Cody Thomas

Posted 830 day(s) ago 4727 Views 68 Replies
Results 1 to 50 of 69
Page 1 of 2 1 2
  1. #1
    Lehmanfan's Avatar
    Posts
    2,883
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    In the short bus

    Recruitment Cody Thomas

    Word from the Elite 11 camp, Cody was the most disappointing QB at the camp. Said he really struggled with the middle/long ball & from under center.

    It seems juggling baseball & football is taking a toll on the young man. Does anyone know when he's going to make a decision between the two sports?

  2. #2
    He's never taken a snap from under center so it's to be expected he'd be rough. I think he had a week to prepare for the camp so I'm not worried. Plus we won need him for at least 3 years if not 4

  3. #3
    brousterman's Avatar
    Posts
    2,064
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma City

    I would imagine around the mlb draft next year. He gets drafted high enough goes to baseball. If not he comes to OU and plays qb. He had just gotten done playing 6 games had one day rest then went to camp. Its all on his thread in the recruiting forum.

  4. #4
    If he has been playing Baseball since last spring and he just got done playing 6 games last week his arm is probably tired. So I don't put much stock in what they might say his arm looked like at the camp. Had he been solely focused on football the past few months and they were saying that I would be kind of concerned.

  5. #5
    The coaches have to be really confident he's going to choose Football, or else why would they accept his commitment?

  6. #6
    brousterman's Avatar
    Posts
    2,064
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma City

    Originally Posted by sperry View Post
    The coaches have to be really confident he's going to choose Football, or else why would they accept his commitment?
    Same reason they did Archie Bradley. Its worth the risk. We have enough qbs on staff it wont hurt if he does choose baseball.

  7. #7
    Originally Posted by brousterman View Post
    Same reason they did Archie Bradley. Its worth the risk. We have enough qbs on staff it wont hurt if he does choose baseball.


    We already had a QB in the class with Archie Bradley, that's why we took that risk. We don't have a QB in this class, and it's clear that the coaches want a QB in every class going forward.

  8. #8
    Lehmanfan's Avatar
    Posts
    2,883
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    In the short bus

    Originally Posted by brousterman View Post
    Same reason they did Archie Bradley. Its worth the risk. We have enough qbs on staff it wont hurt if he does choose baseball.
    I disagree. You always, always take a QB in each class. Now, if Cody decides early to go with MLB & give the coaches enough time to go another direction, then all is well.

    I did not know the young man has been playing that much baseball. No doubt this explains why he was struggling at the camp. No worries.

  9. #9
    brousterman's Avatar
    Posts
    2,064
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma City

    Originally Posted by sperry View Post
    We already had a QB in the class with Archie Bradley, that's why we took that risk. We don't have a QB in this class, and it's clear that the coaches want a QB in every class going forward.
    I know we had 2. Not signing one isn't going to hurt our qb staff. If he ends up doing the baseball thing they will probably end up getting a juco kid if they want a qb that bad. They will probably have a better idea by the beginning of the year. If mlb teams are showing interest.

  10. #10
    Originally Posted by brousterman View Post
    I know we had 2. Not signing one isn't going to hurt our qb staff. If he ends up doing the baseball thing they will probably end up getting a juco kid if they want a qb that bad. They will probably have a better idea by the beginning of the year. If mlb teams are showing interest.


    I just really don't see the coaches taking him as their QB if they didn't have assurances that he wasn't going the baseball route.

  11. #11
    metes's Avatar
    Posts
    3,741
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Oklahoma City

    Honestly he would be smart to go the baseball rout -- especially if he is a top guy and it looks like he is. Baseball is not very hard on the body and he can always come back to us like a certain ginger headed **** to the north of us did.

  12. #12
    Does it really matter that he struggled under center at the camp? Not like he'd be under center much at OU in the future. Most places in the country don't need a qb taking snaps from under center.

  13. #13
    He was in a baseball tournament for the week prior, got home for 1 day, and then flew to Cali to start pitching a football.

    He wasnt in football mode. I'm not concerned

  14. #14
    Originally Posted by metes View Post
    Honestly he would be smart to go the baseball rout -- especially if he is a top guy and it looks like he is. Baseball is not very hard on the body and he can always come back to us like a certain ginger headed **** to the north of us did.
    Baseball isn't hard on the body??? I must have missed that one.
    3 users like StiffArmTrophy's post: DHF, oorah_okie, The Dude


  15. #15
    Originally Posted by StiffArmTrophy View Post
    Baseball isn't hard on the body??? I must have missed that one.
    Well, sure, but Satchel Paige did have a 40-year professional baseball career (1926-66). Even George Blanda (26 years in pro football) fell way short of that. Anyway USAO is right: no cause for concern re: Cody Thomas.

  16. #16
    Originally Posted by sperry View Post
    We already had a QB in the class with Archie Bradley, that's why we took that risk. We don't have a QB in this class, and it's clear that the coaches want a QB in every class going forward.
    I agree that the staff wants to get a QB in every class, but OU currently has 4 QBs on the roster not including Landry. If Thomas were to go pro baseball I don't think they would even consider another kid. It would be too late to recruit another QB anyway, unless he was a Juco. From what I have seen and heard that kid up at SantaFe will be a super star recruit for the class of 14. If that's the case along with the current QB roster numbers rolling the dice on a kid isn't a bad deal here. If you miss on Thomas no big deal you recruit the kid hard at Santafe and you keep the 4 guys on the roster and you are in great shape.

  17. #17
    metes's Avatar
    Posts
    3,741
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Oklahoma City

    Originally Posted by StiffArmTrophy View Post
    Baseball isn't hard on the body??? I must have missed that one.
    You play either sport at a competitive level?

    Football 13 or 14 games a year, more if you are in the NFL. The majority of those guys do not make it through one season.

    Cal Ripkin made it 2,632 games without sitting out. Must have just ruined his life to play that many games, like it has so many other baseball players. It is really sad how many wheel chair bound former MLB players there are.

    Yeah I would say you missed something.

  18. #18
    fdubzou's Avatar
    Posts
    7,688
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Juneau, Alaska

    If he goes baseball, we can always go hard after Brayden Scott if absolutely necessary.

  19. #19
    Chokelahoma88's Avatar
    Posts
    280
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Grand Prarie,TEXAS

    LoL..You all poked fun at T.Swoopes and his minor setback now Thomas is looking like sh*t.

  20. #20
    fdubzou's Avatar
    Posts
    7,688
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Juneau, Alaska

    Thomas' is at least explainable. Throwing a football and throwing a baseball are much different mechanics.

  21. #21
    Yuck Fu's Avatar
    Posts
    5,091
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Ah so, mutha fucka.

    As a certified gloomer doomer I can say with certainty that the elite 11 camp shows that Cody Thomas isn't any good but when he gets here he will still be better than the starting quarterback.
    3 users like Yuck Fu's post: DrBrizzle, IndySooner, oorah_okie


  22. #22
    BoulderSooner's Avatar
    Posts
    2,021
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Oklahoma City

    one camp doesn't mean very much ..... cody thomas had a very very good jr year ... over 3000 yard 32 td's 14 picks .. and over 60%

    the guy from florida that they made mvp of the camp .. was average last year .. 1500 yards 15 td's 10 picks ...

  23. #23
    sooner518's Avatar
    Posts
    4,302
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Austin, TX

    How highly is he expected to be drafted? I thought I read that he was a middle round pick. If so,vthats pretty different from Archie Bradley who was basically guaranteed to go in the top 10. The only way Bradley would have ended up at OU was if he and the d-backs couldn't come to terms on a contract.

  24. #24
    Throwing 90 mph fastballs is tiring to the arm. QBs use the same arm to pass footballs as they do to throw pitches. That is why baseball pitchers only pitch every 5 or 6 days.

  25. #25
    madbrad's Avatar
    Posts
    6,665
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Dallas

    He plays outfield...I Think

  26. #26
    OUrage's Avatar
    Posts
    9,363
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    FLORIDA

    Originally Posted by Chokelahoma88 View Post
    LoL..You all poked fun at T.Swoopes and his minor setback now Thomas is looking like sh*t.
    Texas being the authority of Shitty QB's I feel it best not to dignify your comments with a response.
    2 users like OUrage's post: Lehmanfan, SoonerChef


  27. #27
    madbrad's Avatar
    Posts
    6,665
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Dallas

    Originally Posted by Chokelahoma88 View Post
    LoL..You all poked fun at T.Swoopes and his minor setback now Thomas is looking like sh*t.
    Swoopes is still listed as an athlete. Thomas looked bad for one camp. Swoopes looks bad everywhere he goes.

  28. #28
    Thomas got an early lesson. At the high D1 level, it's either football or baseball, but not both. As far as MLB goes, they want him as a pitcher. He's a mid first round pick as a pitcher. Fortunately for us he's only interested in playing outfield.

  29. #29
    metes's Avatar
    Posts
    3,741
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Oklahoma City

    Originally Posted by NateHeupelESQ View Post
    Thomas got an early lesson. At the high D1 level, it's either football or baseball, but not both. As far as MLB goes, they want him as a pitcher. He's a mid first round pick as a pitcher. Fortunately for us he's only interested in playing outfield.
    When they offer him 1st round money he will wanna pitch.

  30. #30
    Originally Posted by metes View Post
    You play either sport at a competitive level?

    Football 13 or 14 games a year, more if you are in the NFL. The majority of those guys do not make it through one season.

    Cal Ripkin made it 2,632 games without sitting out. Must have just ruined his life to play that many games, like it has so many other baseball players. It is really sad how many wheel chair bound former MLB players there are.

    Yeah I would say you missed something.
    You are full of ****tard! Remember Brett Favre? He played a long streak of consecutive games I'm too lazy to look up how many straight years it is but it was over 15. The only difference is that there isn't as many games in a football season. There are several football players who have played an entire career without injury. Any way back on track to the original point of baseball not being physical, it may not be football physical but it is a very physical game. I'm just going to go out on a limb and say you haven't played baseball competitively or else you would know that. Just watch any play at home plate and tell me that's not a significant collision.

  31. #31
    sooner518's Avatar
    Posts
    4,302
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Austin, TX

    Originally Posted by StiffArmTrophy View Post
    You are full of ****tard! Remember Brett Favre? He played a long streak of consecutive games I'm too lazy to look up how many straight years it is but it was over 15. The only difference is that there isn't as many games in a football season. There are several football players who have played an entire career without injury. Any way back on track to the original point of baseball not being physical, it may not be football physical but it is a very physical game. I'm just going to go out on a limb and say you haven't played baseball competitively or else you would know that. Just watch any play at home plate and tell me that's not a significant collision.
    how many times a season does that happen to a single player? twice? youre trying to make a ludicrous argument. cut your losses and move on.
    2 users like sooner518's post: FiveOhSooner, tennsooner


  32. #32
    metes's Avatar
    Posts
    3,741
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Oklahoma City

    Originally Posted by StiffArmTrophy View Post
    You are full of ****tard! Remember Brett Favre? He played a long streak of consecutive games I'm too lazy to look up how many straight years it is but it was over 15. The only difference is that there isn't as many games in a football season. There are several football players who have played an entire career without injury. Any way back on track to the original point of baseball not being physical, it may not be football physical but it is a very physical game. I'm just going to go out on a limb and say you haven't played baseball competitively or else you would know that. Just watch any play at home plate and tell me that's not a significant collision.
    You would be right about not playing baseball...oh wait...I have only coached and played the sport for almost my entire life. Football is much harder on the body than baseball is. I never once said it was not physical! Each sport is draining in it's own right and requires a certain amount of athleticism. I never played football beyond high school but I never ran more in my life then I did in baseball, it takes longevity and stamina to make it through a baseball season. Football is a brutal game and if you compare the two, baseball is almost a leisure sport. You are right about collisions at the play and there is the occasional collision other places on the field. Besides that baseball is a non-contact sport. Show 5 cases where someone had their life come to a halt because they played baseball too hard? Can you dip snuff or eat sun flower seeds while playing in a football game? I wonder why football seasons have so few games??? Maybe because if they played 162 football games in a year, all of the players would be dead!!!

    Also, eat shit!

    Originally Posted by sooner518 View Post
    how many times a season does that happen to a single player? twice? youre trying to make a ludicrous argument. cut your losses and move on.
    The plow at the plate has to be well timed and is pretty rare. There are whole DVD's of football hits, there has been 1 or 2 plays that resulted in collision this year. Thank you for helping with the argument.

  33. #33
    I don't care if you play badminton 162 games from April to October, you will feel it. Baseball haters can hate, what their ADD having ass won't ever realize is the body falls apart no matter the sport.

    Having said that, if his arm was jello and he was mentally fatigued then he won't perform well. It was a camp, treat it as such.

    What I'm more concerned with, is he a competitor? He played a baseball tourney, then went to the camp to compete.
    2 users like srburkhart's post: DHF, Lehmanfan


  34. #34
    Baseball is about as hard on the body as a good nights sleep.
    2 users like R3D Mamba's post: GTSooner, tennsooner


  35. #35
    Chokelahoma88's Avatar
    Posts
    280
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Grand Prarie,TEXAS

    Originally Posted by madbrad View Post
    Swoopes is still listed as an athlete. Thomas looked bad for one camp. Swoopes looks bad everywhere he goes.
    Bullshit..thomas will be a bust.I can't wait for him to get under center in norman.LoL

  36. #36
    silverwheels's Avatar
    Posts
    8,055
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    passing through nature to eternity

    Originally Posted by Chokelahoma88 View Post
    Bullshit..thomas will be a bust.I can't wait for him to get under center in norman.LoL
    Given your outstanding track record of being stupid and Texas's recent history of shitty QB play, I'm not sure you're qualified to make such a statement. Go back to the kids' table.

  37. #37
    Tundra's Avatar
    Posts
    2,775
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Indian Territory

    Originally Posted by R3D Mamba View Post
    Baseball is about as hard on the body as a good nights sleep.
    Wtf ever...

  38. #38
    Originally Posted by Chokelahoma88 View Post
    Bullshit..thomas will be a bust.I can't wait for him to get under center in norman.LoL
    Swoopes...Radio2.0,3/4 wind-up can't read a defense to save himself,no pocket presence, locks on to his receivers with his eyes,scored a 2 on his ACT,definitely Ewww-T QB material
    The following users like this post: Lehmanfan


  39. #39
    Thomas will be fine. Those kids work on their qb game all year long. Thomas does it for half a year at the most. Espin had Bradford at a 3 star also. He has plenty of time to get better and even if he doesnt we have a some good ones who can fill the void.

  40. #40
    oorah_okie's Avatar
    Posts
    23,095
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Westeros

    Originally Posted by Chokelahoma88 View Post
    Bullshit..thomas will be a bust.I can't wait for him to get under center in norman.LoL
    Couldn't be any worse then...

  41. #41
    madbrad's Avatar
    Posts
    6,665
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Dallas

    Originally Posted by oorah_okie View Post
    Couldn't be any worse then...
    He was better than


  42. #42
    Originally Posted by Chokelahoma88 View Post
    Bullshit..thomas will be a bust.I can't wait for him to get under center in norman.LoL
    There is not a soul rooting for Mack Brown or even working for Mack Brown that has any skill to evaluate QB play. Thus, I will take your quibbling as a sign that we've done well.

  43. #43
    If Cody is a 3 star QB then swoopes is -1 star QB. Swoopes may be a good athlete but he sucks as QB. He will fit right in with the long line of shitty QBs at texass. Oh, it's funny tx fans come over here to make fun of QB recruits when their staff wouldn't know a quality QB recruit if he landed in their lap.

  44. #44
    OUrage's Avatar
    Posts
    9,363
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    FLORIDA

    Originally Posted by R3D Mamba View Post
    Baseball is about as hard on the body as a good nights sleep.
    That is just too funny

  45. #45
    Originally Posted by NateHeupelESQ View Post
    Thomas got an early lesson. At the high D1 level, it's either football or baseball, but not both. As far as MLB goes, they want him as a pitcher. He's a mid first round pick as a pitcher. Fortunately for us he's only interested in playing outfield.


    Lol at a kid turning down first round money because he wants to play outfield.

  46. #46
    Originally Posted by R3D Mamba View Post
    Baseball is about as hard on the body as a good nights sleep.
    hahahahahaha


    no.
    The following users like this post: StiffArmTrophy


  47. #47
    meandmybutt's Avatar
    Posts
    7,156
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Deported to San Antonio

    Originally Posted by Chokelahoma88 View Post
    Bullshit..thomas will be a bust.I can't wait for him to get under center in norman.LoL

    go home ****tard

  48. #48
    Originally Posted by sooner518 View Post
    how many times a season does that happen to a single player? twice? youre trying to make a ludicrous argument. cut your losses and move on.
    I'm making the point that baseball is a physical sport too. It may not be as physical as football which I noted in an earlier post but anyone saying that it's not physical is full of idiocy.

  49. #49
    Originally Posted by metes View Post
    You would be right about not playing baseball...oh wait...I have only coached and played the sport for almost my entire life. Football is much harder on the body than baseball is. I never once said it was not physical! Each sport is draining in it's own right and requires a certain amount of athleticism. I never played football beyond high school but I never ran more in my life then I did in baseball, it takes longevity and stamina to make it through a baseball season. Football is a brutal game and if you compare the two, baseball is almost a leisure sport. You are right about collisions at the play and there is the occasional collision other places on the field. Besides that baseball is a non-contact sport. Show 5 cases where someone had their life come to a halt because they played baseball too hard? Can you dip snuff or eat sun flower seeds while playing in a football game? I wonder why football seasons have so few games??? Maybe because if they played 162 football games in a year, all of the players would be dead!!!

    Also, eat shit!



    The plow at the plate has to be well timed and is pretty rare. There are whole DVD's of football hits, there has been 1 or 2 plays that resulted in collision this year. Thank you for helping with the argument.
    Firstly, go **** your retarded self! Secondly, you said baseball wasn't hard on the body, this essentially is saying it is not physical. There's a pretty close correction there. Anyway I guess it's pointless to argue with a ****tard in this when he can't interpret what he even said in an earlier post.

  50. #50
    metes's Avatar
    Posts
    3,741
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Oklahoma City

    Originally Posted by StiffArmTrophy View Post
    Firstly, go **** your retarded self! Secondly, you said baseball wasn't hard on the body, this essentially is saying it is not physical. There's a pretty close correction there. Anyway I guess it's pointless to argue with a ****tard in this when he can't interpret what he even said in an earlier post.
    NO YOU!!!

    Did your parents have any children that lived?

Similar Threads

  1. Cody Thomas update?
    By LostCreekSooner in forum Owen Field
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: October 13th, 2013, 10:46 PM
  2. Cody Thomas starter?
    By okielover1988 in forum Recruiting
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: July 25th, 2013, 04:00 PM
  3. Cody Thomas Starter?
    By okielover1988 in forum Owen Field
    Replies: 68
    Last Post: July 25th, 2013, 09:35 AM
  4. Cody Thomas rumors?
    By ruasoonerfan2 in forum Recruiting
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: February 6th, 2013, 11:41 AM
  5. Cody Thomas
    By CrimsonRez in forum Owen Field
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: November 19th, 2012, 10:07 AM

Tags for this Thread