, you can eat all 1800 for breakfast if you want. You can not eat all day and eat all 1800 right before you go to bed, or you can have 5 meals of 360 calories. You're going to lose weight all 3 ways, but some of the stuff is showing it may be a tiny amount quicker in the 2 loaded scenarios (not enough that you'd tell a difference on the scale, but only stuff that is able to be monitored in a lab setting.) By what you'll be able to tell, it'll look to be about the same pace in all 3 ways.

As I said though, it's much easier to control your amount that you intake if you're spreading it out and not waiting until you get super hungry. That's when you overeat--many small meals keeps you from ever getting hungry, so tend to eat less.
    I'm certainly not an expert on the subject...but...there's no way that is correct. The part about consuming all your calories at once being the same as spreading them out over several meals.

Your body does not calculate calories taken in vs. calories burned at the end of the day. It doesn't work that way. Your body burns calories as it needs them.

If you consume all your daily calories in one sitting, the body stores the excess calories in fat. And...when it needs those calories...well...it's harder to get calories from fat.

Also...if you wait long periods between meals, your body goes into starvation mode...

I'm not saying that 5 or 6 small meals a day is better either. However, it is MUCH better than ONE HUGE meal.

Originally Posted by A Fan View Post
    I'm certainly not an expert on the subject...but...there's no way that is correct. The part about consuming all your calories at once being the same as spreading them out over several meals.

Your body does not calculate calories taken in vs. calories burned at the end of the day. It doesn't work that way. Your body burns calories as it needs them.

If you consume all your daily calories in one sitting, the body stores the excess calories in fat. And...when it needs those calories...well...it's harder to get calories from fat.

Also...if you wait long periods between meals, your body goes into starvation mode...

I'm not saying that 5 or 6 small meals a day is better either. However, it is MUCH better than ONE HUGE meal.
    I believe the article was in Men's Health, and the research was done by a legitimate source. I'll try and track it down.

Fortunate enough to be able to go home for lunch. Usually turkey sammy on wheat.