The Road To Omaha:Sooner Baseball '13

Posted 795 day(s) ago by usaosooner127769 Views 3789 Replies
Page 7 of 76 5 6 7 8 9 17 57
    OU 3 Corpus Christi 1 top 8th 2outs 2 on OU hitting

OU in trouble runners on the corners no outs

3-2, 1 out runner on 3rd they scored on a wild pitch

Pitching change J. Gray went 7 gave up 4 hits 1 run walked 4 and 6 so. Ethan Carnes came in went 0.2 ip allowed 3 hits 1 run and a so. Jacob Evans just replaced Carnes in the game

ground out to ss to end the threat top of 9th 3-2 OU

8-0
    The following users like this post: melbitoast

Originally Posted by usaosooner View Post
    8-0
    Hell yeah.

We're off to a great start. I'd love to see them leave CC undefeated tomorrow.

No radio coverage of today’s game?

It sucks.

Originally Posted by OU48A View Post
    No radio coverage of today’s game?

It sucks.
    Its 5-4 top 5th. 2 outs runner on 1st. Keeping up on gametracker.

Originally Posted by brousterman View Post
    Keeping up on gametracker.
    Me too!

8-7 New Mexico in the 8th.

2 down for the Sooners with runners on the corners, and Mayfield is at the plate.

Mayfield 3 run HR!

10-8 Sooners.

OU wins 10-8.

9-0

Oklahoma Baseball‏@OU_Baseball
    Garza, Jr. breezes through the top of the ninth and the Sooners beat New Mexico, 10-8! Nine in a row! #Oklahomaha

Baseball Wins Kleberg Classic Championship

http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m...022413aaa.html

Senior infielder Jack Mayfield crushed a three-run home run over the left field wall in the bottom of the eighth inning to push the No. 14-ranked University of Oklahoma baseball team to its ninth straight win to open the 2013 season courtesy of a 10-8 come-from-behind victory over New Mexico in the third game of the 2013 Kleberg Bank College Classic for both squads Sunday at Whataburger Field, the home of the Houston Astros' Double-A affiliate, the Corpus Christi Hooks.

"We continue to be impressed by the way our players care about one another," said eighth-year head coach Sunny Golloway. "They all really seem to enjoy each other's company. I always call them a 'band of brothers.'"

The Sooners (9-0) are off to their best start since flying out of the gates to a 16-0 mark in 2011. Oklahoma won the 2013 Kleberg Bank College Classic with a perfect 3-0 record on the weekend. The Sooners topped Iowa, 3-1, on Friday before taking down host Texas A&M Corpus Christi, 4-2, Saturday. OU is now 15-1 all-time against the Lobos (2-4)
    -----------------

Boys have 5 days off before Pepperdine series on the 1st. Pepperdine took a series with A&M this weekend 2-1 http://www.pepperdinesports.com/spor...sebl-body.html
    The following users like this post: OU48A

Originally Posted by DHF View Post
    OU wins 10-8.

9-0
    Couple of things thus far on the Sooners:

1. The level of competition thus far hasn't been earth shattering, but hasn't been too shabby either. I believe that there is something to be said for winning close games....regardless of the level of competition.....early in the season that can stand a team in good stead later in the year. OU has done that on 4 occasions thus far.

2. I really like the combination of youth/leadership on this squad. A very business like approach thus far.

Over the course of the weekend in CC, at least 7 freshman/2 Rs sophomores saw significant playing time. They are really fast and quite good.

Combine that with the leadership of Overton/Gray/Mayfield/White/Carrey/Oberste and you have the potential to be really good this year and in seasons to come.

Friday was an absolute example of how the college game is to be played in the 7th inning. Mayfield and White were coming through to the plate for the 4th time. After every single at bat, the entire team is discussing little items on the Iowa pitcher. Mayfield hits a single. Works the pitcher to throw to 1st 3 times by getting an aggressive lead. He and White had a plan going into the at bat that Mayfield was gonna run on 2-1 count. White agrees to protect. Mayfield steals 2nd. He then takes a massive lead at second because the lefty hasn't thrown to the bag all game. Mayfield goes on the next pitch to 3rd. White singles to the hole up the middle but the SS can't make a play home or at first base. Perfect execution of a run by senior leadership.

3. I am really impressed with Coach Giese and his accumen in handling the battery. You can tell he can get a little frustrated dealing with a young Hermelyn behind the plate but he is always teaching. The bullpen and young arms (3 frosh thus far) have really pitched well. They have a ton of really good arms....hopefully he can develop them into to useful/effective tools.

4. They need to clean up some of the errors on the infield and Hermelyn needs to grow up quick behind the plate. They have the potential to be really good up the middle. Mayfield/Aikin/Herm/Lorenzana can be highlight reel quality and then muff a routine play. That must change in order to advance in the tournament / win close games in conference. Carey is an excellent defensive 3rd basemen....I would put him up in the class of Ryan Rohlinger (06). Defense at first is a bit of a concern.

5. Aikin is a ball player. I love his entire demeanor and approach. He has "it".....and can flat out fly. Overton is a stud. Steady and doesn't get flustered....just hits spots and does work.

The next 2 weeks should reveal alot. Sunny seems to be real relaxed with this group and letting his assistants do their thing.....which is good for everybody. I am cautiously optimistic......but the Big 12 is really good this year. OSU will be a load. UT has really impressed me on LHN during the Nebraska series (see note about winning close games), TCU & Baylor are way better than their early records.
    4 users like jadubya's post: DHF, metes, OU48A, usaosooner

Originally Posted by jadubya View Post
    Couple of things thus far on the Sooners:

1. The level of competition thus far hasn't been earth shattering, but hasn't been too shabby either. I believe that there is something to be said for winning close games....regardless of the level of competition.....early in the season that can stand a team in good stead later in the year. OU has done that on 4 occasions thus far.

2. I really like the combination of youth/leadership on this squad. A very business like approach thus far.

Over the course of the weekend in CC, at least 7 freshman/2 Rs sophomores saw significant playing time. They are really fast and quite good.

Combine that with the leadership of Overton/Gray/Mayfield/White/Carrey/Oberste and you have the potential to be really good this year and in seasons to come.

Friday was an absolute example of how the college game is to be played in the 7th inning. Mayfield and White were coming through to the plate for the 4th time. After every single at bat, the entire team is discussing little items on the Iowa pitcher. Mayfield hits a single. Works the pitcher to throw to 1st 3 times by getting an aggressive lead. He and White had a plan going into the at bat that Mayfield was gonna run on 2-1 count. White agrees to protect. Mayfield steals 2nd. He then takes a massive lead at second because the lefty hasn't thrown to the bag all game. Mayfield goes on the next pitch to 3rd. White singles to the hole up the middle but the SS can't make a play home or at first base. Perfect execution of a run by senior leadership.

3. I am really impressed with Coach Giese and his accumen in handling the battery. You can tell he can get a little frustrated dealing with a young Hermelyn behind the plate but he is always teaching. The bullpen and young arms (3 frosh thus far) have really pitched well. They have a ton of really good arms....hopefully he can develop them into to useful/effective tools.

4. They need to clean up some of the errors on the infield and Hermelyn needs to grow up quick behind the plate. They have the potential to be really good up the middle. Mayfield/Aikin/Herm/Lorenzana can be highlight reel quality and then muff a routine play. That must change in order to advance in the tournament / win close games in conference. Carey is an excellent defensive 3rd basemen....I would put him up in the class of Ryan Rohlinger (06). Defense at first is a bit of a concern.

5. Aikin is a ball player. I love his entire demeanor and approach. He has "it".....and can flat out fly. Overton is a stud. Steady and doesn't get flustered....just hits spots and does work.

The next 2 weeks should reveal alot. Sunny seems to be real relaxed with this group and letting his assistants do their thing.....which is good for everybody. I am cautiously optimistic......but the Big 12 is really good this year. OSU will be a load. UT has really impressed me on LHN during the Nebraska series (see note about winning close games), TCU & Baylor are way better than their early records.
    Very, very good post....... Please post more on this thread about OU Baseball!

I hope we see more fans showing up at the OU home baseball games.
    It’s one of the biggest steps that could happen to advance the program.

/\ no doubt. Season ticket holder living in Austin - OU baseball has always had an uphill battle with football and even hoops when kelvin was churning out winners. However, the Thunder has really killed interest in a program that has been performing exceptionally well on a national stage over the last 5 years. If the program can remodel L Dale to enhance the casual fan experience it will go a long way in helping drive attendance. Fence off the outfield berm. Charge $2 a person and let the Greek community turn it into a spring time loud/rowdy/wear out other teams heckle fest. Allow coolers and food out there. Loosely police for alcohol.

Sunny has done a great job overall but I like his approach with this group of athletes and coaches. Great days ahead.

Originally Posted by jadubya View Post
    /\ no doubt. Season ticket holder living in Austin - OU baseball has always had an uphill battle with football and even hoops when kelvin was churning out winners. However, the Thunder has really killed interest in a program that has been performing exceptionally well on a national stage over the last 5 years. If the program can remodel L Dale to enhance the casual fan experience it will go a long way in helping drive attendance. Fence off the outfield berm. Charge $2 a person and let the Greek community turn it into a spring time loud/rowdy/wear out other teams heckle fest. Allow coolers and food out there. Loosely police for alcohol.

Sunny has done a great job overall but I like his approach with this group of athletes and coaches. Great days ahead.
    I believe you are correct about how the stadium improvements could enhance the casual fan experience and help drive attendance.

You may already know this but the baseball stadium is undergoing yet another improvement. Among other things they will be building a wrought iron fence to block off the outfield berm and the south side of the stadium where it faces the street. They are building a new ticket both that will look similar to the football stadiums booth. This is scheduled to be done in May.

More work will be done in several phases over a few more years.

They plan on bricking the outside of the stadium. It will look like the new construction on campus.
    They also have plans to build new concessions, add additional seating, add chair back seats, and build some type of family playground.

But if they want more people at the early season games they need to figure out how to block the cold wind that whips its way thought the stadium. It’s going to be pretty cold for this weekend’s home games.

jadubya awesome post. post more man

Heck fellas - I will promise to post more if we can get some damn college baseball chatter going! Pretty strong group of educated CB Fans on the shag that I visit with on the regular. I will make sure that I make a point to running insights on land thieves as well. Thx for the nice comments. That is me in Sunnys twitter profile pic.
    2 users like jadubya's post: OU48A, usaosooner

http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m...sebl-body.html

NORMAN, Okla. -- The No. 10-ranked University of Oklahoma baseball team's junior infielder Matt Oberste has been named the Big 12 Conference's Player of the Week, marking the first time a Sooner has earned back-to-back conference player of the week honors since Garrett Buechele achieved the feat in 2011.

Oberste continued his white-hot start to the 2013 season, helping the Sooners go 5-0 last week to open the 2013 campaign with a perfect 9-0 mark. Oberste hit .450 with a team-high nine hits – including two doubles and two home runs – to go along with a team-high eight RBI and four runs scored. He earned All-2013 Kleberg Bank College Classic Team honors after batting a team-best .417 with five hits – including a double and a home run – to go along with five RBI and a run scored over three games at the weekend classic in Corpus Christi, Texas.

Oberste is batting a team-best .441 on the season and leads the Big 12 with 15 hits, three home runs, 17 RBI, 29 total bases and a slugging percentage of .853. He has hit safely in all nine games this season and 12 consecutive games dating back to the 2012 season. The Salisaw, Okla., native tallied three multi-hit and multi-RBI games last week and leads OU with five multi-hit games and six multi-RBI games in 2013.

OU is one of 13 unbeaten teams in NCAA Division I baseball and joins Mississippi State as the only squads to hold a 9-0 mark heading into the third week of the season. The Sooners are off to their best start since flying out of the gates to a 16-0 mark in 2011. Oklahoma is ranked No. 10 by Collegiate Baseball, No. 12 by USA Today, No. 15 by the NCBWA, No. 18 by Baseball America and No. 19 by Perfect Game.

Oklahoma swept a doubleheader over Arkansas Pine Bluff last Tuesday by scores of 4-2 and 11-1 (eight innings) before winning the 2013 Kleberg Bank College Classic title at Whataburger Field, the home of the Houston Astros' Double-A affiliate, the Corpus Christi Hooks, with a perfect 3-0 mark over the weekend. The Sooners topped Iowa, 3-1, on Friday before taking down host Texas A&M Corpus Christi, 4-2, Saturday and coming from behind to defeat New Mexico, 10-8, Sunday.

Oklahoma welcomes No. 29 Pepperdine to L. Dale Mitchell Park next weekend for a three-game set. Fans can purchase tickets online on SoonerSports.com or by calling the OU Athletics Ticket Office at (800) 456-GoOU. Sunday's game will be televised live on FOX Sports Southwest Plus.

OU Baseball game on Friday against Pepperdine has been moved up to 3 pm because of cold weather

Originally Posted by OU48A View Post
    I believe you are correct about how the stadium improvements could enhance the casual fan experience and help drive attendance.

You may already know this but the baseball stadium is undergoing yet another improvement. Among other things they will be building a wrought iron fence to block off the outfield berm and the south side of the stadium where it faces the street. They are building a new ticket both that will look similar to the football stadiums booth. This is scheduled to be done in May.

More work will be done in several phases over a few more years.

They plan on bricking the outside of the stadium. It will look like the new construction on campus.
    They also have plans to build new concessions, add additional seating, add chair back seats, and build some type of family playground.

But if they want more people at the early season games they need to figure out how to block the cold wind that whips its way thought the stadium. It’s going to be pretty cold for this weekend’s home games.
    Is there a detailed master plan or something that OU maintains that the public can view that details their improvement plans? We rarely hear of what the actual plans are for improvement and it seems natural that OU could drum up more support for things if people could actually see what was planned.

Originally Posted by OnlyOne View Post
    Is there a detailed master plan or something that OU maintains that the public can view that details their improvement plans? We rarely hear of what the actual plans are for improvement and it seems natural that OU could drum up more support for things if people could actually see what was planned.
    There is a master plan for the OU baseball facility but I have not seen any renderings of possible or planned projects and I don’t know where you could find them. I did recently hear a spokesperson on the radio talking about their plans.

I believe the baseball program needs all the publicity that it can get…. Letting people know about what they are doing can only help generate new fan support.

They need to take a page out of how OSU has been promoting their football program by giving frequent press updates on the stadium plans. This would help energizes and expand the fan base.
    The following users like this post: OKCChuck

Pepperdine series starting right meow on FSNOK

I'm gonna catch it a little late because I'll be at work until 4. Let's get to 10-0!

Got out of trouble there.

headed to bottom of 1st 0-0 OU up

White with a sacrifice RBI 1-0 OU headed to the 2nd

Are those fans or the players who you can hear yelling? Hilariously obnoxious either way.

^both lol

Bottom of the 2nd still 1-0 OU

That ball hit better reverse it

Lorzena got his hit

headed to the 3rd 1-0 still

Boom Haley went yard 2-0 OU

@Eddie_Rado
    Hunter Haley (first career HR) solo shot to RF gives #Oklahoma 2-0 lead over Pepperdine in the bot 3. Overton (7 Ks thru 3 IP)
    The following users like this post: OnlyOne

Bases juiced bottom of the 3rd no outs .. Lets rackem

Can OU not televise multiple events at once (i.e. baseball and softball)?

Oberste with a single drives in a run 3-0 OU bases still juiced no outs bottom 3rd

Walk

4-0 Bases still loaded. bottom of the 3rd, no outs

RBI single for Lorenzana makes it 5-0 still no outs

Pouring it on now! Keep going! Lets go tony!

Another walk 6-0 no outs

Sac fly for carpenter. 7-0 1 out, runners on 2nd and 1st

Sac fly Haley 8-0 . 2 outs runner on 1st

Finally heading to the 4th 8-0

Pepperdine starts off the 4th with a double

Pepperdine gets a runner across 8-1