Super Duper Serious Band Mega Thread

Posted 835 day(s) ago by OnlyOneOklahoma188743 Views 4023 Replies
Page 3 of 81 1 2 3 4 5 13 53
    SoonerBounce Guest

The Pride

Originally Posted by crimsonandcream1990 View Post
    Really? I thought tonight was the worst the band has played in all of their suck. They were too soft and they played shitty music, not to mention the crappy formations. Sorry, the alumnis did not help tonight either. And thats not a shot at them, but it was awful
    I could hear them loud and clear. Usually I can barely hear them and really have a hard time hearing what song they are playing

I listened to their pre-game concert. Sounded much better than usual. However, WTF is up with them not marching in step during the parade? It looks terrible. You're a marching band... not a walking one. The Pride better bring their A-game next week with the 400 member ND band coming to town next week.

I thought they were a bit pitchy...

Re: The Pride

I could listen to the Notre Dame band all **** day. The Pride is just sitting around with their thumbs in their asses.
    The following users like this post: ab5sr

The game is decided and now the pride decides to play.

Brian Britt

Why is he stepping down? Was he forced to?

I stated this in the Pridegate 2012 thread, but I'll repeat it here: I do not pay attention to bands and generally do not give a shit, but the dichotomy between the Texas band and the OU band at the Cotton Bowl this year was flat out embarrassing.

The Pride

Who sucks worse, the pride or Landry?
    The following users like this post: byrk75

The Pride

Originally Posted by SOONER_JDL View Post
    Why is he stepping down? Was he forced to?
    LT giveth and LT taketh.

I like to think this thread started it all. Embarrassed at Texas. Embarrassed by Notre Dame.

My senior year at Newcastle High School we didn't qualify for OBA but our instructor still took us so that we could watch The Pride play. I was in the stands during this performance. Too bad the Pride today doesn't sound as good.

I was in the Pride in 89. I'm in that video!
    The following users like this post: McRib

Originally Posted by SoonerSean03 View Post
    Thanks for not sucking

I've always loved The Pride. I don't know enough about music or their formation marching to be a critic, but if they mess with Twirler Girl, I'm off of their asses forever.

I knew a few people in the Pride that year. Steve Estes on trombone, Brent Moore on sax.

That first song in the video is A Mighty Fortess is our God. We played it to the east stands just to show how powerful we could be (and as a warm up). Sounded awesome and everyone on the west side knew the best was yet to come since we could be that loud facing away from them.

Sadly that year Coach had us do one show with Beach Boys music. We all stripped out of our uniforms into shorts/tshirts and had to dance - including pretending to swim on the old AstroTurf. It rained the day before - ugh. Anyone at OU at the time might recall that show started a feud between the band and the OU Daily paper bc someone wrote a piece on how bad that show was.

The Pride

That first song in the video is A Mighty Fortess is our God. We played it to the east stands just to show how powerful we could be (and as a warm up). Sounded awesome and everyone on the west aide knew the best was yet to come since we could be that loud facing away from them.

Sadly that year Coach had us do one show with Beach Boys music. We all stripped out of our uniforms into shorts/tshirts and had to dance - including pretending to swim on the old AstroTurf. It rained the day before - ugh. Anyone at OU at the time might recall that show started a feud between the band and the OU Daily paper bc someone wrote a piece on how bad that show was.
    We played A Mighty Fortress when I was a freshman. Loved it.

SoonerBounce Guest

The Pride

Wait is. Britt stepping down?

Originally Posted by SoonerBounce View Post
    Yes

Originally Posted by SoonerBounce View Post
    Originally Posted by BayAreaSooner View Post
    Yes
    I knew you two s would know about this topic. Please stay to talking about band.

lmao at oorah

Ok seriously ... Does anyone who wasn't a band nerd really give two shits about the band? I had never heard of this britt guy until I came here. And I won't know the name of the next director either!

And who's bright idea was it to name bands "the pride"? Seriously?... Sorry band nerds, its the football team thats the pride of the university! Nobody gives a ****! Just don't **** up boomer sooner and the majority could care less! Then again I guess it's a thankless job... If you're good, nobody cares. If you suck, everyone wants blood.

But ok, just to kiss and make up, here's something for you band nerds to jerk off to!

The following users like this post: byrk75

So, what the current SitRep in re: Twirler Girl?

I have a confused Governor on my Twitter feed.
    2 users like The's post: BMR, OUMallen

Me too.

I loved Fanfare For The Common, Man.

Ironically, that was the smallest The Pride was in my years in it. And yes, that Beach Boys show was dismal. Fortunately, as a tuba player I didn't have to swim.

I think the best show I was a part of was '87 OBA when we did the Russian show. We blew their hair back with 1812.

Can some band person explain to me why the Band doesn't makes shapes or words that people in the stands can recognize. I'm sure the Patterns are hard to make but its more fun to watch what Ohio State's band does.

Originally Posted by ChpThril View Post

And who's bright idea was it to name bands "the pride"? Seriously?... Sorry band nerds, its the football team thats the pride of the university! Nobody gives a ****! Just don't **** up boomer sooner and the majority could care less! Then again I guess it's a thankless job... If you're good, nobody cares. If you suck, everyone wants blood.
    Every band has a unique, sorta-lame name. The Goin' Band, the Million Dollar Band, the Pride of Oklahoma, blah blah blah. Don't blame the band. I think as far as band names go, it's solid.

Originally Posted by Original_OUchemE View Post
    Can some band person explain to me why the Band doesn't makes shapes or words that people in the stands can recognize. I'm sure the Patterns are hard to make but its more fun to watch what Ohio State's band does.
    Notre Dame was pretty cool too...

Originally Posted by OUMallen View Post
    Every band has a unique, sorta-lame name. The Goin' Band, the Million Dollar Band, the Pride of Oklahoma, blah blah blah. Don't blame the band. I think as far as band names go, it's solid.
    but they aren't the pride of oklahoma. the football team is.

Originally Posted by bushmaster06 View Post
    but they aren't the pride of oklahoma. the football team is.
    If you want to get all technical about it, it's probably Will Rogers, really.

Here's my question. Do the flag girls get scholarships? That part is dumb. Sorry but it is and if they get a scholarship to stand in one spot(usually) and wave a flag that's even worse.

The Pride

Originally Posted by whatitis View Post
    Here's my question. Do the flag girls get scholarships? That part is dumb. Sorry but it is and if they get a scholarship to stand in one spot(usually) and wave a flag that's even worse.
    No.

Originally Posted by xunil View Post
    Three factors have greatly contributed to the downfall of the pride:

1. Banning pre-practice football games
    2. Removing the weight limit for flag girls
    3. Hiring Brian Brit.

What the **** is up with #1? When did he do that?

Time for the annual flag waving show from the Pride. The pregame concert sucked ass. Expect the same at halftime.

I was in the '84 and '85 Pride when Brian was a drummer in the band. I didn't know him well, but he seemed like a nice enough guy. That being said, I'm kind of glad to see this thread because I know my wife must think I'm crazy and a little annoying for complaining about the Pride every game for a few years now. For those of you who don't think the band matters, then you must not have seen Notre Dame a couple of weeks ago or the Aggie band when they used to come to Norman. I personally hate the Aggie band and am glad the little pretend military f***kers are gone, but people actually used to stay in the stands at half time to listen to them. People don't stay to listen to the OU band. In fact, most people around me think they are a minor annoyance if they think about them at all.

Here's the bottom line(s):

1. They don't play interesting music.
    2. They play with no authority so nobody can even hear them.
    3. They do very little to enhance school spirit during the games. Heck, half the time the scoreboard drowns them out with some meaningless OG&E power play of the game nonsense because the guys in the pressbox don't even know they are playing and think that people would rather watch the 20th replay of Damien Williams running off tackle in the 2nd quarter anyway. They need to start one or two new traditions by working on a few new songs that are catchy so that people can chant, clap or sing along with. In this day and age where the game is just becoming one large commercial on the big screen, the band needs to be as good as it can possibly be or they will continue to lose playing time and may eventually go away altogether - their seats are valuable.

Originally Posted by mgsooner View Post
    I stated this in the Pridegate 2012 thread, but I'll repeat it here: I do not pay attention to bands and generally do not give a shit, but the dichotomy between the Texas band and the OU band at the Cotton Bowl this year was flat out embarrassing.

do explain

Originally Posted by 89Oklahoma View Post
    Here's the bottom line(s):

1. They don't play interesting music.
    2. They play with no authority so nobody can even hear them.
    I cannot emphasize these two enough. NO ONE WANTS TO HEAR SHERYL CROW AND THE GERSHWINS AT A FOOTBALL GAME.

Very disappointed. Pride sitting on their asses, OSU band dancing their asses off and chanting.

Thank god Britt is leaving.

The Pride

Band s.

Late in the game. Pride sitting on asses. OSU dancing changing and pumping up he fans.

Originally Posted by OnlyOneOklahoma View Post
    Late in the game. Pride sitting on asses. OSU dancing changing and pumping up he fans.
    They were playing plenty loud enough when we were on O at the end of the game and trying to get play calls in. If I were Stoops I'd ****ing ban them from the damn stadium.

SoonerBounce Guest

The Pride

Gangham style was so ficking dumb. That was so one month ago

I'll start caring about the band when they start looking like and dressing like the Alabama baton girls ... and carrying batons instead of tubas.

still can hardly even hear them... Hopefully that changes next season

The Pride

Seeing how the "Seven Nation Army" theme caught on during the season, I'm really, really hoping will be playing early and often tonight.

The OU band needs a new director from the outside, without anyOU connections!

Fresh ideas are needed.

Quality of sound is not as important as pure volume.
    3 users like OU48A's post: fdubzou, oorah_okie, Stoops'Visor

OU was unbeatable at home until The Pride starting sucking. And Brit needs to take the horse-cows (formerly horse-pigs) with him.

Originally Posted by oorah_okie View Post
    Seeing how the "Seven Nation Army" theme caught on during the season, I'm really, really hoping will be playing early and often tonight.
    This did not happen and once again The Pride was thoroughly outdone. Thank goodness Britt is gone.

Originally Posted by oorah_okie View Post
    This did not happen and once again The Pride was thoroughly outdone. Thank goodness Britt is gone.
    Its hard to outdo the A&M band. But I haven't noticed the lack of the Pride's performance until this year. I could barely hear them last night. I could hear the A&M band loud and clear though.

Do they still march in the shape of a giant space semen on the field? They have a good sound but the song selection sucks as does the choreography... but at least they dont jsut march in lines and play the same freaking music over and over like A$M...

The Pride

Originally Posted by Stein7495 View Post
    Its hard to outdo the A&M band. But I haven't noticed the lack of the Pride's performance until this year. I could barely hear them last night. I could hear the A&M band loud and clear though.
    I had no expectations of them outdoing the ags and I also couldn't hear a damn thing they played, although I was directly above them in the 400s. I was merely hoping that they would be able to generate some crowd energy should it be a close game.