The most disappointing thing

Posted 761 day(s) ago 4983 Views 76 Replies
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Suicidal Pony The most disappointing thing

is that I have grown to expect us to shit all over ourselves over the past few years. I wish that weren't true. It no longer surprises me when we play horribly and lose. It used to piss me off. Now, all I do is shake my head. We have to get better across the board. Ugh.

2 users like DRminimega67's post: ChpThril, SoonerSteve1

I can't remember the last time we beat a team with superior talent. I know it was a very long time ago.

Unfortunately, OU has a real tendency to exhibit 'glass chin' syndrome as well.
    2 users like DelMarSooner's post: ab5sr, OU812

Sadly, I've totally prepared myself for 6-5 with no bowl game.

I think this is going to go down as Stoop's worst season ever. Hopefully it will be a catalyst for some basic changes.

For the record, I do think Stoops is capable of being a great coach again, but he needs to reevaluate some of the things he's doing/done. If anything, this season my give him the reality check he needs.

It's hard to blame him much for the recruiting busts, but his ever growing "dog house" is getting ridiculous. More importantly he needs to surround him self with a better assistants, particularly on the lines and OC.
    2 users like CedarRapidsSooner's post: oorah_okie, suncoastsooner

Since OU won the Rose Bowl OU has won only 1 BCS bowl game.

That’s unacceptable and the most disappointing thing.
    The following users like this post: OU812

Originally Posted by DelMarSooner View Post
    I can't remember the last time we beat a team with superior talent. I know it was a very long time ago.

See Texas, last year.

Outside of QB, WR, S and maybe RB they had better talent at every position.

Yea. My preseason prediction record is around 10-2 every year. We will probably lose to the best team on our record, and one team that has no business being on the field with us. Or we will drop two WTF games against teams that are terrible.

Its our new par
    The following users like this post: suncoastsooner

Surely you don't still see us finishing 10-2 this year?

This is not new. We've ben consistent in these respects since the 2003 CC loss to KSU.

I hate admitting it but the OP has a point. I don't get pissed anymore. I am rather docile during and after a loss.

The last few years have just conditioned me to expect Sooner football to underwhelm, underachieve, and let us down with a resounding thud.

I remember when Stoops first came in at his first press conference and he said:

"The best players will play."
    "We'll put athletes in the right places to make the team successful."
    "Oklahoma will be consistent. Grow week to week, month to month, and year to year."
    "We will play to win, not play not to lose."

Does anyone else still believe we do this? Because I certainly can't claim to any longer.

The cold hard fact of the matter is, as much as I believe Stoops is a great coach overall, that he no longer lives and coaches by these philosophies and Oklahoma football is no longer performing to those precedents.

"The best players will play." - Where? Certainly not at runningback. Is anyone really going to try and convince me or anyone else that Whaley and Clay perform better than Williams, Millard, and Finch? That Millard should only get three touches a game and most of those swing passes out of the backfield instead of bruising people with his size between the tackles . . . I'd make a comment about our defensive tackles but I'm not sure we actually have any anymore.

"We'll put athletes in the right places to make the team successful." - Tony Jefferson has played what, three or four different positions in fours years now? Javon Harris can't figure out if he is winding his ass or scratching his watch; every time a camera is on him before a play I shudder watching him look like a confused farm animal after a gunshot. If Millard is such a big, bruising, gifted, athletic specimen at fullback/runningback then why do we virtually only show him the ball in passing form out in the flat on the perimeter instead of handing the ball into his chest in between the tackles? Why can't we even attempt to insert any packages from under center into our playbook to utilize players such as DD Williams and Millard being on the field at the same time? You can't tell me that a version of the I formation would be any less effective in some situations as the pistol diamond formation. If Finch is a damn slot receiver why do we only hand the ball off to him anymore? We throw to the fullbacks in the flat and hand off to an undersized 'slot receiver' behind the line, exclusively anymore? We want to establish a consistent power running game but we can't even line up under center with a fullback and tailback and live with exclusively delayed hand offs? That's our got damn offensive playbook and philosophy?

"Oklahoma will be consistent. Grow week to week, month to month, and year to year." - Have we done that over the last half decade? I can't say we have. The only consistent thing has been underachievement. We haven't grown . . . we have regressed. Our defensive line couldn't penetrate a drunk desperate bride's maid. Our outside linebackers have become glorified free safeties. We have at least one defensive back each season who looks completely lost in lollipop land before every damn play (Javon Harris). Our defense lacks basic fundamentals such as breaking down in front of a ball carrier, wrapping up on the tackle, and keeping their got damn heads up during a hit.

Our offensive line can only perform one discipline each season, pass or run block, but never both. Our quarterback has the mental toughness and concentration of a 12 year old girl and his decision making skills might not even be equal to that; he's a ****ing fifth year senior and he still locks on to ONE receiver and watches him the entire play. Why the **** do we even bother putting more than two out there if he can't even progress past that down a got damn check list? Our offensive playbook has become different variations of the same THREE damn packages. Remember when Oklahoma could actually play a shotgun formation and line up under center in that ancient by gone era of 2006?!?!

"We will play to win, not play not to lose." - 'Big Game Bob', 'The Riverboat Gambler' . . . **** off with that shit. That guy died after LSU beat us in the Sugar Bowl and hasn't been spotted hide nor hair ever since. Oklahoma has become the epitome of playing not to lose instead of playing to win. We put on a punt rush maybe once or twice every 180 minutes of game time. Our offensive schemes and playbook have become more limited than some ****ing high schools! We don't even attempt to throw the ball vertically down field anymore unless we are down or in a tight game (usually that shouldn't be so) until late in the third quarter.

I wasn't pissed last night, I was apathetic, but after writing this and really sitting down to put down my thoughts NOW I am ****ing pissed. I am pissed that I have become conditioned to expect and accept underachievement, inconsistency, and piss poor quality of football . . . I feel like a ****ing Longwhorn fan right now!!!

Originally Posted by SpankyNek View Post
    See Texas, last year.

Outside of QB, WR, S and maybe RB they had better talent at every position.
    2011 was possibly the least talented Texas team they've had in ten-plus years. I think you've got to go back a lot further.

There was a time under stoops that I expected us to rise to the occasion. We played tough and fought hard. If we had a lead in the 2nd half there was no way our D would give it up. Sadly, that seems like ancient history. Now our coaches blame the players and are filled with excuses. We now lose to inferior teams regularly and have no realistic chance at a national title. We have major problems and the company line is everything is fine, we just need to do everything better. I'm not buying that BS anymore. It's a lie. We have serious problems. The longer stoops ignores it, the longer it will take to correct it.
    The following users like this post: traxx

OU is a paper tiger. Perrenially overrated team. No balls.
    2 users like BlackHillsSooner's post: Al F***n Swearingen, biglynn

Every time we beat Texas we beat a team with superior talent. There aren't many teams with more talent than Oklahoma, so it makes sense that we would lose to inferior teams. Jesus Christ.

Coming back to beat Nebraska in Big XII title game in 2010 seems like eons ago.

Agree with the good doctor.

And, O3, you can make your point on every thread. It doesn't make it right. Stoops needs to go back to the drawing room and make some revisions. Our coach used to live by "no excuses." Now, that's all we hear after every loss, year in year out. In fact, you can pretty believe the opposite of everything he says now. I'm referring to comments like "Landry is better," "Millard will get more touches," etc. Stoops has become predictable to his disadvantage.
    2 users like Jason's post: McRib, TenYards

Really these two threads should be merged.

http://www.landthieves.com/board/sho...et-by-the-loss

2011 was possibly the least talented Texas team they've had in ten-plus years. I think you've got to go back a lot further.
    Yes it was, but we were less talented still.
    The following users like this post: OnlyOneOklahoma

Originally Posted by OnlyOne View Post
    Surely you don't still see us finishing 10-2 this year?
    10-2 is not out of the question

Yes it was, but we were less talented still.
    We were so "less talented' that we were ranked #1 in the country going into that game.

I think Stoops is apathetic and it's extended down to his players and has reached the fans as well. We still are excited for the season to start and expect to be ranked high and compete for a title but then an early game shows us "meh - just like last year" and we all realize there's little heart or desire from the staff and that affects the players.

We seemingly are playing on past achievements and accolades. We are Oklahoma... roll over and let us beat you. Only no one is rolling over. Even the "pansies" on the schedule hit us back now. And when they do we stomp off an pout and our coach blames execution.

"Play Like a Champion Today" is apparently just a slogan to be slapped out of habit as players leave the locker room.

Our coaches used to seemingly have an edge over everyone. They out-schemed people. Came up with daring fakes to take advantage of tendencies found in film study. They had entirely new plays right at the right time against a big opponent. Then that staff started to break up and, for the most part, died and was buried in the Orange Bowl against USC. They had a resurgence in one glorious season and then UF kept our all NFL OL from getting us into the EZ and that was it. Haven't seen many flashes of glory since. I kinda think on that January night Bob Stoops said "**** it".

Now - unless someone insults him and he decides to make the next game personal it's "mail it in boys and let me cash my check".

Honestly -- the best thing OU does any more is the pregame video.
    3 users like SoonerSean03's post: boomermagic, Fahooglegods, greensooner

Originally Posted by Yuck Fu View Post
    We were so "less talented' that we were ranked #1 in the country going into that game.
    Obviously, talent is not correlated with the USA Today coach's poll.

Are you arguing we were more talented than LSU and Alabama that week as well?

Originally Posted by DRminimega67 View Post
    is that I have grown to expect us to shit all over ourselves over the past few years. I wish that weren't true. It no longer surprises me when we play horribly and lose. It used to piss me off. Now, all I do is shake my head. We have to get better across the board. Ugh.

I agree 100% my expectations before the game are flat if win great, if we lose oh well. I am starting to balance more things in my life than OU football. I use to eat and breath OU football, it cost me a marriage 6 years ago.

Originally Posted by 87sooner View Post
    10-2 is as much out of the question as me having a threesome with Olivia Wilde and Blake Lively is. If you can honestly look at that schedule and only see one loss...I want some of what you're growing out there, farm boy.
    The following users like this post: Al F***n Swearingen

Originally Posted by drumhead23us View Post
    10-2 is as much out of the question as me having a threesome with Olivia Wilde and Blake Lively is. If you can honestly look at that schedule and only see one loss...I want some of what you're growing out there, farm boy.
    i would say west virginia is the only sure loss ......
    every other game is winnable...

Originally Posted by CedarRapidsSooner View Post

I think this is going to go down as Stoop's worst season ever. Hopefully it will be a catalyst for some basic changes.

For the record, I do think Stoops is capable of being a great coach again, but he needs to reevaluate some of the things he's doing/done. If anything, this season my give him the reality check he needs.

It's hard to blame him much for the recruiting busts, but his ever growing "dog house" is getting ridiculous. More importantly he needs to surround him self with a better assistants, particularly on the lines and OC.
    How do you win 6 but not go to a bowl game?

As long as we have the same head coach we'll get the same results.

Originally Posted by ab5sr View Post
    Either elect not to go, or be excluded by the bowl selectors because one of the six victories came against a high school team from Florida. That'd be my guess.

Originally Posted by ab5sr View Post
    And not play all 12 scheduled games in the process?
    The following users like this post: SpankyNek

I guess you and I haven't been watching the same football team. I think Kansas will be the only FOR SURE win left on the schedule.
    The following users like this post: Al F***n Swearingen

Originally Posted by Filthy View Post
    I guess you and I haven't been watching the same football team. I think Kansas will be the only FOR SURE win left on the schedule.
    we watch the same team....but see different things....
    the general consensus today is that our team sux....and we will lose more than we win going forward...
    but i saw a team that was better than kstate.....(which was ranked in the top 15 and very well coached).....and would have won if not for turnovers....
    i saw a team that will not lose many games this year....only one more for sure...
    i guess we'll have to let it play out....and then get back to me and we'll see what you think at the end of the season...
    the funny thing is...most people thought a week ago that we were going to dominate kstate...
    they were wrong.....now they think everyone will dominate us...
    if you weren't right last week....wtf to you think you are right now?

Originally Posted by CedarRapidsSooner View Post

"Dog house" and suspensions get control of the team and quit acting like an 18-22 year old college student.

most people thought a week ago that we were going to dominate kstate...
    Yes, Yes.....lots of sunshine pumpers, that are not in touch with reality.

I'm not keeping tally of who is right, and who is wrong. I am basing it off of what I saw in the last 3-4 games last season, and knowing that this years team wouldn't be as good as that team that went 9-3. This years team is the same team, who couldnt even muster one offensive Touchdown in Stillwater, until the game was already over. This years offense is the exact same offense....but with less talent.

And Kansas State is about the 5th best team we will play this year.

I am dissapointed you still have one newt left.

Originally Posted by OnlyOneOklahoma View Post
    Every time we beat Texas we beat a team with superior talent. There aren't many teams with more talent than Oklahoma, so it makes sense that we would lose to inferior teams. Jesus Christ.
    This is true, I believe that when we beat Tx it is because we have more desire to win. Texas almost always has better athletes than OU at all levels simply because they recruit so much better than OU does.

Originally Posted by Big Red One View Post
    This is true, I believe that when we beat Tx it is because we have more desire to win. Texas almost always has better athletes than OU at all levels simply because they recruit so much better than OU does.
    I don't think it has much to do with recruiting...I think it has to do with being within 200 miles of 16 million people.
    The following users like this post: suncoastsooner

the general consensus today is that our team sux....and we will lose more than we win going forward...
    but i saw a team that was better than kstate.....(which was ranked in the top 15 and very well coached).....and would have won if not for turnovers....
    i saw a team that will not lose many games this year....only one more for sure...
    i guess we'll have to let it play out....and then get back to me and we'll see what you think at the end of the season...
    the funny thing is...most people thought a week ago that we were going to dominate kstate...
    FOR THE LOVE OF GOD....SOMEONE WHO KNOWS 87's name and address CALL 911 IMMEDIATELY. He drank a pitcher of the Bob Stoops/Jim Jones g**** Kool-aid!

Originally Posted by Al F***n Swearingen View Post
    FOR THE LOVE OF GOD....SOMEONE WHO KNOWS 87's name and address CALL 911 IMMEDIATELY. He drank a pitcher of the Bob Stoops/Jim Jones g**** Kool-aid!
    no....you guys just drank a fifth of dumbazz...

Let's see how you feel in December when you're buying your tickets to Shreveport to watch us play (and lose to) the University of Lousiana @ Monroe -- if we're lucky.

I will be saving my money and watching other bowl games where a team with some heart, balls and fight, is on the field.

Obviously, talent is not correlated with the USA Today coach's poll.

Are you arguing we were more talented than LSU and Alabama that week as well?
    Spanky........just stop. Texas went 8-5 last year.

As far as that week. LSU and Bama were ranked ahead of OU in some polls and behind them in the coaches poll. So they were similar.

Texas was ranked 10th at the time and finished the regular season 7-5. (Losses to OU, KSU, OSU, Missouri and Baylor).

They might have been in the ballpark with OU but to out and out say that Texas had "better talent" than OU last year just isn't true. However if you want to say that they had younger talent that might develop into "better talent" I won't necessarily disagree, but it remains to be seen. If they knock out a couple of 11-1 seasons then it is true but if they go 8-4 or 9-3 I don't think you can say they had "better talent than '11 OU did.

You might be right here, but I just don't see the need for you to call everyone who disagrees with you, dumb or stupid.

I agree that without the 3 turnovers, we win that game easily. But we would still have some things that need improvement.

Landry doesn't have a bad game every week; he has had plenty of good and great games in his career. We're capable of running the table, but we're got to get better on the DL and be more consistent on O. The young guys on the DL have to earn more playing time and play well enough to give the starters a breather so they are fresh for the 4th quarter.

Landry has to step up. He's capable.

Originally Posted by Sooner 76 View Post
    You might be right here, but I just don't see the need for you to call everyone who disagrees with you, dumb or stupid.

I agree that without the 3 turnovers, we win that game easily. But we would still have some things that need improvement.

Landry doesn't have a bad game every week; he has had plenty of good and great games in his career. We're capable of running the table, but we're got to get better on the DL and be more consistent on O. The young guys on the DL have to earn more playing time and play well enough to give the starters a breather so they are fresh for the 4th quarter.

Landry has to step up. He's capable.
    i don't call people stupid who disagree with me...
    i call people stupid for being disrespectful to me or the players....or saying ridiculously stupid things..

Mini your post is dead on. Last year when we lost I to tech I was devastated. When Baylor rolled around, I wanted to hang myself. By the time OSU came, I was numb and I already saw it coming.

Saturday, well... I just got drunk and didn't really care. It was expected.
    The following users like this post: DRminimega67

10-2 is ridiculously stupid.

Originally Posted by Al F***n Swearingen View Post
    10-2 is ridiculously stupid.
    if i said it was a certainty.....it might be..
    i said it was not out of the question...

thank you for taking the time to write that, suncoast. great post.
    SpankyNek, PLEASE change your avatar. Thing freaks me the **** out.

This team is capable of winning that one, the KSU game we lost and every other game on the schedule. But it will take a relatively mistake free game. That is why this shit is coming home to roost on Stoops' door step. Its his responsibility to get them to that point and put them in game plans that will allow that. Sound defensive schemes and an offensive philosophy that does not ask any one player to do too much will make sure talent will prevail. The defensive schemes look better so far, but until the meer-kat is put to a merciful death, this shit will continue to happen.

I want to see more pro set, play action football with the QB under center and the RB and FB running downhill. That in and of itself will help the defense. The era of spread football is ending. Bama's been showing us that for a few years now. KSU showed us that Sat. night & I'm afraid this is the direction the turds in austin are going. If Stoops doesn't get with it, we'll be in catchup mode for a decade.

Originally Posted by Big Red One View Post
    Thats a generalization. Skill positions are usually equal or slight edge to OU. Texas historically has had more depth and size on the lines. Not always, but usually true.

Totally agree. But, neither is 8-4. Therein lies the problem with this year's team.

Originally Posted by Sooner Eclipse View Post
    This team is capable of winning that one, the KSU game we lost and every other game on the schedule. But it will take a relatively mistake free game. That is why this shit is coming home to roost on Stoops' door step. Its his responsibility to get them to that point and put them in game plans that will allow that. Sound defensive schemes and an offensive philosophy that does not ask any one player to do too much will make sure talent will prevail. The defensive schemes look better so far, but until the meer-kat is put to a merciful death, this shit will continue to happen.

I want to see more pro set, play action football with the QB under center and the RB and FB running downhill. That in and of itself will help the defense. The era of spread football is ending. Bama's been showing us that for a few years now. KSU showed us that Sat. night & I'm afraid this is the direction the turds in austin are going. If Stoops doesn't get with it, we'll be in catchup mode for a decade.
    i saw nothing terribly wrong with the overall offensive scheme...
    at times...we ran the ball very well.....i really liked the draws/delays they were running ...especially on that first drive...
    if we had a qb that was more mobile and a little more accurate.....you guys would be slobbering all over this offense..

Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Totally agree. But, neither is 8-4. Therein lies the problem with this year's team.
    the problem in game 3 was ball security...simple as that...
    i'm really not seeing any catastrophic issues that some posters are ranting about...
    and it was just game 3......