OKC Barons

Posted 731 day(s) ago 4253 Views 71 Replies
Page 1 of 2 1 2

OKC Barons

I know there's not a lot of hockey fans on here but you guys need to go watch the Barons at the beginning of the season. With the NHL lockout happening the AHL is going to be filled with lots of young NHL players and the Barons are going to be loaded. RNH, Eberle, Schultz, and Paajarvi have been assigned to the Barons already.

Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    I know there's not a lot of hockey fans on here but you guys need to go watch the Barons at the beginning of the season. With the NHL lockout happening the AHL is going to be filled with lots of young NHL players and the Barons are going to be loaded. RNH, Eberle, Schultz, and Paajarvi have been assigned to the Barons already.
    I'm pretty excited about Eberle and Nuge playing in OKC. Wish Hall was healthy, would love to see him in a Barons jersey.

Plan to be there on Oct 26. I starting going in 1965, the Blazers first season. :-)

I went to their first game but haven't made it back since. I need to go more often, although I wish they played at The Peake.

And **** Bettman and the owners.

OKC Barons

Originally Posted by silverwheels View Post
    I went to their first game but haven't made it back since. I need to go more often, although I wish they played at The Peake.

And **** Bettman and the owners.
    I'm actually glad they play in a smaller venue like the Cox (formerly Myriad). The arena would look cavernous if they played at the 'Peake as the Barons only draw between 2k to 4k (and even that could be generous) depending on the game, sometimes more on the weekends or specials promotions. The Blazers should have never left the Myriad for the old Ford Center because this issue.

I wish we had a hockey-centric arena (I know, huge pipe-dream) that sat about 6.5k to 8k. Something like the Dallas Stars' affiliate has in Cedar Park outside of Austin. That arena sits about 8k, and is also used for rodeos, concerts, graduations, etc.

Also, stinks we have no NHL to watch, but at least Edmonton is sending us some marquee players during their lockout. Despite no local NHL team in OKC, we still get to watch NHL level talent in Nuge and Eberle, among others. Hopefully that helps increase attendance a bit as well.
    The following users like this post: OKCChuck

Originally Posted by the_Mont View Post
    I wish we had a hockey-centric arena (I know, huge pipe-dream) that sat about 6.5k to 8k. Something like the Dallas Stars' affiliate has in Cedar Park outside of Austin. That arena sits about 8k, and is also used for rodeos, concerts, graduations, etc.
    What about the possible new convention center? Do you think they'll make it more hockey friendly?

Yeah, a smaller, modern arena with more intimate seating would really be ideal. It's just that the Myriad is soooooo outdated.

OKC Barons

Originally Posted by silverwheels View Post
    Yeah, a smaller, modern arena with more intimate seating would really be ideal. It's just that the Myriad is soooooo outdated.
    Yes, definitely, even with the updates from a few years ago. At least they have a legit jumbotron.

OKC Barons

Originally Posted by OKCChuck View Post
    What about the possible new convention center? Do you think they'll make it more hockey friendly?
    I'd rather they just make a multi-use sports arena specifically for hockey, but could also be converted for Big 12 basketball tournaments, state HS basketball playoffs, concerts, graduations, etc. Nothing too extravagant or too large capacity wise. It'll never happen in OKC, though, not enough support for hockey to make if feasible. I would certainly vote for it on a MAPS ballot, though.

OKC Barons

Barons' training camp starts this Sunday, Sept. 30 at 10 a.m. with free open practices at the Cox Center.

They have two preseason games at home, both against the Houston Aeros, on Friday, Oct. 5 and Saturday, Oct. 6. Both games start at 7 p.m., and admission is free with a donation of money or supplies to Infant Crisis Services. The team suggests baby bottles, sippy cups, new/gently used toys, Good Start formula, diapers, pacifiers, baby shampoo and coats from 2T to 6.

http://okcbarons.com
    2 users like the_Mont's post: McRib, Spokes

OKC Barons

Couple of pics from today's group A practice

OKC Barons

Goalie practice

OKC Barons

Group B practice photos

OKC Barons

Baldwin's NewsOK story about the start of training camp, mentions the possibility of Hall coming down once he has finished rehab on his shoulder.

http://m.newsok.com/oklahoma-city-ba...rticle/3714680

Appreciate the pics Mont.

OKC Barons

Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    Appreciate the pics Mont.
    No problem. Hope you guys hit up a game or two or 10 this season. It's good hockey, and will be even better with NHL talent sprinkled around the league.

OKC Barons

Just a reminder, admission to tonight's preseason game against Houston is free with a donation of money or supplies to Infant Crisis Services.

OKC Barons

Here's an article from the Edmonton Journal about Taylor Hall possibly signing with the Barons once he's completed rehabbing his shoulder.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/touch...tml?id=7346537

OKC Barons

Earlier today, the Barons named Josh Green captain, with Eberle, VandeVelde, Plante and Byers alternates.

They also keep teasing a "big announcement" for later this evening at their Open House event. Not sure if its exciting, or relevant, news, but we'll see.

OKC Barons

The big announcement was definitely worth it: third jerseys! Really cool looking, too. The OKC oil drip logo on the vintage Edmonton sweater:

Edit: here's the official photo:

Last edited by the_Mont; October 9th, 2012 at 09:53 PM.

OKC Barons

The Barons open the season tonight, on the road against Lake Erie (AHL affiliate of the Colorado Avalanche). Check out this great blog (not mine) for more info:

http://www.tendthefarm.com
    Last edited by the_Mont; October 12th, 2012 at 11:36 AM.

OKC Barons

High praise from Canada's National Post:

http://www.nationalpost.com/m/wp/spo...to-ahls-barons

OKC Barons

According to the Tend the Farm blog, Taylor Hall should make his Barons debut at home on Friday, Nov. 2 against the Aeros.

OKC Barons

The barons twitter account just posted that Hall is skating with the team while he rehabs his shoulder. Probably won't play anytime soon, but at least he's in OKC. Kind of neat to have four NHL-caliber players and NBA superstars in our city at the same time. Who would have thought this was possible 15 years ago?

Edit: here's a fan pic of Hallsy giving an interview after practice.

Last edited by the_Mont; October 17th, 2012 at 11:36 AM.

OKC Barons

Anybody going to the home opener tonight against San Antonio? Can anybody hear me?!

OKC Barons

I wish i lived in okc. Id get season tickets
    The following users like this post: the_Mont

OKC Barons

Barons won 5-2. Schultz had two goals (both short handed, the second an empty netter at the end of the game), and Eberle scored off an assist from Nuge. Really nice crowd too.
    Last edited by the_Mont; October 19th, 2012 at 11:11 PM.

Barons won 5-2. Schultz had two goals (both short handed, the second an empty netter at the end of the game), and Eberle scored off an assist from Nuge. Really nice crowd too.
    What's the story on tickets to Friday's game? What kinds of crowds do they draw?

OKC Barons

Taylor Hall gets the official "okay" to suit up for the Barons.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/touch...tml?id=7473083

OKC Barons

Originally Posted by Sooner 76 View Post
    What's the story on tickets to Friday's game? What kinds of crowds do they draw?
    Sorry about that, haven't checked the thread in a while. Crowd size fluctuates. Usually around 2,500 to 3,000, more on the weekends an big promos. Oftentimes less than that. Just tough attracting fans when you have the Thunder next door.

OKC Barons

Taylor Hall is officially a Baron today.

OKC Barons

For Movember this month, the barons are giving a $4 discount on day-of-game tickets if you sport a mustache.

OKC Barons

From press row at tonight's game against Milwaukee.
    3 users like the_Mont's post: DHF, OKCChuck, Tug Medick

For Movember this month, the barons are giving a $4 discount on day-of-game tickets if you sport a mustache.
    does full beard count? or just mustache? Because I have a pretty sweet face sweater going on

does full beard count? or just mustache? Because I have a pretty sweet face sweater going on

From press row at tonight's game against Milwaukee.
    Who is that? What is their username? You can see that they're logged in but I can't read it.

Originally Posted by OKCChuck View Post
    I think it counts. I have scruff everywhere, but they took it.

How coincidental the kid is from Edmonton, he comes here for therapy, and his hometown team's farm team, and star players, are here in Oklahoma City? Good on you, Barons.

http://kfor.com/2012/11/19/barons-gi...ason-to-smile/

OKC Barons

The Hockey News listed the Barons as one of the "hottest tickets in hockey" while the NHL is locked out. Now that our NHL guys are starting to click, I agree.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...in-hockey.html

This thread is depressing.

I like how Canadians are slamming Oklahomans for not supporting the team.

Poor Canucks. You almost feel sorry for them. I tried to sit through the Grey Cup last night and dozed off in the 3rd quarter. And I thought our halftime shows were bad.

A nation in crisis.

Nm

Anyone know why we have been struggling this season? I usually attend quite a few games but this season I have been way too busy and haven't made it out yet. So I haven't seen our chemistry and stuff. I was really hoping for a strong start to the season. As of right now we are on the outside looking in (9th seed in West)

Not the same depth and chemistry as last season. They're great at giving up games in the last minute and/or losing in shootouts. The stars don't care if the Barons win or not. They're just working out until the NHL cranks back up.

I'll say this, if Hall, Eberle and Schultze end up in the NHL this year, this team is trouble come playoffs time. They depend way too much on these guys.

OKC Barons

Hall, Eberle and Schultz are in Edmonton getting ready for the opening of training camp. A few other guys, like Paajarvi and Hartikainan, may be moving up as well. Kind of bittersweet, but it was fun watching those players in OKC sweaters the last few months.

Went to the game last Friday night. They were giving away hockey sticks so I went. This was the first game we played since Hall, Schultz, and Eberle were gone. Lost 7-0. It was horrible. Then the Oilers just called up Hartekeinen, Tuebert, Pajarvi, and Vandevelde. Might be a rough season from here on out. Unless they send any of those 4 back down. But I doubt it, because those 4 guys are real solid players

OKC Barons

Barons definitely won't be as good without Eberle, Hall, Nuge and Schultz, but the core of the team is basically the same as last year's WC finals team. It may even help some of the guys like Pitlick, Green, Arcobello, VandeVelde, etc, and the new ECHL call-ups, to be more of the main focus of the team rather than the Big Four. Basically the mid season NHL training camp could be a distraction for the fringe NHL players, and it'll probably get back to normal after the NHL rosters are finalized. Remember, NHL camps are usually finished by the time the AHL teams are in their own camps, so this year is kinda ass-backwards.

OKC Barons

$1 hot dogs and $2 16 oz beers tonight from 6 to 8 pm

Playoffs started tonight. Dropped game 1 to Charlotte 4-3 in OT

Now tied 1-1

Little update, Barons advanced to the Western Conference Finals last night, winning their series against Texas 4-1. They'll play the winner of the Grand Rapids-Toronto series, which GR leads 3-1. Next Barons home game will be May 29.