'14 RB Nathan Starks - offer

Posted 705 day(s) ago by huntinsooner39759 Views 284 Replies
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4
    vCash

DeMarco and AD should fly in unannounced to his high school like Billy Sims did for Marcus Dupree.

vCash

Don't think using a pro alum in recruiting is in the NCAA rule book.

vCash

Originally Posted by SoonerDan74012 View Post
    DeMarco and AD should fly in unannounced to his high school like Billy Sims did for Marcus Dupree.
    Originally Posted by 61sooner View Post
    Don't think using a pro alum in recruiting is in the NCAA rule book.
    Dan: He met Demarco back this summer while he was here touring OU if I remember correctly. From what I could gather that meant a lot to him.
    61: I believe there is a rule prohibiting schools from using ex athletes as active recruiting tools unless they have a relationship already with a kid before the school becomes involved in recruiting him. Reggie Bush almost got another set of sanctions against USC when he was playing for the Saints by calling kids on behalf of USC that he did not know. In the case of DM bumping into Starks while on a recruiting visit I wouldn't think would be a violation of any kind, possibly a grey area though.

It's not a violation if you are visiting and the ex player is at school working out or whatever. What Bush did was get on three way with Pete and McKnight and tell him that he didn't do anything wrong so he shouldn't worry about sanctions and come to usc. That was/is a violation and Joe McKnight backtracked on his statement on signing day
    The following users like this post: drspencer

vCash

Originally Posted by qaz View Post
    It's not a violation if you are visiting and the ex player is at school working out or whatever. What Bush did was get on three way with Pete and McKnight and tell him that he didn't do anything wrong so he shouldn't worry about sanctions and come to usc. That was/is a violation and Joe McKnight backtracked on his statement on signing day
    You are correct, I couldn't remember off the top of my head who the player was Bush talked with.

vCash

Originally Posted by Sooner 76 View Post
    Gundy is recruiting him. He almost always gets his man. Maybe he should wear a mountie outfit.

Alex Ross, Keith Ford, Nate Starks. Sick, sick, sick talent at RB.
    Hell maybe we should have Gundy help out with DT recruiting as well. If this were to happen we would have top 5 classes and be winning BCS champioships every year.

vCash

Any news? Saw he has a clear favorite according to ESPN folks.

Originally Posted by 2SBTM View Post
    Any news? Saw he has a clear favorite according to ESPN folks.
    OU is the clear favorite. Expect a verbal on Junior Day.

vCash

HN: Oklahoma has been rumored to be your favorite. Is that the case?

Starks: As of right now I’d say yes. Coach [Cale] Gundy has definitely been the coach that I have grown closest to. He stays in touch with me on Twitter and I see him at my school a lot. He’s definitely the coach I am closest to, and I’ve always been an OU fan.
    4 users like usaosooner's post: andymancan20, DirtySouth_Sooner, huntinsooner, VRO405

vCash

Nice

vCash

Originally Posted by usaosooner View Post
    HN: Oklahoma has been rumored to be your favorite. Is that the case?

Starks: As of right now I’d say yes. Coach [Cale] Gundy has definitely been the coach that I have grown closest to. He stays in touch with me on Twitter and I see him at my school a lot. He’s definitely the coach I am closest to, and I’ve always been an OU fan.
    We need a Cale emoticon like we do for
    The following users like this post: VRO405

vCash

On Twitter? Had no knowledge of Cale on twitter. Seemed too old school for the twitters, to me anyways. Haha

atalk

vCash

Foreman, Starks, and Hansen would be a great start to our class of 14. With those elite offensive talents in hand we could focus on DL, OL, and LB and then cherry pick a couple of other skill position guys.
    The following users like this post: VRO405

Originally Posted by Sancho View Post
    Foreman, Starks, and Hansen would be a great start to our class of 14. With those elite offensive talents in hand we could focus on DL, OL, and LB and then cherry pick a couple of other skill position guys.
    Hey Sancho, Where can I get that burrito?

Originally Posted by 2SBTM View Post
    On Twitter? Had no knowledge of Cale on twitter. Seemed too old school for the twitters, to me anyways. Haha

atalk
    Prob because he doesnt **** things up with his twitter account when it comes to his recruits........just sayin

vCash

Originally Posted by Sooner 76 View Post
    OU is the clear favorite. Expect a verbal on Junior Day.
    Sounds like he's not coming to any Junior Days (of anyone) b/c of finances. He told the Whorns main recruiting guy that OU is the clear #1 right now for multiple reasons, but does have interest in Texas. Familiar with their RB history and he's never been to the state.

vCash

That's to bad he can't do a visit. Hope OU can close on him.

vCash

there's got to be a sooner fan in vegas who can drive him down here...put him in the trunk so as not to make it feel like a benefit haha

Originally Posted by andymancan20 View Post
    there's got to be a sooner fan in vegas who can drive him down here...put him in the trunk so as not to make it feel like a benefit haha
    Just need a rigged slot machine that always pays out kinda like the one Auburn supposedly had

vCash

bump

hope this kid has been getting some love, i think he and Joe Mixon are my favorite RBs in this class. Seems like there are actually quite a few good backs in this class but Starks would be my top choice
    The following users like this post: srburkhart

vCash

Looks like Rivals updated his profile. Ironically, Jerry Montgomery was recruiting him before he took the OU job and it looks like he won't need to now.
    2 users like SoonerDan74012's post: drspencer, melbitoast

vCash

Looks like Rivals updated his profile. Ironically, Jerry Montgomery was recruiting him before he took the OU job and it looks like he won't need to now.
    Might make an even stronger case for him to come to OU.

Originally Posted by cscsooner View Post
    bump

hope this kid has been getting some love, i think he and Joe Mixon are my favorite RBs in this class. Seems like there are actually quite a few good backs in this class but Starks would be my top choice
    I too flip flop btwn Starks and Mixon. I hope we get em both.

vCash

are you a rivals member? are we still leading? i saw there was an article that talked about his favorites

vCash

Originally Posted by cscsooner View Post
    are you a rivals member? are we still leading? i saw there was an article that talked about his favorites
    Yup and OU is in pretty good shape. He jut talked about taking visits to to ND, USC, Arizona, and OU.

vCash

we might need a montgomery emoticon with a cigar in his mouth at the end of this year...hope that dude helps reel in Starks

vCash

Yup and OU is in pretty good shape. He jut talked about taking visits to to ND, USC, Arizona, and OU.
    My ND coworker seems to think ND has a shot... who knows though with these HS kids...

Nathan Starks

What's this with Alabama becoming a serious threat for him? I saw a thread title on soonerscoop that they are now a real player for him. We really aren't going to miss out on yet another player we should of locked up a LONG time ago are we?

vCash

Merged

He can't take unofficial visits because of money issues.

Bama may after but again like Perine he'll look at their depth chart. They took 4 HS backs last year.

Can we get david white to drive him to Norman. Then both can commit to OU. One as a RB, the other in the new recruiting dept.

Originally Posted by ben.woods1986 View Post
    What's this with Alabama becoming a serious threat for him? I saw a thread title on soonerscoop that they are now a real player for him. We really aren't going to miss out on yet another player we should of locked up a LONG time ago are we?
    There was an ESPN interview posted yesterday with him.
    The only other two schools he mentioned interest in were USC and ND.

vCash

Rivals posted another interview mainly talking about the close relationship he has with Cale and even mentioned the possibility of his mom moving wherever he attends college.

Rivals posted another interview mainly talking about the close relationship he has with Cale and even mentioned the possibility of his mom moving wherever he attends college.
    I fully expect Cale with sign this young man.

I am giddy at the thought of alternating Alex Ross, Keith Ford, and Nate Starks. Sick, just sick.
    The following users like this post: melbitoast

vCash

Well, someone needs to get her a job here...
    The following users like this post: R3D Mamba

From another interview this weekend at a recruiting camp:

"Definitely Oklahoma, I don't think they will ever leave the top. I've been a Sooner fan since I was a little boy. And I'm really close to Coach Gundy.... He cares about me as a person"

An article from that camp called him the best athlete on the west coast this year. He's going to look around at other schools, but every one of his interviews comes back to Oklahoma.
    6 users like mesocyclone's post: andymancan20, boleybuster, Cabbage_town_kid, OU812, oudidntknow84, VRO405

that's a comforting quote if you're an OU fan. Then again I thought DGB was an OU lock.

vCash

Originally Posted by ben.woods1986 View Post
    that's a comforting quote if you're an OU fan. Then again I thought DGB was an OU lock.
    Well, with DGB distance was always an issue becuase of his brother and family situation. I do think Starks will be a sooner on signing day, but in recruiting you should never count your chickens before they hatch.
    The following users like this post: Cabbage_town_kid

Originally Posted by drspencer View Post
    Well, with DGB distance was always an issue becuase of his brother and family situation. I do think Starks will be a sooner on signing day, but in recruiting you should never count your chickens before they hatch.
    Yep. I think Manning taught us all a lesson about the fickleness of recruiting.

OU is in strong position at the moment, but for all we know he could get blown away by Notre Dame or USC.
    The following users like this post: drspencer

vCash

wonder what Houston Sooner thinks? A&M lock?!?
    The following users like this post: Stoops'Visor

vCash

Originally Posted by mesocyclone View Post
    From another interview this weekend at a recruiting camp:

"Definitely Oklahoma, I don't think they will ever leave the top. I've been a Sooner fan since I was a little boy. And I'm really close to Coach Gundy.... He cares about me as a person"

An article from that camp called him the best athlete on the west coast this year. He's going to look around at other schools, but every one of his interviews comes back to Oklahoma.
    ESPN's recruiting evaluation of him his terrible. Says good but not great speed, not a home-run threat, blah, blah. I guess all those highlights of long TD runs where he's running away from people are all fake. I think Houston Sooner did his write up...

vCash

I hope we get this guy. There are a lot of running backs out there but having the Bishop Gorman pipeline open up again is huge.

vCash

Originally Posted by greensooner View Post
    wonder what Houston Sooner thinks? A&M lock?!?
    Who are you talking about numb nuts

It's reported consistently that Starks can't visit because of money, but can't he visit on OU's dime?

vCash

Originally Posted by OnlyOne View Post
    It's reported consistently that Starks can't visit because of money, but can't he visit on OU's dime?
    I believe he can when he takes an official. He probably wants to wait till this fall so he can see a game.

vCash

Originally Posted by Houston Sooner View Post
    Who are you talking about numb nuts
    wasn't trying to be disrespectful oh insightful one, just value your opinion so highly and think the world of you buddy pal friend online compadre

Originally Posted by drspencer View Post
    I believe he can when he takes an official. He probably wants to wait till this fall so he can see a game.
    Yup. OU can't pay for unofficial visits. That's why junior days consist mostly of guys that live closer to OU

vCash

Originally Posted by mavsfan31 View Post
    Yup. OU can't pay for unofficial visits. That's why junior days consist mostly of guys that live closer to OU
    Unless you're in the SEC, in which case the NCAA allows you to pay for everything whether they know about it or not.
    4 users like melbitoast's post: Hotrod33, OU812, Sooner 76, soonerUthenMe

vCash

Anyone hear anything new on Starks?

Crimson, he was just offered by Bama. Apparently, they're a player for him, along with Notre Dame.

vCash

Originally Posted by sovasooner View Post
    Crimson, he was just offered by Bama. Apparently, they're a player for him, along with Notre Dame.
    That makes things interesting.

Running back is one position where I am not nervous when it comes to recruiting, no matter who we are going against. Still, I'll be keeping an eye out on these boards for any developments. Is he still talking OU like we're the favorite?