Results 3,251 to 3,292 of 3292
Page 66 of 66 16 56 64 65 66

Originally Posted by cosmoxl View Post
    Split, with McAvoy?
    Yep!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Originally Posted by cosmoxl View Post
    Split, with McAvoy?
    I hope you've already seen it now that you know all that.

Originally Posted by Muscletang View Post
    Dunkirk

I didn't really know what to expect with this one. If you go in thinking you'll see Saving Private Ryan: Dunkirk Edition then you'll be disappointed. They're two different stories told in two different ways.

There were things done in this movie that I normally don't like but I felt worked with this one.

Films like Saving Private Ryan, Full Metal Jakcet, Platoon, etc. follow men through war. We get to know them and witness their experiences in battle. Dunkirk does the opposite. We get to know the battle, or in this case more the event, as a whole and witness the men that were in it as a part of the whole.

There really isn't a story. We don't know the characters. We don't know their names. They're just a few of many men experiencing this event of evacuating the British forces off the beaches of Dunkirk.

I thought the cinematography was wonderful. I think Saving Private Ryan might have been an inspiration there in terms of the color and mood at times.

The music was fantastic. It helped make the movie feel like it was one giant scene building to a climax as it builds and builds as event after event happens. It certainly keeps you engaged into the film.

I enjoyed the minimal dialogue. I really enjoyed it. The actors weren't the center pieces. They were more parts to a set or scene and you don't focus on them but take it all in.

The editing I enjoyed overall but I do feel it was maybe a little choppy towards the beginning. I liked the three stories taking place over different times but merging together. Overall I think it was done well but certain areas I feel could have been done better. You could make the argument that the confused cuts and jumps in scenes add to the confusion and fog of war. I could maybe see that but in this case not as much.

One thing I loved is one thing I hated as well. I thought the dogfight scenes with the Spitfires were some of the best caught on film. That's what I hated. I know I'm watching a movie about Dunkirk but it was so good I wanted more of it in the film. It made me wish it was a Battle of Britain movie instead.

I highly recommend this movie. It's a different kind of war movie told in a different way from a different perspective.

..-. ..- -.-. -.- -.-- --- ..- .-. ..-. . . .-.. .. -. --. ... -.-- --- ..- --. --- -.. -.. .- -- -. ... - .- - .. ... -
    That's all you got from it?
    The following users like this post: northspeter

Originally Posted by Rufus T Firefly View Post
    I hope you've already seen it now that you know all that.
    I haven't seen it. Not sure what you meant by this but if you search IMDB there are 3 films called split just from 2016. So, I had to ask.

Two more flicks on return flight.

Split, not too bad for ShyamalamaDingDong. I mean, not in the least bit believable, of course, but it kept me engaged throughout, so there's that.

Lion, byfarandaway the best film I watched on the plane. Even though I knew the story ahead of time, it still suckerpunched me in the feels. Great stuff.

watched "zero dark 30" and "body of lies" recently.....
    i thought body of lies was way more entertaining......very good movie

Originally Posted by Sugasean View Post
    Watched King Arthur- legend of the sword last night.
    Can definitely tell it's a Guy Ritchie film after a bit. The first scene is pretty intense with Eric Bana being Arthur's dad and the one wielding the legendary sword.

Seems pretty long at over 2 hrs but has a lot of action in between banter. Overall was better than expected, but prob not one I'd watch on multiple occasions.
    6.5-7/10

I thought it was terrible. Also the forced diversity for the sake of diversity was laughable.

Dunkirk

I didn't really know what to expect with this one. If you go in thinking you'll see Saving Private Ryan: Dunkirk Edition then you'll be disappointed. They're two different stories told in two different ways.

There were things done in this movie that I normally don't like but I felt worked with this one.

Films like Saving Private Ryan, Full Metal Jakcet, Platoon, etc. follow men through war. We get to know them and witness their experiences in battle. Dunkirk does the opposite. We get to know the battle, or in this case more the event, as a whole and witness the men that were in it as a part of the whole.

There really isn't a story. We don't know the characters. We don't know their names. They're just a few of many men experiencing this event of evacuating the British forces off the beaches of Dunkirk.

I thought the cinematography was wonderful. I think Saving Private Ryan might have been an inspiration there in terms of the color and mood at times.

The music was fantastic. It helped make the movie feel like it was one giant scene building to a climax as it builds and builds as event after event happens. It certainly keeps you engaged into the film.

I enjoyed the minimal dialogue. I really enjoyed it. The actors weren't the center pieces. They were more parts to a set or scene and you don't focus on them but take it all in.

The editing I enjoyed overall but I do feel it was maybe a little choppy towards the beginning. I liked the three stories taking place over different times but merging together. Overall I think it was done well but certain areas I feel could have been done better. You could make the argument that the confused cuts and jumps in scenes add to the confusion and fog of war. I could maybe see that but in this case not as much.

One thing I loved is one thing I hated as well. I thought the dogfight scenes with the Spitfires were some of the best caught on film. That's what I hated. I know I'm watching a movie about Dunkirk but it was so good I wanted more of it in the film. It made me wish it was a Battle of Britain movie instead.

I highly recommend this movie. It's a different kind of war movie told in a different way from a different perspective.

..-. ..- -.-. -.- -.-- --- ..- .-. ..-. . . .-.. .. -. --. ... -.-- --- ..- --. --- -.. -.. .- -- -. ... - .- - .. ... -
    Outstanding movie and your review was outstanding as well.

Originally Posted by Tao Chemical View Post
    Outstanding movie and your review was outstanding as well.
    I thought it did a very good job of providing me a high level understanding of what Dunkirk was about, however, beyond that it wasn't much of a movie in terms of what we typically see. Great cinematography.

Dunkirk

The music was fantastic. It helped make the movie feel like it was one giant scene building to a climax as it builds and builds as event after event happens. It certainly keeps you engaged into the film

The score was synced to my heart rate ...Hans Zimmer and Nolan with a two hour, unforgiving, unrelenting psa for Xanax. I didn't go to a war movie...I somehow volunteered to participate, as a way too ****ing close witness at the battle of Dunkirk.
    3 users like XingTheRubicon's post: Muscletang, northspeter, SiggyPoke

Originally Posted by XingTheRubicon View Post
    The score was synced to my heart rate ...Hans Zimmer and Nolan with a two hour, unforgiving, unrelenting psa for Xanax. I didn't go to a war movie...I somehow volunteered to participate, as a way too ****ing close witness at the battle of Dunkirk.
    What you just said is my biggest critique of Nolan. I've rewatched (or tried) a few of his movies lately and the constant music just droning on and on and on drives me crazy. It reminds of going to a NBA game today(music wise). No one pauses and breathes. There's no quiet or silense or dynamic. I suppose it is how movie making and society has evolved but I can do without the constant sensory overload.

Originally Posted by Rufus T Firefly View Post
    What you just said is my biggest critique of Nolan. I've rewatched (or tried) a few of his movies lately and the constant music just droning on and on and on drives me crazy. It reminds of going to a NBA game today(music wise). No one pauses and breathes. There's no quiet or silense or dynamic. I suppose it is how movie making and society has evolved but I can do without the constant sensory overload.
    That's a good point...it depends on the person. I was knee deep in it, but my wife did not care for the 2 hour knee on the throat
    2 users like XingTheRubicon's post: northspeter, Tao Chemical

Originally Posted by XingTheRubicon View Post
    I was so nervous the whole time... Felt like a 2hr anxiety attack...

Sent from my LG-K428 using Tapatalk
    The following users like this post: XingTheRubicon

Watched alien Covenant and was highly disappointed and even more confused.
    3/10

Originally Posted by Tao Chemical View Post
    I thought it was terrible. Also the forced diversity for the sake of diversity was laughable.
    I went in with very low expectations. Could have had something to do with it being better than expected.

Two I watched this weekend:

The Automatic Hate. Didn't see it coming ... what the deep dark secret was. Quirkly indie. Thumbs up!

Butter with Jennifer Garner and Olivia Wilde. ****ing Awesome!!!! Laughed my ass off!

Hate Story 2. Revenge is sweet!!!!! May need to fast forward through some of it. Most of it. Revenge is awesome!!!!

Spider-man Homecoming.
    4/10
    I'm officially burnt-out on super hero movies. The actor seemed to get Peter Parker but was too whiny. Also none of this was accurate from the comic books, either the main Marvel or the Ultimates. Peter made his costume, it wasn't teched up, he made his web shooters, he didn't have a "guy in the chair ", Pete didn't date the Vulture's daughter, MJ isn't black, Flash Thompson is brown, Ganke should have been called that even if he's Miles Morales friend, Ned Leeds was white and not a major character until he becomes the Hobgoblin, (lot of PC brown-washing in this), Aunt May was not young and attractive not even in Ultimate were she was much younger and more active (not elderly). If you don't want to do a Spider-man movie why call it "Spider-man"?

Only thing I liked was Michael Keaton's portrayal of the Vulture.
    3 users like Redhawk's post: cosmoxl, Tao Chemical, ThievingMagpie

I saw Dunkirk Saturday night. I wanted to like it more than I did. Cinematography and the attention to detail was incredible . having very little dialogue was certainly interesting but it just didnt grab me emotionally at all. i really didnt care about any of the characters in the movie. i generally like Christopher Nolan and while I appreciated the movie, I didnt love it.

I saw Baby Driver a couple weeks ago and that was maybe the most entertaining action movie I have seen in years.

The "last movie seen" thread

Originally Posted by sooner518 View Post
    I saw Dunkirk Saturday night. I wanted to like it more than I did. Cinematography and the attention to detail was incredible . having very little dialogue was certainly interesting but it just didnt grab me emotionally at all. i really didnt care about any of the characters in the movie. i generally like Christopher Nolan and while I appreciated the movie, I didnt love it.

I saw Baby Driver a couple weeks ago and that was maybe the most entertaining action movie I have seen in years.
    You understand that the main character in Dunkirk is the British people?
    The following users like this post: Bear_Jew

Tank 432 on Netflix. Don't do it. New worst movie ever and I figured it would be.

Originally Posted by oucub23 View Post
    You understand that the main character in Dunkirk is the British people?
    ohhhhh is that why it was so hard to understand them?!
    2 users like sooner518's post: Muscletang, oucub23

Originally Posted by sooner518 View Post
    ohhhhh is that why it was so hard to understand them?!
    Those damn accents.

Watched the Accountant last night. Thought it was fantastic.
    3 users like oucub23's post: northspeter, ouwasp, PokeJ

Originally Posted by zcaa0g View Post
    Tank 432 on Netflix. Don't do it. New worst movie ever and I figured it would be.
    How often do you watch movies you suspect will be new worst movie ever?
    The following users like this post: Rufus T Firefly

Trash Fire. Over-the-****ing-top dark comedy.

Those damn accents.
    I wish they would just learn proper English
    The following users like this post: oucub23

Originally Posted by nocalsooner View Post
    How often do you watch movies you suspect will be new worst movie ever?

More often than I would like to admit!

Dam Sharks! Would recommend.

Finally saw Wonder Woman, it was the tits! Umm I mean.. It was good. So far the most enjoyable DC movie since the Keaton Batman. It also helps that Gal Gadot is stunning to look at.
    2 users like LASooner's post: cfin5256, PokeJ

Originally Posted by LASooner View Post
    Finally saw Wonder Woman, it was the tits! Umm I mean.. It was good. So far the most enjoyable DC movie since the Keaton Batman. It also helps that Gal Gadot is stunning to look at.
    You didn't like the Nolan Batman movies?
    The following users like this post: Bear_Jew

You didn't like the Nolan Batman movies?
    Pacing on those was reallly sloooooow. Were they good? Sure. Were they enjoyable? Meh. Longer than they needed to be. And they certainly weren't fun.There's a reason Marvel is eating their lunch. Let's start with the running times and go from there.

This new Planet of the Apes Trilogy is the best since the Lord of the Rings IMO. Each one just got better and better. War for the Planet of the Apes had some the best CGI I've seen. They got the facial animations down to a tee. Such a sad movie though but told so great throughout each film.
    2 users like SoopaSooner's post: northspeter, Redhawk

Originally Posted by LASooner View Post
    Pacing on those was reallly sloooooow. Were they good? Sure. Were they enjoyable? Meh. Longer than they needed to be. And they certainly weren't fun.There's a reason Marvel is eating their lunch. Let's start with the running times and go from there.
    D.C. is definitely a more serious universe.

Watched Passengers last night. Enjoyed it, but completely predictable and silly at times. Stranded on a ship for two years, and finally find a way into engineering with mere minutes before the ship explodes? Jump off the ship, aim trajectory perfectly off a spinning spacecraft towards a man floating through space, only to come up 1 inch short in reaching him? Absurd.
    The following users like this post: Redhawk

he who gets slapped (1924) with lon chaney and norma shearer.

watched with the score off and listening to son volt, pixies and built to spill. cool, old silent film.
    The following users like this post: Redhawk

Detroit- Real intense movie directed by the same woman who did zero dark thirty. Felt the title Detroit was a bit misleading in the title. Had some weird cartoon animation in the beginning to explain the riots, but this movie didn't really show the large scale Rioting taking place. Just one situation that happened in a hotel for the entirety of the film. Good movie. Don't know if it'll have high replay value.

7.7/10.0

Watched Passengers last night. Enjoyed it, but completely predictable and silly at times. Stranded on a ship for two years, and finally find a way into engineering with mere minutes before the ship explodes? Jump off the ship, aim trajectory perfectly off a spinning spacecraft towards a man floating through space, only to come up 1 inch short in reaching him? Absurd.
    Well, shit. Guess I don't need to watch this one since I know the ending now!

Lost Boys: The Thirst

9.5/10 stars. Great finish to The Lost Boys trilogy.

Originally Posted by RockFlagandEagle View Post
    Lost Boys: The Thirst

9.5/10 stars. Great finish to The Lost Boys trilogy.
    It's a trilogy?

When was lost boys 2?

Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
    When was lost boys 2?
    2008. 3 was 2010. It was a super secret release. Went straight to video.

Not saying much but Lost Boys 3 is much much better than 2.

Needed more of this tho...

The following users like this post: RockFlagandEagle