***Conference Apocalypse Part IV: The NeverEnding Story

Posted 678 day(s) ago by DelMarSooner159082 Views 2970 Replies
Page 4 of 60 2 3 4 5 6 14 54

Originally Posted by McTouchdown View Post
    Then I think the watch to secede from the NCAA begins.
    Playoff is reconfigured and The Big 4 at 16 hold conference semis AND conference title games to produce 4 bids for the playoff. ESPN, CBS, etc. profit BIG TIME.

DP

Originally Posted by SoonerAmongThePack View Post
    Playoff is reconfigured and The Big 4 at 16 hold conference semis AND conference title games to produce 4 bids for the playoff. ESPN, CBS, etc. profit BIG TIME.
    DeFacto 16 team playoff.
    2 users like The's post: McTouchdown, SoonerAmongThePack

Originally Posted by The View Post
    DeFacto 16 team playoff.
    At this point, what happens to Notre Dames dick?

Originally Posted by SpankyNek View Post
    At this point, what happens to Notre Dames dick?
    They're in if they're ranked in the top 10 over the lowest Conference Champ, I would imagine.

Or there would be some bullshit 5th "Play-in" game that is ostensibly for the mid-majors, but would be ND's access.

SoonerBounce Guest
    you guys are dumb

Not sure this has been posted yet -- Cincy pushing to get into ACC: http://espn.go.com/college-sports/st...oin-acc-source

Originally Posted by lauderdaleOU View Post
    Not sure this has been posted yet -- Cincy pushing to get into ACC: http://espn.go.com/college-sports/st...oin-acc-source
    That means the Big 12 has told them to pound sand.

Originally Posted by lauderdaleOU View Post
    That means the Big 12 has told them to pound sand.

This year is a potential example of what the (foreseeable) playoff future may look like.

Notre Dame
    SEC Champ
    SEC 1-loss
    (free for all between PAC, Big12, Big Ten, ACC) for the 4th spot.

Notre Dame as a continuing power changes the dynamic quite a bit.
    And that is obviously assuming the continuing media infatuation with the SEC.

And if so, the ACC schools have to see this as a HUGE negative.
    Hell, its a negative for us, I can't imagine how they would view it other than shitting their pants.

Concerns over playoff money is the only thing that will critically harm the ACC to the point that FSU leaves.
    The following users like this post: Sabla

Re: *** Conference Apocalypse Part 3: A New Hope ***

So what in the world is the Big 12 going to do? Hopefully not be a wallflower lol.

I understand the ND draw but I don't understand why they're given so much more preferential treatment. It's way more than just a little special treatment and why would the rest of CFB allow it? They could freeze out ND in a variety of ways but they don't. Why?

Originally Posted by ProudSoonersFan View Post
    So what in the world is the Big 12 going to do? Hopefully not be a wallflower lol.
    The Big 12 appears to be in wallflower mode
    2 users like sb93's post: byrk75, OSULadyCowboy

And if so, the ACC schools have to see this as a HUGE negative.
    Hell, its a negative for us, I can't imagine how they would view it other than shitting their pants.
    Big negative for Big 12 and Pac 12 now. Worse for ACC.

B1G and SEC sitting pretty.

Originally Posted by DelMarSooner View Post
    Big negative for Big 12 and Pac 12 now. Worse for ACC.

B1G and SEC sitting pretty.
    B1G (absorbs best of ACC + Notre Dame )/ SEC (cherry picks new market-states) / PAC (absorbs +6 from Big12)@ 20 members a piece, coming to a cable/ dish provider near you...

Originally Posted by boomhorn. View Post
    B1G (absorbs best of ACC)/ SEC (cherry picks new market-states) / PAC (absorbs +6 from Big12)@ 20 members a piece, coming to a cable/ dish provider near you...
    The Baylor Bear waving around his GOR will be along shortly. Sounds good to me though. :0
    The following users like this post: OU812

Originally Posted by usaosooner View Post
    the 2003 Oklahoma sooner disapprove.

So, I know a guy...

The law firm that helped negotiate the Nebraska move was in Oklahoma city yesterday (Monday). There was a certain other group of lawyers from OKC with OU ties(if you know what I'm talking about, you know who I'm taking about) that met with them. Word along the bar circuit is that the meetings were extremely positive, and involved not only OU, but a certain basketball powehrouse as well. They say the TV money proposed is off the charts, with ABC, Fox, and even NBC lined up for the top content.

These people seem to think it's a done deal already, and there is just a little bit of legal bullshit that has to be gotten out of the way first. The speculation among the group is that 16 isn't the end game, but 20, with a better Big 8 + 2 on one side with a traditional Big 10 on the other side. As for Texas, there was nothing but shrugs.

Apparently, Maryland was just an effort to shake UNC loose, and that gambit didn't work out. So, we are apparently Plan B, and Boren et. al are in favor. The Big 20 is going to become the biggest thing since the NFL\AFL merger.

Again, it's just what I heard. I hang out with some people that should know, but we're all a bunch of drunks in a bar when it comes down to it, so take it as you will.
    2 users like The's post: McTouchdown, suncoastsooner

lol

So, I know a guy...

The law firm that helped negotiate the Nebraska move was in Oklahoma city yesterday (Monday). There was a certain other group of lawyers from OKC with OU ties(if you know what I'm talking about, you know who I'm taking about) that met with them. Word along the bar circuit is that the meetings were extremely positive, and involved not only OU, but a certain basketball powehrouse as well. They say the TV money proposed is off the charts, with ABC, Fox, and even NBC lined up for the top content.

These people seem to think it's a done deal already, and there is just a little bit of legal bullshit that has to be gotten out of the way first. The speculation among the group is that 16 isn't the end game, but 20, with a better Big 8 + 2 on one side with a traditional Big 10 on the other side. As for Texas, there was nothing but shrugs.

Apparently, Maryland was just an effort to shake UNC loose, and that gambit didn't work out. So, we are apparently Plan B, and Boren et. al are in favor. The Big 20 is going to become the biggest thing since the NFL\AFL merger.

Again, it's just what I heard. I hang out with some people that should know, but we're all a bunch of drunks in a bar when it comes down to it, so take it as you will.
    You're way better at this than the dude from WV.
    2 users like OU812's post: meoveryouxinfinity, OSULadyCowboy

RT @ACCSports From David Glenn - ACC presidents holding 7 a.m. conference call tomorrow to talk expansion. Details to come ...

Originally Posted by OU812 View Post
    You're way better at this than the dude from WV.

Of course. If I actually knew anything, I would have monetized it. I just talked to a friend at a bar. He told me because he said the thing is done. He's either bullshiting me, which is most likely, or he really was wasted (he was drinking johnny walker red, so I know he wasn't wasting time) and confiding shit to me.

So there you go.

RT @ACCSports From David Glenn - ACC presidents holding 7 a.m. conference call tomorrow to talk expansion. Details to come ...
    kinda early. I bet they let some Big east team in

So, I know a guy...

there MIGHT be something to this but who knows really. some things line up but not others

Is this a conf call with ND, so ND can tell them what to do now. The ACC doesn't make a move now unless clearing it with ND.
    The following users like this post: soonerUthenMe

Jeff Rabjohns ‏@JeffRabjohns

Hmmm ... Interesting reports that B1G is sending feelers to N. Carolina, Virginia, Ga Tech, Notre Dame, Kansas and will take 2 of the 4.

So, I know a guy...

Nice try. It's actually 24, and Dan Beebe has been at the heart of the negotiations all along. He specifically got shitcanned to clear up conflict of interest issues.

Originally Posted by MrQster View Post
    Jeff Rabjohns ‏@JeffRabjohns

Hmmm ... Interesting reports that B1G is sending feelers to N. Carolina, Virginia, Ga Tech, Notre Dame, Kansas and will take 2 of the 4.
    Sounds like an effort to shake UNC loose cuz the other 3 would likely jump at the chance as soon as they were offered. The B1G and SEC are going to strike at the heart of the ACC. If UNC goes anywhere, the ACC will fall.

...and of course then OU, KU, tx, tcu to the B1G as #17-20 and the first MegaConference is born.

Louisville may be heading to ACC according to ESPN

New thread:

ACC looks likely to add Louisville in the morning. Expect the ACC to hold together. Big12 still holding their dick

@DanWetzel: ACC sources say Louisville is clear leading expansion candidate but some still favor standing pat

ESPN just changed their minds....

So, I know a guy...

Cool if true.

OU would thrive in a conference vs B1G teams. Renewed annual matchup with NU and an occasional game with tOSU, Meatchicken and PSU would be great.

Re: ***Conference Apocalypse Part IV: The NeverEnding Story

I'd prefer Big 10 over Pac 12 any day.

A 20 team conference isn't unfeasible. It is the only situation where a pod system would make sense. You have 4 pods of 5 teams. Each team plays the same 4 teams in its own pod every year, then rotates to play the 5 teams of another pod each year.

In other words, the 4 pods are paired up into informal divisions that rotate each year, and the winners of the "divisions" play in a conference title game. This guarantees that conference title game is a novel matchup, with no possible rematch in any given season. So if the pods are SW, NW, NE, SE, Year 1 has SW + NW vs. NE + SE, Year 2 has SW + NE vs. NW + SE, Year 3 has SW + SE vs. NW + NE, Year 4 start over again...Within 3 years, each program has played all other 19 teams. Within 6 years, each program has played all 19 teams home and away.

The most overrated thing in conference play is the idea of playing the same teams over, and over, and over again. We have no reason to play ISU every year. We have no reason to play ISU every two years. We have no reason to ever play ISU again. We have a handful of conference teams past and present that we, ideally and historically, have wanted to play every single year: Texas, Nebraska, OSU. Maybe A&M, CU, Missouri, and some token TX teams. We don't need, nor gain any benefit, from playing KSU, KU, WVU, and ISU every single year. I would throw in Tech and Baylor, as if we were to play some generic TX team every year, we'd get more recruiting bang for the buck playing TCU, SMU, Rice, Houston, and/or UT San Antonio than we would Tech and Baylor. So a 20 team league that can somehow (ideally) involve a 5 team pod of OU, NU, OSU, UT, and some token TX team (or replace OSU with a 3rd TX team), would be a pretty damn good pod for OU to be in, particularly if we could look forward to Ohio State, Michigan, Wisconsin, etc, appearing on the schedule regularly when their pods rotate in.

I have no idea if the Big 10 or the SEC or the PAC would seriously consider this, but the downsides aren't as great as some may want to fret on the surface. The Olympic sports can be relegated to 10 team divisions for gymnastics and water polo, with no contact among the far reaching geographically placed teams in the other division unless in conference tournament scenarios.

I doubt the Big 10 is seriously thinking this--there are too many implications for their academic initiatives and standards--but a 20 team league is workable and has many advantages. If this was a serious notion, I would rather see the Big 10 leapfrog the middle glut of the ACC and take in Florida State and Miami in the East, and OU/UT/Rice/TCU in the West. Pod 1: OU, NU, UT, TCU, Rice (patsy, but AAU, plants conference flag in Houston where SEC has taken hold). Pod 2: Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Illinois, Northwestern. Pod 3: Indiana, Purdue, tOSU, Mich, MSU. Pod 4: PSU, Rutgers, Maryland, FSU, Miami. Wide, wide geographic coverage of the Midwest, NYC area, DC area, Texas, and Florida.
    4 users like Master Pandemonium's post: boomhorn., byrk75, OU812, thurman murman

So, I know a guy...

I'll take a Jack & Coke and a Vegas Bomb, Thanks.

New thread:

ACC looks likely to add Louisville in the morning. Expect the ACC to hold together. Big12 still holding their dick

North Carolina AD responds to realignment rumors:
    http://espn.go.com/college-sports/st...ignment-rumors
    Does that sound like a school who gives one **** about football?

So, I know a guy...

Was Dick Ebersol seen meeting with them as well?
    The following users like this post: The

McMurphyESPN: BREAKING: ACC votes to add Louisville sources tell @espn. Cards will be 6th team to leave Big East for ACC

So, I know a guy...

Sounds like a case of my dick is bigger than your dick.

My guy tells me this is a done deal. It makes FSU and Clemson happier, which appears to keep them put for now. Though he reiterates that the underlying problem remains..more money can be made elsewhere.

Not the big prize Swofford was after (ND) and appears to be a plan B with the goal of just stopping the bleeding. I'd expect this stabilizes things for now.

Louisville huh? Boren mad, Daddy Dodds don't care.
    The following users like this post: OSULadyCowboy

McMurphyESPN: BREAKING: ACC votes to add Louisville sources tell @espn. Cards will be 6th team to leave Big East for ACC
    Yep this^ just hit the scroll on ESPN2

Originally Posted by SoonerAmongThePack View Post
    My guy tells me this is a done deal. It makes FSU and Clemson happier, which appears to keep them put for now. Though he reiterates that the underlying problem remains..more money can be made elsewhere.

Not the big prize Swofford was after (ND) and appears to be a plan B with the goal of just stopping the bleeding. I'd expect this stabilizes things for now.
    Is this^ the popular opinion? Or is there any chance we(Big 12) can add an FSU + Clemson to get back to a CCG? Or are we basically still where we were nearly a year ago when we added WVU and TCU?

I would really think the extra potential $ that a CCG could possibly bring would be tempting enough to get something like this done? I know Louisville had been mentioned as an outside possibility but obviously that ship has now sailed...

Thanks for anyone who can update me so I do not have to read the majority of this thread

Big 12 will add Tulsa and UCF.

Originally Posted by SoonerLibertarian View Post
    Big 12 will add Tulsa and UCF.
    OSU would shit their pants if the Big 12 added Tulsa. I do not see much $ value there but I personally wouldn't hate it. And UCF would maybe be a foothold in Florida recruiting/TVwise so that makes a little sense.

Nonetheless everyone would much prefer FSU and Clemson

Originally Posted by Irish_Sooner View Post
    Yep this^ just hit the scroll on ESPN2

Is this^ the popular opinion? Or is there any chance we(Big 12) can add an FSU + Clemson to get back to a CCG? Or are we basically still where we were nearly a year ago when we added WVU and TCU?

I would really think the extra potential $ that a CCG could possibly bring would be tempting enough to get something like this done? I know Louisville had been mentioned as an outside possibility but obviously that ship has now sailed...

Thanks for anyone who can update me so I do not have to read the majority of this thread
    I personally think FSU and Clemson will stay put until they feel the ACC is non-viable. And there's a lot of folks with fingers on the button to blow it up but doesn't want to be the one to fire the kill shot (UNC, GT, etc.)

Maryland was flat broke and couldn't resist the B1G payout. I think the ACC will survive unless another president just can't resist the greed of a bigger payout in the B1G.

we won't add anyone unless the acc folds ... and that only happens if virginia goes BIG

So we lost our safety school to the ACC. Pretty much guaranteed we're staying at 10 until the GOR ends which sucks.

Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    we won't add anyone unless the acc folds ... and that only happens if virginia goes BIG
    Yep. The Big XII getting back to 12, or beyond, requires the ACC to blow up. I don't think the conference has any interest in doing the alternative and adding Big East or C-USA schools just to get to 12.

My pipe dream wish is that Larry Scott comes to the conclusion that the Pac-12 Network is a bust...they can't get major carriers to buy in and they need to do something to shake it up. Plus, their new members are doing jack to help, and decides to go all rogue and re-open adding 4 from the Big XII.

It's funny..the Pac-12 network and the LHN, both of which were at odds back when talks were going on, have both been big busts.