The "last movie seen" thread

Posted 1975 day(s) ago by Snickerfritz250671 Views 3388 Replies
Results 3,351 to 3,389 of 3389
Page 68 of 68 18 58 66 67 68

Originally Posted by Muscletang View Post
    Blade Runner 2049

This movie is what the live-action Ghost in the Shell should have been.

I'll start out by saying the threesome scene was very well done with a uniquely different take. If you want to know more then go see the movie to find out what I mean.

Anyway, I'll admit I don't like the first one but I don't hate it. I always thought the visuals, cinematography, and film noir approach were amazing. I love that part of it. I always found the pacing off, storyline okay, but the ending seemed to bring it all together.

This film did the opposite for me in a good way.

I went to go see it because this one felt like it had the same type of cinematography, visuals, and film noir look to it but slightly updated. I wasn't disappointed at all. They didn't try to recreate the scenes from the first but tried to keep them close to the same look visually. The opening of the first is in LA with the fire shooting up. This one starts on a farm but you feel like it's the same movie and universe.

As I said this film feels like an anime at times. The scenes are drawn out to let you take in the whole scene and world you're in. Some of them drag slightly but I thought this one, while still long, did a better job than the first of moving the film along. I credit that to the story.

I won't give any spoilers or hints away so it might be hard to try to explain this. I always felt that the first one had an okay story that didn't really come together until the very end. We all know the "I've seen things you wouldn't believe" speech. I think that ended the film very nicely. This film was the opposite. They changed the story slightly but kind of dealt with the same themes and issues of humanity and mortality. I just feel it was better, was a little more interesting, and helped move the film along more. That being said I think the first one ended better and hit harder with those themes. This one didn't do that. There was no "I've seen" type of moment. They tried to put in a subplot in the third act to try to make one but it just didn't work, felt forced, and out of place. I get what they were trying to do but could have executed it much more.

Is Deckard a replicant? If he is the story works. If he isn't it works too. They don't tell you so you're free to make your own theory.

Ryan Gosling did an outstanding job in his role as did most of the other people. Jared Leto seemed a little off for what his character was. I don't see a CEO being this evil Steve Jobs cross with Russell Brand cyberpunk type of character but that's just me.

There are things in there for fans of the original like the Atari advertisement.

Technically all films are art but I do feel, like the first one, this is a true work of art as well and the filmmakers tried their best to keep the spirit of the original while making a new movie.

Overall I feel if you're a fan of the first you'll enjoy this one. If all else I don't think you'll hate it but might not think it lives up to the first if you're a massive fan.

..-. .- -.-. - ... --- ...- . .-. ..-. . . .-.. .. -. --. ...
    Love reading your reviews. Keep it up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The following users like this post: Muscletang

Hell or High Water. Good flick

4 users like wendyaveli's post: blackfrancois, northspeter, OUMarty, PokeJ

so a movie coming out later this month - Thank You For Your Service

This movie is about my son's unit when they were in Iraq and after they all came home. It's based on David Finkel's book by the same name, a sequel to his book "The Good Soldiers." Finkel, a WaPo writer was embedded with the 2/16th Infantry at Fort Riley from the units organization thru it's deployment to Baghdad during the surge. If you want an honest and accurate look at what our soldiers dealt with during and after the war....this is a must see. (sorry for the plug - i have a personal connection to this one)
    3 users like Sooner JK's post: northspeter, PokeJ, Sugasean

Originally Posted by Sooner JK View Post
    so a movie coming out later this month - Thank You For Your Service

This movie is about my son's unit when they were in Iraq and after they all came home. It's based on David Finkel's book by the same name, a sequel to his book "The Good Soldiers." Finkel, a WaPo writer was embedded with the 2/16th Infantry at Fort Riley from the units organization thru it's deployment to Baghdad during the surge. If you want an honest and accurate look at what our soldiers dealt with during and after the war....this is a must see. (sorry for the plug - i have a personal connection to this one)

How's does your son feel about watching the movie? Would it be painful for him to relive? I work with an Iraq Vet and he really has a hard time talking about it. He won't go see war movies. Can't even be around fireworks on 4th of July.

It does peak my interest. I am going to go see it this weekend.

Originally Posted by PokeJ View Post
    How's does your son feel about watching the movie? Would it be painful for him to relive? I work with an Iraq Vet and he really has a hard time talking about it. He won't go see war movies. Can't even be around fireworks on 4th of July.

It does peak my interest. I am going to go see it this weekend.
    Probably mixed emotions. When he was deployed, he’d email me once or twice a week when he was back at the FOB - and would tell me about “events”, but downplayed them. When i read the book - it was like reliving all of those emails again - only it was quite a bit more disturbing than he made it sound.....i know full well the first book The Good Soldiers is VERY accurate.....it’s a tough read honestly, knowing my kid lived thru 15 months of that

I’m not sure how he feels about this movie...this book was a much tougher read because it covered all the stuff back home, the PTSD, the lost legs, etc etc. i know he’ll go see it - assume he’ll walk out an emotional wreck
    2 users like Sooner JK's post: PokeJ, Sugasean

Blade Runner 2049. The wife and I both really liked it. It didn’t feel long at all to us and had good pacing throughout. The visuals and sound are amazing and for those reasons I’d highly recommend seeing it on the big screen. Gosling did a great job and seeing Harrison Ford mix it up with him was just cool as shit. It’s sad a movie this well made is going to struggle at the box office when shit stacks like Transformers, Pirates, and Furious franchises still keep going on to eternity. Apologies to anyone who is a fan of those, that’s just my humble opinion.
    3 users like busters444's post: Bear_Jew, OUMarty, Sugasean

Wind River, 53%, visually gorgeous, I just don’t typically go in for **** flicks is all, with exceptions obviously. Should rank highly amongst the romanticized-need-to-dominate-the-bad-guy demographic.

Originally Posted by Snickerfritz View Post
    Wind River, 53%, visually gorgeous, I just don’t typically go in for **** flicks is all, with exceptions obviously. Should rank highly amongst the romanticized-need-to-dominate-the-bad-guy demographic.
    I thought it was good, Renner did a pretty good job. But some of the stuff just didn't make sense to me:

Spoiler:
    They acted like Renner's character was just some civilian who had no enforcement authority. I'd imagine that wouldn't be the case since he was a park ranger or marshall or something. So the whole deal with him not having the legal authority to do things was kinda stupid.

They made it seem like it was going to be one of those movies where they go through step by step and find clues and eventually find the bad guy(s)....then it kind of just went from 0 to 100. It took them literally one clue to figure out where to go.

Then, when they got out to the rig, everyone pulled guns on each other right away. Even after the FBI chick calmed them down, they'd have just disarmed and arrested them all. There is no way the cops would just be like "everything is good now that everyone has holstered, now lets go about our business."

Renner was really good, and they did a good job developing some of the characters. But overall the plot of the movie was pretty bad.

Just watched Deepwater Horizon.

Shitty situation those folks were in.

Happy Death Day!

It was pretty fun, not much scare to it, several laughs... It's right in sort of an early teen wheelhouse.. Doesn't take itself seriously, which made it more fun... It is very much a murderous Groundhog Day remake...

Sent from my LG-K428 using Tapatalk

Originally Posted by northspeter View Post
    Happy Death Day!

It was pretty fun, not much scare to it, several laughs... It's right in sort of an early teen wheelhouse.. Doesn't take itself seriously, which made it more fun... It is very much a murderous Groundhog Day remake...

I wonder how Jamie Lee Curtis feels on days like these?
    The following users like this post: northspeter

Originally Posted by Snickerfritz View Post
    Originally Posted by ResidentEvil View Post
    I thought it was good, Renner did a pretty good job. But some of the stuff just didn't make sense to me:

Spoiler:
    They acted like Renner's character was just some civilian who had no enforcement authority. I'd imagine that wouldn't be the case since he was a park ranger or marshall or something. So the whole deal with him not having the legal authority to do things was kinda stupid.

They made it seem like it was going to be one of those movies where they go through step by step and find clues and eventually find the bad guy(s)....then it kind of just went from 0 to 100. It took them literally one clue to figure out where to go.

Then, when they got out to the rig, everyone pulled guns on each other right away. Even after the FBI chick calmed them down, they'd have just disarmed and arrested them all. There is no way the cops would just be like "everything is good now that everyone has holstered, now lets go about our business."

Renner was really good, and they did a good job developing some of the characters. But overall the plot of the movie was pretty bad.

i agree completely with both comments - visually stunning movie - but the story line had some real "credibility" problems.......i also didnt understand the deal with the quote at the end of the movie about native american women going missing and not being reported.....the movie was about a woman ****d and "murdered" - she didnt exactly go "missing"

Watched "Victoria and Abdul.." Judi Dench is subtle and spectacular as the failing-health Queen Victoria, who engages in a late-life friendship with Abdul, an Indian servant-class worker. Strangely paced, almost frenetic at first, then played for stereotypical responses to stereotypical biases of the era. Sometimes touching, sometimes bland, the result leaving you wanting to find out how much of the story is real and how much is Hollywood creative embellishment.

Finally watched La La Land. Pretty enjoyable, however as my wife pointed out, they should have cast nobodies into those roles instead of actors who have not had many roadblocks in their path to success.

Gerald's Game on Netflix... First off, Carla Gugino is hot as hell... A weekend getaway to reignite her marriage, goes terribly wrong.. & it has one of the more painful scenes I've ever seen, I was yelling at the TV, it was awful.. Definitely worth a watch..

Geostorm... You've seen it already, when it was called Armageddon or The Day After Tomorrow or San Andreas... The only thing missing is an Aerosmith or Nickleback rock ballad.. Don't waste your time or money, see it on FX or Spike in a few months...

2 users like northspeter's post: Bear_Jew, land burglar73507

TCM Halloween ads

Only the Brave...

Holy balls, that was a tough watch.. I give it, 5 stars...

Happy Death Day was good.
    I'm glad to see that it is doing well at the box office.
    The following users like this post: northspeter

Originally Posted by NWOSURanger View Post
    Happy Death Day was good.
    I'm glad to see that it is doing well at the box office.
    I was surprised, it helps that it doesn't take itself that seriously.. Made it a fun movie to watch..

Only the Brave.

Really good stuff. This reminded me a bit of last year's Deepwater Horizon, another film about a recent real life tragedy that focuses more on the people involved than on the tragedy itself, but I think this movie is slightly better in all areas. The film works at its best when it shows camaraderie among these dudes as they put their lives on the line for a living. Excellent performances too, with Josh Brolin leading a great ensemble that also includes Jeff Bridges, Jennifer Connelly (who gets more to do than most "wife" parts in films like this do), and Taylor Kitsch, while Miles Teller also displays glimmers of the promise that he showed when he was on the rise a few years back. It's routine for sure, but there's no denying it's powerful at times. A-

Originally Posted by WFSooner View Post
    Only the Brave.

Really good stuff. This reminded me a bit of last year's Deepwater Horizon, another film about a recent real life tragedy that focuses more on the people involved than on the tragedy itself, but I think this movie is slightly better in all areas. The film works at its best when it shows camaraderie among these dudes as they put their lives on the line for a living. Excellent performances too, with Josh Brolin leading a great ensemble that also includes Jeff Bridges, Jennifer Connelly (who gets more to do than most "wife" parts in films like this do), and Taylor Kitsch, while Miles Teller also displays glimmers of the promise that he showed when he was on the rise a few years back. It's routine for sure, but there's no denying it's powerful at times. A-
    My wife was in tears when teller walked into the gymnasium... That woulda been tough...

The Edge of Seventeen.

Excellent.

[IMG][/IMG]

Thor Ragnarok: Endlessly entertaining from start to finish. Incredibly funny with a very 80’s style of direction/color palette. I could not be more pleased with how this movie turned. Definition of an 80’s buddy cops movie with a splash of Flash Gordon. Cate Blanchett was a very good villain, if a bit underused. Everyone was really good in this movie Hemsworth, Hiddleston, and even Jeff Goldblum. Valkyrie was also a great addition. Hope we get to see more of her. Musical score was also very good. Two post credits scenes! I believe most marvel film fans will be pleased with this movie.

9.0/10.0
    3 users like Strangers's post: cosmoxl, Jaiddin, Spade1000

Only real negative is I missed some jokes bc I was laughing so hard.
    The following users like this post: Spade1000

life (2017)

ok if you like the space alien type thing. the theme did hang with me a while after finishing it, which is the sign of a thoughtful film. the introspection of the misanthropist astronaut (jake gyllenhaal) was the most emotional part, and could have been elaborated.
    6.4/10.

Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    life (2017)

ok if you like the space alien type thing. the theme did hang with me a while after finishing it, which is the sign of a thoughtful film. the introspection of the misanthropist astronaut (jake gyllenhaal) was the most emotional part, and could have been elaborated.
    6.4/10.
    What would be required to get a 6.5? Or a 6.6?
    The following users like this post: Bear_Jew

Originally Posted by oucub23 View Post
    on the imdb scale, a 6/10 is worth seeing (usually), especially if the acting is great or if the cast is one i want to spend two hours with. a 7 is like required viewing. an 8 is one of the best ever made.

i mentioned in my post above what i wanted more of. i'm not much for action for its own sake. it can be a bore. i will watch action if there's more there that stays with me, whether it's character development, thoughtful script, beautiful filmmaking, unique storyline, wit, philosophical weight, etc.
    The following users like this post: SportyJames

Originally Posted by oucub23 View Post
    .1 or .2 - would get you there.
    6 users like SportyJames's post: Bear_Jew, blackfrancois, Maximus, northspeter, oucub23, Strangers

the terry kath experience 2016

i caught this on axstv (cable). i had heard the old rumor that jimi said terry was "the best guitarist" he had seen, and this doc backs it up. it follows terry's daughter as she attempts to find out more about her late father and track down his favorite telecaster.

i give it a 6/10 for an overall film, but it's definitely worth watching for music and classic rock fans. terry wrote some beautiful songs and had an incredibly soulful voice.

I finally watched The Hurt Locker and No Country for Old Men. I liked The Hurt Locker. No Country for Old Men ending ruined it for me.
    The following users like this post: Maximus

No Country for Old Men ending ruined it for me.
    "you don't know what you're talking about, do you?"

I don't know who makes better movies than the coen brothers.
    2 users like blackfrancois's post: northspeter, ThievingMagpie

Eh, they've had a few misses, but A Serious Man is a favorite.

Just finished Lawless. Based on actual events - prohibition era story of Virginia bootleggers - the Bondurants.

Tom Hardy, Shia LaBeouf, Jessica Chastain, Guy Pearce, Gary Oldman, and Jason Clarke.

Some fairly graphic scenes of violence and brief nudity (not simultaneously).

Big Tom Hardy fan so easy to recommend - poor mans Daniel Day Lewis.

"you don't know what you're talking about, do you?"

I generally like the Coen bros. I love their True Grit. But, I don't care for movies that just leave me hanging.
    2 users like cosmoxl's post: blackfrancois, Maximus

If you never saw The Reader, it's there to Netflix. Highly recommend.
    The following users like this post: waynepayne

The Voices- Ryan Reynolds. Holy ****ed Up Batman.

Saw Murder on the Orient Express. Very good movie, especially now. At times it felt like a straight 40's murder mystery. Other times it deconstructed that whole genre and put a beautiful post modern twist on it. I would like to watch again, but with director commentary on.