Django Unchained

Posted 686 day(s) ago by canyonero5099 Views 112 Replies
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    vCash

Django Unchained

Originally Posted by Commodore Okie View Post
    You say that like you are surprised. DiCaprio is an excellent actor.
    The guy can act. Much respect.

vCash

I actually think Leo did the best acting job in this movie of great acting.

Django Unchained

Can't stand QT. I liked Basterds, but that was his only film since Dogs (and maybe Pulp) that I enjoyed. I think he's a hack. Can't stand Foxx either. All that being said, I'm intrigued by this movie but will wait for HBO.

Originally Posted by oucub23 View Post
    Can't stand QT. I liked Basterds, but that was his only film since Dogs (and maybe Pulp) that I enjoyed. I think he's a hack. Can't stand Foxx either. All that being said, I'm intrigued by this movie but will wait for HBO.
    This movie reminded me of Basterds. If you liked that, you should like this.
    The following users like this post: oucub23

Oh I agree. I was just apprehensive about his role as a slave master. I forget that he is getting older and able to handle roles that are intended for middle aged guys. I like most of he stuff he does.

vCash

Django Unchained

Can't wait to see this. I still haven't seen The Hobbit yet, so this is on the back burner

Django Unchained

Does anyone have a spare hood?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The following users like this post: R3D Mamba

SoonerBounce Guest
    vCash
    Leo was best in Growing Pains.
    The following users like this post: Tug Medick

I know killing them softly is getting trashed by people, but it is a better movie than Django. Django is typical QT bullshit. Not bad by any means, but it's bullshit.

vCash

It was decent. Same old QT stuff, and about an hour too long.

I had two brothers sitting next to me and watching the slaves get beaten and eaten by dogs, and the couple-hundred N bombs made it a little uncomfortable, though they did laugh so I guess it was okay.

6 out of 10 IMO.

vCash

Django Unchained

Really good movie!

vCash

I watched this today at the Warren. I though it was really really good. A little over-long as someone else pointed out, and a little too QT for my taste, but it was a pretty good movie. I too sat next to a black couple, and the n-word *insert reference to Louis CK bit here* got both tiresome and a little uncomfortable. I mean, I realize that that's probably how those people spoke back then, but I'm pretty sure QT embellished a little bit in order to get a point across. Especially with the way the board's been lately, this movie just couldn't have come at a better time.

Things you have to remember going into a QT movie..

-lots of violence/blood
    -lots of bad language
    -good times

I couldn't determine if it was satire or serious subject matter. Jonah Hill kind of answered that question for me.

Last edited by soonerintn; July 19th, 2013 at 10:37 PM.

Great movie. A little long. Sam Jackson and Leo D. were excellent. Foxx was great to my surprise. Christoph Waltz was awesome. Very bloody, very intense at times, but I imagine that time period was for a slave.
    The KKK scene was very funny. Made them look like a bunch of jackasses.

Well worth the money to see it in the theatre IMO.

One can wonder if a spaghetti western with a "Good, bad and the ugly" type of theme, does any justice to black people. What was the purpose of this movie? If it was merely to entertain, then mission accomplished, and good job on using the blood and suffering of slaves to make money (yet again).
    Should the KKK be seen in a funny light, as it is hard to hate and take seriously morons. When I saw this movie, the violent images were so burned in my brain that I dreamed violent dreams. That's just how the brain works.

Is it racist to laugh when white people make jokes using the n-word? S. L Jackson did the best acting job. The rest did their typical stuff. Leo was Leo of Inception but with a bad southern accent. Foxx was the usual ****y, handsome, hero Foxx who sticks it to white people. Waltz played the same German character he played in Basterds, but in this case he wasn't a racist (you know the odd, intellectual extremely violent unlikely hero or antihero).
    I am not even getting into the historical inaccuracies of the movie.

Killing them Softly, though a better movie, does not get the accolades of Django because it requires its audience to think. The biggest fault of Django is that the movie is narrated through a white person's point of view, and is ultimately a movie that is directed at white people's psyche. In reality there were no Djangos in the movie, only Stephens.

vCash
    Don't live in Wichita, but I am a Sooner.

Re: Django Unchained

Originally Posted by TenYards View Post
    One can wonder if a spaghetti western with a "Good, bad and the ugly" type of theme, does any justice to black people. What was the purpose of this movie? If it was merely to entertain, then mission accomplished, and good job on using the blood and suffering of slaves to make money (yet again).
    Should the KKK be seen in a funny light, as it is hard to hate and take seriously morons. When I saw this movie, the violent images were so burned in my brain that I dreamed violent dreams. That's just how the brain works.

Is it racist to laugh when white people make jokes using the n-word? S. L Jackson did the best acting job. The rest did their typical stuff. Leo was Leo of Inception but with a bad southern accent. Foxx was the usual ****y, handsome, hero Foxx who sticks it to white people. Waltz played the same German character he played in Basterds, but in this case he wasn't a racist (you know the odd, intellectual extremely violent unlikely hero or antihero).
    I am not even getting into the historical inaccuracies of the movie.

Killing them Softly, though a better movie, does not get the accolades of Django because it requires its audience to think. The biggest fault of Django is that the movie is narrated through a white person's point of view, and is ultimately a movie that is directed at white people's psyche. In reality there were no Djangos in the movie, only Stephens.
    Spike Lee? Is that you?

So, I guess you've never ever seen a movie about white people suffering?

I find it difficult to value your movie recommendation or review given that you sound completely stupid in conveying them both.

vCash

Django Unchained

Saw it & loved it. It was kinda long and extremely violent - I had to cover my eyes (& ears) in a couple of places - but the acting was excellent, it had lots of surprise (to me, at least) people in it, and was very diverse. The KKK scene made me laugh so hard I had tears rolling down my cheeks, the slavery scenes made me actually angry, & my eyes welled up in the scene where the wife was being whipped. My favorite character was the doctor. I'll certainly see it again, but at home here I can ff through a couple of the difficult parts.
    The following users like this post: R3D Mamba

Originally Posted by MikeLucky View Post
    Spike Lee? Is that you?

So, I guess you've never ever seen a movie about white people suffering?

I find it difficult to value your movie recommendation or review given that you sound completely stupid in conveying them both.
    I couldn't care less what you value or don't value. You as a mouth breather have the right to be bamboozled by anything you wish. It's your dollar; use it however you see fit.
    Last edited by TenYards; January 1st, 2013 at 07:06 PM. Reason: Fixed run-on sentence.

vCash

In before the Dome.

It’s also a project infatuated with cruelty and degradation, all presented with a cutesy wink-and-a-nod. It wants to be “The Wild Bunch” but has more in common with “I Spit on Your Grave.” Fortunately, Tarantino lays on just enough of his signature flamboyance to keep it watchable.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2012/12/24...#storylink=cpy

vCash

I think ten yards is is just ripping off other peoples movie reviews and using them as his own.
    The following users like this post: soonerbornsoonerbret

vCash

Want to see. . .after the drought of the last year, there are so many good films to watch now. . .looks like wil continue through at least this summer.

Saw it the other night. Really enjoyed it. Great performances. Classic Tarantino.

What was the purpose of this movie? If it was merely to entertain, then mission accomplished
    Yes. It's a ****ing movie. Of course that was its purpose.
    3 users like Jbaker's post: McRib, Sieve, SMC

Django Unchained

I couldn't care less what you value or don't value. You as a mouth breather have the right to be bamboozled by anything you wish. It's your dollar; use it however you see fit.
    Is MikeLucky a mouth-breather?

Savages is cool,not too shabby,lots of senseless violence and slaughtering of pot smokers.

vCash

Originally Posted by PokeJ View Post
    Is MikeLucky a mouth-breather?

Only when he is all stopped up and has a cold . . .
    The following users like this post: MikeLucky

vCash

Django Unchained

Oh yeah. I forgot to mention that part of it was filmed in/around Jackson Hole. Very cool to see places I know & love.

vCash
    Don't live in Wichita, but I am a Sooner.

If I'm a mouth-breather then you are a caveman. Congrats on that...

Oh, and you quite obviously DO care what I value or you wouldn't have responded. Try again scooter.

vCash

Saw it tonight....a little delusional like most QT films. No blacks in the theatre and wondered if I would laugh at parts if they were next to me. Overly violent which is expected. Waltz rocked as usual. The way it was shot and score was very, very good. N word I would guess would be around 113 times or so. Problem was a person never picked up a gun before is the best ever, whatever. Really makes you think about how blacks lives in that ****ed up time...disgusting.
    The following users like this post: McRib

vCash

Originally Posted by barlowd View Post
    Saw it tonight....a little delusional like most QT films. No blacks in the theatre and wondered if I would laugh at parts if they were next to me. Overly violent which is expected. Waltz rocked as usual. The way it was shot and score was very, very good. N word I would guess would be around 113 times or so. Problem was a person never picked up a gun before is the best ever, whatever. Really makes you think about how blacks lives in that ****ed up time...disgusting.
    Pretty much how I feel. I still prefer Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, Inglourious Basterds, and Kill Bill. But the performances were great all around.

vCash

I thought it was alright i guess. I think i gave it to much hype for it to really satisfy me

Saw it yesterday. It was perfect.
    The following users like this post: McRib

Originally Posted by barlowd View Post
    Really no black people in the theater? Where do you live? When I saw it, the theater was about 50-60% black.

Last edited by soonerintn; July 19th, 2013 at 10:01 PM.

vCash

Originally Posted by soonerintn View Post
    Finally broke down and saw it last night. Sick of football and needed a mind break. Nothing else on.

Typical QT dialogue driven movie with a lot of violence. Worst actor was QT. He is from Knoxville and he couldn't even sound southern.

Waltz, DiCaprio and Jackson were great. Foxx was OK.

I thought it was one of QT's better efforts. Not sure why Spike would be mad other than the constant N reference. It brought about some awareness to slavery that we haven't seen in what seems like quite a while. And it had a black hero that "climbed the mountain" against odds.

Spoiler:
    Didn't make Leo bad enough. Sure he was a despicable slave owner, but I kept expecting Leo or Sam Jackson to do something to Broomhilde that would make them really an over the top character.
    Pretty sure QT was attempting an Australian accent.
    4 users like Docsooner's post: quatrogenerian, sooner59, Soonerpsycho, thurman murman

vCash

Far from his best effort, but still a REALLY good movie from the best in the business(QT).

vCash

Good, definitely not ****s, Foxx is a little over the top at times, still a solid movie.

vCash

E. It's spelled with an e. No excuses.

Django Unchained

Originally Posted by quatrogenerian View Post
    Far from his best effort, but still a REALLY good movie from the best in the business(QT).
    Really? You're saying QT is the best director in Hollywood?

vCash

vCash

"A less violent passion of the christ" hahahaha

vCash

Originally Posted by oucub23 View Post
    Really? You're saying QT is the best director in Hollywood?
    Who's better? Basterds and Django are two marvelous movies from a guy that has churned out a buncha winners. Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown, reservoir dogs, Kill Bill, Deathproof....etc. The man is a great screen writer and producer. Sin City, True Romance, Dusk til Dawn. If he ain't the best? He's damn close to the top.

Fvckin it live via tapatalk dos

vCash

I loved it. I sat next to a young white couple, and could tell they were a little afraid to laugh at first. After they saw us laughing, they loosened up....

How anyone could be offended by the movie is beyond me. Not one scene offended me, because it never made light of slavery, IMO. As said it even had some Awareness Situations for those ignorant to slavery. I would recommend it to anyone except a black militant looking to get angry......

vCash

Originally Posted by jmizzy4ou View Post
    I loved it. I sat next to a young white couple, and could tell they were a little afraid to laugh at first. After they saw us laughing, they loosened up....

How anyone could be offended by the movie is beyond me. Not one scene offended me, because it never made light of slavery, IMO. As said it even had some Awareness Situations for those ignorant to slavery. I would recommend it to anyone except a black militant looking to get angry......
    Mizz I'm not gonna lie, I was uncomfortable. Several African-American couples were around us, and the younger dudes I mentioned (25ish). I was unsure of what to find funny or not. I dont use the word myself, and the only real times I've heard it used in a public setting, someone on either end go their ass kicked. It's like this... I thought the movie was pretty good and pretty funny, I just didnt want my laughter to seem that it was at the expense of that word.

I dont know man, like I said, just uncomfortable... and I'm not usually overly-sensitive about shit like that.
    The following users like this post: jmizzy4ou

vCash

Originally Posted by Clark W. Griswold View Post
    Mizz I'm not gonna lie, I was uncomfortable. Several African-American couples were around us, and the younger dudes I mentioned (25ish). I was unsure of what to find funny or not. I dont use the word myself, and the only real times I've heard it used in a public setting, someone on either end go their ass kicked. It's like this... I thought the movie was pretty good and pretty funny, I just didnt want my laughter to seem that it was at the expense of that word.

I dont know man, like I said, just uncomfortable... and I'm not usually overly-sensitive about shit like that.

I can understand that. Society has conditioned us so much about what we can and can't like/dislike, we all tend to be overly sensitive, afraid of how we will be perceived by others.

I'm guilty of it at times, as most everyone is. One thing I have learned about racial issues is IF everyone would take off their pre-conceived beliefs, and stop listening to sensationalized reporting, and get to know other cultures for themselves, a lot of the racial tensions would go away, IMO. Ignorance fuels hatred, and hatred fuels racial prejudice.

I can totally see how and why you would feel that way, at the movie.....

vCash

I don't know what would have been awkward to laugh at. If it was funny? It was funny, period. At the credits when the black dudes in the cart said "who was that n!gg@?". I cracked up as should anyone. It was funny on a couple of levels.

I'm laughing right now at this discussion. Cause so many apparently saw this film as a comedy I guess. Lol I thought it was a spaghetti western retelling.

Fvckin it live via tapatalk dos
    The following users like this post: jmizzy4ou

Originally Posted by jmizzy4ou View Post
    I would recommend it to anyone except a black militant looking to get angry......
    As if someone who could watch this movie and find it problematic isn't having a valid reaction. It may have had some awareness situations. But it also had a situation which was completely unrealistic. An armed black man sitting at the table of a plantation owner never happened, and would not ever happen. And it's not OK for QT to go and make whatever he wants to out of a setting just because the outcome conforms to the hopes buried in the internalized oppression of a minoritized group. Why didn't they stand up? Anyway, it's bullshit. And it's just another example of revision for the sake of popular angst.

Also... You forgot another group of people who don't like this film. Anyone male or female looking for a female character with a single shred of personal agency beyond being a sexual object. Because there wasn't one.

vCash

Originally Posted by Aldebaran View Post
    As if someone who could watch this movie and find it problematic isn't having a valid reaction. It may have had some awareness situations. But it also had a situation which was completely unrealistic. An armed black man sitting at the table of a plantation owner never happened, and would not ever happen. And it's not OK for QT to go and make whatever he wants to out of a setting just because the outcome conforms to the hopes buried in the internalized oppression of a minoritized group. Why didn't they stand up? Anyway, it's bullshit. And it's just another example of revision for the sake of popular angst.

Also... You forgot another group of people who don't like this film. Anyone male or female looking for a female character with a single shred of personal agency beyond being a sexual object. Because there wasn't one.

First of all it's a movie which did nothing to make someone think they would receive a sociological education watching it. It's Tarantino & most people know what his movies are about....... Did you see the trailers??? Did you go for a social enlightenment or to be entertained by a movie????

You see, I have never bought into the online activist who fight for the causes of everyone on a message board. Being a black man I can better impact my community by getting on the ground level and mentoring young black boys & girls, volunteering my time, and pouring myself out as an example of a black man who chose to correct personal mistakes and strive to live as an example to my young people of color.

My daughter is almost 15 yrs. old now, and she knows plenty about the history of black people pre/post coming to America. She also knows the importance of education, obeying the law, and uplifting all people who are oppressed, disadvantaged, and mistreated.

I stand by my statement. I went to the movie to be entertained. If I had wanted an education on slavery, or any other social issues, I would have gone to the Revolutionary Bookstore in D.C., or an academic website like the Howard University Black Education Online website. I don't need Tarantino to educate me or my family, I got that covered, so I won't be offended by something obviously meant to be entertaining.

It's high time IMO, the black community stop using everything as a reason to get upset, and start holding the community and each other accountable for our actions. Of course we can all see the problems and biases which still exist, but let not that become your excuse, but rather your motivation..... If I can quote a real slave NOT featured in QT's work of fiction entertainment.
    3 users like jmizzy4ou's post: Gonzo, thurman murman, Turk